34 entries match your criteria.
Historical Markers and War Memorials in Ypsilanti
Ypsilanti, Michigan and Vicinity
▶ Washtenaw County (136) ▶ Jackson County (32) ▶ Lenawee County (58) ▶ Livingston County (30) ▶ Monroe County (66) ▶ Oakland County (288) ▶ Wayne County (309)
Touch name on list to highlight map location.
Touch blue arrow, or on map, to go there.
In honor of
our brave men
of the 107th Field Signal Battalion U. S. A.
which brigaded with the
rendered distinguished service at
Chateau Thierry, Soissons, Fismes.
Juvigny, and in the Argonne
and in memory . . . — — Map (db m160300) WM|
This lovely building has been many homes.
It was built in the Italianate style in 1860, as our nation's Civil War approached, for the family of bank president Asa Dow. It continued as a home for families until 1922. As apartments, it . . . — — Map (db m96994) HM|
|In the 1840s and 1850s, the community that grew up around the depot was known by the old-timers as the "East Side." A rivalry over business development in Ypsilanti between East side and the West side, the dividing line being the Huron River, was . . . — — Map (db m102374) HM|
|Founded by legislative action in 1849 as the Michigan State Normal School, it was the first state teacher education school west of Albany. Its aim was to provide instruction "in the art of teaching and in all the various branches that pertain to a . . . — — Map (db m91656) HM|
Something had to be done.
Constructed in 1898 and in service for over 75 years, this firehouse combined two separate volunteer fire companies into one centalized fire station. A paid department and a dedicated building represented a major . . . — — Map (db m98474) HM|
First City Hall
6 W. Cross Street
Placed By Ypsilanti Chapter
Daughters Of The American Revolution
July 4, 1976 — — Map (db m159750) HM|
|When the First Methodist Episcopal Church opened in June 1892, the Ypsilantian called it "an ornament to the city." The church typifies Akron Plan churches, popular among late nineteenth century Protestants. The Akron architectural firm of . . . — — Map (db m90905) HM|
|Originally built in 1857 with a single, central spire, the First Presbyterian Church was greatly enlarged and rededicated in 1899. Detroit architect Julius Hess redesigned the church, using the original sanctuary walls, and added a columned entrance . . . — — Map (db m90667) HM|
Along the road, a welcoming tradition.
The road was once called the Sauk Trail, the Military Chicago Road, Congress Road, and, eventually, Michigan Avenue. For travel by foot, horse, stagecoach, truck, or automobile, it has endured as a . . . — — Map (db m98488) HM|
| The building has stories to tell
It can tell about first being built as an electric plant before being converted to manufacturing in 1905. There are memories of 1916 when it became the first Dodge dealership outside Detroit, later becoming a . . . — — Map (db m94320) HM|
|This house, built prior to 1842 by Arden Ballard, has been recognized by the Historic American Building Survey as a model of Greek Revival architecture. The house was purchased by the Ladies' Literary Club in 1913. — — Map (db m90645) HM|
Manufacturing here spanned most of the 20th Century,
reflecting the changing economy in Ypsilanti and in America. In 1907 the Ypsilanti Hay Press Company first built a factory here by the Huron River and the railroad tracks to make . . . — — Map (db m98955) HM|
The early automotive industry came to Ypsilanti
just after World War I. In 1919, Apex Motor Corporation built a small factory on River Street just south of Michigan Avenue to manufacture various "Ace" vehicles. But by 1925 three . . . — — Map (db m98724) HM|
|The Michigan Central Railroad (MCRR) came to Ypsilanti in 1838, transforming the farming community into a transportation center. This Italianate structure, built in 1878, increased the freight-handling capacity of the MCRR's Ypsilanti complex. Goods . . . — — Map (db m98954) HM|
| The railroad came to Ypsilanti in 1838. The inaugural ride was truly a distinguished party that included the 19 year old "Boy Governor," Stevens T. Mason and John D. Pierce, the first State Superintendent of Education. Their arrival on a cold . . . — — Map (db m103371) HM|
| The triangular plot of land along River Street was originally called "Cass Plat" in honor of Governor Lewis Cass. It later became a children's playground.
The Ypsilanti Depot Gardens were the pride of the Central Railroad Line. Mr. John . . . — — Map (db m103347) HM|
|Michigan's first interurban, the Ypsilanti and Ann Arbor, began operating in 1890. Pulled by a steam engine, the cars went west on Packard Road to the Ann Arbor city limits. Because of the low fares (10 cents one way) and frequent service (cars . . . — — Map (db m90632) HM|
Henry Ford wasn't the first to harness the flowing Huron River.
In the 1880s, dams built along the river through Ypsilanti provided waterpower to mills processing paper, wool, lumber, and grain. In 1931, Ford bought property along the river . . . — — Map (db m98723) HM|
|In 1842 this site became Ypsilanti's second cemetery, and at one time approximately 250 people were buried here. However, when Highland Cemetery opened in 1864, the use of this site began to decline. Inspired by a nationwide parks movement, in 1891 . . . — — Map (db m101206) HM|
|This boulder marks the site of the house where Reverend John D. Pierce, founder of the public school system in Michigan, lived from 1867 to 1880. — — Map (db m96266) HM|
It's hard to count all the brands of automobiles
that were sold on the south side of Michigan Avenue. Right here, between the Huron River Bridge and Park Street, 17 auto dealers sold 31 different brands of cars and trucks during the 1900s. . . . — — Map (db m98722) HM|
When the Civil War began in 1861, this corner site housed a commercial building called the Norris Block. Its location across the street from the railroad station made it an ideal place for short-term lodging for enlistees . . . — — Map (db m101216) HM|
You can get hungry building B-24 bombers.
The Bomber Restaurant was first given its name in 1942 by Florence Bladwin [sic] Averill. The massive Ford B-24 bomber plant had just opened at nearby Willow Run Airport to supply aircraft . . . — — Map (db m98698) HM|
|The building, originally occupied by the Ypsilanti Electric Company in 1896, became a Dodge automobile dealership in 1917. Joseph H. Thompson was one of the first Dodge dealers in Michigan. In 1933 Hudson Sales and Services opened its doors, later . . . — — Map (db m94400) HM|
| Each day, many passenger trains stopped in Depot Town. Many hotels were built to accommodate the number of travelers stopping in the area. The building, known then as the Carr Hotel was built in the 1870s. It later became The Neat House, Lewis . . . — — Map (db m103293) HM|
| Among the many contributions to the Industrial Revolution few are more important than the lubricating cup, invented by Elijah McCoy. He was born in Canada, educated in Scotland and made Ypsilanti his home. As a fireman on the Michigan Central . . . — — Map (db m103321) HM|
|This building's history is one of the most fascinating in Depot Town. It was built with bricks brought from Mark Norris' Western Hotel which was previously destroyed by fire. The Thompson Building opened in 1861 just as the first shots of the Civil . . . — — Map (db m102411) HM|
|The Town Hall School built on the Geddes farm, carries with it a rich family and educational tradition. The first Geddes came to this area in 1824 and the family possesses the 1827 deed to the farm signed by President John Quincy Adams. In 1852, . . . — — Map (db m95367) HM|
Willow Run (1941-1953)
After entering World War II in 1941, America desperately needed military equipment and supplies. The Ford Motor Company had begun building this factory in April 1941. Outstanding industrial . . . — — Map (db m14296) HM|
Located at the juncture of old Indian trails and the Huron River, this area was the camping and burying ground for several Indian tribes. In 1809 Gabriel Godfroy established an Indian trading post on the west bank of the Huron . . . — — Map (db m90681) HM|
It was America's "first completely new car in fifty years"
and the vision in 1945 of Preston Tucker, who lived at 110 North Park Street in Ypsilanti. He was the general manager of his family's Ypsilanti Machine & Tool Company at 103 North . . . — — Map (db m98420) HM|
was presented by
Erected by the Women's
Relief Corps of Ypsilanti
in memory of the men who in
the War of the Great Rebellion
fought to uphold their
country's flag . . . — — Map (db m14142) HM|
The Ypsilanti Water Tower was designed by William R. Coats and constructed as part of an elaborate city waterworks project that began in 1889. Located on the highest point in Ypsilanti, the tower was completed in 1890. It is 147 . . . — — Map (db m95370) HM|
|In 1827, a sawmill was built on the Huron River just south of Forest Avenue. Later a grist mill was built on the site and finally in 1839, the Eagle Flouring Mill was constructed there. It burned in 1856.
In the early 1860s, the Ypsilanti . . . — — Map (db m102392) HM|