The Winterset Savings Bank was established in 1902 and moved into this building in 1914. Sam C. Smith's law office was also in this building, and he served as the bank president for a period dating from 1926.
This building served as City Hall . . . — — Map (db m72518) HM
In the early 1850's this was the site of Winterset's first hotel. Berger's Hotel was a story-and-a-half log cabin that soon became a stagecoach stop.
Later known as the Bare Block, this building has had many businesses: several grocery . . . — — Map (db m72680) HM
Before the current building was erected, boots and shoes were sold in a wood frame building on this site. Later, it became a harness shop. This brick building, built by C.D. Bevington, was originally known as the Bevington Block. It initially . . . — — Map (db m72773) HM
This is the sole pre-Civil War commercial building that remains on the square. This building illustrates the art of the stone cutter as practiced in the 1850's and 1860's using native limestone.
Originally, this building was a tannery. Hides . . . — — Map (db m72771) HM
This is one of the few one-story buildings around the square. Uses of this building include a grocery store, a confectionary, restaurants, including the Club Cafe, a health food and gift shop. For many years there was a bus stop on this end of . . . — — Map (db m72676) HM
Businesses in this building have included dry goods, boots and shoes, millinery, appliances, and health foods.
At one time the U.S. Department of Agriculture Soil Conservation Service had offices upstairs.
A Sears Catalog Store operated . . . — — Map (db m72674) HM
Prior to the construction of this brick building Kerr and Boyd operated a grocery store here. They advertised "Staple and Fancy Groceries" as early as 1874. When Mr. Boyd retired, and Kerr's son joined him, the letter "d" in Boyd was painted . . . — — Map (db m72519) HM
In 1886, groceries and boots and shoes were sold in this building. In the 1890's, the first floor was a dry goods store with a printing shop on the second floor. The Graham's Store expanded into this building in 1918. After Graham's closed, the . . . — — Map (db m72774) HM
In the early 1870s the City Bakery operated here in a wooden structure. This brick building was used by farm implement dealers in the late 1800s. In 1907 it was a grocery/meat market, and motion pictures were shown here in 1916.
By the 1930s . . . — — Map (db m72671) HM
From the 1870's through 1890's, groceries were sold on the main floor. In 1874, S.B. Wheelock advertised among other things, oranges, lemons, cigars, parlor brooms, boneless cod fish and candy. That year, Wheelock received a new delivery wagon . . . — — Map (db m72775) HM
1n 1886 there was a restaurant in the north side of the original building and a harness shop in the south side. A dry goods store in the north side and a jewelry store in the south side occupied the double store building in 1899. The Evening . . . — — Map (db m72533) HM
The original use of this building was a bank on the main floor and law offices on the second level. It also housed dry goods and groceries, several bakeries, a women's clothing store, a decorating business, a print shop, a consulting firm, and a . . . — — Map (db m72776) HM
T.S. Mardis constructed this building and most of the brick structures facing the square. Dry goods and boots and shoes were sold here in the 1880's. By the 1890's the first floor was a hardware store with a tin shop in the back. For the next 60 . . . — — Map (db m72803) HM
Uses of this building include a bakery*, a harness shop, a grocery, a pool hall, a Coast to Coast store, and a law office.
The double store front was replaced after this building suffered fire damage in 1968.
*As with many bakeries of the . . . — — Map (db m72532) HM
Over the years, this building has housed several businesses including "furnishing goods," a tailor shop, a piano store, a jewelry store, a bank, and an abstract office.
In 1864, the post office was in a wooden structure on this lot.
For . . . — — Map (db m72804) HM
This building's uses have included a boot and shoe shop, a meat market, a second hand furniture store, a dry cleaner, a Coast to Coast store, restaurants, a fitness center, and a quilt supply mail-order business.
In 1886 a shoemaker had a . . . — — Map (db m72531) HM
Clothing stores were operated from this building for over 100 years. Most of the merchants sold only men's clothing except Oliver's which sold women's clothing. Names of the business owners were Hadley, McMillan, Garrett, Rowe, Wright, and . . . — — Map (db m72806) HM
Under various owners, this building was used for furniture & undertaking, which was a popular business combination in the late 1800's and early 1900's. In 1963 this became the Iowa State University Extension Service office.
On this site circa . . . — — Map (db m72530) HM
Before the present brick building was built, Atkison & Hutchings Real Estate Agents, the Amazon Refreshment Stand, a market, and a U.S. Express office were tenants in a small wood frame building that stood on this lot. The current building . . . — — Map (db m72807) HM
Businesses in this building have included: a barber shop, a confectionary, a general store, a meat market, a hardware store, an appliance store, a carpet store, and a bakery.
Rows of nails were hammered into the wood floor and used to measure . . . — — Map (db m72529) HM
South building -
A pharmacy has been in this brick building since it was built. Lloyd Montross purchased the pharmacy and the building in 1921. His son, George, bought into the business in 1940 and was responsible for the additions to the . . . — — Map (db m72808) HM
This building was originally one story. It served as a meat market and then the Ideal Restaurant for a few years. Upon completion of the second story, the building became a theater and live vaudeville performances were held on stage.
In 1916, . . . — — Map (db m72528) HM
In 1869, a wood frame building stood on this lot, serving as a book store and the post office. The current brick building has housed a general store, a men's clothing store, and a chiropractic office in the front section of the main floor. From . . . — — Map (db m72811) HM
In the Civil War days, the county jail stood here. It was a two story log cabin and was entered on the second floor, by an exterior stairway. Two banks occupied the first floor of the current building; Citizens National Bank, and later First . . . — — Map (db m72467) HM
This building is made of native limestone. Some of the businesses that have been in the building include a hardware and a tin shop, a bank, a travel agency, and an advertising circular.
During World War II, the Selective Service office was in . . . — — Map (db m72770) HM
Grocery stores operated here in the late 1800's. By 1907, a bakery with an oven in the basement had been added, as well as a jewelry store. It later became a hardware store with a tin shop in the rear. A pool hall, a farm and auto parts store, . . . — — Map (db m72470) HM
Entrepreneur Edward Jones ran a general store on this property for several years in the mid-1800s. By 1871, he took on a partner, M. R. Tidrick, and then moved on to other ventures.
The Tidrick-Terrill Company owned and operated several . . . — — Map (db m72758) HM
This lot, including the land west to the corner, was purchased for $22 dollars in 1849. From the mid-1880's until the early 1900's, O.D. Ames, then Joeckel Bros. Clothing stores were located in this building. Later, the John Catterlin Harness & . . . — — Map (db m72471) HM
This building and the structure to the west were owned and operated by the Tidrick-Terrill Company in the late 1800s. Their furniture store occupied this building for many years. An elevator in the back of the building was shared by the . . . — — Map (db m72757) HM
In its early days, this building housed businesses selling jewelry, stationery and then drugs. A Gambels Store conducted business here from the 1930's until 1971 when Alexander Fabrics acquired the building and operated until 1996. It has also . . . — — Map (db m72472) HM
In 1857 a single story wood frame structure was built on this property. The building was divided into two 12' wide stores, each with its own front door. For 30 years a jewelry business, which also sold organs, clocks, silverware and spectacles, . . . — — Map (db m72756) HM
Drugs and Jewelry were sold from the wood frame building that originally stood here. The current building housed a succession of shoe stores for more than 100 years. Proprietors were Aikens, Allen, Stevens, and Hendricks.
In the early 1900's, . . . — — Map (db m72473) HM
Although this building appears to be one storefront, there are actually two separate buildings, and their histories intertwine. C. W. Eastman's Big Store first occupied this double storefront where dry goods were sold.
The Knights of Pythias . . . — — Map (db m72755) HM
Eli Cox, builder of several local covered bridges, had the contract to build this structure. During the construction, gas pipes were incorporated in anticipation of soon having a source for lighting. The Opera House was originally on the second . . . — — Map (db m72475) HM
Local covered bridge builder Eli Cox was the contractor for this building. Businesses have included dry goods, a harness shop, a bootery, a millinery, and an electric shop. The North Side Barber Shop has served Winterset's men since the 1930's. . . . — — Map (db m72509) HM
This building housed a general store in 1886, a clothing shop in 1893, and boots and shoes were sold here in 1907. By 1916 it was a grocery store.
The Western Auto Store was located here from the 1920s until the early 1960s when, in need of . . . — — Map (db m72741) HM
In the 1800's, agricultural implements were sold here. The Marsh Harvester advertised that "it saves the house-wife the unpleasant drudgery of providing for extra help, during the hottest season of the year" implying that extra farm hands would . . . — — Map (db m72510) HM
John Wayne's father, Clyde Morrison, worked for Smith Drug Store in this building around 1905-1910. Earlier records indicate the building housed a harness shop, a hardware store and a tin shop as well.
In 1916, a jewelry store occupied this . . . — — Map (db m72740) HM
In 1874, in a wood frame building on this lot, Ho Cheung, a Chinese immigrant, ran A.R. Shong & Co., importers and dealers of tea and coffee. They also manufactured cigars and sold tobacco. The City Bakery was here in 1875. From 1885 through the . . . — — Map (db m72511) HM
This building was a hardware store in 1886. In the early 1900s H. N. Shaw moved his dry goods store from the west side of the square to this site.
From 1931 to 1997 the J. C. Penney department store was in business here. An advertisement that . . . — — Map (db m72738) HM
This building is constructed of locally made soft bricks and originally housed three separate businesses. The east section was home to a variety of grocery stores, a jewelry store, a Skelgas appliance store, and a plumbing and heating business. . . . — — Map (db m72730) HM
This middle section of the building has been occupied by a bakery, drug stores, a pool hall, a dry cleaner, an engineering firm, and restaurants, including the Black and White Restaurant and the China Cafe.
In earlier years, the second floor . . . — — Map (db m72516) HM
In 1864 this was the site of Irish immigrant Andrew Crawford's wood-frame grocery store.
This building was erected with one main facade for three stores. Notice the matching second-story windows.
Some of the businesses housed in the east . . . — — Map (db m72517) HM
Built in 1903 and used as the Public Library from 1905 to 2001
Renovated in 2002 and reopened as City Hall in 2003
Dr. Charles D. Bevington
Born January 13, 1826 Died November 13, 1903
Resident of Winterset since 1853 . . . — — Map (db m72688) HM
Original Built: 1883
By: H.P. Jones
Replica Built: 2004
By: Herberger Construction Company
Type: Covered Timber Town Lattice Truss
Overlaid by a Queenpost Frame
Size: 130 feet (66 ft truss with an 42.5 ft approach to the south
and a . . . — — Map (db m78220) HM
Designed and built by Eli Cox.
Length: 79 feet Weight: 40 ton.
Covered timber superstructure, towne lattice truss
with overlay queenpost frame, fastened with round
wooden pins and iron bolts.
Originally located 18 miles N.E. of . . . — — Map (db m23170) HM
By: Benton Jones
Type: Covered Timber Town Lattice Truss
overlaid by a Queenpost Frame
Size: 160 feet (98 ft truss with two 62 ft
approaches) x 15 feet wide
Jones was responsible for the last all-timber truss built in . . . — — Map (db m72410) HM
[Historical excerpts from marker]
The Middle River has its origin in south-central Guthrie County. However, the navigable section of Middle River begins in east-central Adair County near Middle River Forest County Park. Middle River is a . . . — — Map (db m72408) HM
[Historical excerpts from marker]
The Middle River has its origin in south-central Guthrie County. However, the navigable section of Middle River begins in east-central Adair County near Middle River Forest County Park. Middle River is a . . . — — Map (db m72439) HM
By: Benton Jones & G.K. Foster
Type: Covered Timber Town Lattice Truss
overlaid by a Queenpost Frame
Size: 225 feet (104 ft truss with an 88 ft
approach to the south and a 33 ft approach
to the north) x 15.4 feet wide . . . — — Map (db m72438) HM
the discovery in
Madison County, Iowa
of a variety of apple
Jesse Hiatt A.D. 1872
called by him
Sole right to propagate
C.M. Stark A.D. 1894
and by him . . . — — Map (db m78219) HM
The grateful public
this marble column
to the Patriotic
who fell during the
to the soldiers of
who gave their lives
for their . . . — — Map (db m23107) HM
Dedicated to the memory of the
following men who gave the supreme
sacrifice in the defence of their country
World War II
Dale E. Bell • Harold Bloomquist • Edward Briggie • Edward Butcher • Ross Chickering • George Clark • Scott . . . — — Map (db m23148) WM
Erected by the people of Madison County, Iowa, as a grateful tribute to the memory of its soldiers and sailors.
[Red Granite Cemetery Assocation marker]:
This plot of ground was donated by the Cemetery . . . — — Map (db m23157) HM