Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Winston-Salem, North Carolina Historical Markers

 
"Log House" image, Touch for more information
By Michael C. Wilcox, January 25, 2012
"Log House"
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — "Log House" — ca. 1816
A Federal House later modified in the Greek-Revival style. Research currently being conducted to prepare building as an exhibition of Historical Restorations. — Map (db m51999) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — (Former) Atkins High School
Named for prominent local African-American education pioneer, Dr. Simon Green Atkins, Atkins High School was designed by Harold Macklin in the Classical Revival style and constructed 1930-1931. Atkins was the first school in Winston-Salem built as a . . . — Map (db m83275) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — 1753 Great Philadelphia Wagon Road
The most heavily traveled in Colonial America passed near here, linking areas from The Great Lakes to Augusta, GA. Laid out on animal and Native American Trading & Warrior Paths. Indian treaties aming NY, PA, VA and the Iroquois League of Five . . . — Map (db m52540) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — 26th N.C. Regimental Band — 1862-1865
Organized in Salem, NC, March 1862, with members from local Moravian congregations. This volunteer Confederate band provided morale-building music for southern troops in many of the major campaigns during the War Between the States. The band was . . . — Map (db m52153) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — African-American West End Area
The neighborhood formerly located on the site of the baseball stadium was a noteworthy African-American area. It was established on land originally owned by Nathaniel T. Watkins, a local merchant. By the early 1900s, the area functioned as part of . . . — Map (db m52152) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Belews Street Neighborhood
The Belews Street neighborhood developed ca. 1900 and largely stood where present-day U.S. 52 and Business 40 intersect. By the early 1940s, the mixed-race neighborhood became one of predominantly working-class African-Americans, many of whom were . . . — Map (db m98778) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — J-41 — Bethabara
First settlement by Moravians in North Carolina, 1753; known also as Old Town. Church erected 1788. Town is 1 mile N.E. — Map (db m88510) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Calvin H. Wiley School
Calvin Henderson Wiley (1819-1887) was a lawyer, author, legislator, minister, and champion of public education. Wiley became North Carolina's first Superintendent of Common Schools in 1853 and remained in that position until 1865. In 1869, he moved . . . — Map (db m98784) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Carver High School
Since 1936, Carver High School has been a source of pride, accomplishment and enthusiasm for Winston-Salem and Forsyth County. It was the first high school to serve African-American students outside the Winston-Salem city limits, who otherwise would . . . — Map (db m52750) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — City Hall
Completed in 1926, City Hall has been the seat of Winston-Salem's government since its construction. An integral part of Winston-Salem's downtown streetscape, City Hall was designed by the local architectural firm of Northup and O'Brien. City Hall . . . — Map (db m51721) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Colored Baptist Orphanage Home
A significant feature of the Bellview neighborhood, the Colored Baptist Orphanage Home opened in 1905 and was the only African-American orphanage in North Carolina. About 1919, the organization moved from a nearby farm house to a new building on . . . — Map (db m63744) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — 6 — Community and Medical Gardens — (Reconstructions) — 1759 and 1761
The only known well-documented Colonial Community Garden and the earliest known well-documented Colonial Medical Garden in the United States. — Map (db m53102) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Consolidation of Winston & Salem
First Street marks the former boundary of Salem and Winston. Salem was founded in 1766 as the central congregational town for the Moravian Church in North Carolina. In 1849, when Forsyth County was formed, the Moravian Church sold 50¼ acres . . . — Map (db m98796) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Daniel Boone Trail
In Memory of Trail Maker Hunter and Pioneer DANIEL BOONE Who Hunted Fished and Fought in the Streams and Forests of this and Adjoining Counties During the Middle of the 18th Century --- This Monument is erected by the . . . — Map (db m53726) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Daniel Boone Trail
Daniel Boone lived 18 miles S.W. His Parents are buried 13 miles S.W. --.-- Here Passes the Trace of the Old Plank Road, The Fayetteville and Western, Chartered 1848 --.-- This Memorail Erected by the Boone Trail Highway . . . — Map (db m98651) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Depot Street Graded School Site
When built in 1887, the Depot Street Graded School was the largest and most important public school for African-Americans in North Carolina. Education pioneer, Dr. Simon Green Atkins, came to Winston as principal of the school in 1890. Under Atkins' . . . — Map (db m63688) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Downtown North Historic District
The Downtown North Historic District is an area of commercial buildings that developed during the early part of the 20th century. Located north of Winston-Salem's central business district, the district served as the working person's downtown, where . . . — Map (db m51973) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — East Winston Library
In April of 1953, three African—American physicians and their wives, Dr. H. Darius and Laney Malloy, Dr. H. Rembert and Elaine Malloy, and Dr. J. Charles and Beatrice Jordan offered to the city a site for the new African-American branch . . . — Map (db m98989) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Easton Neighborhood
Easton is a post-World War II subdivision built in 1949 to ease Winston-Salem's housing shortage. The GI Bill of 1944, which guaranteed low-interest home loans for veterans, promoted the construction of houses in new subdivisions and on vacant lots . . . — Map (db m100413) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — First Official 4th of July Celebration in the United States
. . . — Map (db m54485) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — 7 — First Village — (Reconstruction) — July 1754
The original frontier settlement of the 15 single brothers who arrived from Bethlehem, PA on November 17, 1753 They travelled on the nearby Great Philadelphia Wagon Road. — Map (db m53103) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Five Row at Reynolda
Five Row was community of African-American farmworkers and their families who worked at Reynolda, the estate of Katharine and R.J. Reynolds. First occupied in 1916, it began as two rows of five cottages and gardens that fronted an unpaved road along . . . — Map (db m99309) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Former Dividing Line Between Winston and Salem
Former Dividing Line Between Winston and Salem Towns Consolidated May 13, 1913 — Map (db m54635) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — J-65 — Fraternity Church of the Brethren
Oldest German Baptist (Dunker) congregation in North Carolina. Est. ca. 1775 near Muddy Creek, one mile south. — Map (db m51880) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — J-63 — Friedberg Church
Moravian. Begun in 1759, organized in 1773; first church and school built in 1769. Third structure, 1825; located 1.6 mi. W. — Map (db m51881) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Gemeinhaus — 1788
The only German Colonial Church with attached living quarters remaining in the United States. Moravian Wachovia tract leader Frederic Marshall designed building. — Map (db m51998) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — George Black House and Brickyard
This was the home and brickyard of the nationally-known brickmaker George H. Black from 1934 until his death in 1980 at the age of 101. Black, the son of former slaves, came Winston-Salem as a child. He worked for the Hedgecock and Hime Brickyard, . . . — Map (db m52674) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — George Henry Black Memorial — Master Brickmaker — 1879-1980
Honoring his contribution to the architectural beauty of his community and historic sites throughout America. — Map (db m52675) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Happy Hill
Happy Hill has played a prominent role in the life of Winston-Salem's African American community since the early years of the 19th century, when it was home to slaves on a farm serving the Moravian town of Salem. The first school for . . . — Map (db m52814) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — 2 — Herman Buttner House — 1803
Distiller's house rebuilt from materials of the 1779 House and Distillery, which burned in 1802. Only Distiller's house in Forsyth County. — Map (db m53092) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Historic Bethabara Park 1753 — (Community Garden)
Welcome to the Historic Bethabara Park Community Garden. Restored in 1990, this garden is the only well-documented colonial community garden in America. The original frontier garden of the Moravian settlers was established in 1754 to nourish the . . . — Map (db m54352) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Hotel Zinzendorf
Opening in May 1892, the Hotel Zinzendorf was a resort hotel developed by the West End Hotel and Land Company. The hotel was a venture by local business leaders to add tourism to a booming industrial, and largely tobacco-based, economy. Designed by . . . — Map (db m51983) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Kate Bitting Reynolds Memorial Hospital
The 1938 Kate Bitting Reynolds Memorial Hospital was the first facility offering comprehensive medical care and professional medical education for African-Americans in Winston-Salem. Prompted by petitions to Mayor W.T. Wilson, William Neal Reynolds . . . — Map (db m98990) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — 3 — Krause-Butner Pottery Shop — 1782
The oldest brick house in Forsyth County. Built by Johannes Schaub, Jr., as a Home and Dyer Shop. Sold to Gottlob Krause for home and pottery in 1789. John Butner purchased Home and Pottery in 1802. — Map (db m53094) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Lloyd Presbyterian Church
The congregation of Lloyd Presbyterian Church was formed in the 1870s as part of a national movement by Northern missionaries to establish African-American Presbyterian churches in the South. Lloyd Presbyterian Church's current building was . . . — Map (db m51974) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Maynard Field
Operating from 1919 until the mid-1930's, Maynard Field was the first commercial airfield in North Carolina. The airfield was named for Lt. Belvin W. Maynard, a North Carolina native and pioneer aviator. In October 1919, the Winston-Salem Board of . . . — Map (db m52852) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — J-105 — N.C. Federation of Women's Clubs
Volunteer service group promoted suffrage, education, and other social, cultural causes. Founded 1902 one-half mi. SE. — Map (db m51714) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — New Bethel Baptist Church
In 1890, New Bethel Baptist Church was organized by the Reverend George Holland, a minister from Danville, Virginia. The congregation first met in the Trade Street home of John Lee and his wife, Alice Snow Lee. The 25-member congregation later . . . — Map (db m98783) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — J-71 — Nissen Wagon Works
Begun in 1834 by John Nissen. By 1919, fifty wagons a day were produced. Sold in 1925. Was located here. — Map (db m52203) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — J-83 — North Carolina School of the Arts
Est. 1963; opened 1965. First state-supported school for performing arts in U.S. A campus of The University of North Carolina since 1971. — Map (db m54390) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Odd Fellows Cemetery
The Odd Fellows Cemetery is believed to have started in 1911 by the Twin City Lodge and the Winston Star Lodge, both African-American fraternal organizations. The Odd Fellows Cemetery is one of Winston-Salem's oldest African-American graveyards . . . — Map (db m52623) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Ogburn Station
In 1800, Edmund Ogburn arrived in North Carolina from Pennsylvania and purchased 51 acres north of Salem from the Moravians. Ogburn and his descendants, who expanded the family property, were among North Carolina's first tobacco farmers. By 1840, . . . — Map (db m100412) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — O'Hanlon's Office Building
O'Hanlon's Office Building placed on The National Register Of Historic Places built 1915 rehabilitated 1985 by Aaron Group — Map (db m99669) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Our Confederate Dead
[Front] Erected by the James B. Gordon Chapter United Daughters of the Confederacy October 1905 Winston-Salem, N.C. [Back] "Sleeping, but glorious, Dead in Fame's portal, Dead, but victorious, Dead, but . . . — Map (db m55494) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Palisade Fort — 1756-1763 — (Reconstructed)
The only French and Indian War Fort in the Southeast reconstructed on its original site. This five-sided palisade was built around the central part of the community for protection from Indian aggression. A second fort was located at the Mill Site on . . . — Map (db m52000) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Pfafftown
The farming community of Pfafftown was settled on the west bank of Muddy Creek around the farm of Peter Pfaff Sr., who purchased the land in 1784. In the mid- to late-1800s, several houses in the Greek Revival and other popular styles were built, . . . — Map (db m99753) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Pythian Hall
Pythian Hall was constructed at this site in 1902 in a prominent African-American community. The three-story brick building housed the Prince Hall Mason's and the Knights of Pythias on the second and third floors. These fraternal organizations . . . — Map (db m98782) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — J-72 — R. J. Reynolds — 1850-1918
Founder of R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company. In 1875 built his first factory in Winston. Grave 1 block E. — Map (db m51716) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — R. J. Reynolds High School and Auditorium
R. J. Reynolds High School and Auditorium were designed by Charles Barton Keen in the Neo-Classical Revival style and completed in 1923-1924. Made possible through the philanthropy of Katherine Smith Reynolds, wife of R. J. Reynolds, the complex is . . . — Map (db m51984) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — R.J.R. Labor Strikes
The R.J.R. Factory 64 is one of the local sites where large labor strikes occurred. The first took place in 1943 after a factory worker died on the job. Several hundred female workers, primarily African-American, began an immediate strike that . . . — Map (db m98776) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Reynolda Historic District
The Reynolda Historic District was part of the country estate developed from 1912-1919 by Richard Joshua Reynolds and his wife, Katherine Smith Reynolds. Financed by the enormous wealth generated by Reynolds' tobacco industry, the estate was a farm . . . — Map (db m51370) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — J-54 — Reynolda House
Built in 1917 by founder of R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Co. Dedicated 1965 as center for advancement of arts and higher education. — Map (db m31617) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Reynoldstown Historic District
In 1919, the R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company built this neighborhood of bungalows to ease a housing shortage. Initially, a majority of the development was designated for Reynolds's white employees. The 1931 construction of Atkins High School for . . . — Map (db m98988) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Richard Joshua Reynolds — 1850 - 1918
In 1875 this young Virginian aged 24 rode into Winston in search of a town in which to build his first tobacco factory. Through the generosity of the citizens of Winston-Salem and Forsyth County this memorial has been erected to honor a . . . — Map (db m51717) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — J-38 — Robert B. Glenn — 1854-1920
Governor, 1905-1909; legislator. Champion of Prohibition and of railroad regulation. Home stood 1 block W. — Map (db m31615) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — J-86 — Robert M. Hanes — 1890-1959
Banker. Economic adviser to post-World War II Europe. A founder of the Research Triangle Park. Home was 50 yds. W. — Map (db m31616) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Safe Bus Company
The Safe Bus Company was chartered in 1926, when several small "jitney" services merged their operations to better serve Winston-Salem's African-American citizens. With the motto "safety and service," Safe Bus Company eventually employed more than . . . — Map (db m51971) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — J-106 — Salem Academy and College
Moravian settlers in 1772 founded a school for girls, now a liberal arts college & academy. Campus is 1/2 mi. N.E. — Map (db m52136) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Salem Concert Hall
Site of Salem Concert Hall in which were held the First Courts of Forsyth County 1848 - 1850 — Map (db m54259) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Salem Cotton Manufacturing Company and Arista Cotton Mill
Known also as the Fries Mill Complex, the former Salem Cotton Manufacturing Company and Arista Cotton Mill is the oldest physical reminder of the textile industry in Winston-Salem. Completed in 1836, the Salem Cotton Manufacturing Company was . . . — Map (db m51815) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Salem Moravian Graveyard — "God's Acre"
. . . — Map (db m54393) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Salem Moravian Graveyard
The Moravian Graveyard is still known fondly by the old Germanic name of "God’s Acre" (Gottesacker). This burial ground is characterized by its simplicity and uniformity. As the name implies, this is a field where the bodies are "sown as perishable . . . — Map (db m54684) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Salem Town Hall
The Salem Town Hall was Salem's last municipal building before the Town's consolidation with Winston in 1913. The last of Salem's town halls to remain standing, the building was designed by the prominent local architect Willard C. Northup and . . . — Map (db m51720) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Salem Waterworks
In 1771, the Moravian Town of Salem completed construction of one of the first public waterworks systems in the American Colonies. Tapping natural springs located nearby, the system used bored logs, joined and buried underground, to deliver the . . . — Map (db m51982) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Shamrock Mills
In 1911, Shamrock Knitting Mills was the first structure built by the Hanes Hosiery empire. Originally, the company manufactured cotton socks for children and men. In 1914, Shamrock Knitting Mills was renamed Hanes Hosiery Mills Company, and in . . . — Map (db m51817) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — J-101 — Simon G. Atkins — 1863-1934
Founded Slater Academy, now Winston-Salem State Univ.; president, 1892-1904, 1913-34. Religious and community leader. Lived one block west. — Map (db m52208) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Simon Green Atkins House
The Atkins House was built by Simon Green Atkins in 1893. Atkins was responsible for the development of the Columbian Heights neighborhood and for the creation of Slater Industrial Academy, later Winston-Salem University. Dr. Atkins came to . . . — Map (db m52735) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Site of First House Erected in Winston
Site of first house erected in Winston by Thos. J. Wilson 1847 — Map (db m98779) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Symbol of Service
Dedicated to all firemen of this community. The bell first tolled to summon volunteer firefighters in the Town of Salem. Since 1912 this bell had hung in the old bell tower that was located at Station No 2, 301 South Liberty Street — Map (db m56085) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — The Children's Home
Opened 1909 by Western North Carolina Methodists for the care of children in need. Formerly the site of Davis School (military academy, 1890-1897). — Map (db m99310) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — The Forsyth County Men — Who Made The Supreme Sacrifice In The World War — 1917-1918
1917-1918 In Grateful Remembrance of The Forsyth County Men Who Made The Supreme Sacrifice In The World War Clinton A. Anderson William M. Bazemore Jim Bennett Clyde Bolling Frank J. Brewer Isaac L. Brown Sam Chambers . . . — Map (db m55728) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — The Home of Simon G. Atkins — 1863-1934
Founder of Slater Academy Now Winston-Salem State University; President, 1892-1904; 1913-1934 Religious and Community Leader. House Originally Located Three Blocks West of Current Location — Map (db m52739) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — The Honorable Willie Jones of Halifax — To the memory of — 1741-1801
Who led the 1788 Constitutional Convention of North Carolina to decline to ratify the Federal Constitution until his State and its people were assured that a Bill of Rights would be incorporated in the United States Constitution. Perhaps more than . . . — Map (db m63741) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — The Mickey Coffee Pot
Built in 1858 by the brothers Samuel and Julius Mickey, Moravian descendants of the founders of Salem, this landmark originally stood as a sign in front of their tin shop at the corner of South Main and Belews Streets in Salem — Map (db m54264) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — The Pond
At the turn of the 20th century, Winston's water reservoir was located at the top of Trade Street Hill, where Eighth and Trade Streets intersected. Disaster struck in the early morning hours of November 2, 1904, when people in the neighborhood were . . . — Map (db m52691) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Thomas J. Wilson
This site marks the location where Thomas J. Wilson built the first home in what would become the town of Winston. Wilson had received permission from the Moravian Church in 1847 to erect his dwelling north of Salem's central area, as he wanted to . . . — Map (db m98780) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — J 115 — Tobacco Unionism
Strike by leaf workers, mostly black and female, June 17, 1943, ½ mile W., led to seven years of labor & civil rights activism by Local 22. — Map (db m75569) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — J-110 — Wachovia Tract
On Dec. 27, 1752, survey for Moravian settlement began near here. Bishop August Spangenberg led frontier expedition that selected 98,985 acres. — Map (db m51879) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — J-50 — Wake Forest University
Founded 1834 in Wake County by N.C. Baptist Convention. Moved to Winston-Salem in 1956. — Map (db m51782) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — J-97 — Washington's Southern Tour
President Washington spent night of May 31, 1791, at the tavern in Salem. 1/2 mile north — Map (db m52135) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — West Salem Historic District
The West Salem Historic District recognizes West Salem's importance in the development of Salem and the growth of Winston-Salem. The neighborhood initially was settled as farms on "outlots" serving Salem during the late 18th and early 19th . . . — Map (db m52151) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Winston Mutual Life Insurance Building
On August 6. 1906, the Winston Industrial Assoc. was established by African—American leaders to provide insurance for African—American tobacco workers. The association merged with Mountain City Mutual Life Ins. Co. in 1915 to become . . . — Map (db m103063) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Winston-Salem Chapter Of The Black Panther Party
In 1969, Winston-Salem became the first Southern city with a chapter of the Black Panther Party. Nationally and locally, the Black Panthers sought to protect African—American neighborhoods from police brutality; the volatility of the times . . . — Map (db m98991) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — Winston-Salem Rotary Club
On November 9, 1915, the first organizational meeting of the Winston-Salem Rotary Club, the Piedmont Triad's first Rotary club, was held in the Zinzendorf Hotel at the northeast corner of North Main and West Second Streets. The 24 founding members . . . — Map (db m98781) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — J-31 — Winston-Salem State University
Established for Negroes as Slater Industrial Academy, 1892. State supported since 1895; University since 1969. — Map (db m52206) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — J-52 — Wm. Cyrus Briggs — 1861-1918
Invented in 1898 one of the first successful automatic cigarette machines. Workshop was 3 blocks east. — Map (db m51715) HM

86 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.