Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Warrenton, Virginia Historical Markers

 
Virginia C 58 and CB 2 Along Lee Highway image, Touch for more information
By Craig Swain
Virginia C 58 and CB 2 Along Lee Highway
Virginia (Fauquier County), Warrenton — CB-2 — Ashland Farm
The Holtzclaw family acquired Ashland through a grant issued by Lt. Gov. Alexander Spotswood in 1724, and lived on this land until the 1920s. While a portion of the house dates to about 1725, the main residence was completed by 1889, and was . . . — Map (db m7748) HM
Virginia (Fauquier County), Warrenton — C-57 — Black Horse Cavalry
The Black Horse Cavalry was conceived at a gathering of Warrenton lawyers in 1858 and was among the local militia companies called to active duty by Governor Henry Wise in 1859. The Black Horse led a successful charge against Union forces at the . . . — Map (db m71039) HM
Virginia (Fauquier County), Warrenton — BrentmoorSpilman-Mosby House
Judge Edward M. Spilman of the Fauquier County Circuit Court constructed this house in 1859-61. James Keith, who served in the Black Horse Cavalry and later became president of the Supreme Court of Appeals of Virginia, acquired it in 1869. John . . . — Map (db m7750) HM
Virginia (Fauquier County), Warrenton — C-92 — Brentmoor: The Spilman-Mosby House
This classic Italian Villa-style house was completed in 1861 for Fauquier County Judge Edward M. Spilman. James Keith, who later served as president of the Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals (1895-1916), acquired it in 1869. John Singleton Mosby . . . — Map (db m1262) HM
Virginia (Fauquier County), Warrenton — Buckland RacesAn Inglorious Skedaddle
For Gen. J.E.B. Stuart and his Confederate cavalry, the 1863 campaigns brought fewer victories against the improving cavalry corps of the Union Army of the Potomac—that is, until October 19, 1863. Here on Chestnut Hill the . . . — Map (db m784) HM
Virginia (Fauquier County), Warrenton — C-29 — Colonial Road
This crossroad is the ancient Dumfries-Winchester highway. Over it William Fairfax accompanied George Washington, then a lad of sixteen, on his first visit to Lord Fairfax at Greenway Court. It was on this occasion that Washington assisted in . . . — Map (db m785) HM
Virginia (Fauquier County), Warrenton — Executions in the YardThe Gallows
It is possible that early executions were carried out here in the exercise yard, however it is equally probably that they occurred in front of the jail, close to the courthouse or at another public location. Hangings were public in Virginia before . . . — Map (db m61394) HM
Virginia (Fauquier County), Warrenton — C-55 — Fredericksburg Campaign
Because he had moved too slowly to attack Gen. Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia, Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan was relieved of his command of the Army of the Potomac by President Abraham Lincoln. McClellan was replaced by Maj. Gen. Ambrose . . . — Map (db m108462) HM
Virginia (Fauquier County), Warrenton — John Singleton Mosby
(front face) Image of Col. Mosby. (right side) This tribute is affectionately dedicated to Col. John S. Mosby, whose deeds of valor and heroic devotion to state and southern principles are the pride and admiration of his soldiers, . . . — Map (db m1292) HM
Virginia (Fauquier County), Warrenton — Lafayette’s Stepping Stone
During his 1825 visit to Warrenton, General Lafayette is said to have stood upon this stone. Courtesy: The Bartenstein Family — Map (db m1294) HM
Virginia (Fauquier County), Warrenton — G-2 — Leeton Forest
Half a mile east is the site of Leeton Forest, latter-day home of Charles Lee, Attorney General in Washington's and Adams' cabinets, 1795-1801. The tract was patented by Thomas Lee, of Stratford, in 1718 and descended to his son, Richard Henry Lee, . . . — Map (db m19359) HM
Virginia (Fauquier County), Warrenton — C-9 — McClellan’s Farewell
After President Abraham Lincoln relieved Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan of command of the Army of the Potomac on 7 Nov. 1862, the general composed a farewell order. It was read to the army by divisions on 10 Nov. when the new commander, Maj. Gen. . . . — Map (db m108463) HM
Virginia (Fauquier County), Warrenton — Norris Tavern / The Warren Green
Norris Tavern. On this site stood the Norris Tavern built by Thaddeus Norris in 1819. It was the scene of a banquet tendered to General Lafayette by the citizens of Fauquier on his visit to the United States in 1825. The Warren Green. . . . — Map (db m1175) HM
Virginia (Fauquier County), Warrenton — C-54 — Second Manassas CampaignManassas Junction Operations
Eight miles southeast, at Bristoe (then Bristoe Station), Maj. Gen. Ambrose P. Hill's division of Maj. Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson's corps destroyed the Orange & Alexandria Railroad bridges over Kettle Run and Broad Run on 27 Aug. 1862. The . . . — Map (db m4799) HM
Virginia (Fauquier County), Warrenton — C-58 — Second Manassas CampaignStuart's Catlett Station Raid
On 22 Aug. 1862, Maj. Gen. J.E.B. Stuart led his cavalry on a raid behind Maj. Gen. John Pope's army. Stuart crossed the Rappahannock River at Waterloo Bridge, two miles west, then rode around Pope's right flank just north of here to attack Catlett . . . — Map (db m7747) HM
Virginia (Fauquier County), Warrenton — C-60 — Second Manassas CampaignStrategic Rappahannock River Crossings
A mile northwest stood Waterloo Bridge, where on 22 Aug. 1862 Maj. Gen. J. E. B. Stuart crossed the Rappahannock River to threaten the rear of Union Maj. Gen. John Pope’s army 14 miles southeast at Catlett Station on the Orange & Alexandria . . . — Map (db m36792) HM
Virginia (Fauquier County), Warrenton — Warrenton
The first court house for Fauquier County was built in 1760 on two acres of land belonging to Richard Henry Lee. The settlement that sprang up in its vicinity was first known as Fauquier Court House and under that name was laid off as a town to . . . — Map (db m1268) HM
Virginia (Fauquier County), Warrenton — WarrentonHome of the “Gray Ghost.”
Although Warrenton was spared the ravages of major battles during the war, control of the town changed hands 67 times and many homes and churches housed soldiers or were used as hospitals. Warrenton was the home of several notable Confederates . . . — Map (db m41657) HM
Virginia (Fauquier County), Warrenton — Q-9 — Warrenton
Chosen as county seat in 1759, and first called Fauquier Court House, Warrenton was laid out as a town in 1790. John Marshall began law practice here. In the War Between the States it was the center of operations north of the Rappahannock and many . . . — Map (db m58995) HM
Virginia (Fauquier County), Warrenton — Warrenton CemeteryNotable Confederate Resting Place
The gate to your right opens to Warrenton Cemetery, the final resting place of 986 Confederate soldiers, of every Southern state, about 650 casualties of the Civil War. Many wounded Confederates were evacuated to Warrenton and vicinity after the . . . — Map (db m57286) HM

20 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement