Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Wichita Falls, Texas Historical Markers

 
Charlye Ola Farris Marker (<i>southeast corner of Wichita County Courthouse behind marker</i>) image, Touch for more information
By Cosmos Mariner, May 14, 2016
Charlye Ola Farris Marker (southeast corner of Wichita County Courthouse behind marker)
Texas (Wichita County), Wichita Falls — 16931 — Charlye Ola Farris(1929-2010)
Public school educators James Randolph Farris, Sr. and Roberta (Bell) Farris welcomed their only daughter, Charlye Ola Farris, on June 30, 1929 in Wichita Falls. Charlye graduated as valedictorian of Booker T. Washington High School at age 15, and . . . — Map (db m128699) HM
Texas (Wichita County), Wichita Falls — 1725 — First County Officials
First Anglo-Americans settled in Wichita County in 1856. The county was named for Indians, and Indian troubles delayed local organization until 1882. The first officials were: Judge, James S. Akers; Attorney, Robert E. Huff; Sheriff, F.M. Davis; . . . — Map (db m96811) HM
Texas (Wichita County), Wichita Falls — 2148 — George Alonzo SouleStage Line Owner – Operator
Before coming to Wichita Falls George Alonzo Soule (1840-1913) owned a freight and stage line in Jacksboro and Fort Griffin. After the Fort Worth and Denver Railroad came through here, Soule brought his wife Lilla and Family in 1883. He opened a . . . — Map (db m96800) HM
Texas (Wichita County), Wichita Falls — 2445 — Henry C. LueckePioneer, Blacksmith and Inventor
A native of Missouri, Henry C. Luecke (1861-1937) came to Texas about 1890. He opened a blacksmith shop at this intersection in 1903. Here he developed and manufactured the Wichita Gang Plow, patented in 1905. His device was similar to other plows . . . — Map (db m96799) HM
Texas (Wichita County), Wichita Falls — 12295 — J. A. Kemp Wholesale Grocery Building
Built in 1892, this structure housed the J. A. Kemp Wholesale Grocery business for 35 years. The building originally measured 50 by 100 feet and contained a full basement. A two-story brick addition was completed by 1901. The Industrial Supply . . . — Map (db m96802) HM
Texas (Wichita County), Wichita Falls — 15512 — John F. O'Donohue
Mississippi native John F. O'Donohue (1885 - 1967) first came to Wichita Falls in 1909 as a scout for the J. M. Guffey Petroleum Company, which later became the Gulf Oil Corporation. While staying in the Jolene Hotel, the wildcatter O'Donohue . . . — Map (db m96805) HM
Texas (Wichita County), Wichita Falls — 2859 — Joseph Hudson Barwise(November 13, 1829 - January 11, 1927)
A native of Ohio, Joseph Hudson Barwise brought his family to Texas in 1877 and to Wichita County in 1880. An astute businessman and community leader, he earned the nickname "Father of Wichita Falls" after he donated land to the Fort Worth and . . . — Map (db m96814) HM
Texas (Wichita County), Wichita Falls — 3682 — Ohio Street Bridge
Planning for construction of the first bridge at this site began soon after the organization of Wichita County in 1882. The structure was built by the King Bridge Company of Cleveland, Ohio, and formally dedicated on July 4, 1886. This second span, . . . — Map (db m128700) HM
Texas (Wichita County), Wichita Falls — 4889 — Site of St. James Hotel
Joseph Alexander Kemp (1861-1930), a Wichita Falls merchant, and Morris Lasker (1840-1916), a native of Prussia who later served as state senator from Galveston, formed a partnership in 1892 for the construction of a hotel at this site. Built by . . . — Map (db m96801) HM
Texas (Wichita County), Wichita Falls — Spanish War Veterans StatueU.S.A. - Cuba - Philippine Islands - Porto Rico — 1898 - 1902 —
This monument erected to commemorate the valor and patriotism of the men who served in the war with Spain, Philippine Insurrection, and China Relief Expedition, 1898 – 1902 — Map (db m96095) WM
Texas (Wichita County), Wichita Falls — Texan Santa Fe Expedition
The Texan Santa Fe Expedition crossed the Wichita River near this spot August 4, 1841 Wichita Falls Junior Historians sponsored this marker on the Expedition’s 100th anniversary.Map (db m128805) HM
Texas (Wichita County), Wichita Falls — 2737 — Texas Governor James V. Allred(1899-1959)
From this courthouse, James V. Allred began his career that led to highest state office. As lawyer with firm of O'Neal and Martin, he won elections as district attorney in 1923 and Attorney General of Texas, 1931. Governor from 1935 to 1939, he . . . — Map (db m96813) HM
Texas (Wichita County), Wichita Falls — The Lost Battalion
To the Memory of Those Honored Members of The Lost battalion native sons members of the 2nd Battalion 131st Field Artillery 36th Infantry Division On March 8, 1942, these gallant men were taken prisoner by the Japanese on Java. Held . . . — Map (db m128745) WM
Texas (Wichita County), Wichita Falls — 5800 — The Wichita Falls Bank Robbery of 1896
On the afternoon of February 25, 1896, two cowboys, Foster Crawford and Elmer "Kid" Lewis, robbed the City National Bank, then located at Ohio and 7th Street (2 blocks east). They killed cashier Frank Dorsey, took about $410 cash, and fled on . . . — Map (db m96810) HM
Texas (Wichita County), Wichita Falls — 18283 — The Zale Legacy
In the early 20th Century, the Wichita Falls oil boom attracted several immigrant Russian Jewish families seeking a better life. One such immigrant to the town, Morris Bernard Zalefsky (1901 - 1995), began to learn the jewelry trade from his uncle, . . . — Map (db m96803) HM
Texas (Wichita County), Wichita Falls — 15526 — Wichita County Water Improvement Districts No. 1 & No. 2
Wichita County Water Improvement Districts No. 1 and No. 2 played major roles in the agricultural development of Wichita County. By 1900, Joseph Kemp, whose business activities were vital for the growth of Wichita Falls, developed plans for . . . — Map (db m128678) HM
Texas (Wichita County), Wichita Falls — 5804 — Wichita Falls Lodge No. 635, A.F. & A.M.
In November 1884 Masons living here who regularly made the 18-mile journey to Henrietta for meetings petitioned the Henrietta Masonic Lodge for a new lodge to be located in Wichita Falls. In December the Grand Lodge of Texas granted a dispensation . . . — Map (db m128740) HM

17 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement