In the days before electricity and refrigerators, many people built a kind of half-basement under a home or shed called a “root cellar” to store food.
The natural insulation of the ground lets root cellars maintain a fairly constant . . . — — Map (db m60732) HM
To disrupt Confederate recruiting efforts here in Windsor, the Bertie County seat, three Federal transports steamed from Plymouth on the night of January 29, 1864, under U.S. Navy Lt. Cmdr. Charles W Flusser. USS Whitehead and USS . . . — — Map (db m60627) HM
William Gray in 1776 set aside 100 acres at Gray’s Landing for establishing a town. 18th century travelers would have disembarked from sailing vessels docked at the foot of King Street at the old Gray’s Landing site. Visitors to Windsor today, . . . — — Map (db m60629) HM
Created by an act of Colonial Assembly in 1768, New Windsor was established on the site known as Gray’s Landing. A part of grants to the Lords Proprietors, 2800 acres on the Cashie River were sold in 1717 by John Lord Carteret, Earl of Granville to . . . — — Map (db m60630) HM
These graves were discovered during site preparation for Roanoke/Cashie River Center.
They were overgrown with vines and shrubs, and had not been tended in many years.
One grave dates to 1884. No date is found on the other headstone. . . . — — Map (db m60733) HM
Acting on orders from General Robert E. Lee in the winter of 1863-64, Confederate forces under the command of Major General George E. Pickett were deployed throughout eastern North Carolina preparatory to as an attempt at clearing the enemy from the . . . — — Map (db m60628) HM
This brick vault was once housed in the depot of the Wellington and Powell Railroad.
The W&P ran between Windsor and Ahoskie in the early to mid 1900’s carrying produce and passengers.
There was a hill on the train’s route it often had . . . — — Map (db m60730) HM