One of the oldest congregations and the mother of several others in Anderson County, it was organized in 1788 by Elder Moses Holland who served as pastor for 41 years. Dr. James Bruton Gambrell's mother was a member here. Soldiers of five wars . . . — — Map (db m8441) HM
On May 1, 1865, cadets from the Arsenal Academy at Columbia, under Capt. John Peyre Thomas, who were en route from Greenville to Newberry to be disbanded, met a band of Stoneman's raiders near here in one of the last engagements of the war, which . . . — — Map (db m8395) HM
"Embraced by the gratitude of an entire community and held in the love and admiration of a descended family, here rests the earthen tabernacles of our beloved founder, West Allen Williams, and family. Reverently moved from a forgotten cemetery a . . . — — Map (db m19714) HM
A South Carolina "Spa"
In 1852, following the discovery of a "healing" spring and the announcement that the railroad was going to be running through the area, the Town of Williamston was chartered. In time, lots were sold for houses to be . . . — — Map (db m15719) HM
This college was founded Feb. 12, 1872, by the Reverend Samuel Lander, D.D., Methodist minister. On this site stood the college building until 1939. The school was removed to Greenwood, S.C., Sept. 27, 1904, becoming Lander College, in honor of . . . — — Map (db m8440) HM
This site and the one directly in front, Mineral Spring Park, which was donated by West Allen Williams in 1842, formed the nucleus for the new Town of Mineral Springs. In 1852, the town received its charter and the name was changed to Williamston . . . — — Map (db m19733) HM