Named for Revolutionary hero,
General Nathaniel Greene,
who drove British from Southeast.
Area explored by DeSoto, 1540.
Claimed as French Louisiana, 1699.
Ceded to England, 1763.
Ceded by Choctaw Nation, 1816.
Made a territorial . . . — — Map (db m37962) HM
Erected 1851, D.B. Anthony Contractor
Organized by Tuscaloosa Presbytery in 1824 as Mesopotamia Presbyterian Church.
John H. Gray first minister 1826-1836
Educational Building Erected 1959 — — Map (db m37953) HM
In 1838, Greene County citizens voted to change the town seat from Erie to Eutaw. The City of Eutaw, Alabama was incorporated as a town by an act of the State Legislature on January 2, 1841. Greene County had been named for General Nathaniel Greene. . . . — — Map (db m83752) HM
Organized “in the Prairie” south of Greensboro
in 1834 by the Rev. Caleb Ives, pioneer
missionary to the old Southwest.
Admitted to parish status in 1838 by the
Rt. Rev. Jackson Kemper, Provisional Bishop
of Alabama. First . . . — — Map (db m37969) HM
By appointment of Tuscaloosa Presbytery, November 18, 1848 Rev. J. L. Kirkpatrick and Rev. C. A. Stillman organized a Presbyterian Church at Pleasant Ridge, Alabama.
There were thirteen charter members. Services were held in a home near site of . . . — — Map (db m92649) HM