Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Wayne, New Jersey Historical Markers

 
Marker on Dey Mansion image, Touch for more information
By Bill Coughlin, January 15, 2011
Marker on Dey Mansion
New Jersey (Passaic County), Wayne — Colonel Theunis Dey
The Mansion of Colonel Theunis Dey The Headquarters of General Washington July ~ Oct ~ Nov ~ 1780 Acquired and restored 1930-1934 by The Passaic County Park Commission Marked by Capt. Abraham Godwin Chapter New Jersey Society S.A.R.       . . . — Map (db m39733) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Wayne — Demarest House
This house, which once served as a Dutch Reformed Church Parsonage, was built by John Ryerson before 1762. It was sold to the Demarests around 1814. — Map (db m21817) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Wayne — DeMille Gatehouse
This building served as the gatehouse to Pamilco, the seventy six acre estate built by Hollywood producer Cecil B. DeMille’s father who first came to Pompton Lakes in 1891. — Map (db m94655) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Wayne — Dey Mansion
Home of Col. Theunis Dey, built about 1740. Twice used by Washington as headquarters in 1780, when the army was in Totowa. — Map (db m7700) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Wayne — Encampments #3 & #14
Site of Revolutionary War Encampments #3 & #14 1780 — Map (db m21814) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Wayne — Headquarters of General George Washington
This brick Georgian mansion was built by Colonel Theunis Dey in 1742. It was used as headquarters by General George Washington from July 1 to July 29, 1780 and again from October 8 to November 27, 1780 because of its strategic position and . . . — Map (db m7701) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Wayne — Kipp – Nellis Farm
This land was part of the Kipp – Nellis Farm Settled in 1723 by Cornelius and Eva Berdan Kipp. The farm served the Preakness Valley area for 250 years. The farmhouse, located across Nellis Drive, was built circa 1840 by Nicholas and Sophia . . . — Map (db m62874) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Wayne — Morris Canal1824       1924
Morris Canal National Registered Landmark Feeder Canal crossed here → ← Passaic County — Map (db m62879) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Wayne — Morris Canal1824       1924
National Registered Landmark Feeder Canal crossed here → ← Passaic County — Map (db m65945) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Wayne — Samuel Van Saun House
Headquarters • Nov. • 1780 of Maj. Gen. Lafayette Placed by The William Paterson Chapter D.A.R. 1931 — Map (db m62858) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Wayne — Schuyler – Colfax
This house is an example of 18th century architecture. The Schuyler and Colfax families were prominent in shaping New Jersey history. — Map (db m7703) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Wayne — Schuyler Colfax House
This house, which is Wayne’s oldest, was built in 1695 by Ardent Schuyler, one of the leaders of the original settlement. William Colfax, who married Hester Schuyler in 1783, gave the house the Colfax name. — Map (db m7704) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Wayne — Van Saun House
This old Dutch home was built in 1769 by Samuel Van Saun. In 1780 it served as headquarters of Major General Marquis de Lafayette and his troops. — Map (db m7702) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Wayne — Washington Headquarters~ Preakness ~
July 1 – 29, and October 9 - November 27, 1780, Washington had headquarters here at the house of Colonel Theunis Dey. The main army encamped along Totowa Heights. — Map (db m39732) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Wayne — Washington Headquarters — Preakness —
July 1-29, and October 9 – November 27, 1780, Washington had headquarters here at the house of Colonel Theunis Dey. The main army encamped along Totowa Heights. — Map (db m39903) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Wayne — Wayne Township1847           1997
Indian peoples inhabited this land from about 10,500 B.C. up to the early historic period. At the time of the European Settlement, they were referred to as the Munsee Delawares. In 1694 Arent Schuyler, on a fact finding mission to the Indians in . . . — Map (db m62873) HM

16 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement