On County Road 388 at County Route 267, on the right when traveling west on County Road 388.
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid
As sheriff of Lincoln County, Pat Garrett was charged with tracking down and arresting Billy the Kid, a friend from Garrett's saloon keeping days in Fort Sumner, New Mexico. He was captured . . . — — Map (db m83262) HM
On Lafayette Street (U.S. 431) just south of Alabama Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
Chambers County, created December 18, 1832 from Creek Indian cession. Named for Dr. Henry C. Chambers of Madison County, member of Constitutional Convention 1819, legislature of 1820, elected U.S. Senator 1825 but died enroute to Washington.
. . . — — Map (db m18162) HM
On Lafayette Street (U.S. 431), on the right when traveling north.
In Memory of
Chambers Co. Veterans
Who Gave Their Lives
In Following Wars
World War II
Askew, Arthur L. Pvt. • Austin, George L. Jr. 1st Lt. • Baker, Edwin H. Sgt. • Bassett, Wilma M. Pvt. • Belcher, Guy E. PFC. • Bishop, Ulysses . . . — — Map (db m18163) WM
On Southeast Avenue A (County Route 50) 0.1 miles east of Southeast 3rd Street, on the right when traveling east.
LaFayette Cemetery, also known as Westview, began in 1934 with the death of Miss Sarah Gipson. Many early pioneers and veterans of East Alabama are buried here including Revolutionary War Patriot Capt. Alexander Dunn, Col. Charles McLemore, . . . — — Map (db m83263) HM
On 1st Street Southeast at 2nd Avenue Southeast, on the right when traveling north on 1st Street Southeast.
This structure was built by early settlers from Virginia, Tennessee, and the Carolinas, and subsequently modified. The original building has stood since 1836.
Union Sunday School begun here in 1891. Many eminent ministers have filled the . . . — — Map (db m83264) HM
On North Lanier Avenue at 1st Street, on the left when traveling north on North Lanier Avenue.
Known as Bluffton from about 1835-1893. Bluffton was incorporated in 1865. Name changed to Lanett, town of Lanett incorporated 1893. Its charter was approved in 1895. Early records mention academies, two near this site. The . . . — — Map (db m92061) HM
On State Line Road (County Route 212) 0.1 miles south of North State Line Road, on the right when traveling north.
A flourishing, ancient town of the Muscogee Indians known as Ocfuskooche Tallahassee (Old Town) stood on this site. English traders from Charles Town visited it about 1685. A trail known as "Old Horse Path" led from this village to the Tallapoosa. . . . — — Map (db m36315) HM
On Country Club Road 1.6 miles west of County Road 210, on the left when traveling west.
Providence Baptist Church was organized before 1836 by Elder Francis Calloway. It was one of the ten charter churches of the East Liberty Baptist Association. The small white frame church was built during the ministry of Reverend . . . — — Map (db m83265) HM
On Boulevard at Scott Street, on the right when traveling south on Boulevard.
Built 1916 by West Point Mfg. Co. and called Fairfax “Union” Church as it was shared by Disciples of Christ, Methodist, & Baptist groups. It was purchased by the Disciples of Christ after the others left to build their . . . — — Map (db m83266) HM
On Boulevard at Combs Street, on the right when traveling south on Boulevard.
Built in 1916, the kindergarten was one of five original public buildings in the Fairfax Mill Village. Each mill village had an efficient, attractive, and well kept kindergarten for children ages four to six. LaFayette Lanier, Sr. was the . . . — — Map (db m71634) HM
On Cherry Drive at North 13th Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Cherry Drive.
The school was located at three different sites on Cherry Drive. Its beginning was in The Blue Hall Building adjacent to Goodsell Methodist Church. Later it was moved to the Dallas/Jackson Home and became the Jackson Hill School. . . . — — Map (db m71638) HM
On 20th Avenue (U.S. 29) 0.1 miles north of 61st Street West, on the right when traveling east.
Cornerstones of Chattahoochee Mfg. Co., Langdale, Ala., and Alabama & Georgia Mfg. Co., River View, Ala., were laid on August 1, 1866. Mills used Chattahoochee River water power for operation of spindles and looms. Planters and businessmen of . . . — — Map (db m71637) HM