Important Indian town for over 250 years and capital of Coosa province.
Visited by DeSoto in 1540, and later by Spanish, French, British colonial explorers and traders. Early writers tell of abundant food crops, wild and cultivated, . . . — — Map (db m57994) HM
Named for the famous Spanish explorer who traveled through this area in 1540. Over its rich history it offered shelter for native Indians for centuries (a 2,000-year-old Woodland Period burial was excavated by archeologists in the mid-1960s), . . . — — Map (db m45034) HM
Childersburg traces its heritage to the Coosa Indian village located in the area. DeSoto, accompanied by 600 men, began his march across North America in June 1539. Traveling from Tampa Bay, Florida, northward through what became the Southeastern . . . — — Map (db m45137) HM
1492 - Columbus visits Caribbean islands
1519 - Pineda visits Mobile area
1528 - Narváez reaches Mobile area
1540 - De Soto explores Alabama
1559 - De Luna retraces De Soto’s route in Alabama
1702 - French establish first permanent colony . . . — — Map (db m45496) HM
Here in 1814 Tennessee Troops Joined Andrew Jackson's force which won the Creek Indian War.
After Indian removal in 1836 these veterans brought their families here, named this community for their old home in Tennessee. Fayetteville Academy . . . — — Map (db m57993) HM
(Side A) Historical records indicate that DeSoto and his men, as they traveled the South in search of gold, were the first white men to see the Lincoln area. With the ceding of the Creek Indian Territory in 1837, the population of the . . . — — Map (db m33282) HM
In April 1950, Alabama’s last two living Confederate veterans met here to discuss shared experiences of the Civil War. Local resident Col. Pleasant ‘Riggs’ Crump was visited by Gen. James Moore of Selma, commander of the Alabama chapter of the . . . — — Map (db m62209) HM
Stars Fell On Alabama
November 30, 1954. It was a cold, clear early afternoon when Dr. Moody Jacobs left his office for lunch. In the sky, he saw a trail of dark smoke and heard an explosion before white smoke shot out in several . . . — — Map (db m44229) HM
Built by Andrew Jackson with U.S. Regulars, Tennessee Volunteers and friendly Cherokees and Creeks. Used as advance base during final phases of Creek Indian War, 1813-1814. Military cemetery nearby. — — Map (db m57761) HM
Founded in 1896 by brothers John Judge and Milton Graham Hightower, this small-town livery stable served the community and surrounding countryside until its closing in 1955. Originally located nearby, the business moved to this “New . . . — — Map (db m57763) HM
Marble City Cemetery opened for public burials in 1898 when the City of Sylacauga purchased one acre of a wheat field from James T. Persons. Originally a private burial ground of the George W. Pearson family, the earliest burial dates from 1876. The . . . — — Map (db m57764) HM
Settled in 1748 by Shawnee
Indians from Ohio.
They joined Creek Confederacy,
fought against U.S. in War of 1812,
were moved west in 1836.
Settled before 1836 by men
who had fought in this area
under Andrew Jackson.
Indian name: . . . — — Map (db m40595) HM
Here, on a gentle west slope just outside of the original town limits, lies the earliest public cemetery in Sylacauga. The earliest tombstone remaining in the cemetery dates to 1839. Its location and the adjacent family plots of later dates reveal . . . — — Map (db m131718) HM
After the incorporation of Sylacauga in 1838 came the establishment of this cemetery where for the next 75 years most of the citizens were buried-- many graves being now unmarked.
In 1974-75 as a tribute to these past generations and a legacy . . . — — Map (db m131731) HM
The district contains a collection of late-19th to mid-20th century commercial buildings representing over 60 years of Sylacauga's commercial history. On December 1, 1886, the Anniston and Atlantic Railroad became the first railroad to come through . . . — — Map (db m131719) HM
This example of the world's purest white marble is 500 million years old, is 98 percent pure calcium carbonate, and weighs 29,000 pounds. This quality marble is found only in the Sylacauga area in a seam 32 miles long, 12 miles wide and 400 feet . . . — — Map (db m131729) HM
The Works Progress Administration (WPA), the Sylacauga community, and the state of Alabama, constructed this library in 1939. The building is the result of $16,588 from raised local funds including a $5000 donation for furnishings from the family of . . . — — Map (db m131721) HM
By action of the Alabama Conference of The Methodist Episcopal Church, South in session at Talladega, December 13-18, 1854, Auburn University and Birmingham - Southern College were born. The delegation resolved to “have a college within the . . . — — Map (db m28202) HM
Here Andrew Jackson led Tennessee Volunteers and friendly Indians to victory over hostile “Red Sticks.”
This action rescued friendly Creeks besieged in Fort Leslie.
Creek Indian War 1813 - 1814. — — Map (db m28205) HM
Originally conceived 1864 as a home for children of Confederate dead by Synod in session at Selma.
Opened at Tuskegee 1868 - relocated in Talladega 1891. A haven for dependent youth of Alabama providing training, education, and worship in a . . . — — Map (db m28206) HM
The City of Talladega was incorporated in 1835. Not long after the founding of Talladega, the Square became the town center. The Talladega Courthouse was built in 1836 and is the oldest courthouse in continuous use in Alabama. The courthouse . . . — — Map (db m37229) HM
The distinguished Joiner family lived here in an imposing mansion, demolished in 1970.
James H. Joiner: Pioneer in Talladega's progress while publisher, 1844-73, of one of Alabama's most influential newspapers - The Democratic Watchtower. . . . — — Map (db m37220) HM
Seven Battle Stars
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
World War II
☆ Iwo Jima Operation
☆ Okinawa Gunto Operation
First of the 31 ship convoy with occupation troops
to dock at Yokohama on VJ Day, September . . . — — Map (db m12212) HM