Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Woodstock, New Brunswick Historical Markers

 
3rd Field Artillery Regiment, RCA Marker<br>(<i>tall view • dedication plaque above marker</i>) image, Touch for more information
By Cosmos Mariner, July 31, 2019
3rd Field Artillery Regiment, RCA Marker
(tall view • dedication plaque above marker)
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — 3rd Field Artillery Regiment, RCA(The Loyal Company) — 1793-1993 —
English:This plaque commemorates the bicentenary of the 3rd Field Artillery Regiment (The Loyal Company), Royal Canadian Artillery, formed in Saint John, New Brunswick, on May 4, 1793 as “The Loyal Company of Artillery” . . . — Map (db m139194) HM WM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — 7.7cm Feldkanone (Field Cannon) / Canon de terrain
(English:) Captured World War I German 77mm field gun manufactured by Krupp Armaments in Germany and introduced in 1896. Model: C96n/A Calibre: 77mm Maximum Range: 9186 yards (5 Miles) Weight: 1930 lbs. (8 75kg) Rate of Fire: 10 . . . — Map (db m138994) HM WM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Atherton's Harness Store/Magasin de harnais de F.L. AthertonMain Street/rue Principale
F. L. Atherton, Harness Maker, operated on the town square for many years. “Fred,” the plaster model horse, stood silently outside the shop displaying the wares. In 1951 "Fred” was sold to a museum in Maine. . . . — Map (db m138908) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Bailey House / Maison Bailey130 Chapel Street / 130, rue Chapel
English: Believed to have been built in the 1860’s for the Hon. Charles Connell, this Gothic Revival house was leased to Charles Bailey, a shoemaker and carpenter from the 1870’s through to his death in 1902. Bailey may have been . . . — Map (db m140137) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Carleton County Court House / Palais je Justice du comté de Carleton689 Main Street / 689 rue Principale
(English:) The Court House was built in two phases twenty years apart. The left half, completed in 1889, was designed by architect J. G. Fletcher, to house the Records Office. The upper half, with the cornerstone laid on July 31, . . . — Map (db m137483) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Carleton County Gaol / Prison du Comté de CarletonMaple Street / rue Maple
(English:) The jail was built in 1901, with H. H. Mott as architect and R. Maxwell of Saint John as contractor. It was in use until 1993. Three hangings took place in the yard of this jail: George Gee in 1904, Thomas Cammack in . . . — Map (db m138900) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Carlisle Hotel / Hôtel CarlisleMain Street / Rue Main
(English:) Originally built as the Gibson House in 1873 by Alex Gibson and his son, John, it stood on Connell St. Following the 1881 fire that wiped out most of the buildings on Main St., the Gibsons built a new hotel at the . . . — Map (db m138895) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Connell House/Maison Connell
Lumber merchant and politician, Charles Connell had this house constructed circa 1840. Its pedimented front and freestanding columns make it a fine example of the Greek Revival style. Such houses inspired by classical temples are rare . . . — Map (db m139149) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Dr. Brown House / Maison du Dr. Brown121 Chapel Street / 121, rue Chapel
English: This Classic Revival, 2 1/2 story house was built in 1896 for bank manager Mr. George White (1861-1922), and sold to Dr. J.F. Leigh Brown in 1920. Dr. Brown had just returned to Woodstock after being the Chief Medical . . . — Map (db m139199) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Dr. Prescott Private Hospital / Hôpital privé Dr Prescott712 Main Street / 712, rue Main
(English:) The Prescott House was built circa 1840 by Robert Neilson. Dr. Alfred Prescott purchased the building in 1909 for use as a private hospital and it remained in use until closing in 1927. It served as apartments and . . . — Map (db m138899) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Dr. W.D. Rankin House / Maison du Dr. W.D. Rankin737 Main Street / 737, rue Main
English: In 1905 Woodstock physician and surgeon Dr. William D. Rankin, who had been instrumental in establishing the first Carleton County Hospital three years previously, purchased this house from John Fisher, one of the owners . . . — Map (db m139198) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Flemming House / La Maison Flemming126 Chapel Street / 126, rue Chapel
English: Built c1905 for R. Norman Loane, this four square Edwardian house was designed by the same architect who built St. James United Church. Two provincial premiers have lived in this house: J. K. Flemming (premier from 1911 to . . . — Map (db m139195) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — George Connell House/Maison George Connell124 Connell Street / 124, rue Connell
Built circa 1868 this house is considered to be the best example of High Victorian architecture in Woodstock. The house was built on land that was originally part of the grounds of the Honourable Charles Connell House. It is possible that . . . — Map (db m139106) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Hay House/La maison Hay134 Connell Street/134, rue Connell
This Edwardian house, the home of Murray Hay, was built in 1904. It has a decorative verandah and a stained glass window in the dormer, facing the scenic Meduxnekeag river. Mr. Hay was a well known businessman for many years. . . . — Map (db m139183) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Hon. Charles Connell House/La maison Charles Connell128 Connell Street/128, rue Connell
Built in 1839 for Hon. Charles Connell. It represents the peak of classicism in Woodstock architecture. It is Greek Revival, its essence being the Greek Temple look. Wood is used here to imitate stone. Purchased by the Carleton County . . . — Map (db m139176) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Judge Jones House / Maison du Juge Jones119 Chapel Street / 119, rue Chapel
(English:) This house was built in 1856-1857 for Edwin Fisher, one of the owners of the Small and Fisher foundry. It is considered to belong to the "picturesque cottage style", a variation on gothic. The house is known as the "Judge . . . — Map (db m138993) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — L. P. Fisher Library/Bibliothèque L. P. Fisher679 Main Street/679, rue Principale
L. P. Fisher (1821-1905) was the first mayor of Woodstock, from 1856-1880. He was a lawyer and he advocated free public education and technical training. Due to his advocacy he left a free public hospital (his private residence), a . . . — Map (db m138868) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — L.P. Fisher Vocational School / École professionnelle L.P. Fisher138 Chapel Street / 138, rue Chapel
(English:) Constructed in 1913 in accordance with the wishes of the Lewis Peter Fisher estate, the L.P. Fisher Vocational School was erected to provide vocational training for the county's youth. It was deeded to the County and . . . — Map (db m138990) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — McLean Dairy / Laiterie McLean127 Chapel Street / 127, rue Chapel
English: This dwelling is a reminder of an era when small towns produced more of their own food. Built by local carpenter James McLean for his family in 1890, the lot included a barn where they kept the cows which supported a . . . — Map (db m139577) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Methodist Parsonage / Presbytère méthodiste132 Chapel Street / 132, rue Chapel
English: Built for the Hon. Charles Connell about 1855, this is probably the oldest surviving brick house in Woodstock. The mansard roof, which gives the house a Second Empire appearance, was added in 1880. The house may have . . . — Map (db m139193) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Newnham & Slipp Pharmacy / Pharmacie Newnham & SlippMain Street / rue Principale
(English:) With "thirty new fish-barrels of my stock in trade", is how William T. Baird described his 1839 start in the drugstore business. Bought in Saint John, his stock traveled up the St. John River - from Fredericton to . . . — Map (db m138898) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Saint James United Church / Église unie Saint James120 Chapel Street / 120, rue Chapel
(English:) Built in 1908 to the Romanesque revival design of architect H.H. Mott and replacing an earlier wooden church on the same site, Saint James's red brick and sandstone exterior make it unique among Woodstock's churches. . . . — Map (db m138992) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — St. Luke's Anglican Church / Église anglicane St. Luke's104 Church Street / 104, rue Church
(English:) Completed in 1884, St. Luke's Anglican Church is the third Anglican Church to be erected on this site, its uncompleted predecessor having been destroyed by the Woodstock Fire of 1881. The first church erected on this site . . . — Map (db m138897) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Wolverton House / Maison Wolverton123 Chapel Street / 123, rue Chapel
English: Built in 1889-1890 in the Classic Revival style for Mr. James Wolverton (1856-1917) and his wife Eva (Hovey) this was originally operated as a boarding house. At the time it was said to have one of the finest bathrooms in . . . — Map (db m139197) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Women's Institute Home / Maison de l'Institut féminin129 Chapel Street / 129, rue Chapel
English: The Women's Institute is a Canadian innovation, founded at the close of the 19th century as a discussion and action group for rural women. New Brunswick's WI was organized in 1911, at about the same time as Woodstock . . . — Map (db m139196) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Woodstock Baptist Church / Église Baptiste de Woodstock694 Main Street / 694, rue Main
(English:) The early 1800s were a time of religious ferment in New Brunswick, and there are records of Baptist meeting houses in Woodstock as early as 1813. A Free Christian Baptist Church was organized here in 1834. This Gothic . . . — Map (db m138896) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Woodstock World War II Memorial
In honour of the men and women of Canada who served on land, sea, and air overseas and at home during World War II 1939-1945 Dedicated 8 May 2005 60th anniversary V-E Day Lest We Forget — Map (db m138866) WM

27 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement