Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Williamsburg, Virginia Historical Markers

 
Marker at Historic Jamestowne image, Touch for more information
By Bill Coughlin, August 14, 2008
Marker at Historic Jamestowne
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — A Campsite pre-1607
The human history of Jamestown Island begins much earlier than 1607. The first native inhabitants walked this site 10,000 years ago. At that time, the James River was nearly 100 feet lower, a fast moving stream at the bottom of a narrow ravine. Sea . . . — Map (db m17269) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — A Diverse Jamestown Household 1620-1640
By 1624, William Peirce, a “beloved friend” of governor Francis Wyatt, built a house – “one of the fairest in Virginia” – on this lot. Peirce, captain of the governor’s guard and the colony’s cape merchant, also . . . — Map (db m17356) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — A Famous African-American Dream
The earliest African-American national radio and television minister and advisor of three American presidents, the Elder Lightfoot Solomon Michaux purchased the lands around you in 1936. His dream was to establish a farm and a national memorial to . . . — Map (db m31084) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — A Jamestown Warehouse 1630s-1699
That at last Christmas we had trading here ten ships from London, two from Bristoll, twelve Hollanders, and seven from New-England. A Perfect Description of Virginia, 1649 Jamestown’s waterfront property was prime real estate. Governor . . . — Map (db m17203) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — A Place of Work
This small structure played a part in the industrial activity along the Pitch and Tar Swamp, but the exact use of its three furnaces is unknown. Chemical analysis of the soil ruled out high-temperature industry, such as a forge. Perhaps the best . . . — Map (db m17217) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — A Remarkable Collection 1670-1700
Who discarded refuse into this ditch and why may never be known. The ditch was full or artifacts dating to about 1670-1700, including 10 “HH” wine bottle seals, over 1,000 clay pipe pieces, three window leads dated 1669, and the largest . . . — Map (db m17311) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — A Site of Habitation
Thousands of years ago, when the island was larger and drier, Jamestown was more suitable for permanent habitation. In fact, archaeologists have excavated hearths from the 2,000-year-old campsites. Nearby, they found pottery and evidence of stone . . . — Map (db m89337) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — An Upper-Class Neighborhood 1630s-1699
From the 1630s to the end of the 17th century, this area along Backstreete boasted some of the finest dwellings in Jamestown. Governors, councilmen, burgesses, and lawyers all made this neighborhood home. Richard Kemp, an ardent supporter of . . . — Map (db m17357) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Archers Hope
The great Indian massacre of March 22, 1622, during which a quarter of the population of Virginia was slain came nearest to Jamestown here in a community known as Archer's Hope. At the house of Ensign William Spence five persons were killed-- John . . . — Map (db m31085) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — At Jamestown Began:1607 – 1957
At Jamestown began: the Expansion overseas of the English speaking peoples; the Commonwealth of Virginia; the United States of America; the British Commonwealth of Nations — Map (db m17006) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Attempted Settlement
A small group of Spanish Jesuits attempted a settlement in Virginia in September, 1570. They are said to have entered James river and landed along this creek and crossed the peninsula to establish a mission near York River. Six months later all were . . . — Map (db m30732) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Backstreet – Jamestown’s Main Street 1620-1699
As Jamestown expanded beyond the fort, the Virginia Company sent William Claiborne to survey lots in New Towne. There Ralph Hamor patented an acre and a half lot in 1624. Hamor’s deed made it clear that at least three streets already existed – . . . — Map (db m17115) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Bacon's RebellionGreensprings Greenway — Interpretive Trail
In 1676 the colony became embroiled in the popular uprising known as Bacon's Rebellion. Frontier settlers whose homesteads were attacked by hostile Indians, asked Governor Berkeley's government for protection. Fearful and frustrated by the lack of . . . — Map (db m99078) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Barracks"a homely thing, like a barn" - John Smith
Like this experimental frame structure before you, most buildings found at James Fort were of earthfast or post-in-ground construction. Main structural posts were seated directly in the ground without the use of footings. Once the building . . . — Map (db m100109) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — V-39 — Battle Of Green Spring
Nearby, late in the afternoon of 6 Julyl 1781, Gen. Charles Cornwallis and cavalry commander Col. Banastre Tarleton with 5,000 British and Hessian troops clashed with 800 American troops commanded by Brig. Gen. “Mad” Anthony Wayne and . . . — Map (db m2440) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Battle of Green SpringJuly 6, 1781
Hear the crack of flintlock muskets and smell the smoke from cannon fire! On this site, on July 6, 1781, 5,000 British troops under General Charles Cornwallis and Colonel Banastre Tarleton clashed with 900 American soldiers led by the Marquis de . . . — Map (db m30651) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Battle of Green Spring Memorial
In memory of the 6 Virginia & 22 Pennsylvania Line Patriots who died in The Battle of Green Spring on July 6, 1781 & are buried near here. By their sacrifices they made possible the establishment of a free United States of America. — Map (db m99079) WM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — W-43 — Battle of Williamsburg
To the east of the road here, centering at Fort Magruder, was fought the Battle of Williamsburg on May 5, 1862. The Union General McClellan was pursuing General Johnston’s retiring army, the rearguard of which was commanded by General Longstreet. . . . — Map (db m10120) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Captain John Smith
John Smith was born about 1580 the son of a yeoman farmer of modest means. As a young man he traveled throughout Europe and fought as a soldier in the Netherlands and in Hungary. There he was captured, taken to Turkey and sold into slavery in . . . — Map (db m11367) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Captain John Smith
. . . — Map (db m11368) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — W-50 — Carter's Grove
During the 17th century Carter's Grove was part of the Martin's Hundred Plantation. In the early 1720's, Robert "King" Carter purchased it and later named the tract Carter's Grove. Between 1730 and 1735 Carter Burwell, grandson of Robert "King" . . . — Map (db m9503) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — V-46 — Church on the Main
Less than one mile to the east is the site of the Church on the Main, a brick Anglican church built by the 1750s to serve James City Parish as replacement for the church on Jamestown Island, which had become difficult for communicants to reach. The . . . — Map (db m2442) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Church On The MainHistory
The Church on the Main, which lies ahead, was built of brick in about 1750, along the main road connecting Jamestown and Williamsburg. It replaced the fifth church at Jamestown and was used by James City Parish, the community in this vicinity. . . . — Map (db m99084) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Church On The MainChurch Plan
This 30 x60' brick church, marked by the remnants of a builder’s trench, was constructed in a simple rectangular plan with doors on the west and the south. Holes marking the location of scaffolding employed during construction flank the perimeter of . . . — Map (db m99085) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Church On The MainSite Plan
This archaeological site consists of the remains of the church, the cemetery, and the surrounding fences. All that remains to indicate the location and size of the church below grade is a small remnant of the foundation builder's trench. The 30' x . . . — Map (db m99086) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — College Creek
On May 12, 1607 the colonists who were the next day to establish Jamestown, landed at the mouth of this creek. Captain Gabriel Archer, one of the councilors, liked the spot and would have settled here but was outvoted. For more than a century the . . . — Map (db m30730) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Colonial Highway
The James River was a lifeline. Ships from England brought tools, seeds, cloth, food, more settlers – and hope. The colonists sent back timber, tobacco, pitch, potash, furs, iron ore – and stories. By 1650, wharves reached out to the . . . — Map (db m17119) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Colonial Parkway
In 1930, Congress established Colonial National Monument (designated Colonial National Historical Park in 1936) to preserve and interpret the beginning and end of the British colonial experience in North America. The park included Jamestown, the . . . — Map (db m89336) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Colonist on Neck of Land
Early in the 17th century, colonists began settling beyond Jamestown Island. In 1619, for example, Reverend Richard Buck received a patent of land here at Neck of Land, between Mill and Powhatan creeks. When Buck and his wife died, their . . . — Map (db m31058) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — WT-4 — Community of Grove
After the Civil War, in the area that later became known as the Community of Grove, the Freedmen’s Bureau confiscated land for displaced newly freed slaves and free blacks. In 1867, the government restored the land to its previous owners. Some . . . — Map (db m66911) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Confederate Earthworks
These earthworks were erected by Confederate troops in 1861 as part of the defense system to block Union penetration of the James River. — Map (db m17052) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Ditch and Mound
Dozens of open ditches crisscrossed Jamestown. A ditch and its mound could mark a property boundary, line the edge of a road, or drain swampy soil. Ditches also served as handy trash dumps. Two major ditches, several feet wide and hundreds of feet . . . — Map (db m17316) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — W 40-b — Eastern State Hospital
Eastern State Hospital is the oldest psychiatric hospital in the United States. It was established on 12 Oct. 1773, when Virginia was still a British colony, with the mission of treating and discharging the curable mentally ill. In 1841, under the . . . — Map (db m58354) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Eastern State HospitalWilliamsburg, Virginia — 1768 - 1925
This hospital is the oldest institution of its kind in America. Francis Fauquier was Governor in 1768. In November, 1769, the tenth year of the reign of George the Third an act was passed by the House of Burgesses confirming the establishment of . . . — Map (db m66918) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Efforts of a Virginia Tradesman 1670s
The early English settlers came to Virginia looking for gold, silver, and precious gems, but never found them. Some of the artifacts they left behind, however, are highly valuable to the archaeologists who excavated Jamestown centuries later. . . . — Map (db m17204) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Efforts to Build a Town 1660-1699
The foundations of the multi-dwelling structure that stood here match the dimensions called for in legislation passed by the General Assembly in September 1662. This row rouse was standing by September 1668 when the justices of James City . . . — Map (db m17320) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Fences and Livestock
Jamestown had a large number of four-footed and feathered residents. A chronicler wrote of “two hundred … cattle, as many goats, infinite hogs in herds all over the woods.” The government required fences to keep the free-roaming . . . — Map (db m17200) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — WT-1 — First Africans in English America
The first documented Africans in English America arrived at Jamestown in August 1619. A Dutch man-of-war captured them from the Spanish, who had enslaved them, and sold them to the Virginia colonists. The “twenty and odd” Africans, some . . . — Map (db m97319) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — WT-2 — First Germans at Jamestown
The first Germans to land in Jamestown, the first permanent English settlement in Virginia, arrived aboard the vessel Mary and Margaret about 1 October 1608. These Germans were glassmakers and carpenters. In 1620, German mineral specialists . . . — Map (db m2445) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Foundations at Jamestown
The remains of Jamestown now lie buried beneath the ground. Archeologists have unearthed some of the known town site, but the original foundations of structures would erode quickly if left exposed to wind, weather, and acid rain. The foundations . . . — Map (db m17220) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Gardens and Crops
Tobacco, sassafras – the Jamestown gardener was distracted by quick-money crops for export to Europe. Tobacco was even grown in the streets. In 1624 the General Assembly tried to aid the struggling silk and wine industries by ordering each . . . — Map (db m17317) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Glebe Land
After 1619 these 100 acres of land were set aside for the benefit of the Jamestown parish church and minister. Richard Buck was the first clergyman to have use of it. Later on Francis Bolton became minister at "James Citty" and he, too, had "leave . . . — Map (db m31079) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Governor Harvey’s House 1630s
John Harvey served as a member of a royal commission investigating conditions in Virginia in 1624. As a reward, he received land at the east end of New Towne. There he probably built a residence and a wharf. A temperamental sea captain, Harvey . . . — Map (db m17215) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Governor Yeardley’s Lot 1620’s
George Yeardley arrived in Jamestown in 1610, was appointed captain of the guard, and eventually lieutenant governor. Later knighted and appointed governor of Virginia in 1618, he issued the Great Charter in 1619, establishing the first . . . — Map (db m17027) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — V-41 — Governor’s Land
Situated near Jamestown, Governor’s Land originally was a 3,000-acre tract encompassing open fields between the James River and Powhatan Creek. The Virginia Company of London set the parcel aside in 1618 to seat tenants who worked the land, giving . . . — Map (db m2438) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Governor's Land
In November 1618, The Virginia Company instructed Governor George Yeardley to set aside 3,000 acres of land “in the best and most convenient place of the territory of Jamestown” to be “the seat and land of the Governor of . . . — Map (db m99077) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — W-36 — Green Spring
On this road, five miles south, is Green Spring, home of Governor Sir William Berkeley. Bacon the Rebel occupied it in 1676. Cornwallis, after moving from Williamsburg by this road on July 4, 1781, was attacked by Lafayette near Green Spring on July . . . — Map (db m20810) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — V-42 — Green Spring Road
The 17th century road to Green Spring, home of Governor Sir William Berkeley, was the eastern part of the Great Road, the earliest-developed English thoroughfare in Virginia. The Great Road ran from Jamestown Island toward the falls of the James . . . — Map (db m2441) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — History of Fort Magruder
On May 4th, 1862 Union Division’s of Generals Hooker, Hancock, and “Baldy” Smith encountered units of the Southern Army east of Williamsburg. When the Confederate Army Commander General Joseph E. Johnston became aware of the engagement, . . . — Map (db m15716) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — V-47 — Hot Water / Centerville
Royal Governor William Berkeley, owner of nearby Green Spring Plantation, purchased the land here by 1652, then known as Hot Water. After Berkeley's death, the Hot Water tract passed to the Ludwell and Lee families. William Ludwell Lee inherited the . . . — Map (db m23614) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — In Memory of Early Settlers
To the glory of God and in grateful memory of those early settlers, the founders of this Nation who died at Jamestown during the first perilous years of the colony. Their bodies lie along the ridge beyond this cross, in the earliest known burial . . . — Map (db m11377) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Inside a Home
All that was left of this home was the foundation of a fireplace and two rows of stains in the soil. The house was built on wood posts sunk directly into the ground. Changes in the color of the soil show where the holes were dug to sink the posts. . . . — Map (db m17358) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Interpreting Jamestown
In 1934, the National Park Service acquired 1,500 acres of Jamestown Island, including New Towne. Since then, the NPS has used different methods to tell visitors about the town. After archaeologists unearthed numerous structures with brick . . . — Map (db m17211) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Iron and Industry
The raw materials for the smelting of iron were all found here: lime from oyster shells, bog ore from the swamp, charcoal from burned trees. A circular kiln, 10 feet across and lined with baked clay, sat over a pit with an air vent to the surface. . . . — Map (db m17218) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Jackson Home 1620s
Jackson the smith was at work in his shop . . . Minutes of the General Court, 1623 Protection was of the utmost importance in the early years of Virginia. Gunsmiths like Jamestown resident, assemblyman, and churchwarden John Jackson, were . . . — Map (db m17212) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Z-266 — James City County / York CountyArea 164 Square Miles / Area 186 Square Miles
Marker Front: One of the original shires formed in 1634, and named for Jamestown, the first settlement in Virginia, 1607. Williamsburg is in this county. Marker Reverse: One of the eight original shires formed in 1634. First . . . — Map (db m73950) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — James Fort Site 1607 – 1624
You are about to enter the site of 1607 James Fort, the heart of the first, permanent English settlement in North America. The sections of log walls stand above archaeological remains of the original palisades. The walls enclosed about one acre, in . . . — Map (db m11470) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — James River
Indians knew this as the Powhatan River, the colonists renamed it in honor of their sovereign, James I. It is one of Virginia's longest and broadest rivers. Rising in the Appalachians it flows eastward, often soil laden, 340 miles to the Chesapeake . . . — Map (db m31087) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — V-44 — Jamestown
Nearby to the east is Jamestown, the original site of the first permanent English colony in North America. On 14 May 1607, a group of just over 100 men and boys recruited by the Virginia Company of London came ashore and estblished a settlement at . . . — Map (db m2443) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — JamestownNational Historic Site
This part of old “James Towne” has been owned and preserved since 1893 by the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities. Founded May 13, 1607, “James Towne” was the first permanent English settlement in . . . — Map (db m10262) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Jamestown
Across the swamp lies Jamestown Island. Powhatan Creek below you, takes its name from the Indian Chief. To the right is Glasshouse Point, place of early glassmaking and later a part of the suburb of "James Cittie". — Map (db m30733) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Jamestown Island
The woodland and marsh beyond the water is Jamestown Island, a pear-shape area of some 1,500 acres, being about 2½ miles in length. It is separated from the mainland by Back Creek. In more recent times the wide mouth of this creek, which you . . . — Map (db m31077) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — W-38 — Jamestown Road
The ancient road that linked Jamestown, the original colonial capital, with Middle Plantation(later Williamsburg) followed a meandering course. It departed from Jamestown Island and then turned northeast, crossing Powhatan and Mill Creeks. As it . . . — Map (db m2446) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Jamestown Tercentenary Monument
East Side of Monument: Virginia Company of London Chartered April 10, 1606 Founded Jamestown and sustained Virginia 1607 – 1624 North Side of Monument: Jamestown The first permanent colony of the English people. The birthplace . . . — Map (db m11467) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Jamestown’s Churches
The First and Second Churches Captain John Smith reported that the first church services were held outdoors “under an awning (which was an old sail)” fastened to three or four trees. Shortly thereafter the colonists built the first . . . — Map (db m17053) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — W-48 — Littletown
In the second quarter of the 17th-century, merchant George Menefie developed a 1,200-acre plantation just east of here he called Littletown. In March 1633, Dutch trader David DeVies observed that his two-acre garden was "full of Provence roses, . . . — Map (db m9505) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — W-44 — Magruder’s Defenses
Here is a redoubt in the line of Confederate defenses, built across the James-York Peninsula in 1861-62 by General John B. Magruder. — Map (db m10540) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — W-51 — Martin's Hundred
This plantation was allocated to the London-based Society of Martin's Hundred by 1618 and was later assigned 21,500 acres. It was initially settled in 1620 around Wolstenholme Town, its administrative center, located near the James River. . . . — Map (db m9495) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — W-52 — Martin's Hundred Church
The first Martin's Hundred Parish church was probably built at Wolstenholme Town, an early 17th-century settlement that was located a mile southeast of here. None of the structures excavated there have been identified as a church; it may have been . . . — Map (db m9497) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — May-Hartwell Site 1660-1699
Evidence from wills, deeds, land plats, patents, and court cases helps to identify structures excavated by archaeologists. When historians digitalized two 17th-century land plats and superimposed them on a modern map of Jamestown, they matched a . . . — Map (db m17310) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Neck of Landnear "James Citty"
This area, like a peninsula and bounded on three sides by a marsh, is just across Back River from Jamestown Island. In 1625 there were a number of houses and 25 people living here. The settlement had close community ties to “James Citty” . . . — Map (db m31073) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — W-28 — Olive Branch Christian Church
In 1833 the founders of Olive Branch Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) met for worship at Hill Pleasant Farm. By 1835, the congregation had built a brick church on land donated by Dr. Charles M. Hubbard and Mary Henley. During the Civil War, . . . — Map (db m23598) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Oyster Shells to Mortar
Brick, lime, and pottery kilns operated throughout Jamestown. A small paved pit here, filled with oyster shells and moistened lime, marked a kiln where mortar or plaster was made. Different pits produced varying qualities of mortar and plaster. . . . — Map (db m17314) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Palisades
“our extreme toil in bearing and planting palisades so strained and bruised us, and our continual labor in the extremity of heat had so weakened us” – John Smith These replicated sections of James Fort’s palisades are . . . — Map (db m100110) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Paspahegh
When the English colonists arrived in 1607, they landed in Paspahegh Country, which extended westward along the shore of the James River to the Chickahominy River and beyond. The Native Americans who lived here were Algonquin speakers that fished, . . . — Map (db m90951) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — W-37 — Peninsula Campaign
During the Peninsula Campaign of 1862, both Confederate Gen. Joseph E. Johnston and Union Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan had their armies west toward Richmond on this road. Johnston evacuated Yorktown on 3-4 May and withdrew up the Peninsula, with . . . — Map (db m10118) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Pitch and Tar Swamp
To the north, Jamestown Island is ringed with slow moving water and a marsh of reeds, cypress, and pine. One of the first industries attempted at Jamestown was the extraction of pitch and tar from the pine trees in this swampy area. Pitch, tar, and . . . — Map (db m17219) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — V-45 — Pocahontas
Matoaka, nicknamed Pocahontas (“mischievous one”), the daughter of Powhatan, was born about 1597. She served as an emissary for her father and came to Jamestown often in 1608. In 1613, Samuel Argall kidnapped Pocahontas while she visited . . . — Map (db m2448) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Pocahontas
Erected in 1922, this statue by William Ordway Partridge, honors Pocahontas, the favorite daughter of Paramount Chief Wahunsenacawh (better known as Powhatan), ruler of the Powhatan Paramount Chiefdom. Pocahontas was born around 1595, probably at . . . — Map (db m11371) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Powhatan’s HeadquartersCaptain John Smith Chesapeake National Historic Trail
(panel 1) Powhatan's Headquarters At the time Captain John Smith traveled the York River, several Eastern Virginia Algonquian tribes paid tribute to a spiritual and political leader named Powhatan. In return, he provided . . . — Map (db m97289) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — W-42 — Quarterpath Road
James Bray owned land nearby in Middle Plantation by the 1650s, and Quarterpath Road probably began as a horse path to one of Bray’s quarters or farm units. Over the years, the road was improved; it extended to Col. Lewis Burwell’s landing on the . . . — Map (db m10542) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Real Estate
Early records tell of a land sale in 1636 being these 500 acres with “all howses...gardens, orchards, tenements.” The property passed from Thomas Crompe “of the Neck of Land” to Gershon Buck son of the Reverend Richard Buck . . . — Map (db m31075) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Robert Hunt1606 - 1907
To the glory of God and in memory of the Reverend Robert Hunt, Presbyter. appointed by the Church of England, minister of the colony which established the English Church and English civilization at Jamestown, Virginia in 1607, his people, members of . . . — Map (db m17023) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Row Houses
Several Jamestown families lived in row houses. This row of three houses was occupied at least from 1560 through 1720. Elaborate ironwork found here suggested that the row was handsomely furnished. Perhaps the row was home to the government . . . — Map (db m17114) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — V-440 — Samuel H. Yonge, Civil Engineer (1843-1935)
Near this location in 1901, Samuel H. Yongee, a civil engineer with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, spearheaded the design and construction of a seawall/revetment that halted the rapid erosion and loss into the James River of the most-historic . . . — Map (db m11445) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Sealing of the Magna Carta
. . . — Map (db m17051) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — V 42-a — Sir William Berkeley
Oxford-educated, Sir William Berkeley (1605-1677) was governor of Virginia from 1641 to 1652 and from 1660 to 1677, holding office longer than any other governor of Virginia, colonial or modern. Under his leadership, Virginia changed from a colonial . . . — Map (db m23613) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — W-34 — Six-Mile Ordinary
Six-Mile Ordinary, a popular 18th-century tavern also known as Allen's for its proprietor Isham Allen, stood six miles from Williamsburg. On 1 July 1774, a group of free holders congregated there and drafted the James City Resolves not to import . . . — Map (db m20805) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — W-35 — Spencer's Ordinary
On this road, four miles south, the action of Spencer's Ordinary was fought, June 24, 1781, between detachments from Lafayette's and Cornwallis's armies. — Map (db m20807) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Statehouse Foundations
The Virginia General Assembly is the oldest representative legislature in the Western Hemisphere. Meeting for the first time in July 1619, it gathered in the “most convenient place we could finde to sitt in … the Quire of the churche.” . . . — Map (db m17042) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Storehouse & First Well
“We digged a faire Well of fresh water in the Fort of excellent, sweet water which till then was wanting.” - John Smith Here, at the center of the triangular James Fort, archaeologists found remains of a storehouse and the . . . — Map (db m100119) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Swann’s Tavern 1670s
. . . in ye sd Col Swanns Ordinary at James City. Minutes of the General Court, 1677 Although councilman Colonel Thomas Swann resided across the James River at his Swann Point plantation, he also leased a Jamestown tavern that provided . . . — Map (db m17213) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — The Ambler House
The Amber House was built by the Ambler family in the 1750s as the centerpiece of a fine plantation estate. A refined Georgian-style home, it was comparable to the elegant George Wythe House in Williamsburg. The house was burned in two wars, and . . . — Map (db m17308) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — The Archaearium
In front of you is the “Archaearium,” an archaeological museum of early Jamestown history. Its exhibits explore both the James Fort excavations and those of the site above which it sits – the Statehouse, the first building built . . . — Map (db m17044) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — The English Inns of Court
Presented by The English Inns of Court to commemorate the 400th Anniversary of the founding of the Colony at Jamestown in 1607 April 2007 — Map (db m17049) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — The First General Assembly of Virginia
In honour of The First General Assembly of Virginia, here on the thirtieth day of July A.D. 1916. Summoned by Sir George Yeardley, Governor General of Virginia, under authority from the London Company, pursuant to the charter granted by King . . . — Map (db m15727) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — The Greate Road – An Early Highway pre-1607-1700s
A few days after he arrived at Jamestown in May 1607, George Percy wrote that he and his party “espied a pathway” and were “desirous to knowe whither it would bring us.” Most likely they discovered a trail used by Paspahegh . . . — Map (db m17117) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — The Hunt Shrine
This shrine is dedicated to the memory of the Reverend Robert Hunt (1568-1608), the first Anglican minister of the colony. — Map (db m17024) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — The Jamestown Riverfront 1630-1690
Jamestown provided the colonists with a deep-water port in a defensible location. Because shoreline settlements and camps allowed for easier transportation and a ready source of food, the colonists and Virginia Indians both lived on or near major . . . — Map (db m17198) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — The Site of the First Landing
The site of the first landing is directly ahead of you in the river. During the years since 1607, the river has eroded about 25 acres of this part of Jamestown Island. The original shoreline was close to the present edge of the river channel, . . . — Map (db m11374) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — The Statehouse
Just below the ground’s surface lie the original foundations of the first purpose-built statehouse at Jamestown. From the very beginning, the efforts at Jamestown were influenced by the laws and legal institutions of England. American . . . — Map (db m17046) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — The Tombs of James and Sarah Blair
The tombs before you mark the final resting places of The Reverend Dr. James Blair and his wife Sarah. Shortly after Dr. Blair was interred here, the church was abandoned in favor of a new building on the ‘mainland’. The church and the graveyard . . . — Map (db m100108) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — The Tombstones
The marker is made up of two panels Since there is little natural stone in tidewater Virginia, tombstones were rare in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. Almost all had to be imported, usually from England. Many of the people buried . . . — Map (db m100102) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — These Foundations1607
These foundations were discovered & identified in 1903 by Samuel H. Yonge, Designer of the sea-wall & author of “The Site of “Olde Jamestowne,” 1607-1698.” ----- • ----- Placed by the Association for the Preservation of . . . — Map (db m17041) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — This land called Tsenacomoco
When the English arrived in 1607, Paramount Chief Powhatan controlled much of Tidewater Virginia. His sphere of influence included over 30 tribes and 160 towns located from the coast to the James River fall line. The colonists built Jamestown in the . . . — Map (db m31057) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Tradesmen on Governor Harvey’s Lot 1630s
Despite the success of tobacco, the crown instructed Virginia’s governors to diversify and encourage trades in the colony. Governor Sir John Harvey supported this endeavor. During the 1630s, he employed a variety of tradesmen on this property . . . — Map (db m17359) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — W-49 — Trebell's Landing
At Trebell's Landing on the James River a mile southwest of here, the artillery and stores of the American and French Armies were located in September 1781. They were then conveyed overland some six miles to the siege lines at Yorktown. The troops . . . — Map (db m9501) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Water and Well
“ … not at all replenished with springs of fresh water … their wells brackish, ill-scented … and not grateful to the stomach.” If a well at Jamestown was sunk to the right depth, it could yield “sweet water.” Too deep a well . . . — Map (db m17202) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — V-52 — Wowinchapuncke
Wowinchapuncke was the chief of the Paspahegh Indians when the English established Jamestown in the tribe’s territory in 1607. He consistently resisted the English intrusion, earning both respect and hostility from Jamestown leaders. Captured . . . — Map (db m26343) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — Alumni of the College of William and MaryProminent in Establishing the American Union
Richard Bland, student in 1725, the first to announce in a formal pamphlet that England and the American colonies were co-ordinate kingdoms under a common crown, 1764. Dabney Carr, student in 1762, patron of the resolutions in 1775 . . . — Map (db m66922) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — Battle of WilliamsburgThe Bloody Ravine — 1862 Peninsula Campaign
A critical part of the Battle of Williamsburg took place here on May 5, 1862. Union troops occupied the ridge to your right across present-day U.S. Route 60. The Confederate line of redoubts stood to your left on the ridge to the west. Felled timber . . . — Map (db m10368) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — Battle of WilliamsburgEmory’s Failed Advance — 1862 Peninsula Campaign
As the May 5, 1862, Battle of Williamsburg raged along the Bloody Ravine and in front of Fort Magruder, the Union commander sought to turn the flank of the Confederate defenses. Gen. Joseph Hooker was convinced that the right flank was unoccupied . . . — Map (db m77991) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — Charlton's Coffeehouse
Constructed as a store and residence in 1750, the building was converted into a coffeehouse and operated by Richard Charlton in the mid 1760s. In October 1765, the coffeehouse was the scene of resistance to the British Parliament's Stamp Act. — Map (db m60299) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — College Camp1775-1781
On this site in September 1775 Colonel Patrick Henry established camp grounds for Virginia troops who were to rendezvous and train at Williamsburg. Several Virginia regiments left here in 1776 and 1777 to join General George Washington’s army in the . . . — Map (db m18179) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — Defending the PeninsulaAvenue of Attack — 1862 Peninsula Campaign
When Virginia seceded on April 17, 1861, Union and Confederate leaders alike saw the Peninsula as an avenue of attack against Richmond. Federal ships on the James and York rivers could guard an army’s flanks and escort supply vessels upstream. Fort . . . — Map (db m77989) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — W-40 — First Balloon Flight in Virginia
On May 7, 1801, J. S. Watson, a student at William and Mary, wrote a letter detailing attempts at flying hot air balloons on the Court House Green. The third balloon, decorated with sixteen stars, one for each of the existing states, and fueled with . . . — Map (db m16852) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — Fort MagruderAn Ugly Place to Have to Attack — 1862 Peninsula Campaign
Here are the remains of Fort Magruder, an earthen redoubt built in 1861 at the center of the Confederate defensive line. The “Williamsburg Line” stretched between the James and York rivers and consisted of fourteen forts, commonly called . . . — Map (db m10371) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — Fort Magruder
This large redoubt was the center of a defensive line crossing the Peninsula. These earthworks, constructed by the command of General John B. Magruder, were a part of the system of fortifications designed to protect Richmond. Here on May 5, 1862. . . . — Map (db m10572) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — George Wythe House and Gardens
This mid-eighteenth century building was the home of George Wythe, tutor and friend of Jefferson. Wythe was the first professor of law at an American college, and first Virginian signer of the Declaration of Independence. Washington used the house . . . — Map (db m60248) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — Great Neck
When Richard Brewster, gentleman, patented some 500 acres in this area on February 6, 1637 it was described as "the great Neck alias the barren neck". Cleared land then, the forest has since grown back. — Map (db m25816) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — In Gallia Nati Mortui in Virginia1781 - 1931
Here are inscribed the names of those soldiers of France who died within these walls and in other hospitals of Williamsburg of wounds received during the Siege of Yorktown Regiment d’Agenois Aimont, Jean Francois • Allard. Andre • . . . — Map (db m66932) HM WM
Virginia, Williamsburg — W-229 — Indian School at the College of William & Mary
Using funds from the estate of British scientist Robert Boyle, the College of William & Mary established a school to educate young Indian men in 1697, just four years after the college’s founding. To encourage enrollment, in 1711 Lt. Gov. Alexander . . . — Map (db m18164) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — James Anderson's Armoury
James Anderson, Blacksmith and Public Armourer, conducted his business on this site between 1770 and 1798. During the Revolutionary War, the Armoury employed as many as forty workmen -- blacksmiths, gunsmiths, tinsmiths, nailers, and gunstockers -- . . . — Map (db m60415) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — Jamestown SettlementRededicated April 24, 2007
Jamestown Yorktown Foundation Commonwealth of Virginia, Timothy M. Kaine, Governor

This plaque marks the rededication of Jamestown Settlement on the eve of the Jamestown Quadricentennial and upon the occasion of its 50th anniversary and . . . — Map (db m98077) HM

Virginia, Williamsburg — Mill Dam
The mound of earth in front of you was probably part of the dam for William Parks' paper mill. His mill was the first in Virginia for making paper and operated six years or more beginning 1744. Parks established the first permanent press in Virginia . . . — Map (db m25813) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — Norborne Berkeley, Baron de BotetourtGovernor of the Colony of Virginia 1768-1770
Respected Friend of the Students and Faculty of the College Gordon S. Kray "73, Sculptor This statue, a re-creation of the original marble by Richard Haward (1728-1800) that stood here from 1801 until 1958, was given to the College of . . . — Map (db m62563) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — Pasteur & Galt Apothecary Shop
William Pasteur and John Minson Galt traveled to England to study medicine before returning to Williamsburg to practice. They were partners in this apothecary shop from 1775 to 1778. In addition to dispensing drugs, they provided surgical, midwifery . . . — Map (db m60297) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — Peyton Randolph House
For more than fifty years this was the home of Peyton Randolph (1721-1775), who served the Colony of Virginia in many of its highest governmental offices and became the first president of the Continental Congress. His father, Sir John Randolph, the . . . — Map (db m60247) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — Presbyterian Meetinghouse
After receiving permission from the county court, a small group of Presbyterians began worshipping here in 1765. Besides Bruton Parish Church, this meetinghouse was the only authorized place of worship in Williamsburg before the American Revolution. . . . — Map (db m79237) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — Princess Anne Port
This site was used from 1699 when Governor Nicholson designated it as one of two ports for Williamsburg, the colonial capital of Virginia. This port was used primarily for the export of tobacco, the basis of Virginia's economy, and also as a . . . — Map (db m76543) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — Priorities of the College of William and Mary
Chartered February 8, 1693, by King William and Queen Mary. Main buildings designed by Sir Christopher Wren. First college in the United States in its antecedents, which go back to the college proposed at Henrico (1619). Second to Harvard . . . — Map (db m66923) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — Quarterpath RoadHistoric Avenue — 1862 Peninsula Campaign
On the other side of the parapet is Quarterpath Road, a historic roadbed that for centuries linked Williamsburg to Allen’s Wharf on the James River. It runs behind the Confederate fortifications here, gaining additional importance during the Battle . . . — Map (db m10532) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — Redoubt 1Engineers Debate the Williamsburg Line — 1862 Peninsula Campaign
Because Lt. Col. Benjamin S. Ewell had made little progress on the Williamsburg defenses by late June 1861, Gen. John B. Magruder, commanding the Army of the Peninsula, replaced him with Gen. Lafayette McLaws. Capt. Alfred L. Rives, acting chief of . . . — Map (db m77990) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — Sir Christopher Wren BuildingErected 1695-1699
This first building at the College of William and Mary is the oldest college building in the United States. According to an 18th-century author, it was "first modeled by Sir Christopher Wren, adapted to the Nature of the Country by the Gentlemen . . . — Map (db m79288) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — Site of First Baptist Church
In the last quarter of the eighteenth century, two black preachers, first Moses, then Gowan Pamphlet, began holding religious services out of doors for free blacks and slaves in the Williamsburg area. Although identified as an organized Baptist . . . — Map (db m55352) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — Site of the First Theatre
William Levingston, merchant of New Kent County, built the first theatre in English America on this site c. 1716. For three decades companies of actors entertained audiences at the "Play House" with latest successes from the London Stage. In 1745 . . . — Map (db m60249) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — The Capitol
The historic site was the seat of Virginia's colonial government for 75 years. Here in May, 1765, Patrick Henry denounced the Stamp Act and on May 15, 1776, a Virginia Convention unanimously proposed that the Continental Congress "declare the United . . . — Map (db m60412) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — The Christopher Wren Building1695-1931
Their Majesties King William & Queen Mary on February the eight, sixteen hundred and ninety-three, granted a charter establishing the College of William and Mary in Virginia “to the end that Church of Virginia may be furnished with a seminary . . . — Map (db m66929) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — The College of William and Mary in Virginia
A charter was granted by King William and Queen Mary in 1693, by fostering “good arts and sciences,” and by educating the youth in “good letters and manners,” the College has maintained its original mission as “a place . . . — Map (db m18165) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — The Governor's Palace & Gardens
The Governor's Palace was the home of five Royal Lieutenant-Governors, two Royal Governors, and the first two Governors of the Commonwealth of Virginia, Patrick Henry and Thomas Jefferson. An act by Virginia's General Assembly in 1706 authorized the . . . — Map (db m60245) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — The Magazine and Guardhouse
Erected in 1715, the Magazine was colonial Virginia’s storehouse for guns, ammunition, and military supplies. The action of British Governor Dunmore on the night of April 20-21, 1775, in removing gunpowder belonging to the Colony, touched off the . . . — Map (db m61632) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — The Old Capitol
Here Patrick Henry first kindled the flames of revolution by his resolutions and speech against the Stamp Act May 29-30, 1765. Here, March 12, 1773, Dabney Carr offered and the convention of Virginia unanimously adopted the resolutions to . . . — Map (db m59791) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — The Palisades
For pro­tec­tion against the Indians, the set­tlers built a log pal­isade across the nar­rows of the penin­sula between the York and James rivers. This was about 1633. Middle Plantation (later Williamsburg) began as a set­tle­ment along this . . . — Map (db m25817) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — The Public Gaol
This was Virginia's chief prison which housed debtors and criminals and served as the jail for the General Court in the nearby Capitol. Here Blackbeard's pirates, captured in 1718, were confined until the day of their hanging. Leg irons, an exercise . . . — Map (db m79241) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — The Public Hospital of 1773DeWitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum
In 1773, when Williamsburg's Public Hospital opened, it was the first facility in America dedicated solely to the care and treatment of the insane. The original building burned in 1885. Reconstructed by the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation in 1985, . . . — Map (db m61309) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — The Raleigh Tavern
During Public Times Virginia leaders often met at the Raleigh, Williamsburg's most popular inn. Here in 1769 a group of burgesses adopted the proposal of George Mason for a boycott of British goods. Five years later Burgesses again met in the Apollo . . . — Map (db m60296) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — The Secretary's Office
Officials decided to build the Secretary's Office in which to protect the public papers of the Virginia colony after a fire destroyed the first Capitol in 1747. Completed in 1748, the building was designed to be fireproof. This building also . . . — Map (db m60300) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — Washington–Rochambeau Route
Generals Washington and Rochambeau and their staffs arrived in Williamsburg on September 14, 1781. Here they gathered their troops and supplies prior to laying siege to Cornwallis at Yorktown 12 miles away on September 28, 1781. The marking . . . — Map (db m10123) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — Wetherburn's Tavern
This original eighteenth-century building, expanded to its present size after 1751, housed one of the best known taverns in Williamsburg. It bears the name of its builder and first owner, Henry Wetherburn, who previously operated the Raleigh Tavern . . . — Map (db m60414) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — Williamsburg Confederate Monument
1861 – 1865 To the Confederate Soldiers and Sailors of Williamsburg and James City County. Right of Monument:“Lord God of Hosts, be with us yet, lest we forget – lest we forget!” Left of Monument:Erected by the . . . — Map (db m10563) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — Williamsburg in the Civil WarGateway to Richmond — 1862 Peninsula Campaign
Williamsburg, once the capital of Virginia, declined after the American Revolution. By 1861, although many colonial structures still lined the streets, the Governor’s Palace and former capitol building lay in ruins. The College of William and Mary . . . — Map (db m77872) HM
Virginia (York County), Williamsburg — A Union Advance
On May 5, 1862 Lt. George A Custer (who in 1876 made his “Last Stand” on the Little Bighorn River in Montana) led a detachment along the roadway here over “Cub Dam Creek” to occupy the Confederate work on the bluff . . . — Map (db m25794) HM
Virginia (York County), Williamsburg — W-41 — Patrick Napier, Colonial Surgeon
Nearby lived “Patrick Napier of Queenes Creek in the County of Yorke chirurgeon,” one of the earliest surgeons of Scottish descent in Virginia. Born about 1634, and apprenticed to the surgeon general of the Scottish army defeated by . . . — Map (db m73941) HM
Virginia (York County), Williamsburg — Redoubt 12Hancock the Superb — 1862 Peninsula Campaign
You are near the northern end of the Confederate defensive line built in 1861 to protect the eastern approach to Richmond. The “Williamsburg Line” stretched between the James and York rivers and consisted of fourteen forts, commonly . . . — Map (db m10373) HM
Virginia (York County), Williamsburg — W-46 — Vineyard Tract
Here was an experimental farm for the culture of grapes established by the Virginia government in 1769. On this tract stood a hospital of the French-American army, 1781. — Map (db m66920) HM
Virginia (York County), Williamsburg — W-45 — Whitaker's House
A mile north of the road is Whitaker's House, headquarters of General W. F. Smith, Battle of Williamsburg, May 5, 1862. — Map (db m9504) HM

156 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement