“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Lowndes County Alabama Historical Markers

Hayneville Marker Area image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, September 2, 2013
Hayneville Marker Area
Alabama (Lowndes County), Hayneville — Hayneville
Founded in 1820 by settlers from the Edgefield, Abbeville, and Colleton Districts of South Carolina on property purchased from the U.S. Land Office at Cahaba. Officially named Hayneville in 1831 to honor South Carolina Senator Robert Y. Hayne. . . . — Map (db m68004) HM
Alabama (Lowndes County), Hayneville — The Soldier Dead of Lowndes — 1861 - 1865
(front) 1861-1865 The Soldier Dead of Lowndes (left side) No men died there with more glory. Yet many died, And there was much glory. (right side) To Devotion and Valor. . . . — Map (db m68342) WM
Alabama (Lowndes County), Hayneville — Town of Hayneville
In the 1820s, Hayneville was known as "Big Swamp." In 1830, after being chosen as the county seat of Lowndes County, it was named Hayneville for Robert Y. Hayne, governor of South Carolina and a U.S. senator. The incorporation of Hayneville as a . . . — Map (db m85459) HM
Alabama (Lowndes County), Lowndesboro — Campsite 3 — Selma to Montgomery Trail
Robert Gardner Farm March 23, 1965 — Map (db m61847) HM
Alabama (Lowndes County), Lowndesboro — Elmore Bolling — May 10, 1908 - December 4, 1947
Lowndesboro, AL—Enraged whites, jealous over the business success of a Negro are believed to be the lynchers of Elmore Bolling. Bolling, 39, was found riddled with shot gun and pistol shots 150 yards from his general merchandise store. . . . — Map (db m85460) HM
Alabama (Lowndes County), Lowndesboro — Lowndesboro
Settled before 1820 by planters from South Carolina and Virigina. First called McGill's Hill, it was incorporated, 1832, as Lowndesboro in honor of William Lowndes. There was a brief skirmish here between Forrest's troops and Wilson's raiders, April . . . — Map (db m70933) HM
Alabama (Lowndes County), Lowndesboro — Lowndesboro, Alabama/Lowndesboro Business District
(Side 1) Lowndesboro, Alabama Lowndesboro developed from a small community of early settlers to a thriving township in the 1830’s. The settlers’ plantation interests were maintained in the lowlands along the Alabama River, while . . . — Map (db m70934) HM
Alabama (Lowndes County), Lowndesboro — Our Confederate Soldiers — 1861   1865
In Honor of Our Confederate Soldiers 1861 1865 Jno Alexander • Wm. Alexander • Wm. H. Alexander • Ed Alexander • Capt. M.F. Bonham • Maj. Bright • Capt. T.B. Brown • Alberta Caffee • Irvin Crocheron • J.P. Caffee • Jim Crocheron • Jno. . . . — Map (db m85472) WM
Alabama (Lowndes County), Lowndesboro — Viola Liuzzo
In memory of our sister Viola Liuzzo who gave her life in the struggle for the right to vote... March 25, 1965 Presented by SCLC/WOMEN Evelyn G. Lowery, National Convener - 1991 - The Southern Christian Leadership Conference Joseph E. . . . — Map (db m85461) HM
Alabama (Lowndes County), Mt. Carmel — Lynching in America / Lynching in Letohatchee
Side 1 Lynching in America Thousands of black people were the victims of lynching and racial violence in the United States between 1877 and 1950. The lynching of African Americans during this era was a form of racial terrorism . . . — Map (db m97983) HM
Alabama (Lowndes County), Tyler — Talisi visited by De Soto — Sept. 18, 1540
. . . — Map (db m81920) HM
Alabama (Lowndes County), White Hall — Campsite 2 — Selma to Montgomery Trail
Rosie Steele Farm March 22, 1965 — Map (db m70954) HM
Alabama (Lowndes County), White Hall — Holy Ground Battlefield
Six miles North, on December 23, 1813, General F.L. Claiborne's army defeated the Creeks and destroyed the Holy Ground Indian Village. One American was killed and 33 Creeks. William "Red Eagle" Weatherford escaped by leaping on horseback into . . . — Map (db m60714) HM
Alabama (Lowndes County), White Hall — Mount Gillard Baptist Church
The roots of this house of worship date to 1868 when 26 African American members of Mount Gilead Church left to form their own congregation. The present building was constructed in 1901, with several enlargements and renovations throughout the . . . — Map (db m104068) HM

14 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement