Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
30 entries match your criteria.
 
 

Historical Markers and War Memorials in West Orange

 
Access Granted Marker (<i>wide view • this marker on right • related marker on left</i>) image, Touch for more information
By Cosmos Mariner, June 28, 2019
Access Granted Marker (wide view • this marker on right • related marker on left)
GEOGRAPHIC SORT
1New Jersey (Essex County), West Orange — Access GrantedThomas Edison National Historical Park
As the National Park Service (NPS) enters its second century preserving and protecting the natural and cultural resources of America, a commitment to providing unparalleled access to national parks remains. Before the establishment of the NPS, . . . — Map (db m135991) HM
2New Jersey (Essex County), West Orange — Anthony Olef
The first permanent settler who came here in 1678 and lived within the present day boundaries of West Orange. His home was located just a short distance from this location in current day Llewellyn Park nearly 177 years before the park was founded. . . . — Map (db m137103) HM
3New Jersey (Essex County), West Orange — Black Maria Replica
. . . — Map (db m24249) HM
4New Jersey (Essex County), West Orange — Blacksmith Shop – Building 7
A Blacksmith Shop has been a feature of the West Orange laboratory complex since it was built in 1887. The first shop was located in the back of Building 4. It moved to an unknown location in 1900 and burned down in 1911. The current Blacksmith . . . — Map (db m91908) HM
5New Jersey (Essex County), West Orange — Chemistry LaboratoryBuilding 2
In 1887 this building was one of the best-equipped chemistry laboratories in the world. Within its walls, Thomas Edison and his chemists experimented on everything from phonograph records to rubber. “Grand science, chemistry,” Edison . . . — Map (db m24242) HM
6New Jersey (Essex County), West Orange — Edison Cement Slab
From The first concrete highway in New Jersey Built in 1912 by the State Highway Department — Map (db m91912) HM
7New Jersey (Essex County), West Orange — Edison’s Home, GlenmontEdison National Historic Site, NJ
In 1886 Thomas Edison bought Glenmont as a gift for his bride, Mina Miller. After moving in, Edison said that the 23-room Victorian mansion was “a great deal too nice for me, but it isn’t half nice enough for my little wife.” The . . . — Map (db m12011) HM
8New Jersey (Essex County), West Orange — Electrical InnovationThomas Edison National Historical Park
If buses are desirable for intercity traffic, the electric one is the only practicable one. It is noiseless, odorless, and can be stopped and started quicker than the gasoline vehicle, and is also more economic in operations. -Thomas A . . . — Map (db m136093) HM
9New Jersey (Essex County), West Orange — GarageEdison National Historic Site, NJ
Built in 1908 with Edison Portland Cement, construction of this garage gave Thomas Edison experience in using concrete as a building material. Although it was built with conventional methods, Edison used the garage to help develop his own technique . . . — Map (db m12039) HM
10New Jersey (Essex County), West Orange — GlenmontNational Historic Site
Home of Thomas Alva Edison from 1886 to his death on October 18, 1931. Here three children were born to him and his wife, Mina. The Library over the entranceway was his ”Thought Laboratory” for many ideas which later took shape at . . . — Map (db m9648) HM
11New Jersey (Essex County), West Orange — Greenhouse and Barn
This greenhouse, built in 1909 to replace a smaller one, supplied the Edison household with potted plants and cut flowers year-round. The two-story potting shed, made of Edison Portland Cement, provided work space on the first floor and gardener’s . . . — Map (db m12037) HM
12New Jersey (Essex County), West Orange — Japanese Stone Lanterns
          In order to express forever the appreciation of the Japanese people of the service done by the late Thomas Alva Edison for the welfare of mankind, we respectfully present herewith a stone lantern as a memorial gift to his tomb.       . . . — Map (db m137105) HM
13New Jersey (Essex County), West Orange — Llewellyn ParkEdison National Historic Site, NJ
In 1853 New York merchant Llewellyn S. Haskell hired architect Alexander Jackson Davis to transform an old farmhouse on the eastern slope of Orange Mountain. Impressed with the scenic vistas, Haskell purchased more land and created Llewellyn Park . . . — Map (db m12035) HM
14New Jersey (Essex County), West Orange — Llewellyn Park Gatehouse
1 Parkway West Orange, New Jersey Designated an Historic Landmark by the West Orange Historic Preservation Commission — Map (db m50150) HM
15New Jersey (Essex County), West Orange — Making MoviesEdison National Historic Site, NJ
In 1893 the Black Maria became the world’s first building constructed as a motion picture studio. This odd-shaped structure was designed to keep sunlight on the stage while Edison’s film pioneers made kinetoscope films. Although most filming took . . . — Map (db m24179) HM
