Henry Ford established this one-room schoolhouse
for children of workers at his nearby Nankin Mill village industry plant producing automotive parts. The rural school operated from 1937 to 1946 as part of Ford's Edison Institute School . . . — — Map (db m96980) HM
Chief Tonquish and his son are buried nearby. Chief Tonquish led a band of Potawatomi Indians in this area in the early nineteenth century. In 1819, a series of clashes between these Indians and pioneers in the vicinity culminated in the death of a . . . — — Map (db m87697) HM
The first Cooper School, known officially as Nankin District No. 1 School, was built around 1837 on a farm owned by Gilbert Cooper at the southwest corner of present-day Ann Arbor Trail and Middlebelt Road. The Coopers were Nankin Township pioneers . . . — — Map (db m33883) HM
(Front): In 1839 Wayne County purchased the Black Horse Tavern, a stagecoach stop, Located here on the Chicago road, for use as a poorhouse. Early on the poorhouse accepted not only the county's indigent, but the infirm and mentally ill as . . . — — Map (db m14290) HM
It was a short walk to work.
This was home to milling families who owned and operated Nankin Mills during its gristmill heyday, from 1842 to 1918. Its Greek Revival style was popular when it was built in 1834. The last farmer living here . . . — — Map (db m96981) HM
Two grist mills have occupied this site. The first mill was built between 1835 and 1842; the present was constructed soon after the Civil War. In 1918 Henry Ford purchased it as part of a plan to develop village mill industries along the Rouge . . . — — Map (db m96986) HM
Henry Ford wasn't the first to come here.
Early Native Americans gathered along the Rouge River for hunting and fishing. European settlers valued Rouge River waterpower, and the building you see here today was built as a gristmill in the . . . — — Map (db m96991) HM
In 1942, the National Housing Agency designed and built the Norwayne Subdivision to provide rental housing for nearby WWII defense factory workers. It cost $12 million dollars and was then the largest public housing project in the . . . — — Map (db m79300) HM
The village of Perrinsville was established as a small commercial center during the 1830s. Abraham and Isaac Perrin started a successful sawmill where Merriman Road now crosses the Middle Rouge. Several businesses sprang up and the community became . . . — — Map (db m33774) HM
Perrinsville began with a sawmill established by Abraham and Isaac Perrin around 1832. During the next century three one-room schools served area children. The first, a wooden school, was erected in 1833 on the Marcus Swift farm. A second, larger . . . — — Map (db m33766) HM