Nathan Bedford Forrest attacked Col. Streight’s column as it crossed Locust’s swift waters, causing the Federals to make tremendous exertions to complete the movement, contributing thereby to Streight’s eventual surrender of his entire command to . . . — — Map (db m28320) HM
1820-1889 seat of Blount County a county older than the State.
Named for Tennessee Governor W. G. Blount who sent Andrew Jackson to aid Alabama settlers in Creek Indian War, 1812-1814.
Indian Chief Bear Meat lived here at crossing of . . . — — Map (db m28038) HM
1813: Colonel John Coffee and 800 Tennessee Volunteers see Bear Meat Cabin Cherokee Settlement near Blountsville
1816: Town settles around square
1820: Newly named Blountsville becomes county seat
1827: Town incorporated with Trustee System . . . — — Map (db m49176) HM
First minister assigned to Alabama Territory by Tennessee Conference. Preached first sermon two blocks west at Bear Meat Cabin (present Blountsville) April 18, 1818. He later organized churches in Shelby, St. Clair, Jefferson, Tuscaloosa and Cotaco . . . — — Map (db m27991) HM
Three prowling Union soldiers invaded home of sister-in-law of Celia and Winnie Mae Murphree taking food, drink; killing two colts.
When soldiers fell asleep, these two young girls took rifles, marched soldiers to headquarters of General . . . — — Map (db m83226) HM
While traveling south with his troops, General Andrew Jackson camped at the fork of the river in 1813. General Jackson carved his name in a locust tree naming this area Locust Fork. In 1817, the Hanby family came from Virginia and settled in this . . . — — Map (db m50125) HM
Planter, trader, historian, geologist, surveyor. Gathered authentic data from early settlers and Indians for his history of Blount County published in 1855. Made original survey of Blount County. — — Map (db m50123) HM
Antioch (an'~te~ok') was an ancient Biblical city and a chief center of early Christianity. Today, many churches and cemeteries throughout the United States use the name. Once called Glover's Graveyard, the earliest recorded burial is 1794. Antioch . . . — — Map (db m128071) HM
William M. Bailey (born 1859 in Cherokee Co.; died 1909 in Blount Co.) settled 40 acres on what became Co. Rd 36 to the west and New Home Church Rd to the east in 1893. He brought three small sons from Cherokee Co. after the death of his first wife . . . — — Map (db m42599) HM
Created Feb. 7, 1818 by Alabama Territorial Legislature from lands ceded by the Creek Indian Nation. Named for the Tennessee Governor W. G. Blount, who sent militia under Andrew Jackson to punish the Creeks for Fort Mims massacre. Jackson fought and . . . — — Map (db m24353) HM
John Hanby came in 1817 and found a rich seam of brown iron ore. Named Champion in 1882 when Henry DeBardeleben and James Sloss bought land and brought L&N Railroad causing county seat to be moved from Blountsville to Oneonta in 1889. Most ore was . . . — — Map (db m28362) HM
Starting in 1889, the Louisville and Nashville Railroad, also known as the Birmingham Mineral Railroad, began railroad freight and passenger
service to Oneonta with the completion of the rail line from Boyles Railroad Yard near Birmingham to the . . . — — Map (db m38894) HM
In 1864, traveling in an ox cart, Dr. Robert M. Moore left his family in Walton County, Georgia, and journeyed to Blount County, Alabama. Finding fertile land, he returned to Walton County and persuaded his wife to move to Blount County with him. In . . . — — Map (db m49251) HM