Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Waynesboro, Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
Michigan Cavalry Brigade Marker image, Touch for more information
By Don Morfe, May 30, 2015
Michigan Cavalry Brigade Marker
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Waynesboro — 728 — Battle of Monterey Pass/Michigan Cavalry BrigadeMonterey Pass Battlefield Park
(side 1) Battle of Monterey Pass During a torrential rainstorm on the night of July 4-5, 1863, the Michigan Cavalry Brigade moved to intercept the retreating Army of Northern Virginia by attacking the miles-long wagon train of . . . — Map (db m83958) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Waynesboro — Cupola – Waynesboro’s Crown Jewel
She inspired, she endured for 52 years, she symbolized the future of education in the Waynesboro area. Waynesboro High School 1937-1954 Waynesboro Area Senior High School 1954-1962 East Junior High School 1962-1989 Superintendent – . . . — Map (db m103546) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Waynesboro — Dr. Henry Harbaugh
Pennsylvania-German author, theologian, and educator, 1817-1867, was born one and one-half miles distant. The house is marked by a monument. — Map (db m83980) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Waynesboro — Gettysburg Campaign
Gen. Jubal Early's Confederate troops occupied Waynesboro June 23, 1863. Next day they marched by Mont Alto to Greenwood, or Black Gap, where, June 25, they were ordered by Gen. Ewell to march to York. — Map (db m8002) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Waynesboro — John Wallace, Jr.
Laid out the present town in 1797 and named it Waynesburg in honor of General Anthony Wayne. In 1831, name changed to Waynesboro. Stone portion of the Wallace house still stands about 200 yards southeast of here. — Map (db m8003) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Waynesboro — Nearby On This Tract of Land Called Mount Vernon
Stood the home of Colonial Patriot John Wallace, Junior February 15, 1755 - May 1811 Founder of Waynesboro, Pennsylvania - 1797 The town laid out in 1797 was named Waynesburg until 1831. The plot included the original "settlement" which came to be . . . — Map (db m8004) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Waynesboro — Old Log Building
The one-and-a-half story structure that stands about 100 yds. north of here is one of the oldest buildings in Waynesboro. Built for a schoolhouse and church between 1770 and 1780 by John Bourns. Later used as dwelling. — Map (db m8000) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Waynesboro — Snow Hill Cloister
An offshoot of Ephrata Cloister in Lancaster County, deriving its name from the Snowberger family active in its foundation. Composed of widows, widowers, and single persons, with goods held in common, it prospered from 1814 until the Civil War — Map (db m83982) HM

8 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement