Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Chilton County Alabama Historical Markers

 
Chilton County Training School 1924-1969 Marker image, Touch for more information
By David J Gaines, March 4, 2012
Chilton County Training School 1924-1969 Marker
Alabama (Chilton County), Clanton — Chilton County Training School 1924-1969
The Chilton County Training School (CCTS) was the only facility in the county that provided a secondary education for black boys and girls until the mid-1960s. In 1924 black landowners donated five acres for the school to the Board of Education who . . . — Map (db m54656) HM
Alabama (Chilton County), Clanton — City of Clanton
Clanton, originally named Goose Pond, was founded in 1867 by Alfred Baker Sr. Goose Pond was renamed Clanton in honor of Confederate hero General James Holt Clanton. The city limits cover approximately 18 square miles. Clanton is located near the . . . — Map (db m54979) HM
Alabama (Chilton County), Clanton — Walnut Creek United Methodist Church Established 1820
Arthur Love, a charter member, was first pastor. Organized as a Methodist Episcopal Church. Became Methodist Protestant, 1828. Changed to Methodist Church, 1939. Affiliated with United Methodist, 1968. In the original church built of logs, Judge . . . — Map (db m83268) HM
Alabama (Chilton County), Maplesville — Maplesville United Methodist Church
This structure is an excellent example of the one-room Gothic Revival - style church buildings which once were built throughout the South. It was originally located on a three-acre site that was deeded to trustees W. A. D. Ramsey, G. W. Brand, and . . . — Map (db m37615) HM
Alabama (Chilton County), Marbury — Army Barracks for Enlisted Men
After the war broke out, wooden frame barracks were built by North and South at permanent installations such as forts, arsenals, coastal installations, and training camps. In winter, smaller barracks were constructed with available materials and man . . . — Map (db m129426) HM
Alabama (Chilton County), Marbury — Marbury Methodist Church c. 1893
A number of Soldiers' Home veterans were members of this church over the years. It originally had a second floor for Sunday School classes and a cupola on the roof. With the closing of the local lumber mill in 1910 the population of the town . . . — Map (db m129424) HM
Alabama (Chilton County), Marbury — Memorial Hall 1904 – 1924
On this site stood "Memorial Hall," the two story, log and shingle administrative and social center of the Alabama Confederate Soldiers' Home. Construction was partially financed by individuals from across the state who purchased "Memorial Logs" for . . . — Map (db m129410) HM
Alabama (Chilton County), Marbury — Memorial Hall Flagpole
This ship's mast flagpole is an aluminum replica of the original wooden Soldiers' Home flagpole which stood in front of Memorial Hall (approximately 25 yards southwest of this spot). High above [Memorial Hall] towered a long and graceful . . . — Map (db m129420) HM
Alabama (Chilton County), Marbury — Memorial Tree Planted February 12, 1928
Two cedar trees were planted and dedicated at the Alabama Confederate Soldiers' Home on February 12, 1928 in memory of Mrs. Sarah H. Bellinger and 1st Lt. Robert C. Norris. Mrs. Bellinger and her husband, Dr. Carnot Bellinger, established the . . . — Map (db m129412) HM
Alabama (Chilton County), Marbury — Monument to Jefferson Manly Falkner 1908
Alter the death of Jefferson Manly Falkner, Soldiers' Home founder in 1907, the Soldiers' Home Board of Control commissioned this obelisk in his honor. The monument was erected in 1908 under the northeast corner of the veranda of Memorial Hall. . . . — Map (db m129411) HM
Alabama (Chilton County), Marbury — Mountain Creek Post Office c. 1906 – 1975
This late nineteenth century building, originally Gray & Speer's store, was located less than a mile south near the South & North Railroad (later L&N and present day CSX). It was converted to a post office around 1906. Veterans from the Alabama . . . — Map (db m129333) HM
Alabama (Chilton County), Marbury — Steam Locomotive Bell c. 1905
This bell was salvaged from Frisco Railroad steam locomotive No. 734, built in 1905 and scrapped during the early 1950's. It was donated to Confederate Park by Alf Miller Israel Thompson in memory of Pvt. L. Israel, Co E, 19th Alabama Infantry . . . — Map (db m129335) HM
Alabama (Chilton County), Marbury — The Alabama Confederate Soldiers' Home 1902 – 1939
This is the site of Alabama's only Confederate veterans' home. The Alabama Confederate Soldiers' Home operated for 37 years as a haven for many of Alabama's destitute Confederate veterans and their wives or widows. Twenty two buildings once . . . — Map (db m129359) HM
Alabama (Chilton County), Marbury — Water Tank
The Alabama Confederate Soldiers' Home was a self-sufficient operation. Constructed in 1904 by the State of Alabama, the reservoir and pumping stations were part of an intricate system which replaced hand dug wells as the main source of fresh water. . . . — (db m130091) HM
Alabama (Chilton County), Marbury — Woven Wire Fence 1904
Completed in 1904, this is one of only three remaining sections of the original woven wire fence at the Soldiers' Home. During the latter half of the nineteenth century woven wire and barbed wire began to replace wooden rail fences. Woven . . . — Map (db m129332) HM
Alabama (Chilton County), Marbury — Woven Wire Fence 1904
Completed in 1904, this is one of only three remaining sections of the original woven wire fence at the Soldiers' Home. During the latter half of the nineteenth century woven wire and barbed wire began to replace wooden rail fences. Woven . . . — Map (db m129425) HM
Alabama (Chilton County), Stanton — Battle at Ebenezer Baptist Church
On April 1, 1865 near here the forces of Lt Gen Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA, engaged the forces of Maj Gen James H. Wilson, USA. The 17th Indiana Infantry Regiment, led by Lt Col Frank White, made a cavalry charge with sabers, resulting in hand to . . . — Map (db m133588) HM
Alabama (Chilton County), Stanton — Ebenezer Church April 1, 1865
Cavalry engagement here among fiercest of war. To defend arsenal at Selma Forrest (CSA) charged with 1500 into Wilson (USA) moving south with 7500. Forrest was seeking to delay Wilson pending arrival of . . . — Map (db m37617) HM
Alabama (Chilton County), Stanton — Memorial to Union Dead at Battle of Ebenezer Church
Memorial to Union Soldiers Lost at the Battle of Old Ebenezer Church April 1, 1865 — Map (db m129770) WM
Alabama (Chilton County), Thorsby — Scandinavian Cemetery
In 1896 Swedish settlers organized the Concordia Methodist Church and acquired this land for the Concordia Cemetery, later known as the Lutheran Cemetery. This is the former site of Strassburg School. In the 1980s it became known as the Scandinavian . . . — Map (db m83269) HM
Alabama (Chilton County), Thorsby — Thorsby Remembers Our Veterans
For the men and women of all branches of the military Thank you for your service God Bless you all — Map (db m73233) WM
Alabama (Chilton County), Thorsby — Thorsby: A Scandinavian Colony in the South
Side 1: Founded in 1895, the Town of Thorsby was the first planned community in Chilton County. The original settlers were people of Scandinavian origin seeking a favorable climate to locate for farming, fruit growing and better health. . . . — Map (db m73231) HM
Alabama (Chilton County), Verbena — Mitchell Dam
Named by the Board of Directors of Alabama Power Company to honor James Mitchell President 1912-1920 Major modifications to this project were completed in 1985. Three new generating units with a total capacity of 150,000 . . . — Map (db m72486) HM
Alabama (Chilton County), Verbena — Verbena, Alabama
The only community in the U.S. so designated, Verbena was named for the profuse wild flowers growing in the area. Settlers arrived in the area as early as 1832. Completion of the North-South Railroad and a train depot at Verbena in 1870 enabled . . . — Map (db m68286) HM

24 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement