Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Hale County Alabama Historical Markers

 
Freetown Marker (Side B) image, Touch for more information
By Tim & Renda Carr, November 12, 2010
Freetown Marker (Side B)
Alabama (Hale County), Gallion — Freetown
On U.S. 80 2 miles east of State Highway 69, on the right when traveling east.
Side A In 1867 a group of African American men and women laid the foundations for Freetown. William, John, Albert, George, Richard, and Peter Collins; Susan and Lawrence Moore; Thomas Jeffries; the children of John Jeffries; and Louisa . . . — Map (db m38192) HM
Alabama (Hale County), Gallion — Oak Grove School
On Oak Grove Road 0.1 miles west of Alabama Route 69, on the right when traveling west.
Tuskegee educator Booker T. Washington and Julius Rosenwald, Sears, Roebuck & Company president, initiated one of the most ambitiuous school building programs for African Americans in the United States. The Oak Grove School is one example of the . . . — Map (db m83753) HM
Alabama (Hale County), Greensboro — Gayle - Tunstall House
On Main Street at Ward Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street.
Built in 1828-29 by John Gayle, sixth governor of Alabama. Birthplace of Amelia Gayle Gorgas, wife of Gen. Josiah Gorgas, Chief of Ordnance, CSA, mother of Wm. Crawford Gorgas, US Surgeon General who freed Canal Zone of yellow fever. . . . — Map (db m83754) HM
Alabama (Hale County), Greensboro — Greensboro Presbyterian Church
On Main Street at Demopolis Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street.
Organized 1823 by Rev. James Hillhouse of South Carolina, with Patrick Norris and William Hillhouse, veterans of American Revolution, as founding elders. Original wooden structure replaced by brick building in 1841 under pastorate . . . — Map (db m33746) HM
Alabama (Hale County), Greensboro — Magnolia Grove
On Hobson Street at Main Street, on the left when traveling north on Hobson Street.
Birthplace, ancestral home of Richard Pearson Hobson 1870-1937 Spanish - American War Hero Admiral Hobson, as naval officer, Statesman, lecturer and author, Urged national preparedness: Championed human welfare causes. Alabama made . . . — Map (db m83755) HM
Alabama (Hale County), Greensboro — Southern University
On State Street (State Highway 69) at Amory Street on State Street.
Merged in 1918 as part of Birmingham Southern College. Founded here in 1856 by Methodist Church. Weathered War and Reconstruction to prosper in late 1800’s. Moved to Birmingham in 1918 on merger with Birmingham College, founded in 1896 . . . — Map (db m83756) HM
Alabama (Hale County), Greensboro — St. Paul’s Episcopal Church
On Church Street at South Street, on the right when traveling south on Church Street.
This parish established 1830. Third oldest in Alabama diocese. Church consecrated in 1843 by Leonidas Polk, Bishop of Louisiana, (later a Confederate general). Here Nicholas H. Cobbs was chosen first Bishop of Alabama in 1844. . . . — Map (db m33747) HM
Alabama (Hale County), Moundville — Moundville
On Mound Parkway at State Highway 69, on the right when traveling west on Mound Parkway.
Site of a prehistoric Native American political and ceremonial center from about A. D. 1100-1500 that, at its height in the 13th century, was America’s largest community north of Mexico. Between 1,000 and 3,000 people lived in this town fortified by . . . — Map (db m30700) HM
Alabama (Hale County), Prairieville — Dr. Benjamin M. Duggar1872-1956
On County Road 12 west of State Highway 69, on the right when traveling west.
Discover of the antibiotic, Aureomycin Son of a beloved country doctor, he carried a dedicated spirit to the frontiers of science Having won degrees at Alabama, Auburn, Missouri, Harvard and Cornell, he taught at Cornell, Missouri, . . . — Map (db m38191) HM
Alabama (Hale County), Prairieville — St. Andrew’s Church(Episcopal) — Prairieville —
On County Road 12 west of State Highway 69, on the right when traveling west.
1834 - Organized as mission by Rev. Caleb S. Ives for settlers coming here to the Canebrake from Atlantic Seaboard 1844 - made parish of Diocese of Alabama 1851 - this site selected 1853-54 - this building erected — Map (db m38188) HM

10 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement