Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

West Columbia, Texas Historical Markers

 
Columbia Marker image, Touch for more information
By Debbie A. Sutherland, November 20, 2011
Columbia Marker
Texas (Brazoria County), West Columbia — 9547 — Columbia
In September 1836 Columbia, now known as West Columbia, became capital of the Republic of Texas. This took place with the removal of the ad interim government here from Velasco. After the election called by ad interim President David G. Burnet, the . . . — Map (db m49703) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), West Columbia — 14749 — Columbia - The First Capital of The Republic of Texas
In 1836 and 1837, the town of Columbia (Now West Columbia) served as the capital of the Republic of Texas. Josiah Hughes Bell, a colonist with Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred, surveyed and platted Columbia in 1824 to serve as a center for . . . — Map (db m41707) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), West Columbia — 13949 — Columbia Rosenwald School
A grant from the Rosenwald Foundation of Chicago led to the establishment of a local school for African American students. The foundation represented a collaboration between Julius Rosenwald, President of Sears, Roebuck, and Company, and the noted . . . — Map (db m83276) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), West Columbia — 9548 — Columbia United Methodist Church
This congregation traces its history to early Methodist missionary activity during Texas' years as a republic in 1839. The Rev. Isaac L. G. Strickland was assigned to the Brazoria Circuit and organized a Methodist Church in Columbia (now West . . . — Map (db m46456) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), West Columbia — First Capitol of the Republic of Texas
Site of First Capitol of Republic of Texas 1836 - 1837 — Map (db m129404) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), West Columbia — 9575 — Home of George B. McKinstry 1802 - 1837
A member of Austin's colony, 1829. Soldier in the Battle of Velasco; delegate to the General Convention, 1832; chief justice of Brazoria County, 1836. In this home, built about 1830, Stephen F. Austin died, December 27, 1836 — Map (db m78618) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), West Columbia — 9560 — Near Site of First Capitol of the Republic of Texas
Near site of The First Capitol of the Republic of Texas About 1833 Leman Kelsy built a story-and-a-half clapboard structure near this location. When Columbia became capital of the Republic of Texas in 1836, the building was one of two . . . — Map (db m43057) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), West Columbia — 9546 — Old Columbia Cemetery
Site given by Josiah H. Bell family out of their grant, the first deeded to one of "Old 300" in colony of Stephen F. Austin. Has graves of many heroes of Texas Revolution of 1836. Deeded in 1852 to Bethel Presbyterian Church. Since 1933 managed . . . — Map (db m46452) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), West Columbia — 9588 — Phillips Family Cemetery
Zeno Phillips, one of Stephen F. Austin's "Old 300" colonists, acquired land here in 1829. Zeno and his brothers John Clark, Sidney, and James Ray (J.R.) Phillips, served in the Republic of Texas Army. The cemetery began with the burial of Zeno and . . . — Map (db m96305) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), West Columbia — 9526 — Site of the Home of Josiah Hughes Bell 1791 - 1838
One of the “Old Three Hundred” who came to Texas with Stephen F. Austin in 1821 First alcade (sic, alcalde) of Austin's Colony On this tract of 6,642 acres, granted him in 1824, was later built the town of Columbia, First . . . — Map (db m52793) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), West Columbia — Vietnam Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to all the veterans who have served their country. They served with honor, and now we honor them. — Map (db m9552) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), West Columbia — 9515 — W. H. Abrams Well No. 1
In 1920, Texas & Pacific Railway official William H. Abrams (1843-1926) of Dallas owned this old plantation land, then considered fit only for pasture. He leased mineral rights to the Texas Company (now Texaco, Inc.), whose drilling reached a climax . . . — Map (db m52766) HM

12 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement