Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Wilmington, Delaware Historical Markers

 
"Sign of the Ship" Marker image, Touch for more information
By Don Morfe, September 28, 2019
"Sign of the Ship" Marker
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — "Sign of the Ship" Tavern
Site of famous tavern of Revolutionary days known as "The Sign of the Ship." John Marshall was then innkeeper. Officers of Continental Army were quartered here. Washington, Lafayette, Aaron Burr and Commodore Perry were among its distinguished . . . — Map (db m140394) HM WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — A City’s Growing Demand for WaterCool Spring Reservoir Plaza
(Upper left) The Cool Spring Reservoir was designed by consulting civil engineer William E. Morris of Philadelphia and others as an open air reservoir formed by an earthen embankment and bordered by 10th and Van Buren Streets. Work on the Reservoir . . . — Map (db m140462) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — A French Legion Kept Watch HereWashington-Rochambeau Revolutionary Route
During the American Revolution Lauzun's Legion spent the winter and spring of 1782-1783 in Wilmington to help guard Philadelphia and Baltimore from British attack. The troops were housed in the Wilmington Academy, located where the Grand Opera House . . . — Map (db m130482) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — A Pathway through the Past
The trail you are standing on is surrounded by clues to this area's history. Some clues are clearly visible. Others are in the ground where you cannot see them. Archaeologists and historians study all these clues along with written records to learn . . . — Map (db m39710) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — African American Medal of Honor Recipients Memorial
[Panel 1:]African American Medal of Honor Recipients Memorial The Medal of Honor takes its place in our country as the highest award for military valor. The honor, awarded by the President in the name of Congress, may only be accorded an . . . — Map (db m80507) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-169 — Alexis I. duPont Middle School
The oldest portion of this structure was erected in 1893 to replace two smaller schools that were no longer adequate to serve the needs of local students. This building was constructed largely through the efforts of the duPont family, long-time . . . — Map (db m145425) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-80 — Anthony - Delaware's First Known Black Settler
A black man named Anthony was among the first permanent settlers of New Sweden. He came to the colony from the West Indies in 1639 aboard the Swedish ship Vogel Grip. Records indicate that Black Anthony became a free man named Antoni Swart, an . . . — Map (db m127648) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-A10 — Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church
Organized about the year 1769. Early meetings held in academy woods, Gilpin’s Wharf and Thelwell’s School. Church Built in 1789.

Dedicated to Bishop Francis Asbury. Here is buried Allen McLane, Lieutenant in Caesar Rodney’s Regiment 1779; Captain . . . — Map (db m92275) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-102 — Bethel A.M.E. Church
On May 10, 1846, a group of African-American residents of Wilmington who had affiliated themselves with the African Methodist Episcopal Church held a meeting for the purposes of electing trustees and organizing as a corporate body. At the time, . . . — Map (db m11010) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Bill McGowan — 1992 ~ Baseball Hall of Fame Inductee —
William Aloysius McGowan Born: January 18, 1896 in Wilmington, DE Died: December 9, 1954 in Silver Spring, MD Elected to Hall of Fame by Committee on Baseball Veterans: 1992 He introduced a colorful umpiring style with vigorous, . . . — Map (db m128080)
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-201 — Blue Rock Community Club
Established in 1917 as part of the esteemed General Federation of Women's Clubs, The Blue Rock Community Club (BRCC) provided an important social and service-oriented outlet for women. Beginning with just 11 founding members, the Club became an . . . — Map (db m94235) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Brandywine Springs
A fashionable spa and hotel was located on this site from 1827-1853. Distinguished personalities, such as Henry Clay, came for relaxation and enjoyment. T.U. Walter, the architect of the U.S. Capitol, designed and remodeled the hotel buildings. . . . — Map (db m145424) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-101 — Brandywine Village
Around 1740 water-powered mills began to appear in this area where the Brandywine River ends its journey falling 124 feet in its final five miles. Small vessels carrying grain from nearby farms sailed directly to the mills. Other ships laden with . . . — Map (db m129264) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NCC-246 — Brandywine Village and the Road to Yorktown
On September 4-7, 1781, residents of Brandywine Village watched as thousands of American and French troops marched through their community along the King’s Highway on their way to Yorktown, Virginia. The combined forces, under the commands of . . . — Map (db m140593) HM WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-138 — Brown v. Board of Education
Delaware remained a racially segregated society until the mid-twentieth century. Though the segregation of public schools was supported by the “separate but equal” doctrine that had been upheld by the nation’s highest court, the . . . — Map (db m3124) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NCC-238 — Burton V. Wilmington Parking Authority
In August 1958, Wilmington City Councilman and Civil Rights activist William “Dutch” Burton worked with the NAACP to expose the racially discriminatory practices of the Eagle Coffee Shoppe. The restaurant was located on this site in a . . . — Map (db m140547) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Caesar Rodney Monument
This statue was dedicated in 1923 to commemorate Caesar Rodney's ride to Philadelphia, July 1-2, 1776. Despite ill health, Rodney rode through thunder and rain to cast the deciding vote in the Delaware delegation for independence. — Map (db m127806) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-79 — Camp DuPont
First established May, 1861. The Fourth Regiment Delaware Volunteer Infantry camped here June to October 1862, whence they moved to a camp of the same name near Kennett Pike. The remustered First Delaware Regiment camped here in early February 1864, . . . — Map (db m145423) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Christopher Columbus1451 - 1506 — Italian Explorer, Navigator, and Colonizer —
side one Born circa 1451, in Genoa, Italy, at the start of the Renaissance, Christopher Columbus proposed to reach the rich trading lands of Asia by sailing west across unchartered seas. This revolutionary idea was finally accepted by Queen . . . — Map (db m69347)
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-146 — Clifford BrownLegendary Jazz Musician
Born on October 30, 1930 in Wilmington, Delaware, Clifford Brown was one of the most influential jazz musicians of the mid-20th century. He began to play the trumpet as a teenager while attending Howard High School. By 1948 he was playing in . . . — Map (db m130221) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-121 — Cool Spring Park
With the completion of Cool Spring Reservoir in 1877, an adjoining parcel of unused land was reserved for park purposes. Formally designated as Cool Spring Park, the grounds were managed by the Wilmington Water Department until 1967, when the City . . . — Map (db m10917) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NCC-242 — Delaware Chemical Engineering Company
Francis Irenee du Pont (1873-1942) began developing this site as an experimental laboratory for his newly-created Delaware Chemical Engineering Company in 1915. Du Pont used the lab to continue his research with smokeless gunpowder and other . . . — Map (db m140577) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-207 — Delaware Children's Theatre
Plans for this colonial revival-style structure were drawn by Philadelphia architect Minerva Parker Nichols, one of the first female architects in the United States. Construction of the building, which features eclectic components as well as the . . . — Map (db m128081) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Delaware Military AcademyUnion Field Cannon — Used by Delaware Troops at Gettysburg 1863 —
Dedicated to All Delaware Veterans Delaware Military Academy By CMCPO Joshua Loper, First DMA Eagle Scout Military Science Course Project Unique 1861 Iron Cannon Last Survivor from Lobdell Foundry Union Field Cannon Used by . . . — Map (db m66921) HM WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-141 — Delaware's Jewish Community
This building, once known as the Morrow Building, symbolizes the founding of an organized Jewish community in Delaware. Jews have been present in Delaware since the 1650's. Until the late 19th Century, the Jewish community was too small to maintain . . . — Map (db m40490) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Delcastle
Near this site..."an eminence near McKennan's Church", the Continental forces took position against a British detachment encamped a half-mile away near Mill Town sent as a decoy, while the main body of the British army marched north to Kennett . . . — Map (db m145587) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-85 — Ebright Azimuth
The highest bench mark monument in Delaware is located on Ebright Road. This horizontal control mark denotes an elevation of 447.85 feet above sea level. The Delaware Geological Society through its relationship with the National Geodetic Survey has . . . — Map (db m128088) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-143 — Ezion-Mount Carmel United Methodist Church
In 1805 a group of African-Americans, desiring greater freedom of worship, withdrew from Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church to form a separate congregation. Led by Peter Spencer and William Anderson, they established what was then known as the . . . — Map (db m14757) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-223 — Fells Mill Historic District
Constructed in 1749, the area is home to one of the earliest mill sites on the Red Clay Creek. A three-story flour mill once served as the center of activity on the site, and was the location of Oliver Evans’ first automated flour mill operation. In . . . — Map (db m145422) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-190 — First Flight of the Delaplane
Near this site, on October 21, 1910, the first heavier than air aircraft built in Delaware made its first flight. The aircraft, known as the Delaplane, was built by Robie Seidelinger and piloted by Eddie Bloomfield. The construction was funded by . . . — Map (db m92283) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-77 — First Presbyterian Church
This church originally stood at the corner of 10th and Market Streets and was the first Presbyterian church in the city. It was constructed in 1740, just after Wilmington received its charter from King George II. Following the Battle of the . . . — Map (db m13557) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Five Points Civil Association Fire Squad Bell
This bell was donated to the Five Points Civic Association Fire Squad by the Weccacoe Fire Company, 2nd & Jackson Streets, Wilmington, Delaware and used to summon men to alarms in the early 1900's. It was reconditioned and placed here as a . . . — Map (db m130506) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-209 — Former Site of the Delcastle Prison FarmFormer Site of the Delcastle Prison Farm
Farmland along McKennans Church Road, formerly owned by the Wells and Gregg families, was acquired by the New Castle County Workhouse at Greenbank circa 1915-16 and named Delcastle Farms. Located approximately two miles from the main prison . . . — Map (db m145624) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Fort Christina
Fort Christina-This park commemorates New Sweden, the colony founded when Peter Minuit’s expedition landed from the Swedish ships Kalmar Nyckel and Fogel Grip on the natural wharf of rocks at the riverside about March 29, 1638. Fort Christina, built . . . — Map (db m140502) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Fort Christina National Historic Landmark
Managed by the Delaware Division of Historical & Cultural Affairs

(302)736-7400 — Map (db m92274) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NCC-236 — Forty Acres
Forty Acres was established in 1864 as an early streetcar suburb of Wilmington. The area was once part of a larger land tract called Hope Farm. Joshua Heald purchased forty acres of the farm and developed the neighborhood and the first horse-drawn . . . — Map (db m140542) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-113 — Frank E. Schoonover Studios
The Frank E. Schoonover Studios were constructed in 1905 by Wilmington philanthropist Samuel Bancroft, Jr. Plans were provided by architect E.L. Rice, incorporating a Queen Anne design with four contiguous units. The original occupants were Frank E. . . . — Map (db m13559) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-175 — Frank Furness Railroad District
The B&O Water Street Station (1888), the Pennsylvania Railroad Office Building (1905), and the Wilmington Train Station (1907), comprise a unique campus of railroad architecture by renowned Philadelphia architect Frank Furness (1839-1912). . . . — Map (db m129553) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-128 — Freedom Lost
By the late 1700s the institution of slavery was declining in Delaware. A changing economy and the active efforts of Quakers and Methodists had led to the manumission of many slaves and dramatic growth of the state’s free black population. Though . . . — Map (db m10950) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — General Casimir Pulaski1747 – 1779 — Pulaski Park —
Exiled from his native Poland for his part in its struggle for liberty. He came to this country formed the Pulaski Legion and gave his life in the war of American Independence — Map (db m68368)
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — George Read Memorial
In memory of George Read signer of the Constitution of the United States by the Delaware State Society, NSDAR, in this year Bicentennial year 1987.

(Inscription on tomb stone) George Read born A.D. September 1732 Died 21st September . . . — Map (db m107935) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-100 — Gibraltar — Placed on the National Register of Historic Places ~ 1998 —
In 1844, John Rodney Brinkle, grandnephew of Delaware patriot Caesar Rodney, built the Italianate core of this Brandywine granite home, named for the high, prominent rocky outcropping upon which it sits. In 1909, Hugh Rodney Sharp (1880-1968) and . . . — Map (db m145461) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-114 — Grace Episcopal Church
On December 30, 1835, a group of local residents met at the Talley School House to organize themselves as a congregation of the Episcopal Church. The old school, which was located on Naaman’s Road, was purchased the following February to serve as a . . . — Map (db m128090) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-156 — Grand Lodge of Delaware A.F.&A.M.
Organized Freemasonry in Delaware can be traced to the mid-18th century. For many years Lodges were chartered by other states. On June 6, 1806, representatives of Masonic Lodges located in Wilmington, New Castle, Newark, and Laurel, met at this . . . — Map (db m92276) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-84 — Gravesite of Bishop Peter Spencer (1779-1843) and His Devoted Wife, Annes
Born a slave, Bishop Spencer was the father of Delaware’s independent Black church movement. In 1813, he founded the Union Church of Africans, presently known as the African Union Methodist Protestant Church. The mother AUMP church . . . — Map (db m144198) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Greenbank Mill
This frame grist mill, located on the Red Clay Creek, said to be on the site of an old Swedish mill, was operated continuously by water power from 1790 until 1969. The mill race, floodgates and dam are still intact. — Map (db m43403) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-6 — Gunning Bedford, Jr.
1747-1812. Member of Continental Congress and of Annapolis Convention. A framer of United States Constitution, which Delaware was first to ratify. Appointed First District Judge of Delaware by President Washington. Purchased this property 1793 as . . . — Map (db m14706) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — H. Fletcher Brown: The Man and the Vocational School
In 1938 the Wilmington Board of Education proudly dedicated a new vocational high school on the northwest corner of Market and 14th Streets. State and city dignitaries attended the ceremony that officially opened a school that for the next three . . . — Map (db m131160) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Harriet Tubman(born Araminta Harriet Ross; 1820 - March 10, 1913)
"I had reasoned this out in my mind, there was one of two things I had a right to, liberty or death; if I could not have one, I would have the other." Born on Maryland's eastern shore, Harriet Tubman's family of eleven suffered the . . . — Map (db m130473) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Historic ShipyardsRiverfront Wilmington
"Iron Steam Shops, Steam Boats & Iron Sailing Vessels Completed in Every Particular" Harlan & Hollingsworth & Co., Wilmington, Delaware, 1878 To comply with federal law protecting historic sites, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, . . . — Map (db m130502) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Historic ShipyardsRiverfront Wilmington
"This is the great art—the modern triumph of skill and labor. There go the ships." Harper's New Monthly Magazine, April 1878 The Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation purchased the Harlan & Hollingsworth shipyard in 1917. The . . . — Map (db m130503) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-A1 — Holy Trinity Church(Helica Irefaldighets Kyrka)
In 1638 a colony from Sweden landed at the Rocks nearby. There they built Fort Christina, worshiped therin until 1667 and then built a log church at Cranehook on South side of Christiana River. In 1698, inspired by their pastor, Eric Bjork, they . . . — Map (db m11014) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-82 — Howard High SchoolFirst Secondary School for Blacks in Delaware
Founded in 1867 by the Association for the Moral Improvement and Education of Colored People and named for Civil War General Oliver Otis Howard, the original school was located at 12th and Orange Streets. Pierre S. DuPont was the major benefactor . . . — Map (db m10914) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-A4 — John Dickinson1732 - 1808
Nearby is grave of John Dickinson, Lawyer, Scholar, and Statesman. Member Colonial Assemblies of Delaware and Pennsylvania and Legislative Council of Delaware State. Delegate from Pennsylvania to Stamp Act Congress. Representative in Continental . . . — Map (db m129371) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-81 — John McKinlyPresident (Governor) of Delaware, 1777
Delaware's only known foreign-born governor, John McKinly emigrated from Northern Ireland to Wilmington in 1742, began a medical practice and became actively involved in Delaware politics. McKinly served as a member of the Colonial Assembly, . . . — Map (db m39575) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-A2 — Joseph Tatnall House
Built about 1760. Anthony Wayne's Headquarters 1777. General Washington, Lafayette, Wayne, and other officers met here to hold council and hear reports prior to the Battle of Brandywine. Later occupied by British. Joseph Tatnall owned and operated . . . — Map (db m92278) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-109 — Kentmere Parkway
This 14.7-acre strip of land, connecting Rockford Park and Grove with Brandywine Park, was designed by famed American landscape architect Frederick Law Olmstead. The land was donated by two Wilmington businessmen, William M. Fields and William Poole . . . — Map (db m13578) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-149 — Knotty Pine Restaurant
In 1875 the Delaware General Assembly enacted legislation requiring the racial segregation of public places such as train stations, hotels, and restaurants. For most of the next century this practice was strictly enforced. Established at this . . . — Map (db m10920) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Korean War Memorial
In memory of the Delawareans who gave their lives in the Korean War, 1950 — 1953 Thomas J. Angeline Frank Biselis Paul L. Brittingham William J. Clark Le Roy M. Cooke Samuel L. Crawford Howard B. Davis, Jr. Vernon . . . — Map (db m130501) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Kosciuszko Park• Tadeusz Kosciuszko • — American Soldier • Polish Patriot —
In observance of the Nation’s Bicentennial, this park by resolution of the city council of Wilmington was named In Memory of Tadeusz Kosciuszko 1746 ~ 1817 Colonel, Army of the United States American Soldier Major General, . . . — Map (db m68371) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-181 — Lincoln's Speech
On June 10, 1848, Congressman Abraham Lincoln traveled to Wilmington, Delaware, for the purpose of addressing a meeting of members of the Whig political party. He was accompanied by Delaware Representative John W. Houston and two other members of . . . — Map (db m94199) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-197 — Lombardy Hall
In 1682, William Penn granted 986 acres of land at this location to Valentine Hollingsworth. A portion of the tract was subsequently conveyed to the Robinson family in 1726. The present stone dwelling was erected here circa 1750. In 1785, Gunning . . . — Map (db m92148) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Looking Back......about 100 years ago from this spot.
Though is is not done today, ice skating on the Brandywine River used to be quite popular. In this photo from about 1913, park visitors enjoy the ice with their dogs!Map (db m13558) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Looking Back......over 100 years ago from this spot
The Sugar Bowl, used as a band shell and observatory, stood at the original entrance to the Brandywine Zoo in the early 1900's. The pavilion was demolished in two stages--its dome was taken down in 1949 and the railings were removed in 1959. . . . — Map (db m65718) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Looking Back......over 70 years ago from this spot
Created during the Great Depression, this garden's first plants were 670 roses donated by Mr. Jasper Crane. In 2001, the Friends of Wilmington Parks began restoration to return the garden to its original state. — Map (db m131157) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Looking Back......over 100 years ago from this spot
Brandywine Park was created to give urban residents relief from city living and working conditions. A young woman is pictured sitting atop an outcropping of Brandywine Blue Rock in 1897. — Map (db m131158) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Looking Back......over 100 years ago from this spot
In this photo from about 1913, park visitors enjoy the ice along with their dogs. A series of cold winters made ice skating on the Brandywine River a popular pastime. The dam pictured is the remnant of an early mill in Wilmington. — Map (db m131163) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Looking Back......more than 100 years ago from this spot
The Sugar Bowl, built in 1902, was so named because of its lid-like domed roof. It was used as a concert site and venue for community programs. The Sugar Bowl eventually fell into disrepair and was reduced to a plaza and chain link fence. . . . — Map (db m131165) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Looking Back......over 50 years ago from this spot
The Josephine Fountain has been drawing visitors to Brandywine Park since the 1930s. The fountain was built in honor of Mrs. Josephine Tatnall Smith who enjoyed walking through the park. Here families and couples enjoy a cool spring day in the . . . — Map (db m131170) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Lorraine FlemingDelaware State Parks — Pioneer of Preservation —
Our generation has the moral obligation to make sure that future generations have open spaces to enjoy where they can refresh their spirit. — Lorraine Fleming As a student, Lorraine Fleming and her classmates took wildflower walks through . . . — Map (db m130509) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Louis L. Redding City County Building
Named in honor of Delaware’s first Afro-American attorney, graduate of Howard High School, Brown University, and Harvard Law School, admitted to the Delaware Bar in 1929, pioneer in the struggle for equality and tireless advocate in civil rights . . . — Map (db m143952) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Lynn W. Williams - Pioneer of PreservationConservationist, Educator, Advocate — Delaware State Parks Pioneer of Preservation —
As a child, Lynn Williams spent her summers among the rural landscapes of her native New York. There she discovered what would become a lifelong appreciation and love of nature. Lynn brought that love of nature with her to Delaware, where she has . . . — Map (db m130507) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Major Peter Jaquett
Sacred to the memory of Major Peter Jaquett, a distinguished officer of the Revolution Army, who died at his residence, Long Hook Farm, near this city, September 13th, A.D. 1834, in the 80th year of his age, having been born on the 6th of . . . — Map (db m42647) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-171 — Marshallton
By 1767, Solomon Hersey was operating a merchant grist mill in this area along Red Clay Creek. The mill was purchased in 1835 by John Marshall. In the following year he expanded the operation to rolling mills and the settlement that came to be known . . . — Map (db m43405) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — McKinleyPresident — March•4•1897 — Sept•14•1901 —
President Governor Member of Congress Major Captain Lieutenant Sergeant — Map (db m131162) HM WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-76 — Meeting House 1816Religious Society of Friends
Grew from New-Wark Meeting established 1682. Present house is third in this vicinity. Friends School begun here in 1748 has operated continuously. Among 3,000 buried in yard are founders of Wilmington, John Dickinson, "Penman of the Revolution," and . . . — Map (db m10943) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-200 — Mother Union American Methodist Episcopal Church
Established in 1813 by free African American Peter Spencer, the Union Church of Africans was the first independent African American religious denomination in the United States. After leaving Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church to start Ezion Methodist . . . — Map (db m94195) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-132 — Mount Lebanon United Methodist Church
This congregation was organized in 1812. For a number of years services were conducted by Methodist “circuit riders” in members’ homes and local schools. On March 7, 1834, Thomas and Hannah Aldred donated land at this location on which . . . — Map (db m92282) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-87 — Mount Olive Cemetery
In 1862 the members of Mother AUMP Church, also known as the Union Church of African Members, purchased property at the corner of Lancaster Ave. and Union St. in Wilmington for the purpose of establishing a cemetery. In 1914 the Church sold the . . . — Map (db m145421) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NCC-239 — Mount Pleasant Methodist Episcopal (ME) Church and Parsonage
Mount Pleasant ME Church formed in 1837 as an outgrowth of local camp meetings. Construction on the simple stone church began in 1838 and a cemetery was established in 1841. In 1893, Mount Pleasant added stained glass windows, a raised pulpit, and . . . — Map (db m140549) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-170 — Mount Pleasant School
On February 12, 1829, the Delaware Legislature passed the “Act for the establishment of free schools.” To meet the educational needs of the area’s youth, local residents formed a committee that purchased a parcel of land from Joseph Orr . . . — Map (db m80519) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-163 — Mount Salem United Methodist Church
The origin of this congregation is traced to the early 19th century when the Brandywine Manufacturer's Sunday School was established to serve the spiritual and educational needs of the families of workers in the industrial community on the . . . — Map (db m13589) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — New Castle County Vietnam Memorial
New Castle County Honors the Delawareans Who Served in Vietnam [Plaque 1:] Robert P. Acher, Jr. James R. Adams Thomas B. Adams George L. Aikin Robert D. Alexander Douglas D. Alley Francis B. Amoroso Charles R. . . . — Map (db m131166) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — North Memories of Brandywine Park
Brandywine Park was created more than a century ago and has remained a quiet refuge in the heart of Wilmington ever since. In 1881, local businessman William Poole Bancroft recognized that the growing city of Wilmington had no public open . . . — Map (db m130510) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-155 — Old Farmers Bank
On February 4, 1807, the General Assembly of the State of Delaware passed an act modeled after the charter of the Bank of the United States “to establish a Bank…under the name of the Farmers’ Bank of the State of Delaware.” On January . . . — Map (db m10946) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Old Soldiers' Park
Early in the 1890s, Civil War Union veterans claimed a small corner of Brandywine Park as a place to congregate in good weather. The familiar sight of the old soldiers sitting regularly in that area led people to call the spot "Old Soldiers' Park." . . . — Map (db m131159) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-8 — Old Swedes' Church
Erected by Swedish settlers 1698. — Map (db m42646) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-150 — Old Town Hall
The construction of Town Hall began in 1798. Completed the following year, this was the first structure in Wilmington built for government use. It was designed by a building committee which followed the Borough Council’s request that the structure . . . — Map (db m10947) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-216 — One Love Park
Originally named Tatnall Street Playground in 1907, this park is located across the street from the home at 2311 Tatnall Street that singer-songwriter Bob Marley occupied with his mother in 1966. In order to raise funds to start his own record label . . . — Map (db m94214) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Richard Bassett
In honored memory of Richard Basset Signer of the Constitution of the United States — Map (db m61006) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-197 — Riverview Cemetery
Riverview Cemetery was founded in 1872 by a coalition of 18 fraternal lodges of the Knights of Pythias and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. This 42-acre site was the first cemetery outside of Wilmington city limits to be open to people of all . . . — Map (db m92151) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-34 — Robert Kirkwood, Jr.
Born in 1756, Robert Kirkwood, Jr. spent his youth on the family farm several miles north of Newark. Kirkwood eventually enrolled at the Newark Academy, later to become the University of Delaware. When the American Revolution began, Kirkwood was . . . — Map (db m145279) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-110 — Rockford Tower
In 1895, Theodore Leisen, engineer for the Wilmington Board of Park Commissioners, recommended that "a large pavilion and observatory" be built in Rockford Park on what was called Mt. Salem Hill, the highest point in the city at 330 feet above sea . . . — Map (db m13590) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-165 — Rockwood
Rockwood Mansion was completed in 1854 as the retirement home of Wilmington native Joseph Shipley. Shipley amassed his fortune as a merchant banker while living in Liverpool, England. Joseph Shipley hired Liverpool architect George Williams to . . . — Map (db m13612) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NCC-226 — Rodney Square
Rodney Square, named for Caesar Rodney, has been the symbolic center of Wilmington since the early 20th century. The area served as a reservoir from 1827 to 1877, and as the site of the New Castle County Courthouse from 1877 to 1919. Pierre S. . . . — Map (db m130470) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-94 — Saint Joseph Church
The cradle of African-American Catholicism in Delaware, St. Joseph Church was organized in 1889 by Father John A. DeRuyter of the Josephites. Services were first held in the basement of St. Mary’s Church on 6th and Pine Streets. Incorporated as St. . . . — Map (db m10919) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-148 — Salesianum School
Salesianum School, a Catholic high school for young men, stood at 8th and West Streets from its founding in 1903 until its move to this location in 1957. The original "House of Sales" was pioneered by Rev. Charles Fromentin, Rev. James Isenring and . . . — Map (db m13580) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Samuel Francis Du Pont
. . . — Map (db m19452) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Samuel Rodmond SmithApril 20, 1842 Sept 30, 1912
Soldier of the Civil War, Lieutenant 4 Delaware Infantry 1862, Captain 4 Delaware Infantry 1863, Brevetted Major U.S. Volunteers and awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for gallant and meritorious services. — Map (db m107936) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-112 — Scott AME Zion Church
Zion Church in New York City, organized in 1796, was the catalyst by which the African Methodist Episcopal Zion denomination was established in 1821. By the 1870’s a number of Wilmington residents had affiliated themselves with this growing . . . — Map (db m11011) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-152 — Shiloh Baptist Church
The origin of this congregation can be traced to 1875, when members of a Sunday School class affiliated with First Baptist Church met to plan the organization of a separate church to serve the needs of the city's African-American residents. Formally . . . — Map (db m13583) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-127 — Site of DuPont Airfield
In 1924, a private airfield was established here by Henry B. duPont. Charles Lindbergh landed here in October 1927. With Richard duPont’s purchase of controlling interest in All-American Aviation, and Henry duPont’s establishment of Atlantic . . . — Map (db m128357) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-166 — Site of Gilpin Mills
Along this curve of the Brandywine, two brothers, Joshua and Thomas Gilpin, established the first paper mill in Delaware in 1787. Their high quality paper was handmade, one sheet at a time, from rags carted up from nearby Wilmington. In 1795, Thomas . . . — Map (db m74278) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-154 — Site of Old Cathedral Cemetery
In May 1852, this parcel of land was purchased by Bishop (now Saint) John N. Neumann of Philadelphia. From the early 1850s through the late 1870s, this was the primary cemetery for Wilmington’s Catholics. Those buried here represented all walks of . . . — Map (db m10916) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Soldiers and Sailors Memorial
Erected in honor of the Soldiers and Sailors of Delaware who served in the World War 1917-1918 — Map (db m131169) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Soldiers and Sailors Monumentof Delaware
Soldiers and Sailors Monument In Commemoration of Delaware’s Patriotic Dead who Sacrificed Their Lives for their country During the Rebellion of 1861 -65 — Map (db m63185) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — South Market Street BridgeRiverfront Wilmington
"...the undertaking has resulted in great convenience to the traveling community..." Reminisces of Wilmington, by Elizabeth Montgomery, 1851 Market Street has long been a major gateway into the city of Wilmington, but there . . . — Map (db m130492) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — South Market Street Bridge Dedicated in Honor of Senator John E. Reilly, Sr.Riverfront Wilmington
"...when he was called on to speak he just shifted that cigar and spoke from the heart." columnist Bill Frank on the death of his friend, Senator John E. Reilly, Sr., Wilmington Evening Journal, February 28, 1963 In many . . . — Map (db m130486) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-86 — South WilmingtonCradle of African-American Political Leadership
William J. Winchester, after serving 16 years on Wilmington City Council, became the first of his race elected to the Delaware House of Representatives. He served from 1948 until his death in 1952. Herman M. Holloway, Sr., became the first . . . — Map (db m130328) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Spencer Plaza rain gardens are working to keep Wilmington's waterways clear!
Rain is natural, but our hard-surfaced buildings, sidewalks and streets create an unnatural amount of water runoff that can cause flooding and pollute our creeks and rivers. Engine fluids (gasoline, oils, etc.) from the streets, trash on the . . . — Map (db m92149)
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-180 — St. Anthony of PaduaRoman Catholic Church
By the late 1800s, the opportunities offered by Wilmington’s expanding economy made it a desirable destination for persons from Italy seeking freedom and prosperity. Settlement accelerated in the early 20th century, and in 1924, the Bishop of . . . — Map (db m145724) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — St. Mary's Church
This church was founded in 1858 and dedicated the same year by Bishop (now Saint) John N. Neumann of Philadelphia. Referred to at the time as a ‘model of beauty, simplicity, solidity and economy,” the church represents an example of the . . . — Map (db m92277) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NCC-223 — St. Michael's Day Nursery
Founded in 1890, St. Michael's Day Nursery is one of the oldest early childhood education programs in Delaware. Originally located on Washington St., the school offered working class parents childcare at a time when it was typically unavailable to . . . — Map (db m130467) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Swedes Landing Trail
The Swedes Landing Trail, which highlights “Wilmington’s Waterfront Heritage” theme reflects the maritime heritage of the first permanent Swedish settlement in the United States. The one mule trail includes land along the northern bank . . . — Map (db m64625) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — The Big QuarterlyRiverfront Wilmington
"For the sake of peace, love, and nothing but that..." referring to the break with the Asbury Methodist Church of Wilmington, Reverend Peter Spencer The August Quarterly, originally known as the Big Quarterly, is the oldest . . . — Map (db m130484) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — The Cauffiel House and EstateA Country Home on the River
Once the summer home of a prosperous Wilmington businessman and his family, the Cauffiel House has changed little since it was built in the late 1920s. The colonial style brick house still looks down to the Delaware River over land that was farmed . . . — Map (db m39709) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-188 — The Community of Dunleith
The Federal Housing Act of 1949 established a goal of “a decent home and a suitable living environment for every American family.” However, a segregated housing market put this goal beyond the reach of African American veterans. In that . . . — Map (db m92289) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-161 — The Delaware Continentals
On December 9, 1775, the Continental Congress resolved that a body of troops be raised in Delaware "for the defense of American liberty." Commanded by Colonel John Haslet, the Delaware Regiment consisted of more than 500 battle-ready troops when . . . — Map (db m128084) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — The Great Railroad Boom"Passenger service to Philadelphia and New York. All aboard!" — Riverfront Wilmington —
In the latter half of the nineteenth century, rapid growth of the economy and demand for shipping and passenger service created a boom in railroads. Great fortunes were made which led to battles for control and consolidation of railroad lines. The . . . — Map (db m130476) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — The Great Railroad BoomRiverfront Wilmington
"... every convenience that could be thought of has been secured." reported about the car built for Henry M. Flagler, in Every Evening, Wilmington, January 4, 1887 Wilmington manufacturers found that the craftsmen who could . . . — Map (db m130485) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — The Great Railroad BoomRiverfront Wilmington
"...a handsome building...in the French Renaissance style." The Wilmington News Journal, June 8, 1886 In the early days, the B&O station was the elegant passenger facility seen above. In an effort to compete with the PW&B . . . — Map (db m130487) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — The New WorldRiverfront Wilmington
"Nothing is too Good for their Friends." William Penn, speaking of the Lenni Lanape Indians of the Delaware Valley More than 10,000 years ago, the earliest settlers of Delaware arrived from Asia emigrating across the Bering . . . — Map (db m130504) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NCC-234 — The Tilton Mansion
The Tilton Mansion was constructed in 1802 by the nation’s first Army Surgeon General, Dr. James Tilton (1745-1822). Throughout his lifetime Tilton advocated for increased hospital sanitation and was the founder and first President of The Medical . . . — Map (db m144389) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — The Underground RailroadRiverfront Wilmington
"I write to let thee know that Harriet Tubman is again in these parts..." Thomas Garrett to William Still, December 1, 1860 The Underground Railroad was a network of people—whites, free blacks, fugitive slaves, Native . . . — Map (db m130494) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-204 — The William Montgomery House
A stone on the facade inscribed with the initials "I.M" and a date of "1789" suggests that construction of this dwelling occurred during the late 18th and early 19th centuries, a period of early industrialization in Delaware. Evidence of a stone . . . — Map (db m145726) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Thomas Francis Bayard
Thomas Francis Bayard Born October 29th – 1828 Died September 28th – 1898 “Bayard is the Purest and Most Patriotic man I know” Grover Cleveland (Back of monument) United States District Attorney For . . . — Map (db m67366) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-88 — Thomas GarrettStationmaster on the Underground Railroad
Born August 21, 1789, in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania, Garrett came to Wilmington in 1822. A prominent merchant, his home and business were located nearby on Shipley Street. Garrett was committed to the anti-slavery efforts of his Quaker faith. He is . . . — Map (db m67356) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Tilton ParkNamed for Dr. James Tilton
Born in Kent County June 1, 1745. A combat officer and director of Military Hospitals during the American Revolution. While a member of the Continental Congress 1783 ~ 1785, He urged that the Capitol of the United States be placed near this site. . . . — Map (db m63184) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Vic Willis“The Delaware Peach” — 1995 ~ Baseball Hall of Fame Inductee —
Victor Gazaway Willis Born: April 12, 1876 in Wilmington, DE Died: August 3, 1947 in Elkton, MD Bats/Throws: Right/Right Elected to Hall of Fame by Committee on Baseball Veterans: 1995 With a 249-205 record, he posted 50 shutouts . . . — Map (db m128087)
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-185 — Village of Montchanin
Settled at the triangular intersection of three roads in the early 19th century by workers from the nearby DuPont Black Powder Mills, this village consisted initially of only 2.4 acres. The Wilmington and Northern Railroad established tracks through . . . — Map (db m47298) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-215 — Walnut Street YMCA
Walnut Street YMCA (Young Men's Christian Association) was designed by Wilmington architect G. Morris Whitehead II as a community center for the city's African American population. Construction began on the three-story structure in 1939 and the . . . — Map (db m94204) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NCC-225 — Washington Street Bridge
The Washington Street bridge, completed in 1921, was dedicated to the "sons of Delaware who joined forces of their country in The Great War" on Memorial Day, 1922. The 250 foot, open spandrel arch bridge serves as a lasting and rare example of . . . — Map (db m131164) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Wawaset Park
Established in 1919 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m92284) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-212 — William "Judy" Johnson Park
Regarded as one of the best third basemen to have played in the Negro Leagues, William Julius "Judy" Johnson (1899-1989) grew up nearby on the west side of Delamore Place. During his youth, Johnson played baseball at various sand lots in the city, . . . — Map (db m94212) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Willingtown Square
Willingtown Square honors Thomas Willing and the original name of the town he helped found in 1731. The four brick structures, built between 1748 and 1801, represent the types of houses common in early Willingtown. Buildings like these often served . . . — Map (db m10948) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-67 — Wilmington
Founded by Swedes 1638 at Fort Christina, the first permanent settlement in Delaware River Valley. Called Altenae by Dutch 1655. Known as Willingtown 1730-1739. Incorporated as borough of Wilmington in 1739 and as city in 1832. Washington's . . . — Map (db m19461) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-125 — Wilmington Friends MeetingBurial Place of Thomas Garrett
The first Meeting House on this site was built in 1738. It was replaced in 1748 when a larger building was constructed. The old Meeting House was then converted into a school. Known as Wilmington Friends School, it was relocated to a new facility in . . . — Map (db m10941) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-102 — Wilmington Friends School
The oldest existing school in Delaware, Wilmington Friends was founded in 1748. It resided in the first meeting house of the Wilmington Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) at Fourth and West Streets, which had been built ten years . . . — Map (db m140064) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Wilmington Historic Trail
This Historic Trail links the historical, social, and cultural patterns of development in Wilmington. The commercial and residential structures along this trail recreate the vitality and historic importance of 17th and 18th-century . . . — Map (db m130469) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Wilmington Veterans Memorial
Wilmington Veterans Memorial We the mayor and city council of Wilmington, hereby offer our most sincere appreciation to the many veterans and community organizations and the State Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control . . . — Map (db m63191) WM

140 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 4, 2020