Built 1914 by Mr. and Mrs. J. M. Porter, pioneer settlers; Porter, an ex-cowboy, ranched near here after marrying Millie, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. R. Jones, 1886 settlers in Mobeetie area.
Millie (1877-1957) as a child helped herd sheep; she . . . — — Map (db m93684) HM
The site of Wheeler Cemetery was conveyed to J.E. Stanley, trustee for the Wheeler Community graveyard, by R.M. Stone and Nellie J. Stone, original owners of the property, in 1907. There are more than 2,700 recognized graves with the first tombstone . . . — — Map (db m93685) HM
Formed from Young and Bexar territories Created August 21, 1876
Organized April 12, 1879 Named in honor of
Royal T. Wheeler 1810 – 1864
Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of Texas, 1844-1858
Chief Justice, 1858-1864 . . . — — Map (db m93680) HM
Named for Royal T. Wheeler, an early Texas jurist, Wheeler County was created by the Texas State Legislature in 1876. In 1879 the county was organized and Mobeetie (then known as Sweetwater), the only town in the county, became the county seat. A . . . — — Map (db m93682) HM
Built 1909 after county seat moved from historic Old Mobeetie. First sheriff, M. V. Sanders; jailer, J. M. Kezee. Built of concrete and steel. Used 20 years with only 1 prisoner escaping.
Now used for library, museum and county offices. . . . — — Map (db m93681) HM