Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

West Columbia, South Carolina Historical Markers

 
“City of Columbia” Anchor Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Coughlin, August 9, 2013
“City of Columbia” Anchor Marker
South Carolina (Lexington County), West Columbia — “City of Columbia” Anchor
Anchor from C. S. N. “City of Columbia” ---------- Donated by Mrs. Lemuel Hall In memory of Lemuel Hall Mayor of West Columbia for 24 years — Map (db m67489) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), West Columbia — 32-17 — 319th Bombardment Group
Activated in 1942 and stationed here at Columbia Army Air Base February through April of 1945, the 319th participated in many World War II campaigns in Europe and the Pacific. The group has recieved numerous honors, including two . . . — Map (db m10741) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), West Columbia — 32-21 — Bombardment Groups
In 1942 the 310th, 321st, 340th groups trained here at Columbia Army Air Base for World War II. All participated in 9 campaigns and each received 2 Distinguished Unit Citations. — Map (db m10901) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), West Columbia — 32-13 — Columbia Army Air Base / The Doolittle Raiders
Columbia Army Air Base Built during 1941 as the Lexington County Airport, this airfield became the Columbia Army Air Base shortly after the U.S. entered World War II in December, 1941. The base was used to train crews for medium bombardment . . . — Map (db m10680) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), West Columbia — Delingo SchoolPineview Historical Recognition Site
From 1900 until 1916 Lexington County School District No. 68 operated a public school on this site. The building consisted of a single room where one teacher taught an average of 30 students of all grades. — Map (db m69553) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), West Columbia — Friday’s Ferry
This ferry was named after the German settler Martin Fridig, who changed his name to Friday. He came to the area about 1735. In 1754 Friday received permission from the Colonial assembly in Charleston to operate a ferry across the Congaree near . . . — Map (db m67762) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), West Columbia — Gervais Street Bridge
This 1,412-foot-long arch bridge opened in 1927. At the time, the bridge was considered exceptional because of its innovative use of reinforced concrete and because it was the widest roadway in South Carolina. The Gervais Street Bridge was the only . . . — Map (db m67761) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), West Columbia — Milestones
A milestone was one of a series of numbered markers placed along a road or other type of boundary at intervals of one mile, or occasionally, parts of a mile. These stone markers indicated either the distance traveled or the remaining distance . . . — Map (db m67771) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), West Columbia — 32-15 — Mt. Hebron United Methodist Church / Temperance Hall
Mt. Hebron United Methodist Church This congregation, organized ca. 1800 in the home of Martin Hook, built its first house of worship at the Half Way Ground, near here. In 1837 a new church was erected at this site on land donated by John and . . . — Map (db m21598) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), West Columbia — Old Congaree River Bridges
Before a bridge was attempted at this location, earlier bridges farther down river had been built, but were washed away in floods. Consequently, for more than 30 years only ferry service provided transportation across the river. In 1827 the . . . — Map (db m67766) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), West Columbia — River Inn, c. 1740s
The transacting of Public Business on Saturdays . . . are executed at Taverns [where] there is more Company of a Saturday, than in the Church on Sunday.”The Rev. Charles Woodmason. “Sermon at the Congarees.” C. . . . — Map (db m67758) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), West Columbia — 32-32 — Saluda Factory Cemetery
This cemetery, thought to contain graves of supervisors and workers in the post-Civil War community of Saludaville, includes 31 marked graves and between 525 and 900 total burials. The Saluda Factory was a modest success before the war and was . . . — Map (db m39236) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), West Columbia — Saluda Factory Ruins
The Saluda Factory, built in 1834, was one of the first water-powered textile mills in South Carolina. During the Civil War the mill manufactured material used in making shirts and woolen uniforms for the Confederate Army. This area saw . . . — Map (db m45045) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), West Columbia — 32-5 — Shelling of Columbia
Prior to the capture of Columbia by Gen. William T. Sherman, Federal artillery shelled the city on February 16, 1865, from the batteries on this hill and in the road at this end of the Congaree River bridge. Shots were fired at the Arsenal (site of . . . — Map (db m21652) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), West Columbia — 32-7 — The Cherokee Path
Before the Revolution, two major trading routes came together near here. Branching to the west was the road to New Windsor Township on the Savannah. The Cherokee Path extended north to Ninety Six and south through Saxe Gotha Township on the . . . — Map (db m43791) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), West Columbia — 32-13B — The Doolittle Raiders
In February 1942, twenty-four B-25 bomber crews of the 17th Bombardment Group at Columbia Army Air Base volunteered to take part in a secret project headed by Lt. Col. James H. Doolittle. This group was the nucleus of the Doolittle Raiders . . . — Map (db m11984) HM

16 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 9, 2020