Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia Historical Markers

 
"Oakhurst" Golf Club Marker image, Touch for more information
By Forest McDermott, July 21, 2008
"Oakhurst" Golf Club Marker
West Virginia (Greenbrier County), White Sulphur Springs — "Oakhurst" Golf Club
Site of the first organized golf club in United States. It was formed, 1884, on the "Oakhurst estate of owner, Russell W. Montague, a New Englander and Scotchmen" George Grant, Alexander m. and Roderick McLeod and Lionel Torrin. — Map (db m21752) HM
West Virginia (Greenbrier County), White Sulphur Springs — Dry Creek Battle
A two-day encounter, Aug. 26-27, 1863, between Gen. Sam Jones' Confederates and Gen. W. W. Averell's Federals. Action is also known as Howard's Creek, White Sulphur Springs and Rocky Gap. Losses: 350. — Map (db m76721) HM
West Virginia (Greenbrier County), White Sulphur Springs — Greenbrier County / Virginia
Greenbrier County. Formed, 1778, from Botetourt and Montgomery. Named for the river which drains it. This county had many pioneer forts and saw many bloody Indian battles. Here are the world-famed White Sulphur and other mineral springs. . . . — Map (db m84054) HM
West Virginia (Greenbrier County), White Sulphur Springs — Kate's Mountain
Named for Kate Carpenter, whose husband, Nathan, was killed by the Indians. fine scenic view. Home of Kate's Mountain Clover and other rare plants, such as the Box Huckleberry, 6000 years old - the oldest living thing. — Map (db m19363) HM
West Virginia (Greenbrier County), White Sulphur Springs — President's Cottage
Built in 1834-1835 by Stephen Henderson First Summer White House Occupied by Martin Van Buren John Tyler Millard Fillmore Franklin Pierce James Buchanan — Map (db m85210) HM
West Virginia (Greenbrier County), White Sulphur Springs — Tennis and the Outdoor Swimming Pool
When the Golf Clubhouse was built in 1915 clay tennis courts were added in front of the building. The most famous tennis tournaments at The Greenbrier were the Mason and Dixon Championships held each April from 1921 to 1937. One of the final . . . — Map (db m75435) HM
West Virginia (Greenbrier County), White Sulphur Springs — The Battle of White Sulphur
Was fought on this site August 26th and 27th 1863. The Confederates, some of Major General Sam Jones' forces were commanded by Colonel George S. Patton and the Federal by Brigadier General William W. Averell. About 4000 troops were engaged. General . . . — Map (db m76728) HM
West Virginia (Greenbrier County), White Sulphur Springs — The Greenbrier Clinic and Project Greek Island
The West Virginia Wind atop Copeland's Hill was built in the early 1960's to provide more hotel rooms and a new location for the Greenbrier Clinic. The Clinic had opened in 1948 offering personalized diagnostic medical care in a resort setting. This . . . — Map (db m85209) HM
West Virginia (Greenbrier County), White Sulphur Springs — The Old White 1858 - 1922
Here stood a famous hostelry affectionately known as The Old White Once the pride of the Old Dominion Whose gracious hospitality, beautiful surroundings and healing waters gained national renown and made it the object of many a . . . — Map (db m19360) HM
West Virginia (Greenbrier County), White Sulphur Springs — The Springhouse
- symbol of The Greenbrier since 1835 because it sits atop the White Sulphur Spring. "Taking the waters" - either by bathing or by drinking for medicinal purposes - was the foundation of this resort. Earliest recorded use of the mineral water . . . — Map (db m75421) HM
West Virginia (Greenbrier County), White Sulphur Springs — The Springhouse
Early European settlers in this Allegheny Mountain valley learned from Shawnee Indian hunters about this sulphur water spring. Health-seekers soon started arriving to bathe in the waters to relieve the aches of rheumatism. By the 1830's the . . . — Map (db m75422) HM
West Virginia (Greenbrier County), White Sulphur Springs — White Sulphur
Side A Large Federal fish hatcheries are located here. A mile east on Howard's Creek the armies of North and South fought in 1863. At "Oakhurst" three miles north the first golf club in America was organized in 1884. Side B Twelve . . . — Map (db m19361) HM

12 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement