Situated on historic White Bluff
overlooking the Tombigbee River,
Bluff Hall was built in 1832 by
slaves of Allen Glover for his
daughter, Sarah Serena, and her
husband, Francis Strother Lyon.
Lawyer and planter, F. S. Lyon, served in both . . . — — Map (db m37997) HM
on Marengo Circuit, 1826-1839
church founded 1840, great revival 1843
first building erected 1840-43 (remodeled 1848)
on lot donated by the Rev. A. J. Crawford
two early pastors became bishops:
John C. Keener (1843-44) and Holland N. . . . — — Map (db m38065) HM
Side A Charter members 1839:
John B. Cook (first elder)
Mary S. Cook
Eleanor L. Lucy
Mariah S. Tillinghast
Benajah P. Whitlow
Eliza A. Whitlow
First resident pastor (1846-53);
. . . — — Map (db m38010) HM
Built in 1840 for Augustus Foscue (1799-1861), a North Carolina native who owned more than 3,000 acres and 137 slaves in Marengo County by 1850. Daughter Mary Alice (1838-1899) married in 1855 to Dr. Bryan Watkins Whitfield (1828-1908), son of Gen. . . . — — Map (db m38180) HM
Built 1842-1860 by Gen. Nathan Bryan Whitfield 1799-1868 accomplished planter of the Canebrake
using imported materials and artisans Glorifying the Greek Revival Architecture by combining Doric exterior
Corinthian grand ballroom Ionic parlor . . . — — Map (db m38068) HM
Catholicism was first introduced to this
region in 1540 by the priests who accompanied
Hernando DeSoto. Napoleonic exiles of the
Vine and Olive Colony held religious services
and attempted to establish a Catholic mission
in Demopolis in 1817. . . . — — Map (db m37994) HM
Side A Congregation B’nai Jeshurun dedicated its first temple on this site on Thanksgiving Day, November 30, 1893 with Rabbi Edward Levy of Selma officiating. The perpetual lamp was lighted by Isaac Marx, the first Jew to settle in . . . — — Map (db m85844) HM
The Demopolis Opera House In 1876, the town of Demopolis leased the former
Presbyterian Church, a classic brick structure
built in 1843 and occupied by federal troops during
Reconstruction, to the Demopolis Opera Association.
The . . . — — Map (db m38009) HM
Side A Establishing a history of theaters in this district, the Braswell Theater introduced its ornate interior to
Demopolis on October 23, 1902, with a performance of
the melodrama Unorna. Built by Frederick Henry Braswell in . . . — — Map (db m85845) HM
The first church building, a frame structure
built in 1857, was burned by Federal troops
during their occupation of Demopolis.
The present church building was erected in
1870 and forms the nave. The transepts were
added in 1896 and the bell . . . — — Map (db m38004) HM
Exiled Bonapartists granted four Townships of land in this area by Act of Congress March 3, 1817.
Colonists founded Demopolis in 1817 and villages of Aigleville and Arcola soon thereafter.
Attempt to cultivate grapes and olives failed. After a . . . — — Map (db m38185) HM
Composed of limestone or “Selma
chalk” which abounds in fossils.
Called “Ecor Blanc” by
eighteenth-century French explorers
Named “Chickasaw Gallery” because
early Indian inhabitants . . . — — Map (db m38001) HM
Drainage canal constructed between 1845
and 1863 by slaves of General Nathan Bryan
Whitfield, builder of Gaineswood, to prevent
water from overflowing and flooding his
plantation. The water from 2,070 acres south
and east of Gaineswood . . . — — Map (db m37993) HM
Born January 5, 1861 - Died June 28, 1948
Marengo Co. Surveyor, Historian, and Journalist
Author of Democrat Reporter Newspaper Column “Old Times”
"He was a Baptist, A Mason, A Surveyor, an Old-Timer" . . . — — Map (db m73005) HM
Interred in the north section of this cemetery were many slaves who had labored on Faunsdale Plantation since its founding in 1843. The earliest identified burial in the black section of the cemetery is that of Barbary (Harrison), a house servant on . . . — — Map (db m72965) HM
1844 - Dr. Thomas & Louisa Harrison gave acre of their Faunsdale Plantation for a log church designated Union Parish.
1852 - name changed to St. Michael’s Parish.
1855 - slave artisans Peter Lee and Joe Glasgow built Gothic Revival-style . . . — — Map (db m72964) HM
Mt. Pleasant Baptist
by Elder James Yarbrough in 1820
with 27 charter members.
By 1834 it had 150 members.
Church among the oldest in Demopolis area.
Buried in church cemetery are John Gilmore, Reuben Hildreth and . . . — — Map (db m72974) HM
Built on two acres of land deeded by John D. Catlin, May 30, 1842, to Daniel E. Ellis, James Turner, David Compton and John Besteder, trustee of Methodist Episcopal Church known as Asbury Meeting House.
This early Greek Revival building was . . . — — Map (db m72973) HM
created Feb. 7, 1818 by Alabama Territorial Legislature from lands ceded by Choctaw Indian Nation.
Named for Marengo, Italy, where Napoleon won victory over Austrians in 1800.
After Napoleon's defeat, some of his exiled officials came here . . . — — Map (db m72963) HM
The Alabama Territorial Legislature established Marengo County in 1818. The “Town of Marengo” was then surveyed near the center of the county to serve as county seat. In 1824 lots were sold, and early French . . . — — Map (db m72971) HM
Constructed 1848 and served as the
seat of county government until 1903.
October 9, 1890 Rube Burrows, the nations most notorious Train Robber, was slain here by Sheriff Jefferson D. Carter.
1903-1915 Linden Public School
1915-1947 . . . — — Map (db m72972) HM
Constituted June 6, 1821 from the fruits of labor of the venerable Solomon Perkins, For four years after their constitution they enjoyed almost a continual revival. Home of Miss Willie Kelly, a missionary to China from 1894 to 1936. This church was . . . — — Map (db m72968) HM
Following the Civil War and emancipation, newly freed African Americans, who had worshiped in the Bethel Church in McKinley while enslaved, established their own Bethel Church in a wooden house at the rear of the current church site. In the . . . — — Map (db m72969) HM
The original building was located about three miles east of the present site near the village of Shiloh. It was used as a union church until it became a Baptist Church in 1842. A new building was erected at the present site and the first bodies were . . . — — Map (db m72970) HM
About 1830, settlers from the Carolinas and Virginia came to this area in search of fertile land. They staked their claims to adjoining plantations adjacent to what became Thomaston. In 1890, Dr. Charles Brooks Thomas bought the . . . — — Map (db m72967) HM