16New Jersey (Essex County), West Orange — Metallurgical LaboratoryBuilding 4
Metals were vital to Thomas Edison – from iron, copper, and various alloys used in new inventions to gold for plating phonograph record molds. Here in the metallurgical laboratory, workers collected, assayed, and evaluated the metals used for . . . — Map (db m24246) HM
17New Jersey (Essex County), West Orange — Mina Miller EdisonWomen's Heritage Trail
Mina Miller Edison was not content simply to be the wife of America's most famous inventor. As a devout Methodist, she firmly believed that each individual possesses the power to make positive change in their community. Her passion for . . . — Map (db m95020) HM
18New Jersey (Essex County), West Orange — Pattern ShopBuilding 3
Within this building carpenters shaped wood models, or patterns. From these wooden pieces, Edison and his employees made the parts for working models, specialized machinery, and other devices. The skilled workers in the Pattern Shop and other shops . . . — Map (db m24243) HM
19New Jersey (Essex County), West Orange — Second Commercial Electric Railroad Locomotive
The truck of the second commercial electric railroad locomotive, built by Tho’s. A. Edison and operated with freight and passenger cars over three miles of railroad at Menlo Park, N.J. in 1882. — Map (db m24428) HM
20New Jersey (Essex County), West Orange — The Black MariaEdison National Historic Site, NJ
This replica movie studio symbolizes the early motion picture industry. Called the “revolving photograph building” when constructed in 1892-93, the studio was soon nicknamed the “Black Maria” by Edison’s employees - probably . . . — Map (db m24155) HM
21New Jersey (Essex County), West Orange — The CourtyardEdison National Historic Site, NJ
This open space between the laboratory buildings served many purposes: delivery area, test site, motion picture set, photograph backdrop, greeting area, and parking lot. Activities here changed almost daily. The laboratory buildings surrounding the . . . — Map (db m24181) HM
22New Jersey (Essex County), West Orange — The Estate Staff
This laundry yard was often filled with clothes hung out to dry. Inside the house domestic servants cooked, cleaned, and tended to the family’s needs. Mina Edison supervised a staff that included a cook, governess, personal maid, kitchen maid, . . . — Map (db m12040) HM
23New Jersey (Essex County), West Orange — The Laboratory ComplexEdison National Historic Site, NJ
Building 5, the largest of the laboratory buildings, extends 250 feet along Lakeside Avenue. Henry Hudson Holly, architect of Thomas Edison’s home, planned this single, three-story building. But Holly’s building proved too small for Edison’s plans . . . — Map (db m24156) HM
24New Jersey (Essex County), West Orange — The Main GateEdison National Historic Site, NJ
From 1887 to 1931 Thomas A. Edison, his laboratory employees, and invited guests entered the laboratory complex through this gate and arch. Guards and a tall picket fence (replaced by this chain-link fence in 1917) prevented sightseers and . . . — Map (db m24160) HM
25New Jersey (Essex County), West Orange — The Truck of the First Commercial Electric Railroad Locomotive.
Built by Tho’s Edison and operated with several cars at Menlo Park, N. J. in 1881. — Map (db m94629) HM
26New Jersey (Essex County), West Orange — The Truck of the Second Commercial Electric Railroad Locomotive.
Built by Tho’s A. Edison and operated with freight and passenger cars over three miles of Railroad at Menlo Park, N.J. in 1882 — Map (db m94630) HM
27New Jersey (Essex County), West Orange — Thomas A. Edison IndustriesEdison National Historic Site, NJ
Thomas Edison was not just an inventor – he was a businessman running an industrial empire. Around the laboratory, Edison built large factories where thousands of employees mass-produced his inventions for the public. Edison understood the . . . — Map (db m24173) HM
28New Jersey (Essex County), West Orange — Thomas Edison StatueThomas Edison National Historical Park
This statue, sculpted by Ohio artist Alan Cottrill in 2017, is substantially similar to the one displayed in Statuary Hall in the United States Capitol. In his right hand, Edison offers his incandescent light bulb (his major achievement); and in his . . . — Map (db m135993) HM
29New Jersey (Essex County), West Orange — Thomas Edison’s West Orange Laboratory
The Invention Factory In the fall of 1887, Thomas Edison moved into his new laboratory complex in the town of West Orange, N.J. For the next 44 years Edison directed teams of research assistants in his “Invention Factory” and . . . — Map (db m24252) HM
30New Jersey (Essex County), West Orange — Tory Corner
Here in the 1770’s in this area called Williamstown lived brothers Nathaniel and Benjamin Williams, prosperous farmers and operators of a saw and grist mill. As the Revolution approached, their Loyalist views attracted people of similar sentiments . . . — Map (db m8533) HM
 
Paid Advertisement
Sep. 21, 2020