Approximately one-half mile north of this location is the birthplace of Hugh Pate Harris. He was born there on June 15, 1909. At a young age, Hugh and his family moved to Lawrence County, Tennessee. After graduating from . . . — — Map (db m69499) HM
Early settlers in Anderson date back to 1818 when James Anderson settled approximately a mile south of here. The earliest permanent settlement was located about one mile north of here on Anderson Creek around 1825 and was known . . . — — Map (db m133189) HM
Center Star was spelled Centre Star into the 1900s. The name evolved from the US Postal Service, which served remote areas by "star routes." The Post Office here, which existed from 1850 to 1914 (except between 1902 and 1913), . . . — — Map (db m82398) HM
Settlement of this area began in the early 1800s. Gabriel Butler settled approximately two miles northwest of here on Bluewater Creek. His name is found on the 1810 petition for removal of white settlers leasing land on Chief . . . — — Map (db m83934) HM
Jesse James Gang
Canal Payroll Robbery
In, 1881, approximately three miles south of here, the U.S. Corps of Engineers was constructing the Muscle Shoals Canal along the north side of the Tennessee River. On . . . — — Map (db m99897) HM
The notorious outlaw gang leader who boasted that no one would ever run over Tom Clark lies buried near the center of Tennessee Street where now all who pass by do run over him.
In 1872, Clark, who terrorized helpless citizens during the Civil . . . — — Map (db m80320) HM
This Hamilton-Standard 23E50-505 hydromatic propeller is from Douglas Aircraft C-47 transport plane known as the Gooney Bird.
The C-47s operated in both the European and Pacific theaters of W.W. II as troop and cargo transports, and initiated . . . — — Map (db m69659) HM
At this site where once stood Fort Willingham (Armory) the 115th Signal Battalion was organized December 1, 1940. Originally the 2nd Battalion, 151st Engineers, it was organized a number of times from 1940 to 1959 as its mission was changed to meet . . . — — Map (db m28562) HM
The 1,900 lb. HC (High Capacity) Mark 13 shore-bombardment projectile is fired from the Mark 7, 16” .50-caliber gun. The HC round can create a crater 50 wide and 20 deep. The 16” gun turret weights 1,708 tons. The barrel weighs 267,904 . . . — — Map (db m69660) HM
Lt. Chadwick McFall Barber proudly served his country with distinction and paid the ultimate sacrifice when he was killed in action January 8, 1969, in the Republic of Vietnam. This bronze statue captures his likeness. Ola McFall Barber, David . . . — — Map (db m35656) HM
This 75mm field gun is a modification of a French gun that was designed in 1917. The 75mm was the most effective light field gun in W.W. I. It was also used
against infantry, tanks, and other armored targets in W.W.II.
This gun is 17-3” . . . — — Map (db m83937) HM
In 2001, Aaron Green, a Taliesin Fellow and a member of the College of Fellows of the American Institute of Architects, was awarded the very first Gold Medal by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation. — — Map (db m109411) HM
The AGM-28 Hound Dog Missile was the United States first Air Launched Cruise Missile (ALCM). It was made to deliver W28, 4-megaton nuclear warheads. North
American Aviation was contracted in 1956 to build the protoype. The AGM-28 was put into . . . — — Map (db m69655) HM
Construction of this road, as ordered by General Andrew Jackson, began in May 1817 by troops of the U.S. Army for national defense purposes. Beginning near Nashville, Tennessee and continuing to Madison, Louisiana, it shortened the distance from . . . — — Map (db m80321) HM
About one mile west of here is the site of the Globe Cotton Factory which was erected on Cypress Creek in 1840. By 1857 its operations included three cotton mills, a flour mill, and two corn mills, all powered by the use of three dams. By 1860 the . . . — — Map (db m83938) HM
This is a T-3 (T-78) Experimental anti-tank gun. It fired a 76mm round of ammunition. Being a towed weapon
limited it to being used defensively, and its lack of mobility meant it could be easily outflanked. Towed anti-tank artillery disappeared . . . — — Map (db m69661) HM
Rev. Dr. Bennett W. Smith, as president of the Progressive National Baptist Convention, expanded the organization internationally. Active in Civil Rights in America and South Africa, he counseled President Bill Clinton on racial equality. — — Map (db m38645) HM
This school named Burrell Academy, formerly in Selma, Alabama, was given to Florence by the American Missionary Association. In 1903, Burrell Normal School opened and served African ~American students in grades 1-12. In 1937, the Florence City Board . . . — — Map (db m83940) HM
John A. Murrell, known as the "Great Western Land Pirate," was captured near this site in the winter of 1834. He was said to have killed over 400 people, including many kidnapped slaves. His arrest was brought about through the clever maneuvering of . . . — — Map (db m80322) HM
Educator and author Caroline Hentz was among the first female novelists in America. Her 13 volumes were some of the most popular in the U.S. during the mid-1800s, and her three dramas were produced in major cities. — — Map (db m29100) HM
Widely known and admired both for his success in business and for his philanthropy. Charles C. Anderson was one of only 12 individuals in the United States to receive the Horatio Alger Award in 2014. — — Map (db m99377) HM
Recipient of 1989 of the first Kodak Award for Photojournalism, Charles Moore chronicled such major events as the Civil Rights Movement in the 1960's South, political violence in Haiti, and the air war in Vietnam. — — Map (db m56376) HM
About 1800 Doublehead located his village at this site, where his brother-in-law Tahlonteeskee had previously lived. Doublehead's log house was built along the same style of those of the white settlers. Chief Doublehead had previously led raids . . . — — Map (db m83942) HM
Placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1997, this district contains 52 structures, most of which were built after 1900. Cherry Street was laid out in 1818 near the east boundary of Florence. Pulitzer Prize winner Thomas Sigismund . . . — — Map (db m28406) HM
About 1849, African-Americans began holding religious services in a brick cow shed overlooking the town spring near the site. It was purchased in 1857 by the local Methodists for this congregation, with Robin Lightfoot, a slave as its pastor. In . . . — — Map (db m45812) HM
Florence was surveyed for the Cypress Land Company in 1818 by Ferdinand Sannoner and named for the famous capital of Tuscany. The county seat of Lauderdale County, it was first incorporated in 1826. Located at the foot of Muscle Shoals, it became a . . . — — Map (db m35173) HM
Coffee High School opened at this site in the fall of 1917. Camilla Coffee donated the land in honor of her late husband, Capt. Alexander D. Coffee, son of Gen. John Coffee, a Founding Father of Florence. Because of her generosity, . . . — — Map (db m104643) HM
The land on which this district rests was part of the 1818 sale by the Cypress Land Company which established the City of Florence. During The Civil War Confederate soldiers constructed breastworks here for the defense of Florence. House . . . — — Map (db m35235) HM
This "double- pile cottage" is a rare Alabama example of Tidewater architecture that originated along the Southern seaboard during the colonial period. This house was built in 1833 by Thomas J. Crowe, proprietor of the early National Hotel in . . . — — Map (db m83962) HM
A cotton mill was established near this site in 1822. Although short~lived, it was the forerunner of other cotton and textile factories located in this area during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Cherry Cotton Mill began operations on nearby . . . — — Map (db m48600) HM
George Washington Foster, planter, built this Greek Revival Mansion. An Act of the legislature was required to close Court Street, In fall of 1864 it was headquarters of Nathan B. Forrest, General, CSA. Foster's daughter, Sarah Independence McDonald . . . — — Map (db m28868) HM
This park was donated to the people of Florence by Dr. Kirk R. and Lillian Cook Deibert who initially acquired this property in 1952. The acreage was once a part of a large ante-bellum plantation owned by Judge Sidney Cherry Posey. In 1875 his heirs . . . — — Map (db m33086) HM
One of only 141 American service men to receive the Medal of Honor during the Vietnam War, U.S. Army SP4 Don Leslie Michael Received this award posthumously, and his name appears in the Pentagon's Hall of Heroes. — — Map (db m38652) HM
Michael, Don Leslie
Rank and Organization:
Specialist Fourth class, U.S. Army, Company C, 4th Battalion, 503D Infantry, 173D Airborne Brigade.
Place and Date: Republic of Vietnam, 8 April, 1967. Entered service at: . . . — — Map (db m69640) HM
From the time Florence was established in 1818, a slow but steady growth occurred. In the late 1880s the town's population increased by 500 percent as an industrial boom began. This area became the core of the business district. Most of the . . . — — Map (db m35177) HM
Named President of the International Fertilizer Development Center in 1992, Dr. Amit Roy distinguished himself as a leader of a team to create sustainable agricultural productivity worldwide, alleviating hunger and ensuring food security. . . . — — Map (db m99379) HM
Dr. E. B. Norton was a member of the U.S. Education Mission sent to Japan after World War II to advise Gen. McArthur on the complete reorganization of the Japanese School System, which is still in place today. — — Map (db m29266) HM
This boulevard was named in honor of Dr. Leonard Jerry Hicks by the City of Florence in 1981. Dr. Hicks was a prominent Black leader of the community and was recognized for his skills as a physician across the State of Alabama. He was born September . . . — — Map (db m35257) HM
Dred Scott, whose name is associated with the landmark U.S. Supreme Court Dred Scott Decision of 1857, was born in Virginia between 1795~1809. In 1818 he was in Madison County, Alabama. He came to Florence with the Peter Blow family in 1820. About . . . — — Map (db m35183) HM
Dred Scott, a slave who served as the hostler in Peter Blow's Florence Hotel, waged a 14-year legal fight for freedom that resulted in the U.S. Supreme Court's Dred Scott Decision of 1857, a pivotal event in American history. — — Map (db m56375) HM
The Trail of Tears led groups of Cherokee up the Tennessee River here. The Cherokee are one of southeastern tribes who were relocated to Oklahoma due to the US Indian removal policy in the 1830s.
During removal, most Cherokee went by land, but . . . — — Map (db m107267) HM
The East Florence business area began in the industrial boom of the 1880s and 1890s and continued its development through the 1920s. Originally known as "Sweetwater", the small locally owned firms were established to serve the growing population . . . — — Map (db m35769) HM
Well-known throughout the nation and the world for his innovative work with rubber and vinyl, E. Stanley Robbins supplied rubber inner tubes, retread rubber and, later synthetic rubber for the Armed Forces in WW II. — — Map (db m38646) HM
Dr. Ellen D. Hoffleit, celebrated worldwide for her many contributions to astronomy, discovered more than 1,200 variable stars. She authored Yale Bright Star Catalogue which is used in almost every astronomical observatory in the world. . . . — — Map (db m99381) HM
With a fourth grade education, Ezra Culver employed his own innovative concrete process in major 20th century projects. His construction experience included work on Yankee Stadium, Lincoln Tunnel and the Florida Keys bridges. — — Map (db m29269) HM
On May 27, 1888, this church was established in the courthouse after a commencement sermon at the State Normal College delivered by the Rev. W. H. Smith. Its initial name was First Missionary Baptist, but in 1910 it became First Baptist. The . . . — — Map (db m83964) HM
First Muscle Shoals Canal
From the earliest attempts to navigate the Tennessee River, it was known that a formidable obstacle made the passage from one end to the other almost impossible. This barrier, caused by . . . — — Map (db m125572) HM
The Presbyterians organized the first church in Florence and purchased this property from the Cypress Land Company in 1818. A sanctuary was erected here in 1824. James L. Sloss, an early Alabama Territory missionary, was installed as the church's . . . — — Map (db m28955) HM
Established September 8, 1822 in a log house on the west side of town by Revs. John Cox and John Kerr. Cox and wife, Frances Langley had been affiliated with the Wesleys in England. Second meeting place was in Farmer's Cobbler Shop on West Mobile . . . — — Map (db m83966) HM
The "Mother Church" of the Presbytery, Florence Cumberland Colored Presbyterian Church originated in 1898 on property deeded by the city. Led, in 1918, by Rev. Holt Smith, it bought property on Alabama Street and built a frame structure. In 1948 . . . — — Map (db m83967) HM
When the city was surveyed this land described as "outside the city limits" was designated as the burying grounds for the new town. It contains the graves of early settlers, including a son and brother of Ferdinand Sannoner, Surveyor of Florence, . . . — — Map (db m83968) HM
Plans for the Florence Little League Baseball program for youth in ages ranging from eight to twelve years were completed in April 1951. These plans and the layout of this playing field were in accord with those developed by America's first Little . . . — — Map (db m83969) HM
teacher college south of Ohio R.
1830 ~ opened as LaGrange College
(Methodist) at nearby Leighton.
First charted college in state.
1855 ~ moved here and re~named
Florence Wesleyan University.
Flourished until . . . — — Map (db m83970) HM
Side A The Cypress Land Company reserved this block for educational purposes. In 1847 the Florence Female Academy, consisting of two buildings, was established. The Academy was soon in financial trouble. Despite a $20,000 contribution from . . . — — Map (db m83973) HM
Moved here from Atlanta in 1889, this industry made Florence a household word throughout the South. It was the largest wagon factory in the South, reportedly second largest in U.S. with 250 employees and annual production of 12,000 wagons. World War . . . — — Map (db m35772) HM
Side A The Forks of Cypress plantation was established in 1818 by James and Sarah Jackson. Its home, believed the design of William Nichols, was one of Alabama's great houses, featuring perhaps the earliest peristyle colonnades in America. . . . — — Map (db m83975) HM
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this tower of native stone was completed in 1890 as the foundation for a wrought- iron tank with a capacity of 280,000 gallons of water. It is 70 feet high and is located on the highest elevation . . . — — Map (db m35234) HM
The United States flag that flies at the base of this hill stands as a sentry over the site that was the home of Fort Willingham Armory from 1937-1979. The Armory was named after Dr. Henry J. Willingham, president of Florence State . . . — — Map (db m83987) HM
Lauderdale County was created b the Territorial Legislature in February 1818. On March 12, 1818, recognized as the Founding Day for Florence, Alabama the Articles of Association was signed by the seven trustees of the . . . — — Map (db m115156) HM
In 1947 Frank Achorn began his successful work as a chemical engineer in 45 states and 40 countries to feed the hungry of the world through increased crop yields. He later secured eight patents related to the fertilizer industry. — — Map (db m56373) HM
Following his tragic defeat at Franklin and Nashville, General John B. Hood managed to escape over the Tennessee River at Bainbridge Ferry, a few miles south of here on December 26, 1864. Two corps under General Benjamin Cheatham and Stephen D. Lee . . . — — Map (db m35258) HM
Hugh P. Harris became a four-star general in 1964, the 66th officer to receive this rank. A leader in the development of the airborne concept, he held such important post as Commanding General, U.S. Continental Army Commander. — — Map (db m71487) HM
Cavalry Commander under Andrew Jackson throughout War of 1812:
(Creek War, Pensacola, New Orleans).
Negotiated many treaties ceding Indian lands to U.S.
Made original surveys of Tennessee Valley. — — Map (db m35259) HM
The lion habitat is named in honor of George H. Carroll (1926-1998), a long-standing friend and supporter of the University of North Alabama (UNA). Mr. Carroll was the loving husband of Virginia Sego Carroll and father of Steven, Judy, and George . . . — — Map (db m35658) HM
Gilbert School, named in honor of Henry C. Gilbert, school superintendent 1892-1904 and long time member of Board of Education was built in 1920, costing $79,000. The structure was planned by George D. Waller, architect. A relief sculpture . . . — — Map (db m83988) HM
McVay (1766~1851), South Carolina native, built a three room log house at head of Cox's Creek about 1818. Community later called Mars Hill. He was a member of Mississippi Territorial Legislature, delegate to convention of 1819 which framed Alabama's . . . — — Map (db m35260) HM
The NFL Rookie of the Year (1954) and MVP (1955), Harlon Hill starred with the Chicago Bears. The Harlon Hill Trophy is presented annually to the NCAA Division II Football Player of the Year. — — Map (db m29268) HM
A keen observer and researcher of the Civil Rights Movement in the South, Hank Klibanoff won the Pulitzer Prize in 2007 for The Race Beat: The Press, the Civil Rights Struggle, and the Awakening of a Nation. — — Map (db m38643) HM
The home of Homer Givens, America's first hero in World War I was located .4 of a mile north of this intersection. Following a bloody two-hour battle on November 1, 1917 Corporal Givens stood alone after his comrades had fallen.
He then managed . . . — — Map (db m28163) HM
For unparalleled bravery on the battlefield in France during World War I, Corporal Homer Givens was awarded the Croix de Guerre by the French government which hailed him as the war's first American hero. — — Map (db m109412) HM
Built by Andrew Jackson, 1816~1820. Shortened by 200 miles the route from Nashville to New Orleans for movement of supply wagons and artillery.
Built with U.S. funds and troops.
Followed in part Doublehead's Road from Columbia, Tenn., to Muscle . . . — — Map (db m65290) HM
Often referred to as the most successful breeder of thoroughbred horses in America, James Jackson imported Glencoe and Leviathan to the U.S. in the early 1800's, leaving a permanent imprint on both the breed and American racing history. — — Map (db m38649) HM
Lawyer and statesman James T. Rapier, a son of free African-American parents in Florence, holds the distinction of being just the second African-American from Alabama to be elected, in 1873, to the U.S. Congress. — — Map (db m28887) HM
John Coffee was born in Prince Edward County, VA, in 1772, the son of Joshua and Elizabeth Graves Coffee. The family moved to NC in 1777. After his father died in 1798, Coffee and other family members moved to Davidson County, TN . . . — — Map (db m100248) HM WM
John McKinley (1780~1852), native of Virginia, prominent attorney, member of Cypress Land Company, built a large three story mansion near this site in 1820's which later burned. McKinley served in Alabama Legislature, U.S. Senate (1826~31); was . . . — — Map (db m28926) HM
For 21 years following the end of World War II, John Bulls served as Agricultural Extension Advisor for the U.S. State Dept. in India, Nigeria, Tunisia and Uganda, assisting farmers and organizing community development programs. — — Map (db m84025) HM
Named Associate Director of Marshall Space Flight Center in 2016, Jonathan Pettus was honored with the NASA Medal for Outstanding Leadership in 2005 and the Presidential Rank Award of Distinguished Executives in 2009. — — Map (db m111065) HM
Named for Alabama's first United States Supreme Court Justice, John McKinley made his home in Florence, Alabama from about 1821 to 1842. Born May 1, 1780 in Culpepper County, Virginia, he died July 19, 1852 and is buried in . . . — — Map (db m28930) HM
The Karsner-Kennedy House is significant because of its architectural characteristics. Benjamin F. Karsner (1800-1897) of Maryland married Sarah McCarter of Virginia in 1827. He was a prominent figure in Florence and at times he . . . — — Map (db m84026) HM
Starting his musical career in the 1950's, Kelso
Herston became a leader, playing guitar with
hundreds of performers, producing more than 50
recording artists, publishing 100+ hit songs and
creating more than 5,000 commercial jingles. — — Map (db m84027) HM
Built by Theophilus Brown Larimore and his wife, Esther Gresham Larimore, as a home and educational center. Near site of foundry and arsenal of War Between The States, it served as a school, 1871-1887, to train ministers and Christian workers of the . . . — — Map (db m35261) HM
A County Older Than the State
created Feb. 6, 1818
by Alabama Territorial Legislature (Alabama became a state in 1819).
Named for Col. James Lauderdale, cavalryman under Gen. John Coffee and Andrew Jackson, War of . . . — — Map (db m35185) HM
This F-4D Phantom is displayed in honor of Lt. Col. Edward Yeilding and all Veterans who served with the Phantom aircraft. Captain Ed Yeidings name is painted on the front canopy to honor his nine years flying Phantoms similar to this F-4D and . . . — — Map (db m84028) HM
On this site Nicholas Marcellus Hentz conducted a girls' school. Native of Metz, France, Hentz was a painter, entomologist, author, and was once a professor at University of North Alabama. Experimenting with silkworms, he planted groves of . . . — — Map (db m84029) HM
Christians first met here in a log building which also served as a schoolhouse. In 1909 a frame building was constructed. Because of a single cedar tree in prominent view, it was given the name Lone Cedar by Wilbert M (Will) Behel, an early . . . — — Map (db m35231) HM
After flying more than 90 worldwide reconnaissance missions, in 1990 Lt. Col. Ed Yeilding set a coast to coast aircraft speed record of 67 minutes 54 seconds flying an SR-71 spy plane, which is now at the Smithsonian. — — Map (db m84030) HM
Devoting her career to reducing childbirth
mortality among women and newborns across
the world, Lynn Sibley developed a 21st century
community-based model for maternal
and newborn health in low-resource countries. — — Map (db m84031) HM
Tracing its roots to the early 1800's, The Macedonia Baptist Church originally met in homes with Joseph Fanning, visiting evangelist. In 1834, J.W. Smith supervised a building on this site. In 1880, T.B. Larimore, an evangelist among Churches of . . . — — Map (db m84032) HM
In 1891, G.W. Goethals, in his role as supervisor of public works on the Tennessee River, reported directly to the Secretary of War. Later, he was Chief Engineer for the construction of the Panama Canal. — — Map (db m29099) HM
The great engineering genius of the Panama Canal lived at this site from 1888 until 1907.
As a young lieutenant, Gothals was sent to Florence to speed up the work on the Muscle Shoals Canal Project which effectively by~passed the serious river . . . — — Map (db m84033) HM
Born in Tuscumbia, Lived in Sheffield Daughter of Robert Burns Lindsay, Governor of Alabama 1870.
Teacher of Alabama's first kindergarten - 1898.
Ranks as one of the greatest kindergarten teachers in the world. Author of 14 books for children. . . . — — Map (db m84041) HM
This bottom land serves as a reservoir for TVA's flood control program.
Florence leases it for recreational purposes when not being used by TVA.
Major Robert McFarland, a native of Ireland, his wife, Kate Armstead McFarland, and their seven . . . — — Map (db m28453) HM
Winner of international awards such as the 1982 Wildlife Photographer of the Year through the Overseas Press Club, Michael Nichols was named Photography Editor-at-Large for National Geographic Magazine in 2008. — — Map (db m99375) HM
Representing the Secretary of Defense at the Strategic Arms Reduction Talks in the 1980's, Michael Mobbs was a leader in negotiations between the U.S. and the U.S.S.R., resulting in the most complex arms control treaty in history. — — Map (db m38644) HM
Beginning in the year 2000, the Cooper-Hewitt Design Museum in New York and the National Textile Museum in Washington, among others have honored the fabric and clothing designs of internationally known Natalie Chanin. — — Map (db m99376) HM
In 1928, Oscar S. DePriest, son of former slaves, became the first 20th Century African-American Congressman from the north. He is credited with the Anti-discrimination Amendment to the 1933 Civilian Conservation Corps Bill. — — Map (db m99374) HM
First school in Florence Public school system built 1890 on land given by Governor Robert M. Patton. It was occupied in 1891. Designed originally to serve all white elementary school children of Florence. Usually served six grades divided into nine . . . — — Map (db m84042) HM
Side 1 Following an outbreak of the dreaded plague, smallpox (Variola), at Florence during the winter of 1865-66, the Board of Alderman adopted a resolution on January 2, 1866, that a Pesthouse be “erected at the vineyard as soon as . . . — — Map (db m84043) HM
Pope's Tavern Museum is housed in a building that dates back to the early 1800s. According to legend Christopher Cheatham built and operated a tavern on this site for Leroy Pope in 1811. This was seven years before the founding of Florence in 1818. . . . — — Map (db m66764) HM WM
This is the highest domiciliary mound in the Tennessee Valley. It was probably built between 100 B.C. and 400 A.D. by a prehistoric people of the ancient Woodland Culture. Such mounds served as bases for ceremonial temples or chief's houses. This . . . — — Map (db m28457) HM
Side A This area near the mouth of Cypress Creek was inhabited by Archaic People as early as 8,000 B.C. Their main food consisted of freshwater mollusks from the river.
(These mussels were the origin of the name "Muscle Shoals.")
The . . . — — Map (db m84044) HM
Commander of the Hawk, the fastest U.S. ship in the Spanish-American War, Rear Admiral John M. Hood then commanded the Fourth Division of the Atlantic Fleet in World War I. The USS John Hood (DD-655) was named for him.
Inducted . . . — — Map (db m99380) HM
In 1976, Fran McKee became the first woman line officer promoted to Rear Admiral in the U.S. Navy. A wide range of opportunities for women in the Navy is a result of her personal example and her work on the Navy's Equal Rights Committee. — — Map (db m38648) HM
This building which was completed in 1983 is an accurate replica of the local historical mansion known as The Forks of Cypress. The original mansion, completed in 1822 by James and Sarah Jackson on a knoll five miles from Florence Alabama, was . . . — — Map (db m29253) HM
In his 14 years in the U.S. House of Representatives (1977-1991), Ronnie Flippo held such important posts as the chairmanship of the Space Science Subcommittee during the development of the space shuttle, Columbia. — — Map (db m84045) HM
In early 1840s about 14 African-American members from First Methodist formed own congregation “Church Springs” near South Court Street. In 1857, a nearby brick cow shed was converted for its use under Rev. Robin Lightfoot who became a . . . — — Map (db m84050) HM
Known as the "Father of Rock and Roll,"
Sam Phillips established Sun Records in 1952, helping Elvis Presley and other well-known artists launch their careers. He received a Grammy for Lifetime Achievement in music. — — Map (db m84046) HM
Named for Ferdinand Sannoner, who surveyed the town of Florence for the Cypress Land Company in 1818, the district contains twenty-five structures on North Court and North Pine Streets. Wealthy planters, lawyers and merchants occupied the six fine . . . — — Map (db m84047) HM
Built in 1826 in the Spanish Revival architectural style, this is the first structure in Florence erected with a steel skeleton supporting the floors, walls and roof. The framework is strong enough to support two more stories than were actually . . . — — Map (db m35176) HM
This sculpture relief was created by James W. Stoves and placed above the entrance to Gilbert Elementary School in 1921. In 1980, following the demolition of Gilbert school, it was moved to Hibbett Middle School. Because of its theme which relates . . . — — Map (db m84048) HM
Named for the ONeal family which produced two Alabama governors and for seminary, the street on which the Synodical Female College was located, the Seminary-ONeal Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1995. . . . — — Map (db m84049) HM
Built by John Simpson in 1843, on the site of his earlier home, this residence was occupied at various times by both armies during the Civil War. Purchased in 1867 by George W. Foster, builder of Courtview, for his daughter, Virginia, and her . . . — — Map (db m45808) HM
This area is the military cemetery for Confederate Soldiers. After an 1862 skirmish in the streets of Florence, it was used to bury casualties until the end of the Civil War. Many unknown Confederates and a few unknown Union soldiers rest here. . . . — — Map (db m28402) HM
Charles Morton Southall (1864-1952) constructed this Commercial Italianate style building in 1900 of the finest materials for his wholesale/retail drug business. The elegant interior by Charles Hester, New York City, contained the area's first . . . — — Map (db m35175) HM
St. Mark Baptist Church is the oldest Missionary Baptist Church in Florence, Alabama. In 1859, a group of Christians began worshipping in a brush arbor on this site. John A. Rorttock, Trustee for colored members of the Missionary Baptist Church, . . . — — Map (db m99898) HM
Winner of both national and international golfing championships, in 2009 Stewart Clink became the first native Alabamian to claim the coveted claret jug as the champion of the British Open in Turnberry, Scotland. — — Map (db m56374) HM
Home of Major John Brahan, veteran War of 1812.
Major General, Alabama Militia, who owned 4,000 acres here. Built of bricks made on the place, marble mantels imported from Italy, boxwood hedge from London. Named for spring nearby.
Federal and . . . — — Map (db m28404) HM
The M50 Honest John was the U.S. Armys first nuclear-armed surface-to-surface rocket. It was an unguided 762mm artillery rocket, powered by an M6 solid-fuel rocket engine.
The Honest John was developed at Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, . . . — — Map (db m69656) HM
Side A The American Legion, an organization of U.S. War Veterans was founded in Paris, France, March 15~17, 1919 by delegates from combat and service units of the American Expeditionary Force assembled in response to a call by a committee . . . — — Map (db m35220) HM
The AH-1 Cobra is an anti-armor close support/attack helicopter. The Cobra is powered by a General Electric T-700-GE-401 turboshaft engine. The Cobra is 58 long,
has a wingspan of 10-7”, and is 14-2” in height. The AH-1 flies at 175 . . . — — Map (db m69648) HM
Sam Phillips fell in love with the miracle of sound and the unifying power of music. Moving to Memphis, Tennessee, he embraced the beauty of the blues with his early recordings of Howlin Wolf, B.B. King and other delta artists. In . . . — — Map (db m29270) HM
The congregation first met in home of Mrs. Betsy Key. Organized as "Fairgrounds Church" in 1896 at nearby site of early Florence Racetrack and Fairgrounds, with Andy Sloss as pastor. Later, the church was moved to Irvine Avenue (formerly Fish-Trap . . . — — Map (db m56355) HM
The Hawk Missile was the first mobile medium-range, guided, anti-aircraft missile deployed by the U.S. Army in August 1959. The Hawk is a surface-to-air missile powered by a solid-propellant rocket motor and controlled in flight by its large tail . . . — — Map (db m69652) HM
Erected by the citizens of Florence in honor of the men and women from Lauderdale County who served this nation during the Korean War.
In memory of the following patriots from Lauderdale County whom made the supreme sacrifice for this nation . . . — — Map (db m71483) WM
The F-4 Phantom was the U.S. Air Forces fastest, highest-flying and longest-range fighter. It first flew May 27, 1958, and entered United States Air Force service in 1963. It was named Phantom II on July 3, 1959, during a . . . — — Map (db m69636) HM
The Rolling Stones in the Shoals in 1969
The Rolling Stones stayed at the Florence Holiday Inn on this site for several nights while recording at the Muscle Shoals Sound Studio in Sheffield.
When a hired engineer . . . — — Map (db m79565) HM
The University of North Alabama became the first school in the history of NCAA scholarship football to win three consecutive national championships (1993, 1994, and 1995). Under Coach Bobby Wallace, UNA posted a 41~1 record over the same three ~ . . . — — Map (db m32765) HM
In 1934, T.S. Stribling won the Pulitzer Prize for The Store, part of a trilogy set in Florence. His story "Birthright" was produced in Hollywood as a silent movie and, later, with sound. — — Map (db m29102) HM
Episcopal services in Florence began in 1824. Rev. Thomas Armstrong Cook organized Trinity Episcopal Church in 1836. The original building, on the northwest corner of College and Cedar Streets, was consecrated Feb. 23, 1845, by Bishop Nicholas . . . — — Map (db m35230) HM
In the late 1960s, Point Park was developed by the City of Florence on this 82-acre site, leased from TVA, for outdoor recreation. It was the first multi-use sport complex in the State of Alabama. In the early 1970s, plans were developed for a . . . — — Map (db m74407) HM
The following men from Lauderdale County made the supreme sacrifice for our Nation during the War with Vietnam:
Jimmy Rex Ball
Chadwick McFall Barber
Howard Wayne Bramlett, Jr.
Paul O'Neal Brown
Edward Lee Brock
Roger Jerrell . . . — — Map (db m69642) WM
William Christopher Handy, widely honored as the “Father of the Blues,” was born in this house on November 16, 1873. In his autobiography, Handy traced the key events in his discovery of the blues back to his time in . . . — — Map (db m90306) HM
This anchor was used on the fleet Submarine U.S.S. Balao (SS-285). The Balao was commissioned in February 1943.
She received 9 battle stars for sinking 7 Japanese ships during her W.W. II service. The Balao was decommissioned in June 1963. . . . — — Map (db m69658) HM
Walnut Street began as a residential area in the national economic boom of the 1880s and 1890s and continued its development through the 1920s. Industries and businesses grew in Florence, the population of the city increased, and business and . . . — — Map (db m84158) HM
This Twentieth century business and residential area was developed by John D. Weeden Jr. during the building of Wilson Dam and the World War I Defense Plants. Weeden Heights was carved from 3,800-acre Sweetwater Plantation, the former home of his . . . — — Map (db m35632) HM
Church organized in 1819; First Cemetery Burial in 1819. One of the earliest Methodist Congregations in the area, this church was organized by local preacher, Rev. Alexander Faires, in a log school built in 1816. Land donated in 1818 for church and . . . — — Map (db m56354) HM
The Wesleyan Bell was manufactured by the C.S. Bell Company in Hillsboro, Ohio, it is made of alloy steel, has a diameter of 38 inches, and is 24 inches high (not including its yoke). The weight of the bell is 660 pounds. When 350- pounds mountings . . . — — Map (db m28881) HM
Chartered 1856 as Florence Wesleyan University, R.H. Rivers, President. Regarded as North Alabama's most eminent landmark, this Gothic Revival Structure was designed by Adolphus Heiman, Nashville, And built by Zebulon Pike Morrison, Florence, as new . . . — — Map (db m28864) HM
Prior to the repeal of the Militia Act in 1902, states maintained their own militia. One of the last militia in Florence and Lauderdale County was the Wheeler Rifles.
Organized in 1888, under the command of Captain Julian Fields, it was named for . . . — — Map (db m32774) HM
The Council of Fashion Designers of America
recognized Billy Reid as the Best New Menswear
Designer in 2001, followed by the Gentleman's
Quarterly, the Vogue Fashion Fund and the Best
Menswear Designer Awards. — — Map (db m71486) HM
Born in Florence in 1873, W.C. Handy wrote some of the country's most recognizable blues music such as the "St. Louis Blues." He became internationally known as the "Father of the Blues." — — Map (db m28890) HM
William Christopher Handy was born on November 16, 1873, in this two-room log cabin, which was located approximately one-half mile north of this site. In 1954, the cabin was dismantled, placed in storage, and restored to its . . . — — Map (db m90292) HM
Buddy Killen earned international renown as a music publisher, songwriter, record producer and recording artist. He help launch the careers of a host of well-known musicians during the last half of the 20th century. — — Map (db m28905) HM
Construction of Wilson Dam began in 1918 and was completed in 1924. The Dam is 137 feet high and stretches 4,541 feet across the Tennessee River.
Wilson Dam is a hydroelectric facility. It has 21 generating units with a net dependable capacity . . . — — Map (db m73997) HM
In 1818 three Wilson brothers John, Matthew and Samuel, came from Virginia to purchase large farms in this area. The plantations of John and Matthew joined near this cemetery. All three brothers and their families are buried here. . . . — — Map (db m28160) HM
In 1886 a group of Christians began meeting in the home of Susan Thrasher on the northeast corner of Court and Tuscaloosa Streets. For the next four years the group assembled in various rented places until it obtained its own building.
The move . . . — — Map (db m84159) HM
A Residential neighborhood primarily developed between 1880 and 1930.
The district contains elaborate Queen Anne, classic Georgian Revival and the more modest Bungalow styles of architecture as well as two homes of the Plantation Cotton style . . . — — Map (db m84160) HM
This park, first designated as a Public Walk, was laid out as part of the original plans of Florence in 1818. On February 20, 1924, the Board of City Commissioners officially changed its name from City Park to Woodrow Wilson Park in honor of the . . . — — Map (db m35665) HM
Dedicated to the following heroes who sacrificed their lives in the defense of our Nation during World War I.
Adams, Jesse Agnew, Jesse Alexander, John C. Brewer, William Calvin Burks, Tommie Couch, William A. William M Creasy Crunk, . . . — — Map (db m69641) WM
On February 20, 1919, a row of memorial trees was planted along the east side of what was then Seminary Street (now Harrison Entrance) on city property fronting two new State Normal School dormitories. These trees were planted in honor of the men of . . . — — Map (db m35643) HM
Side 1 A-D
Dedicated to the memory of the 129 men from Lauderdale County (listed on these four panels) who sacrificed their lives in the defense of our Nation during World War II:
Robert F. Adams
Aubrey H. Alexander
Lee Eddy . . . — — Map (db m71482) WM
This is one of the earliest community burial grounds in Lauderdale County. The oldest dated gravestone is for Catherine Hill, first wife of Green Berry Hill, for whom the community is named. She died on June 8, 1825. George Kennedy deeded five acres . . . — — Map (db m68061) HM
In Memory of Our loved ones who were our heroes in the World's War of
Soldier Rest Thy Work is Done.
Clyde Wilcoxson — — Map (db m48182) HM
Daniel White, native of North Carolina, purchased land here in 1818, a year before Alabama became a state. His home and stagecoach stop, "Wayside Inn" was a large two~ story log house located on the North side of the highway from this site. In 1834 . . . — — Map (db m29170) HM
Approximately 1.5 miles north of here, across Bluewater Creek near CR76, is the location of an early settlement known as Mitchell Town named for the Mitchells who settled there. In 1833, Samuel Herston owned land in the area which . . . — — Map (db m90837) HM
Lock Six, headquarters of Muscle Shoals Canal, was located 1.3 miles south of here. An 1836 attempt to build a bypass canal around the shoals proved unsuccessful. On November 10, 1890 the canal from Rogersville to Florence was successfully . . . — — Map (db m28452) HM
[Side 1:] The area known as Killen in Lauderdale County, was settled in the early 1800s. In 1826, Joseph Mason was appointed the first postmaster of the new community called Masonville, later to become Killen. The post office existed . . . — — Map (db m35169) HM
Established in 1894 as New Salem Presbyterian Church. Originally affiliated with the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, the first recorded meeting was held 1897, William White, Pastor.
The Church became affiliated with Presbyterian U.S.A. in 1907. . . . — — Map (db m86305) HM
This site, one mile east of Elgin, has been referred to as “The Indian Mound.” There were white landowners here as early as 1833. Prior to 1936, there was a . . . — — Map (db m79914) HM
At this location is the Elk River that flows into the Tennessee River approximately four miles south of here. That location is the easternmost point of a massive underwater formation which was exposed until the early 1900s. The . . . — — Map (db m133187) HM
"Trusted, honored, and loved by the people of Alabama for his splendid character and distinguished service as a citizen and soldier." Born September 10, 1836, in Augusta, Georgia, Joseph Wheeler graduated from West Point in 1859, . . . — — Map (db m84295) HM WM
The settlement of what is now eastern Lauderdale County (known as "Over Elk)" by non-Native Americans commenced by 1807.
Federal land sales were held in Huntsville during the spring of 1818.
Although much of the land was described . . . — — Map (db m84296) HM
From about 1775 until his death on August 9, 1807, Chickamauga Cherokee Chief Doublehead controlled the Muscle Shoals of the Tennessee River. Two major Indian trails, Sipsie Trail and an east-west trail, intersected in the . . . — — Map (db m99972) HM
Prior to 1912, a private school, Rogersville High School, was housed in a two-story wooden frame building located in this vicinity. On August 7, 1907, an act was passed by the Alabama Legislature to establish a state high school in . . . — — Map (db m84297) HM
When the Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources began a Bald Eagle Restoration Project in 1984, Bald Eagles had not successfully nested in Alabama since 1949. Thanks to these restoration efforts, Bald Eagle populations increased . . . — — Map (db m107997) HM
The earliest place of worship in Rogersville was a brush arbor located approximately 200 yards west of this historic location in what is now the old Liberty Cemetery. A building in which several faiths worshipped was later . . . — — Map (db m84298) HM
Samuel Burney: 1763-1849
Revolutionary War Veteran
Samuel Burney, Sr., was born on January 30, 1763, in Guilford Co., NC. He was among 17 known Revolutionary War veterans to settle in the area that became Lauderdale . . . — — Map (db m84299) HM
Springfield Community 1810
Springfield Community is believed to have been among the earliest settlements in Lauderdale County. It was laid out as a town and considered as the location for the county seat. As early as 1810, . . . — — Map (db m100604) HM
Wheeler Dam is located south of here on the Tennessee River, between Lauderdale County on the north and Lawrence County on the south. It is located 275 miles above the mouth of the Tennessee River at Paducah, Ky. on the Ohio River. . . . — — Map (db m105132) HM
Nature Preserve and Recreation Area
This tract was protected through the efforts of the Alabama's Forever Wild Land Trust,
The Alabama Lands of The Department of Conservation and Natural Resources with assistance of the Lauderdale County . . . — — Map (db m106468) HM
In 1872, Father A. J. Houser, Director of the Homestead Society of Cincinnati, Ohio founded St. Florian. He subdivided the land for German immigrants who became independent landowners, built homes and reared their families. Many of the descendants . . . — — Map (db m35263) HM
In 1872, Catholics of German ancestry settled on the former Wilson Plantation and established the town of St. Florian. St. Michael's Church was built south of the road, moved to the present site in 1878, and replaced with the present building in . . . — — Map (db m84300) HM
When the Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources began a Bald Eagle Restoration Project in 1984, Bald Eagles had not successfully nested in Alabama since 1949. Thanks to these restoration efforts, Bald Eagle populations increased . . . — — Map (db m105709) HM
The Newman House was restored and presented in 1995 to the citizens of Waterloo by Ezra Lee Culver, as a memorial to his wife, Edith Elizabeth Newman Culver.
Built in 1872 by Hiram L. and Julia Ann Young Richardson. This house was purchased in . . . — — Map (db m29276) HM
Birds Come From All Directions to Enjoy the Tasty Treats Hidden Beneath the Mud
In the late summer. fall, and winter, reservoir levels in the Tennessee River Valley drop drastically to expose areas of mudflats. although unsightly to some, theses . . . — — Map (db m105713) HM
Rock Spring Nature Trail offers you an opportunity to explore a small natural spring as it bubbles forth from the ground. Small fish dart about a deep pool created as the stream wandered through rich bottomland soil and limestone rock. Vegetation . . . — — Map (db m84703) HM
Few birds are as distinctive and charismatic as hummingbirds. From their iridescent plumage to their incredible aerial antics, hummingbirds are an irresistible attraction at Rock Springs. Each fall, hundreds of Ruby-throated Hummingbirds pass this . . . — — Map (db m84702)
Thousands of Cherokee Indians passed through Waterloo in the 1830s when they were forced by the U.S. government to move West on the "Trail of Tears". Most came by boat from Tuscumbia and camped here to await transfer to larger steamboats. During the . . . — — Map (db m84301) HM
One of Alabama's oldest incorporated towns. Waterloo was an important Tennessee river port during the steamboat era. In low~water season after large boats from Louisville, Cincinnati and other places downriver unloaded here: smaller craft . . . — — Map (db m84302) HM
At this site from mid-January to mid-March 1865, Maj. Gen. James Harrison Wilson, U.S. Army, assembled the largest cavalry force ever massed in the western hemisphere. Five divisions totaling 22,000 camped from Gravelly Springs westward to Waterloo. . . . — — Map (db m32770) HM