Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
16 entries match your criteria.
 
 

Historical Markers in West Nyack NY 10994

 
Marker at Clarkstown Reformed Church image, Touch for more information
By Bill Coughlin, July 5, 2011
Marker at Clarkstown Reformed Church
GEOGRAPHIC SORT
1New York (Rockland County), West Nyack — Clarkstown Reformed Church
Worship services in this hamlet were held as early as 1740 in a log meeting house at the old burial ground northwest of historic Pye’s Corner. The First Reformed Protestant Dutch Church was organized there in 1750. Initially services were in Dutch . . . Map (db m44204) HM
2New York (Rockland County), West Nyack — Clarksville
The Nyack Turnpike Toll Road c. 1825 crossed the Oblenis Farm here, creating a busy intersection knows as Oblenis Corners at Strawtown and Sickeltown roads. The first post office named Nyack Turnpike was established in the New Oblenis Store in 1834. . . . Map (db m21381) HM
3New York (Rockland County), West Nyack — Clarksville Inn
This historic inn built by Thomas Warner in 1840 was a stopping place for stage coaches and travelers to and from the Port of Nyack. It was a center of social life for more than a century and the scene of farewell balls for recruits during the Civil . . . Map (db m15351) HM
4New York (Rockland County), West Nyack — Colonial Clarkstown
Ancient Indian trails intersected at this place adjoining a large Indian village which extended to the Hackensack Creek. Early in the 18th century the De Clark family built a gristmill on these premises, scene of the last witchcraft trial in New . . . Map (db m44200) HM
5New York (Rockland County), West Nyack — Mount Moor Cemetery
This "Burying ground for Colored people", was deeded on July 7, 1849 by James Benson and Jane Benson, his wife, to William H. Moore, Stephen Samuels and Isaac Williams, trustees. The cemetery has provided burial space for colored people, including . . . Map (db m21378) HM
6New York (Rockland County), West Nyack — Old Clarkstown Reformed Church Cemetery
A Dutch meeting house and burial ground occupied this site ca. 1740. The First Reformed Protestant Dutch Church was organized here in 1750. A sandstone building replaced the old wooden structure in 1826. This cemetery, in use for almost two . . . Map (db m44201) HM
7New York (Rockland County), West Nyack — Pye's Corner
In 1798 Hendrick Van Orden, owner of a sandstone house on this site, sold the house and surrounding farm to Dr. Abraham Cornelison, who lived here 51 years. He became the first president of the Rockland County Medical Society in 1829. Isaac Pye . . . Map (db m26199) HM
8New York (Rockland County), West Nyack — Site of the First Reformed Protestant Dutch Church of New HempsteadErected   Oct. 1925
Site of the First Reformed Protestant Dutch Church of New Hempstead Organized                             Jan. 12, 1750 First consistory Chosen       Apr. 22 1750 First Stone Laid                    Jun. 11 1751 Dedicated                             . . . Map (db m44322) HM
9New York (Rockland County), West Nyack — Tallman-Budke House
This dwelling, constructed in multiple phases from ca. 1791 to ca. 1880, represents the distinctive tradition of sandstone vernacular domestic architecture of Dutch-settled Rockland County, NY and adjacent Bergen County, NJ. The first owners were . . . Map (db m125289) HM
10New York (Rockland County), West Nyack — The Nyack Turnpike
Dutch farmers first settled here early in the 18th century on land purchased from Indians who had occupied this region for millennia. Under mounting pressure for a cross-county road between the port of Nyack and Ramapo a turnpike was built. The . . . Map (db m15352) HM
11New York (Rockland County), West Nyack — The Old Parsonage
For almost a century the Clarkstown Reformed Church shared the services of its pastor with the church at Tappan. In 1834 a full-time pastor was called and this building, on a site across the road, was purchased for him. It was enlarged in 1835. . . . Map (db m26196) HM
12New York (Rockland County), West Nyack — Van Houten Fields
In 1937 Ralph Borsodi, author, economist and philosopher, organized a group for the purchase of this 106-acre Dutch farm to be divided into leased acreage plots. This became the largest self-administered, back-to-the-land community in Rockland . . . Map (db m44203) HM
13New York (Rockland County), West Nyack — Vanderbilt-Budke-Traphagen House
Pre-eminent Rockland County historian George H. Budke Jr. (1868-1948) grew up in this farmhouse. Situated on land originally owned by the Vanderbilt family, the house was expanded on multiple occasions and now largely represents the Colonial Revival . . . Map (db m125290) HM
14New York (Rockland County), West Nyack — Washington’s Encampment
This property on lot 13 in the 1727 division of the Kakiat Patent was part of the DeClark farm from which the name Clarkstown originated. In August 1780 General Washington and his troops encamped here on an ancient Indian village site. In 1880 the . . . Map (db m54842) HM
15New York (Rockland County), West Nyack — West Nyack World War I Memorial
In commemoration of the men in the World War who entered the armed service of their country during 1917 – 1918 from West Nyack, N.Y. Arthur R. Conklin • John Conklin • Leroy A. Crumley • Edmund L. Galvin • Melvin H. Green • Hans C. Gronager • . . . Map (db m44319) HM
16New York (Rockland County), West Nyack — West Nyack's Last Horse Trough
This trough was built at a time when horses provided the basic means of transporting people and their possessions in Rockland County. It was fed by an underground spring that provided clean water for any thirsty animal in the neighborhood. Using . . . Map (db m21379) HM
 
Sep. 21, 2021