Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Wheeling, West Virginia Historical Markers

 
Alex De Tocqueville Marker image, Touch for more information
By Allen C. Browne, May 27, 2007
Alex De Tocqueville Marker
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Alexis de Tocqueville
. . . — Map (db m64227) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Augustus Pollack
Erected by Trade Union Members of United States in memory of Augustus Pollack whose business life and actions were always in sympathy with organized labor. — Map (db m16250) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — B & O Railroad“All Aboard!”
The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad reached Wheeling on Christmas Eve 1852 and was one of the best presents the city of Wheeling ever received. From that Christmas until the last “All Aboard!” was shouted on June 30, 1961, our city utilized . . . — Map (db m39785) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Baltimore and Ohio Passenger Station
. . . — Map (db m72277) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Board of Trade and Court Theatre
On this site stood the first Ohio County Courthouse whose cornerstone was laid in 1839 . In the 1890s, the Courthouse was razed and replaced by the Board of Trade Building and Court Theatre. Wheeling architect Edward Batee Franzheim designed the . . . — Map (db m71103) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Camp CarlileUnion Camp at Wheeling Island — The First Campaign
first paragraph On the morning of May 14, 1861, the companies of Capt. Andrew H. Britt and Edward W. Stephens marched across the Wheeling Suspension Bridge to Wheeling Island. They settled into camp on the northwestern corner of the . . . — Map (db m92543) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Charles Ellet, Jr.(1810 – 1862)
This notable American engineer designed the Wheeling Suspension Bridge, completed in 1849. Ellet’s other engineering accomplishments included: improving flood control and navigation of mid-western rivers; planning the layout of railways . . . — Map (db m75843) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Congressional Medal of HonorRecipients of Ohio County
Civil War 1865     Josiah M. Curtis 1865     Daniel A. Wood 1865     Joseph McCauslin 1865     Thomas Anderson Indian Wars 1874     William Dixon 1875     Daniel Bishop Noncombatant 1904     Robert Edward Cox . . . — Map (db m78792) WM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Elm Grove Stone Bridge
Built in 1817 by Moses Shepherd, a prominent Ohio Countian, as part of the National Road. Constructed of uncoursed limestone, but covered by concrete in 1958, it is the oldest extant three span elliptical arch bridge in the state. Also known as . . . — Map (db m64226) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — First State Capitol
First Government of West Virginia established here on June 20, 1863 with Arthur I. Boreman as Governor. This building served as the state capitol until 1870 and again from 1875 to 1876. Approved by the Wheeling Area Historical Society — Map (db m71063) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Forks of Wheeling Creek
George Washington described the land here in 1770. The French expedition headed by Capt. Celeron buried leaden plates at the mouth in 1749 and claimed the land for France. De Bonnescamp’s map gives creek name–Kanonouaras. — Map (db m749) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Fort Henry
Attacked, 1777, by Wyandot, Mingo, and Shawnee Indians who were repulsed by garrison under David Shepherd after white scouting parties had lost heavily. Maj. Samuel McCullough made famous ride over cliff during attack. Last battle of the American . . . — Map (db m71075) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Fort Henry"The Bloody Year of the Three Sevens" — Wheeling National Heritage Area
Planned by General George Rogers Clarke and constructed in 1774 by Wheeling settlers, Fort Henry withstood a number of sieges. The first major battle was during the Revolutionary War in September 1777 when the British led 300 Wyandot, Mingo, and . . . — Map (db m71165) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Gibson-Linn
Among many daring frontier exploits was the journey of Captain George Gibson and Lieutenant William Linn to New Orleans, 1776-77. Despite danger and opposition, they secured powder for use of Fort Henry against the Indians. — Map (db m79896) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — In Honor of All who Served
In Honor of All who Served in World War 1917-1918 — Map (db m71011) WM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — In Memoriam
Dedicated May 31, 1993 — Map (db m78793) WM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Independence HallBeginning of Statehood — The First Campaign
This building, erected as a Federal customs house in 1859, is known as West Virginia Independence Hall. Considered the birthplace of West Virginia, it is the site of a series of events that led to the state’s creation in 1863. In spring and . . . — Map (db m34566) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Jesse Lee Reno
Major General Jesse Lee Reno was born at Wheeling. June 20, 1823. He served in the Mexican War. He was killed at South Mountain, Maryland, September 14, 1862, while commanding the 9th Army Corps, United States Volunteers. Major General Reno was West . . . — Map (db m33915) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Lewis and Clark
Meriwether Lewis arrived here on 7 September 1803 on first leg of trip to explore and study lands, natural features and resources, waterways, and animal life of West. Noted Fort Henry, procured second pirogue to transport supplies, picked up goods . . . — Map (db m2378) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — List House
Built for Henry Kilbourne List in 1858; Renaissance Revival style house given to the Woman's Club in 1941 and purchased by the Red Cross in 1946. — Map (db m16252) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Madonna of the Trail
(South Face) N.S.D.A.R. Memorial to the Pioneer Mothers of the Covered Wagon Days. (East Face) To the pioneer mothers of our mountain state, whose courage, optimism, live and sacrifice made possible the National Highway that united east . . . — Map (db m498) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Mail Pouch Tobacco"Chew Mail Pouch - Treat Yourself to the Best" — Wheeling National Heritage Area

Mail Pouch is one of Wheeling's most recognizable products. Aaron and Samuel Bloch began making chewing tobacco after experimenting with "cigar scrap." This afterthought quickly became a favorite with local coal miners and soon the rest of the . . . — Map (db m83120) HM

West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Marsh Wheeling StogiesA "Workingman's Stogie"
Operating in Wheeling for over 161 years, Marsh Wheeling Stogies was the oldest continuous cigar manufacturing operation in the United States. Reflecting Wheeling's early pioneer heritage and spirit, these stogies and their boxes became a symbol of . . . — Map (db m71129) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — McColloch’s Leap
Major Samuel McColloch daring scout, gallant soldier while attempting the relief of Fort Henry at Wheeling September, 1777 escaped an overwhelming body of Indians by forcing his horse over this precipice — Map (db m513) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Monument Place
On site of Fort Shepherd is this mansion, built in 1798 by Moses Shepherd and known as Shepherd Hall. Among its guests were Lafayette, James K. Polk, Andrew Jackson, and Henry Clay. Clay's support brought National Pike here. — Map (db m750) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Mount de Chantal
Established in 1848 and incorporated as the Wheeling Female Academy in 1852. Founded by the Sisters of the Visitation and the Right Reverend R. V. Whelan, Bishop of Richmond, to educate Catholic women. Academy moved to this site and into the main . . . — Map (db m31056) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Oglebay Mansion MuseumBurton Center
Former Waddington Farm residence of Earl William Oglebay 1849 — 1926 and Sallie Paull Howell Oglebay 1856 — 1916 Daughter Sarita Oglebay Burton 1882 — 1930 Grandson Courtney Burton, Jr. 1912 — 1992 . . . — Map (db m39753) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Ohio County / State of Ohio
Ohio County. Formed in 1776 from West Augusta. Named for the river which bears an Indian name meaning “Beautiful River.” Scene of last battle of the Revolution, 1782. Visited by La Salle, Celoron, Gist, Washington, and later . . . — Map (db m9386) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Old Custom House
Designed by federal architect Ammi B. Young for use as Custom House, Post Office and Federal Court. Constructed 1856-9 at cost of $96,918. Convention here in 1861 helped set stage for West Virginia Statehood. State’s first constitution approved here . . . — Map (db m34564) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Our Lady of Mount Lebanon Veterans Memorial

Erected by the grateful Parish of Our Lady of Mount Lebanon in honor of those who served their country and dedicated to the memory of those who gave their lives for our liberty

World War II David Brice • Joseph Bryan • . . . — Map (db m83125) WM

West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Pennsylvania DepotAccess to the Prosperous East
The mighty Pennsylvania Railroad rolled into Wheeling on February 24, 1878. It provided access north to Pittsburgh and south to Parkersburg for Wheeling's industrial products. It also enabled Wheeling's farmers and manufacturers to increase trade . . . — Map (db m71171) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Site of Wheeling High School1909 - 1976 — "The Old Gold and Blue"

On this site stood Wheeling High School. The bricks and the mortar are gone, but the memory of her will linger on in the hearts of those who loved her. — Map (db m83126) HM

West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Slave Auction Block"Sold down river"
Although the residents of the western part of Virginia owned far fewer slaves than their counterparts to the east, antebellum Wheeling was part of the social and political fabric of slaveholding Virginia. A slave-auction block stood at the . . . — Map (db m71029) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — South Side World Wars Memorial

Dedicated in honor of the men and women of the South Side who served in World Wars I and II — Map (db m83124) WM

West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — State’s Birthplace
West Virginia was organized in 1861 at Washington Hall, 12th and Market streets. The Linsly Institute Building, Eoff and 15th streets, was the first Capitol. From 1875 to 1885, the Capitol was in the County-City Building. — Map (db m729) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — The Athenaeum"Lincoln's Bastille"
The Athenaeum, once the biggest building in Wheeling, stood here. It was constructed in 1854, with three stories supported by cast-iron roof and floor beams. It served as an adjunct of the nearby Baltimore and Ohio Railroad station, to encourage . . . — Map (db m71019) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — The Defenders of the Union1861 — 1865
. . . — Map (db m39746) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — The First CampaignCivil War Begins in the Mountains of (West) Virginia — The First Campaign
West Virginia, born of a nation divided, was the setting for the first campaign of America’s Civil War. Although still part of Virginia in1861, many citizens of the west remained loyal to the Union, rather than the Confederacy. By late May, Union . . . — Map (db m34565) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — The Madonna of the Trail
The statue before you was created as a tribute to the pioneer women who braved the uncertainties of the great journey west. The Madonna memorials were a project of the Daughters of the American Revolution and were dedicated between 1926 and 1929. . . . — Map (db m500) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — The Mingo
The Mingo, original inhabitant of this valley, extends greetings and peace to all wayfarers. — Map (db m345) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — The National Pike
The National Pike, called the “Old Cumberland Road” , was started in 1811 and used to Wheeling in 1817 and by mail coaches from Washington by 1818. Most of it followed the Nemacolin Path and Braddock’s Road from Cumberland, Md. — Map (db m512) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — The Siege of Fort HenryThe Last Battle of the American Revolution
. . . — Map (db m71096) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — The Washingtons
Nearby are buried Lawrence Augustine Washington, his wife, Dorcas, and daughter, Emma Tell. Lawrence was the son of Samuel Washington, youngest brother of General Washington. Part of their original home is standing. — Map (db m57256) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Vineyard Hills
Site of 31 acre vineyard owned and operated by Father John Peter Kreusch (1818-88), German priest who served Saint Alphonsus German Catholic Church (1859-83). Vineyard, set circa 1862, yielded from 4,000 to 15,000 gallons of unadulterated altar wine . . . — Map (db m64228) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Walter ReutherServing His Fellow Man
In 1946, Walter P. Reuther became president of the United Auto Workers (UAW) and in 1952 became president of the Congress of Industrial Organizations (CIO). He is still seen as a working-class-hero in the struggle for economic and social justice. . . . — Map (db m71222) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Walter ReutherLeader in the Making
Born in Wheeling on September 1, 1907, fittingly just one day before Labor Day. Walter P. Reuther (1907-1970), went on to become one of the most innovative, influential, and charismatic labor leaders of the 20th Century. Walter Reuther's father, . . . — Map (db m71223) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Washington Hall
The first Wheeling Convention of the people of North Western Virginia was held here on May 13-15, 1861. The Convention was held to determine what action should be taken as a result of the secession of Virginia from the Union. It ended without a . . . — Map (db m71013) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Wheeling
Indian word. Settled, 1769, by Ebenezer, Jonathan, Andrew, and Silas Zane. Fort Henry, once Fort Fincastle, built, 1774. Mail boats, 1794, National Pike, 1818, and B&O Railroad, 1852, combined with its iron mills to make Wheeling a great . . . — Map (db m534) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Wheeling -- "a pretty considerable Village"Lewis and Clark National Historic Trail
"this was a considerable Village contains about fifty houses...it is situated on the east side of the river on an elevated bank; the landing is good, just below the town and on the side big Wheeling creek emtys itself into the Ohio..." -- . . . — Map (db m71105) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Wheeling High School World War II Memorial

Erected in honor of Wheeling High School Students who served their country during World War II, and dedicated to the Glory of God and the memory of those who gave their lives for freedom — Map (db m83129) WM

West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Wheeling Hospital
Oldest hospital in the state, chartered March 12, 1850, thru efforts of Dr. S. P. Hullihen and Bishop R. V. Whelan. In 1853, located at 110, 15th St. by Sisters of Saint Joseph. Moved to this site in 1856. As Union Army hospital during Civil War, . . . — Map (db m16255) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Wheeling Post No. 1Oldest Post of the American Legion
At a meeting called in this building by Joselph H. Reass on March 1, 1919, was effected the first permanent organization of veterans of the World War which later became Wheeling Post No. 1 of the American Legion. At that meeting the following . . . — Map (db m71014) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Wheeling Suspension Bridge
The Wheeling Suspension Bridge, constructed by Charles Ellet, Jr. between 1846 and 1849, was the first long-span wire-cable suspension bridge in the United States. For many years it was the longest clear-span bridge in the world. The deck was . . . — Map (db m535) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Wheeling Suspension BridgeGateway to the West
The Wheeling Suspension Bridge, designed and erected by Charles Ellet, Jr., was completed in 1849. Known as the "Gateway to the West," the bridge was the first to cross the Ohio River carrying people and products to the West along the National Road. . . . — Map (db m71038) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Wheeling Suspension Bridge - 1849
In 1816, with a strong interest in internal improvements, the legislatures of Virginia and Ohio authorized the formation of the Wheeling and Belmont Bridge Company (Belmont because the bridge company was to connect from Wheeling, Virginia to Belmont . . . — Map (db m561) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Wheeling WharfFront Door to the City on the Ohio River
The Wheeling Wharf played a crucial role in bringing people and products to and from our growing city. The port has seen the arrival of visitors such as Lafayette, Meriwether Lewis, Mark Twain, and thousands of steamboat passengers. The port was . . . — Map (db m71134) HM

56 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement