Dedicated to the memory
of those who paid the
supreme price...that they
gave their lives for
Autauga County – Carter, Emmett James
Baldwin County – Beveridge, Bruce Jr. - Conway, Brooks E. - Davison, . . . — — Map (db m85350) WM
The Highway Route
The Highway Route of the De Soto Trail is intended to follow the actual trail as closely as major highways permit.
These highways are U.S. 278 from the Georgia line to Piedmont, Ala; Ala. 21 to Winterboro; Ala. 76 to . . . — — Map (db m85384) HM
The 224-foot Saturn IB Rocket displayed here is one of three launched vehicles in the Saturn family of rockets developed in Huntsville. The Saturn IB rocket had more power than the earlier Saturn I- enough for orbital missions with the Apollo . . . — — Map (db m85385) HM
This memorial is dedicated in honor of
all those from the state of Alabama who made the supreme sacrifice by laying down their life for their country in Vietnam. 1959-1975
This memorial was erected by Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter 511 - . . . — — Map (db m52449) WM
created Feb. 6, 1818 by Alabama Territorial Legislature from lands ceded by Cherokee Nation 1806 and by Chickasaw Nation in 1816. Named for creek (and its limestone bed), which runs through county.
Few settlers here until Indian treaties.
Athens . . . — — Map (db m29109) HM
This church was organized in 1829 as a Cumberland Presbyterian church by the Revs. Robert Donnell, John Morgan and Allen Gipson.
After first using an interdenominational building, a church was built on West Washington street in 1852.
This was . . . — — Map (db m85386) HM
On May 2, 1862, Union troops of the 19th and 24th Illinois and the 37th Indiana Regiments commanded by Col. John Basil Turchin went on a rampage through the town. They looted and plundered stores and homes, stealing clothing, jewelry and anything of . . . — — Map (db m85387) HM
In 1818, Robert Beaty and John D. Carriel, co-founders of the town of Athens, donated ground for all public buildings, including $8,000 toward the erection on this site of a log court house. Among their donations were the springs which supply . . . — — Map (db m72221) HM
(Side A): Athens was incorporated in 1818, one year prior to the admission of Alabama as the 22nd state. It is the seat of Limestone County, created by an act of the Alabama Territorial Legislature. Athens has a legacy of providing quality . . . — — Map (db m85388) HM
North Side This marks the site of Cambridge, a small town established in the earliest years of Limestone County. In 1818, it consisted of several business houses, shops, and a mill. It was one of three locations considered for the county . . . — — Map (db m60177) HM
Wealthy and influential Virginia family settled here in 1820's. Daniel Coleman (1801-1857) built his stately home a block west about 1826. During the Civil War, home was occupied by Yankee troops who took Elizabeth Coleman's teeth for their gold . . . — — Map (db m85389) HM
The Confederate Circle in Athens City Cemetery contains graves of over 50 soldiers killed in or around Athens during the WBTS, 8 unknown. Around 1898 ladies of the local UDC were working in the cemetery when bones, believed to be soldiers, were . . . — — Map (db m94159) HM
A section of the fence that surrounded the 'Court House' grounds until 1916. When construction of the present building was planned, the fence was moved to the County Poor Farm on Elkton Rd. This section donated to the people of Limestone County by . . . — — Map (db m85390) HM
From the 1850s to the 1970s, the Louisville & Nashville Depot was located between Market and Washington streets. The building has been used as a dress ship, a photographer's studio, and in 2004 was remodeled for the Limestone County Archives. . . . — — Map (db m93878) HM
Fort Henderson Built on this site in 1863 by federal forces occupying Athens. It was a five-sided earthen fort with some frame buildings and underground bomb-proofs. Abatis lined the fifteen-foot deep perimeter ditch, a small portion of which . . . — — Map (db m41787) HM
This house was purchased by George S. Houston in 1845 and was his home until his death here on 31st December 1879. Houston served the people of Alabama in public office for thirty six years. His long and distinguished political . . . — — Map (db m85420) HM
Lentzville Cemetery began as the family cemetery for the family of John Henry Lentz (7 Feb 1753-18 Jul 1835) and his wife Savilla. John Henry was a veteran of the American Revolution and pioneer settler of Limestone County, entering his land in . . . — — Map (db m114306) HM
Lucy's Branch This site is named for Lucy Bedingfield, daughter of a slave and a Cherokee Indian. She was born 1832, and her Indian name was Finch. She married Meredith Bedingfield, a slave and had 9 children. Lucy was an astute and avid . . . — — Map (db m85421) HM
The second Confederate Monument was erected in June 1912. This view shows the intersection of Market and Marion streets.
The 4-H'ers parade their cattle on the courthouse lawn in 1959. Judges were on hand to give a blue ribbon for the best . . . — — Map (db m93881) HM
This is the earliest known cemetery in the town of Athens, and the final resting place for many of its first citizens. The earliest burials date from the 1820’s and continue through the mid-1800’s, with an occasional burial past 1900. Through the . . . — — Map (db m71525) HM
Built abt. 1849 by Rev. Robert Donnell, a native of North Carolina, and his second wife Clara Lindley Donnell. He was greatly inspired by the Great Spiritual Revival of 1800 and became a Presbyterian circuit rider, one of the . . . — — Map (db m72159) HM
A church older than the county and state. First meeting house built in the fall of 1816, on Indian land, a few miles south of here along Round Island Creek. The first Govt. Land sales were in Feb. 1818 after treaties with the . . . — — Map (db m85422) HM
The First Baptist Church, organized in 1824, built a meeting house in 1826. A brick structure was erected in 1831 but was replaced with the above building in 1909. This church located on the north west corner of Clinton and Hobbs streets, was later . . . — — Map (db m93883) HM
This cistern is the last remnant of Trinity School located here 1865-1907. The cistern was used to store rainwater collected from the roof. No physical evidence remains of the Ross Hotel, the Chapman Quarters, and other buildings on this block, . . . — — Map (db m72219) HM
Marker Front Thomas Bibb built this grand house in 1826 and named it "Belle Manor" (beautiful home), but local pronunciation altered it to "Belle Mina". The home which stayed in the Bibb family until 1940 was the seat of Bibb's large . . . — — Map (db m85424) HM
Born April 23, 1781 in Hanover Co. Virginia, married there to Martha Hargrave of a wealthy Quaker family. He served as U.S. Marshall and in other positions. Moved to Kentucky in 1808. Was a Captain in the WAR OF 1812 and became a political and . . . — — Map (db m29284) HM
The Southeast Air Forces Training Center operated by Southern Aviation Training School, also known as Pryor Field, was constructed in 1941. These two aircraft hangars and beacon tower are the remaining artifacts of one of only a few World War II . . . — — Map (db m85425) HM
On Sept. 25, 1864 Gen. N.B. Forrest's Confederate cavalry, with Morton's battery of 4 guns, attacked and captured the Union fort near here. The fort consisted of a square redoubt, rifle pits, two blockhouses, and some frame buildings. It protected a . . . — — Map (db m60870) HM
Train #3 southbound, circa 1913. The wye (turnaround) is visible on the right. Because trains traveled with only one engine in the early railroad days and the tracks further south were under construction, a wye was necessary at Elkmont for . . . — — Map (db m93859) HM
01: Looking south on Railroad Street.
02: McWilliams Store, June 1913.
03: Drugstore interior, 1940s.
04: Citizens' Bank, early 1900s.
05: Elkmont Post Office, circa 1900s.
06: Telephone switchboard, early 1900s.
07: Elkmont Post . . . — — Map (db m93856) HM
Limestone County High School (grades 9-12) was established in 1912. Money for the building, nearly $10,000, was obtained from three sources: the sale of property of an old Elkmont Elementary School, state funds, and private donations. Honored and . . . — — Map (db m93851) HM
Front The earliest settlers to this area moved across the Chickasaw boundary before 1810 and established the Sims and New Garden settlements. The area came to be known as Elkmont, for the once abundant elk, the Elk River and the "mount" on . . . — — Map (db m85426) HM
Old New Garden Cemetery
This cemetery is one of the oldest in Limestone County and is listed on the Alabama Historic Cemetery Register. Many of the areas earliest settlers are buried here including Patsy Elmore, widow of a . . . — — Map (db m73836) HM
Simeon Corder is said to have contracted with George Hamilton to build the mill and operate it for him in 1909. The contract was sealed with no more than a handshake. After Corder's death in 1923, his widow sold the mill to Aubrey Todd, who sold it . . . — — Map (db m93847) HM
Side A (North side) In the fall of 1806 a group of settlers led by William and James Sims, traveled from east Tennessee on flatboats down the Tennessee River and up the Elk River to this area. They landed near Buck Island and spread out . . . — — Map (db m85454) HM
The bricks in these walls were once part of the homes of Limestone Countians. Each one represents a dream, and the loss of that dream on April 27, 2011, when seven tornadoes hit Limestone County and 62 struck in Alabama, . . . — — Map (db m72495) HM
Gourdsville / Gilbertsboro
Gourdsville is the colorful place-name of one of the earliest settlements in Limestone County. It was little more than a camp of shanties established by intruders on the Chickasaw lands who were driven back to the . . . — — Map (db m132612) HM
VA native John Nelson Spotswood Jones, son of Rev. War Capt. Lewellen Jones, cousin of Martha Washington, and descendant of Rev. Rowland Jones of Williamsburg's Bruton Parish, built Druid's Grove near this site before 1820 and established the . . . — — Map (db m70235) HM
Front The town of Cottonport flourished in the early years of Limestone County. It was settled in 1818 and chartered in 1824. It was located approx. 1½ miles S.E. near the point where Limestone Creek flowed into the Tennessee River and . . . — — Map (db m85455) HM
Post office contains original call boxes
Old tavern, 1817 used as stagecoach stop
Red Brick Methodist church 1817
U.S. Gen. James A Garfield was stationed here 1862
White frame church is more than a century old
Andrew Johnson was . . . — — Map (db m28154) HM
Mooresville Brick Church
Completed by 1839 this Greek Revival Structure was probably under construction for several years. On November 18, 1838 Alabama's 2nd Governor, Thomas Bibb and his wife Pamela deeded this property to . . . — — Map (db m85456) HM
Incorporated November 16, 1818
Mooresville Post Office, c.1840, is the oldest operational post office in the state of Alabama. It has served the community form the same building since its . . . — — Map (db m89028) HM
Approximately 200 yards east of this site are the unmarked graves of Abner Alloway Strange, Sr., and other family members. (The markers were moved to Salem Methodist Cemetery in 1977.) A Sergeant in the Virginia Militia, Strange was at Yorktown . . . — — Map (db m32561) HM
The first known burial here is Charles Cunningham who died September 28, 1852. Many unmarked fieldstones are present that could mark older graves. The cemetery contains 82 identifiable burials with headstones. Six Confederate soldiers, WWI, and WWII . . . — — Map (db m98753) HM
The first known burial here is Nancy Vinson Christopher who died May 16, 1852. Many unmarked fieldstones are present that could mark older graves. The cemetery contains 52 identifiable burials with headstones. Five Confederate soldiers and one WWII . . . — — Map (db m71991) HM
A grand two story brick house built in the Federal style with a double tier pedimented Palladian portico. The house displays architectural features brought to Limestone County by early settlers from Southside Virginia, and adjacent North Carolina. . . . — — Map (db m90915) HM
One of the oldest brick houses in the country. It was built, circa 1822-28, by Wm. Parham for Joseph Johnston, the original landowner. It displays both Georgian and Federal influences in its style and details. A molded brick water table and . . . — — Map (db m117805) HM
Hemmed in by superior forces Forrest's fast~moving cavalry raided and destroyed Union supply lines and strong points, captured 2,360 men, valuable stores.
By swift action, surprise and bluff Forrest disrupted Union military plans from Decatur to . . . — — Map (db m29104) HM
Build abt. 1858 by Schuyler Harris on land once owned by Henry Augustine Washington, a distant relative of the first president. Through purchases, marriages, and inheritance between the Washington, Harris and Pryor families, all . . . — — Map (db m85458) HM
Generations of African~American families have worshiped here, beginning with services held under a brush arbor prior to the Civil War. In August of 1879, the land for the Oakland Methodist church was deeded to parishioners. In a wooden one-room . . . — — Map (db m29094) HM