Vital Memphis-Charleston Railroad, "backbone of Confederacy", spanned Tennessee River here. Bridge burned several times, 1862-3.
Gen. Mitchell (US), occupying Huntsville after Battle of Shiloh, seized Bridgeport in April 1862 and held it . . . — — Map (db m83788) HM
(Front): Before the courthouse was completed, the community selected a location for a cemetery. The highest elevation in Bellefonte's corporate limits was chosen as the town's burial place. The earliest inscribed marker in Bellefonte Cemetery . . . — — Map (db m83790) HM
The small village of Coffeetown, located to the southeast of what is now Langston, was established in the 1810s. Coffeetown faded away in 1869 when most of its residents moved to Texas. It was then that James Morgan sold 15 acres in town lots and . . . — — Map (db m83791) HM
The History of Paint Rock, Alabama
Originally Camden circa 1830, the post office was renamed Redman in 1846 and became Paint Rock on May 17, 1860. After the Memphis and Charleston Railroad Co. built a depot and water . . . — — Map (db m69756) HM
In May 1838 soldiers, under the command of U.S. Army General Winfield Scott, began rounding up Cherokee Indians in this area who had refused to move to Indian Territory in Oklahoma. About 16,000 Cherokees were placed in stockades in . . . — — Map (db m18047) HM
Jackson County was created by the State Legislature on December 13, 1819 while in session in Huntsville, Ala. The county was named in honor of Gen. Andrew Jackson who was visiting in Huntsville at the time.
This Statue was presented by the . . . — — Map (db m22262) HM
Constructed in 1911-1912 and designed by architect Richard H. Hunt, the Jackson County Courthouse is a Neo-Classical, brick building situated on a town square in Scottsboro, the county seat of Jackson County. The front, . . . — — Map (db m22264) HM
In 1946, Robert E. Jones, Jr. was elected to serve in the U.S. House of Representatives to fill Alabama’s 5th Congressional District seat vacated by John J. Sparkman’s election to the U.S. Senate. Elected to 15 consecutive terms, 1946-1976, . . . — — Map (db m100042) HM
Planter, tavern operator, newspaper editor, legislator, and land developer, he sought in vain to have the Jackson County seat moved from Bellefont to the settlement that bore his name. After his death in 1863, his widow reached an agreement in 1868 . . . — — Map (db m22260) HM
The Memphis and Charleston Railroad Company constructed the Scottsboro Railroad Depot in 1860-1861 as a passenger and freight facility. The rail line ran throughout the Confederacy and the Union considered its capture vital to cutting off supplies . . . — — Map (db m22258) HM
In late December 1863, Union Maj. Gen. John A. Logan established his Fifteenth Army Corps headquarters in Scottsboro, Alabama. On January 11, 1864, by command of Gen. Logan, Brig. Gen. Hugh Ewing, commanding the Fourth Division, . . . — — Map (db m100044) HM
Section, Alabama is on a land where the Cherokee once hunted and lived. There were communities such as Kirby Creek, Gossets Hollow, and Fern Cliff. These communities came together to form the Town of Section. Pioneer settlers came in large . . . — — Map (db m79906) HM
During the Reconstruction Period following the Civil War, a freedmen’s community was established in this area called Averyville, named for the Pennsylvania minister and successful businessman Charles Avery, a longtime and faithful . . . — — Map (db m108803) HM
Side A One of the Five Lower Towns established by the Chickamauga Cherokees in 1782 under the leadership of Dragging Canoe. Territorial Governor William Blount reported to the Secretary of War in 1792 that: “Crow Town lies on the north . . . — — Map (db m28473) HM
Early on the morning of Wednesday, July 17, 1996
—hearts and minds overflowing with excitement for the journey—
five of our friends, neighbors and kinfolk,
left Stevenson, Alabama, bound for Paris, France.
That evening, at . . . — — Map (db m108799) HM
Constructed by the Union Army in the summer of 1862 and expanded in 1864, using soldiers and freed slaves, Ft. Harker was built on a broad hill a quarter mile east of town. It overlooked Crow Creek and was well within firing range of Stevenson's . . . — — Map (db m83795) HM
A one-story depot building was constructed here in 1853, when the railroad was first laid through Stevenson. That building burned after the Civil War and was replaced by the present brick depot and hotel in 1872.
During the Civil War, Stevenson . . . — — Map (db m22271) HM
Stevenson was a major supply station and staging ground for decisive campaigns and battles of the Civil War. This small house, called "The Little Brick," was alive with activity when General William S. Rosecrans relocated his command here on . . . — — Map (db m87983) HM
Alabama’s Winter Waterfowl
The Tennessee River Valley is the winter home for thousands of waterfowl. These birds migrate from across the northern US and Canada down through the center of the continent to the Tennessee River.
Careful . . . — — Map (db m106298) HM
Created by an Act of the Legislature on December 7, 1821, Decatur County was comprised of portions of Madison and Jackson Counties. "Old Woodville," two miles north along County Highway 7, was designated as the County Seat. An 1823-‘24 completed . . . — — Map (db m33314) HM