Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Warwick, New York Historical Markers

 
"The Colony" Marker image, Touch for more information
By Clifton Patrick, March 21, 2010
"The Colony" Marker
New York (Orange County), Warwick — "The Colony"
Founded in 1919 by Sterling Forest Farms Corporation as the first African-American vacation community in New York State. — Map (db m29643) HM
New York (Orange County), Warwick — 1795 Cemetery
Second oldest ground of the Old School Baptist Church containing graves of many early Warwick residents. Owned by Historical Society. — Map (db m21093) HM
New York (Orange County), Warwick — Bellvale
Settlers were attracted to this beautiful valley by the swift flowing waters of the Longhouse Creek which provided power for mills. — Map (db m21095) HM
New York (Orange County), Warwick — Burgoyne’s Army
Prisoners of war after Battle of Saratoga marched south along this road Dec. 3, 1778. — Map (db m21079) HM
New York (Orange County), Warwick — Camp Site
Used by troops on way to join General Sullivan at Easton in spring of 1779 and on return in fall of that year. — Map (db m21081) HM
New York (Orange County), Warwick — Campground
of Third New Hampshire regiment returning from Sullivan – Clinton campaign against the Six Nations Oct. 1, 1779. — Map (db m21080) HM
New York (Orange County), Warwick — Chuckhass
Signed Indian deed 1703 to Wawayanda patent lands. Lived ½ mile south on Benj. Aske’s farm named Warwick by owner in 1719. — Map (db m21092) HM
New York (Orange County), Warwick — Conrad Sly Homestead
Settled in Warwick 1778, a blacksmith who forged Rev. War chain that crossed Hudson River at West Point. Pvt. in Col. Hathorn’s Regt. The Sly FamilyMap (db m21090) HM
New York (Orange County), Warwick — Hallowed Ground
This park was purchased by the Village of Warwick with state fund; corporate and individual donations to the Warwick Conservancy, Inc. — Map (db m34094) HM
New York (Orange County), Warwick — Old School Baptist Church
Built 1810 Organized 1764 • James Benedict Elder Ordained Nov. 7, 1765 • — Map (db m40607) HM
New York (Orange County), Warwick — Orange County
One of original counties of the Province of New York, established 1683 by Gov. Thomas Dongan, named for William, Prince of Orange. — Map (db m81838) HM
New York (Orange County), Warwick — Order of the Eastern Star
. . . — Map (db m40605) HM
New York (Orange County), Warwick — Residence site of James Burt
Residence site of James Burt 1761-1852 Lieutenant in Revolution Assemblyman and Senator 1797-1826 — Map (db m47778) HM
New York (Orange County), Warwick — Sayerville
Log blockhouse stood here. Home of Daniel Sayer 1768 until his stone house was built 1783. Sayer homestead for five generations. — Map (db m21094) HM
New York (Orange County), Warwick — Site of Log Meeting House of the Baptist Church of Warwick
James Benedict ordained and installed as pastor Nov. 7, 1765 was the first minister and this the first church in the valley. He died Sept. 9, 1792 aged 72 years. His wife, Mary Blackman, is buried beside him in this churchyard, which is filled with . . . — Map (db m34103) HM
New York (Orange County), Warwick — Spanktown School
Established as Union School by common school law 1813 Warwick School District #4 Annexed 1936 by Seward Inst. Acquired by St. Joseph's 1938. Dedicated 2010 Florida Hist. Soc. — Map (db m47752) HM
New York (Orange County), Warwick — The Continental Army
Camped here on the march from Newburgh to Morristown — Map (db m21122) HM
New York (Orange County), Warwick — Toll Gate
At this point stood a Toll Gate established 1808 on the new road to Sterling a short – cut to northern New Jersey & New York City — Map (db m21107) HM
New York (Orange County), Warwick — Warwick Historic District
Village of Warwick Historic District listed on both New York State & National Registers of Historic Places — Map (db m40606) HM
New York (Orange County), Warwick — Wisner Tract
Capt. John Wisner, 1722 - 78 Colonial Wars & Revolution Purchased 2064 acres in 1766 House built by great-grandson Henry B. Wisner, 1840 — Map (db m95734) HM

20 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement