Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Weston, Missouri Historical Markers

 
"Bear Medison Island" Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., May 28, 2011
"Bear Medison Island" Marker
Missouri (Platte County), Weston — "Bear Medison Island" — Monday, July 2, 1804 [and] Sunday, September 14, 1806
In Lewis and Clark's day, the Missouri River was here where the foot of Weston's Main Street is today. Bear Medicine Island was in the river at this place in 1804. According to Clark's notes, the Indians called the island Wau-car-ba . . . — Map (db m44521) HM
Missouri (Platte County), Weston — 8 — "Hell's Half Acre" — Market Street
In Weston's early boom days, the Missouri River ran at the foot of Main Street, adjacent to this area of town. Most of the buildings were occupied by low rent hotels, saloons and dance halls. In 1851, Weston newpapers advertised . . . — Map (db m44522) HM
Missouri (Platte County), Weston — Bechler Building — 1845 — Weston Historic District 1837
Excellent example of porcelain-covered brick. Second floor living quarters. First floor used as a saloon, barber shop, doctor & dentist offices. — Map (db m44538) HM
Missouri (Platte County), Weston — Benjamin Wood House — 1845 — Weston Historic District 1837
Two story 3 brick thick Federal style with flanking chimneys. 6 fireplaces. Original pine floors & woodwork. Restored 1990, by Mr. & Mrs. Glen Payne. — Map (db m77145) HM
Missouri (Platte County), Weston — Cody House — 1845 — Weston Historic District
Lot sold to Elijah Cody for $7.50. As a boy, "Buffalo Bill" William Cody vacationed here with his uncle Elijah. McCalley residence since 1947. — Map (db m44543) HM
Missouri (Platte County), Weston — Corner Building — 1845 — Weston Historic District
Home of boot shop, living quarters below. Later housed newspapers, doctor, shoe repair, insurance. Tin roof, ornamantal tin ceiling. Front redone 1926. — Map (db m44539) HM
Missouri (Platte County), Weston — Doppler Building — 1856 — Weston Historic District 1837
Two story brick store house, home of dry goods, grocery, & Quinley paint store. Well preserved ornamental tin ceiling. — Map (db m44529) HM
Missouri (Platte County), Weston — How Building — 1848 — Weston Historic District 1837
One of the original business buidings, survived Fire of 1853. Handmade brick with metal standing seam roof, known as How Boot and Shoe Store. — Map (db m44533) HM
Missouri (Platte County), Weston — Kaufmann Building — 1854 — Weston Historic District 1837
Two story brick with cast iron front. Early use as grocery & provision store. Also housed bakery & confectionery, ice cream parlor, meat market & garage. — Map (db m44532) HM
Missouri (Platte County), Weston — Laurel Hill Cemetery
Around 1838, the city’s founding father acquired a half-acre of land and established the City Cemetery to serve as a final resting place for the residents of Weston. By 1853, the area was becoming too crowded, and business man Theodore F. Warner . . . — Map (db m77293) HM
Missouri (Platte County), Weston — Laurel Hill Cemetery
Confederate Soldiers In this area, along the front fence line, five Confederates are buried. They died of wounds shortly after a skirmish near Weston. Union troops were encamped in the northern part of the cemetery, the confederates were . . . — Map (db m77294) HM
Missouri (Platte County), Weston — Laurel Hill Cemetery
In the 1850s, one-third of Weston’s population was African-American. As you look down this hillside and up towards the back fence of the cemetery, you see the area that was set aside for those individuals, free or slave, of African-American . . . — Map (db m77295) HM
Missouri (Platte County), Weston — Laurel Hill Cemetery
The Magers Family Heinrich D. Magers, who died in 1851, and his wife, Louisa, who preceded him in death in 1848, were both born in Germany and started their family in Hanover. They immigrated to America shortly after and traveled west to . . . — Map (db m77296) HM
Missouri (Platte County), Weston — Laurel Hill Cemetery
The Waggoner Family Known as a gentle man of large stature, Martin Richard Waggoner arrived in Weston in 1898 and opened a jewelry store before he went on to manage Kelly’s, a saloon in the St. George Hotel. Martin married Emma Quinley of . . . — Map (db m77297) HM
Missouri (Platte County), Weston — Lewis & Clark Campsite
The Lewis and Clark Expedition camped in this area July 2, 1804 opposite the head of Bear Medicine Island (later Kickapoo Island) and replaced a broken mast with a cut cottonwood. They noted across the river remains of the old French fort . . . — Map (db m44520) HM
Missouri (Platte County), Weston — Mitchell Building — 1844 — Weston Historic District 1837
Property first deeded to T.W. Mitchell by town of Weston for $13.49. Early day uses were shoe shop, law & dental offices. Rebuilt as medical building in 1939. — Map (db m44530) HM
Missouri (Platte County), Weston — Parr Building — 1853 — Weston Historic District 1837
Commercial building, brick porcelain facade added early 1900's. Used as a drug store until 1896. Home of Weston's first electric theatre in 1909. — Map (db m44544) HM
Missouri (Platte County), Weston — Presbyterian Church — 1844 — Weston Historic District
Federal style church erected by Presbyterian congregation. Since 1934, the Weston Christian Assembly Church. Weston's only remaining church building of the 1840's. — Map (db m44545) HM
Missouri (Platte County), Weston — St. George Hotel — 1847 — Weston Historic District 1837
Rebuilt 1890 Lodging for River Captains and Wagon Masters — Map (db m44531) HM
Missouri (Platte County), Weston — The Lewis and Clark Expedition
In 1804-06, Captains Meriwether Lewis and William Clark led about 40 soldiers and boatmen on an epic journey. President Thomas Jefferson commissioned this "Corps of Discovery" to find a route to the Pacific Ocean through the newly acquired . . . — Map (db m44517) HM
Missouri (Platte County), Weston — Timeline of Weston History
Panel 1 1837 Weston is established by Joseph Moore taking a land claim and building the first cabin at present intersection of Market and Main 1837 Salem Christian Church is founded. Building constructed in 1841 1838 . . . — Map (db m77143) HM
Missouri (Platte County), Weston — United Methodist Church — 1859 — Weston Historic District
Organized with 52 people in home of Jeremiah Wood April 7, 1838. Present building begun 1859, delayed by Civil War, completed 1867, dedicated Sept. 4, 1868. — Map (db m44542) HM
Missouri (Platte County), Weston — Weston
Established, 1837; oldest existing town in the Platte Purchase. Boyhood home of "Buffalo" Bill Cody; last outfitting post for overland wagon trains; home of Ben Hollady, Stage Coach King. — Map (db m44503) HM
Missouri (Platte County), Weston — Weston Christian Church — 1906 — Weston Historic District 1837
Present Victorian building dedicated in 1907 to replace brick Federalist style church built 1854. Memorial stained glass windows added since 1934. — Map (db m44546) HM
Missouri (Platte County), Weston — Weston Veterans Memorial — To All Who Served - Some Gave All — Lest We Forget
This memorial is dedicated to all the men and women who served these United States in times of war and peace Dedicated Nov. 11, 1998 Dedicated to the Memory of SPC Colby M. Farnan 1982 - 2005 Operation Iraqi Freedom 4th . . . — Map (db m44501) HM
Missouri (Platte County), Weston — Weston, Missouri — Established 1837
Weston, Missouri, as shown on Edwards Brother's map of 1877, was placed on the National Register of Historic Places August 21, 1972. The historic area encompasses sixteen full blocks and portions of eight additional city blocks and approximately . . . — Map (db m44509) HM
Missouri (Platte County), Weston — Weston, Missouri, Jail — 1911 — Weston Historic District
First jail, 1880's log, located upper Main St. This Thomas Street building erected next to first fire station. Ceased being used as jail in 1960's. National Register of Historic Placses — Map (db m44506) HM
Missouri (Platte County), Weston — Yocum-Benner Buildings — 1860 — Weston Historic District 1837
Two story brick, original ornamental tin ceilings - storefront chaned in 1890's. Housed early saloons, cafes, also Chevrolet & Ford agencies in the 1930's. — Map (db m44528) HM

28 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement