Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Woodville, Mississippi Historical Markers

 
503 Commercial Row Marker image, Touch for more information
By Cajun Scrambler, November 29, 2019
503 Commercial Row Marker
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — 503 Commercial Row — c. 1840
Once housed an 1842 saddle shop, an 1886 dry goods store, and an 1888 doctor's office. In 1920's local telephone office was upstairs. — Map (db m143450) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — 513 Commercial Row — c. 1840
Building best known for Sarphie's Jewelry Store opened in 1896 by watchmaker Joseph Sarphie. He sold early Woodville postcards. — Map (db m143870) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — 525 Commercial Row — c. 1900
A boarding house and a wholesale grocery once operated here. Next door was Gabe Kann's Store, razed in 1959, for a new post office. — Map (db m144002) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — 543-557 Commercial Row — c. 1830
Businesses that once operated here were a clock maker's, a beauty shop, a pool hall and a law office. Nearby stood Buckner's Tavern. — Map (db m143323) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Avenue of Magnolias
This Avenue of Magnolias is dedicated to Jefferson Davis President of the Confederacy by The Woodville Civic Club, Inc. and The Davis Family Association Rosemont Plantation Planted March 1979 — Map (db m137267)
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Beaumont House Site — c. 1860
Two-story brick building once here, owned by Henry Butterworth. Bought 1867 by Betty B. Beaumont for Beaumont Boarding House. — Map (db m143096) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Beth Israel Cemetery
Jewish community flourished in Woodville 1820-1920. Est. cemetery 1848. Synagogue built on Natchez St. 1878, rebuilt 1896, burned 1930’s. Jewish community enriched Town’s economic/artistic life. — Map (db m50908) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Beth Israel Synagague
In 1876, the Woodville Hebrew Education Association constructed a small frame synagogue on this site that later became the Beth Israel Congregation. Emanuel Rosenfelder served as the first rabbi. After a fire in 1896, the synagogue . . . — Map (db m130256) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Bramlette Law Office — c. 1880
Two-room law office built by attorney Capt. David Clay Bramlette and owned by three generations of his family. — Map (db m144000) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Branch Banking House — c. 1819
Originally branch of the Bank of the State of Mississppi and believed to be the oldest bank building in the state. Today houses the African-American Museum. — Map (db m130488) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Carnot Posey Home
Built c. 1845, and home of Carnot Posey, 1st Lieut., Miss. Rifles, Mexican War, and Confed. Brig-General. Wounded at Bristoe Station, Va., and d. Nov. 13, 1863. Buried Univ. of Virginia. — Map (db m93457) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Cohen House — Early 1800's
Built as a tavern and later enlarged into a home. Two-story brick kitchen dependency dated 1819. Cohen family lived here 1870-1945. Private — Map (db m143858) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — D'Aquila Service Station — 1946
Built by Milton D'Aquila and operated for many years with his brother, Carl. Station retains vintage look and 1940's features. — Map (db m143116) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Fort Adams
Twenty mi. west, called Davion's Rock by French. Loftus Heights by British. U.S. Fort, 1798, named for John Adams. "Man Without a Country," Phillip Nolan was once stationed here. — Map (db m93850) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Gustav Wettlin Building — 1900
Built by early businessman Wettlin, a native of Germany, for his mercantile business. Later divided into three separate sections. — Map (db m143328) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Isaac Hart House — c. 1890
Built by early Jewish businessman Isaac Hart, who settled here in 1864. House retains many original features, including mantels. Private — Map (db m143869) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Jacob Cohen Cottage — 1800's
Built by prominent Jewish businessman Jacob Cohen who lived next door. Cottage used for rentals, an office, later an antique shop. — Map (db m143731) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Lewis Family Cemetery — c. 1824
Col. John South Lewis gave land for the Methodist church to be built in 1824 and reserved this plot. Tall shaft marks his grave. — Map (db m130546) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Miller-Townsend Cottage — 1890's
Owned for many years by William J. Miller, county circuit clerk. House later extensively restored by Mr. and Mrs. Joe R. Townsend. Private — Map (db m144003) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Montfort House — c. 1930
Typical 1930's style bungalow built by Woodville dentist Dr. Woodson Wren Montfort. Still owned by his family. Private — Map (db m144018)
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Morgan Cottage — 1926
Built by "Mr. Will" Morgan for his mother, Mrs. Annie Morgan, and aunt, Miss Stella Morgan. Has original mantels and high ceilings. Private — Map (db m144016) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Morgan-Babers House — c. 1900
Turn-of-the-century house built by "Mr. Will" Morgan and his wife Emma. Later owned by their niece and nephew, Jane and Pete Babers. Private — Map (db m144017) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Old Bank of Woodville — 1900
Served as Bank of Woodville for 10 years, then as Commercial Bank until 1963. Originally had two front corner entrances. — Map (db m130490) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Old Chisholm Boarding House — c. 1840
Greek Revival residence, believed built by Connell family. Purchased in 1926 by Mrs. Josephine Hayes Chisholm and run by her. Private — Map (db m143803) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Old Christian Church Parsonage — c. 1875
In 1918, Mrs. Frances Johns Woodruff willed this house and its contents for use as church parsonage. It remained in use until 2005. Private — Map (db m130520) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Old Cumbo Variety Store — c. 1910
Originally built by Rosario Flaccomio as a small grocery, cafe, and shoe shop, the business was purchased in 1928 by David Cumbo. — Map (db m144032) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Old Woodville Hotel — c. 1840
Built as a one-story row of five stores, with a second floor added in the 1920's as a 15-room hotel. — Map (db m143449) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Planters Hardware Company — c. 1900
Originally established as Planters' Mercantile Co. Became Planters Hardware in 1947, under Frank Bell, until it was closed in 2010. — Map (db m143535) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Polk's Meat Market — c. 1900
Associated with prominent African-American citizen Jim Johnson, who operated meat market and owned 700-acre plantation. Died in 1932. — Map (db m143342) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Rabbi's Home — c. 1880
Queen Anne residence for Beth Israel Synagogue which stood on corner until 1920's. Noted for Menorah-like brackets on columns. Private — Map (db m130493) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Rosemont
Jefferson Davis' boyhood home. Built 1810, by father, Samuel Davis. First schooling in log cabin here. Jane Cook Davis, his mother, died here in 1845 and is buried here with others of family. — Map (db m96500) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Sam Rosso Building — c. 1900
Built by enterprising businessman Salvatore Rosso as a popular restaurant. His family later established a grocery and meat market here. — Map (db m143341) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Schloss-Rothschild Building — 1869
Mercantile structure built by Morris Rothschild. Later joined by Lee J. Schloss as business partner. — Map (db m143903) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — St. Paul's Church
Founded in 1823 by Jas. A. Fox. Oldest Episcopal structure (1824) in state & reputedly W. of Alleghenies. Organ installed 1827. Here in 1829 first Episcopal priest ordained in state, John P. Porter. Mother of Jefferson Davis a member. — Map (db m93479) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — The Little House — 1930's
One of three residences built side-by-side by Mrs. Eva McGraw and later owned by her daughter, Mrs. Thelma Allred Sessions. Private — Map (db m130545) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — The Woodville Republican
The Republican, established in 1823 by William A.A. Chisolm, is the oldest newspaper and business institution in continuous operation in Mississippi. Operated by Lewis family for over 100 years. — Map (db m94552) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Van Eaton House — c. 1820
Greek-Revival home begun in 1820, with later additions in 1840 and 1890. Judge Henry Van Eaten lived here 1866-1894. Private — Map (db m130548) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — West Feliciana Railroad
The West Feliciana Railroad line was built in this area between 1828 and 1842 to haul cotton from Woodville to the Bayou Sara Landing on the Mississippi River. The West Feliciana Railroad was the first line chartered in Mississippi, in 1831, and the . . . — Map (db m93718) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Wilkinson County Courthouse — 1903
Beaux Arts structure designed by Texas architect James Riely Gordon. Replaced 1829 two-story Federal building and an earlier structure. — Map (db m130439) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Wilkinson County Museum — c. 1834
Originally office and banking house of the West Feliciana Railroad. Today headquarters of Woodville Civic Club. — Map (db m143739) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Wilkinson County War Memorial
Erected by the citizens of Wilkinson County in honor of all those who served in World War I - II and dedicated to those who gave their lives that freedom might live This monument also honors those of the following wars . . . — Map (db m93333) WM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — William Grant Still
The dean of African-American composers and one of the greatest classical musicians in American history, Still was born near Woodville on May 11, 1895. In 1930, Still composed Afro-American Symphony, a blues-influenced work. Troubled Island was his . . . — Map (db m93502) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Woodruff-Tucker House — 1876
Greek Revival residence built by Milton Woodruff, later owned by Wm. Tucker family. Center hallway is 16 feet high with original molding. — Map (db m144019)
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Woodville
Chartered in 1811. Was Jefferson Davis' boyhood home. Gen. Poindexter lived here. West Feleciana R.R., begun by Edward McGehee in 1831. was first in state and second in Miss. Valley. — Map (db m93496) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — 94 — Woodville Blues
Musicians from Woodville demonstrate the breadth of the blues’s influence on American music. Composer William Grant Still incorporated the blues into his “Afro-American Symphony,” while the innovative saxophonist Lester . . . — Map (db m50907) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Woodville Presbyterian Church — 1893
Replaced original 1840 brick church that collapsed in 1891 after a severe storm. Congregation built present building on same site. — Map (db m130489) HM

90 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
May. 25, 2020