These doors and windows were used to build a jail on the Northwest corner of Huachuca & 5th Street during April – May 1938. Needing jail material, Benson obtained approval to remove cell doors & windows from the no longer used jail in . . . — — Map (db m48508) HM
This land was deeded to the City of Benson as a cemetery by the Pacific Improvement Company, the California based land company of the Southern Pacific Railroad, in March 1929.
Burial plots were sold to residents by the City of Benson and the . . . — — Map (db m48512) HM
Four miles southeast at
Apache peace treaty with Cochise
was ratified in 1872
Near Dragoon Springs on October 12, 1872, General O.O. Howard and Cochise, Chief of the Chiricahua Apache Indians, ratified a peace treaty . . . — — Map (db m27877) HM
In the early 1900's the rough edges of Bisbee's mining camps could be found here in notorious Brewery Gulch with its dozens of saloons, gambling halls and crib houses. The street got its name from a common activity in Bisbee's early days, . . . — — Map (db m28278) HM
The Calumet and Arizona Mining Company developed a new town site in this area in 1905 to ensure the continued success of its mining interests. Using the "City Beautiful" model, the new town site – Warren – provided affordable housing. In . . . — — Map (db m48574) HM
The City of Bisbee honors by this memorial her warriors who died in defense of the principles of American Democracy against enemies of freedom in World War I, World War II, the Korean War and the War in Vietnam that their patriotic sacrifice will be . . . — — Map (db m28279) WM
The extent of the power and influence of the copper mining industry in Bisbee's early history is evident here in the Copper Queen Plaza. The buildings were built by the Copper Queen Consolidated Mining Company, later to become Phelps Dodge . . . — — Map (db m28276) HM
.......On this site in the year of 1877, Sgt. Jack Dunn,
with a detail of the Tenth U.S. Cavalry pursuing renegade Apaches, discovered rich out croppings of copper & silver ore. The discovery led to the staking of the first mining claim & the . . . — — Map (db m48561) HM
Front of obelisk
Road Constructed by
Prison Labor 1913-14
Board of Control
Geo. W.P. Hunt Governor
C. Callaghan Auditor
U.R. Osburn Member
R.E. Sims Supt of Prison
Right side of obelisk . . . — — Map (db m48552) HM
This building was the general office for the Bisbee operations of Phelps Dodge Corporation from 1895 to 1961.
In 1971 it was given to the City of Bisbee by Phelps Dodge and was designated as a National Historic Site by the National Park . . . — — Map (db m28275) HM
This open pit mine is named
The Lavender Pit
In honor of
Harrison M. Lavender
1890 – 1952
Who as vice president and general manager of Phelps Dodge Corporation conceived and carried out this plan for making the . . . — — Map (db m28281) HM
Originally constructed of wood in 1908, the Warren Ball Park is the oldest in the state of Arizona and stands as testimony to Bisbee's rich heritage. The Warren Company, a subsidiary of the Calumet & Arizona and Pittsburgh & Superior Mining . . . — — Map (db m48573) HM
The Road Below
We started through Apache Pass, over awful roads, up hill and down. We had to tie the wagon wheels with ropes and then in some places, the men had to stand on the wheels to keep them from turning over. Every man who could . . . — — Map (db m101004) HM
There are two markers on a single kiosk
Apache Pass is a low divide separating the massive Chiricahua Mountains from the Dos Cabezas Mountains. This landscape formed a rugged corridor through which people and goods were moved. The Pass . . . — — Map (db m100810) HM
Pottery fragments found around Apache Spring suggest it was used by prehistoric Mogollon Indians before the Apache arrived. Journals of early Spanish explorers described Apache trails radiating from the spring. The Butterfield Trail was constructed . . . — — Map (db m100823) HM
After the events on the afternoon of February 4th, Bascom ordered the command to move toward, and fortify, the stage station. According to Sergeant Daniel Robinson:
“Our wagons were placed end to end, forming a semicircle, covering . . . — — Map (db m100815) HM
This massive adobe structure was among the earliest built at the new fort. By the mid-1880s, it had a shingled and pitched roof, attractive porches, kerosene lamps, and landscaping. The kitchen was behind the barracks; the mess hall adjacent.
. . . — — Map (db m100998) HM
Palatable food during the fort's early days was a constant problem; the soil was poor quality, lacking nutrients, and other sources of fresh food were distant. Though neighboring ranches supplied some vegetables and meats, they were still a day's . . . — — Map (db m100956) HM
[Side 1: In English :]
September 4-8, 1986, Arizonans marked the return of the Chiricahua Ex-Prisoners of War and their descendants in ceremonies that completed a spiritual circle. We remembered and reflected on the clash between . . . — — Map (db m42513) HM
The fort's most elaborate structure, a two story, Victorian-style mansion, was built in 1884-1885 for about $4,000.00. An expensive home at that time! Among its thirteen rooms (originally designed as a duplex) were a drawing room, a sewing room with . . . — — Map (db m101000) HM
To your right, a spur trail follows a military road 300 yards to the first Fort Bowie ruins.
On July 28, 1862, a 100-man detachment of the 5th California Volunteer Infantry began construction of the primitive fort, completing it two weeks . . . — — Map (db m42004) HM
A Regional Legacy
Cochise. Geronimo. Though their reputations were fierce, the Chiricahua Apaches didn't stop explorers, prospectors, settlers, and merchants from Westward immigration. To establish a lifeline between the East and California, . . . — — Map (db m37761) HM
Enlisted infantrymen found that privacy was not a feature of barracks life. Privates and corporals bunked together in the main room; sergeants occupied small adjoining rooms.
Each soldier stored his military gear and personal belongings on a . . . — — Map (db m101002) HM
Mining activity in Apache Pass started when members of the California Volunteers discovered a, “...gold and quartz bearing ledge...” in 1864. The “Harris Lode” as it became to be known, was later developed by the Apache Pass . . . — — Map (db m100811) HM
Established 1862 following the Battle of Apache Pass, largest conflict in Arizona Indian Wars. Massed Apaches under Cochise and Mangas Coloradas were routed by howitzers fired by California Volunteers attacked in the pass. Fort Bowie overlooked only . . . — — Map (db m6994) HM
In March 1854, Lt. John Parke of the Topographical Engineer Corps led a survey party in search of an all-weather route for the transcontinental railroad. After a march of 55 waterless miles through Sulphur Springs Valley, the party entered Apache . . . — — Map (db m100812) HM
The Post Cemetery predated the establishment of Fort Bowie, when soldiers of the California Column were interred here in 1862. The area was unfenced until 1878, when a four-foot adobe wall was erected to protect the graves from desecration by post . . . — — Map (db m68858) HM
The equivalent of the modern army post exchange, the post trader offered for sale items not supplied by the army – toilet articles, sewing supplies, tobacco, medicinal cure-alls, fresh vegetables, canned fruits, and a wide variety of . . . — — Map (db m101003) HM
This frame building with a shingled roof was constructed in 1883 to enlarge the storage space available to the quartermaster. The original adobe storehouse, built in 1868, is immediately to the south.
The post quartermaster and his staff . . . — — Map (db m100954) HM
Two years after the 1872 peace agreement with Cochise, the great Apache chief died. Several hundred Chiricahuas were relocated on the San Carlos Indian Reservation. However, Geronimo and over a hundred of his followers escaped the roundup, to begin . . . — — Map (db m100953) HM
On February 4, 1861, 2nd Lt. George Bascom, and his detachment of 54 men encamped two hundred yards east of here. Bascoms mission was to find Cochise, recover a kidnapped boy and return livestock assumed taken by the Chiricahua Apaches. . . . — — Map (db m42008) HM
An advance guard of 96 California Volunteers, marching toward the San Simon River to establish a supply depot for the California Column, followed the Butterfield Road through Apache Pass. As they approached the abandoned stage station, Cochise and . . . — — Map (db m100820) HM
In 1857, the government awarded John Butterfield a contract to carry mail by stagecoach between St. Louis and San Francisco. The 2,800-mile route was to be traversed within 25 days. A year later, as the stagecoaches prepared to roll, Butterfiled . . . — — Map (db m100817) HM
The Story: U.S. Indian Agent Thomas Jeffords governed some 900 Chiricahua Apaches here in 1875-76, under the vigilance of the U.S. Army at Fort Bowie.
Cochise, Chiricahua chieftain and friend of Jeffords, died in 1874, leaving the band . . . — — Map (db m100819) HM
The Apache Pass Stage Station was built of stone in July 1858. Within its 6-8 foot-high walls were a kitchen-dining room, sleeping rooms, a storage room for feed and weapons, and a mule corral with portholes in every stall. The stage stopped here . . . — — Map (db m100814) HM
This valley owes its name to the two springs located one mile north of this monument. From 400 A.D. to 1450 A.D. Indigenous Indians farmed the region. Their bedrock mortar pits remain on the nearby hill. Later Chiricahua Apaches, Spaniards, . . . — — Map (db m37768) HM
At this location on June 5, 1933, First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt, wife of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, dedicated Douglas International Airport as the first international airport in the United States.
Designed by J. P. Sexton as the first . . . — — Map (db m28357) HM
Elizabeth W. Ames, Mayor
Hector M. Salinas, Ward 1
Richard A. Arzate, Ward 2
Ramon H. Jordan, Ward 3
Harry F. Ames , Ward 4
Margaret Shannon, Ward 5
Rudy Quinonez, Ward 6
R. Delbert Self, City Manager . . . — — Map (db m28295) HM
Library Hall was built in 1901 and has served as a Town Hall, a Church, a School and a Library. The building was given to the City of Douglas in March, 1973, by the Phelps Dodge Corporation. — — Map (db m28298) HM
On May 5, 1862, a Confederate foraging party rounding up cattle near the abandoned Butterfield Overland Mail Station battled a group of Apaches. The soldiers were members of Company A, Governor John R. Baylor's Regiment of Arizona Rangers, under the . . . — — Map (db m83149) HM
The San Antonio and San Diego Mail Line began service across Arizona to the Pacific coast in July, 1857. Its route included a stop here near the Dragoon spring. The San Antonio Line was commonly known as the "Jackass Mail" because mules were used . . . — — Map (db m76940) HM
Lt. John A. Rucker, 6th Cav. U.S.A. perished in proximity in flooded White River July 11, 1878 attempting to save life of Lt. Austin Henely
Also on this site 1884-1943 ranch headquarters of Gray - Hampe - Rak — — Map (db m42057) HM
Camp Supply served as the base for two companies of Indian Scouts: Company C commanded by 2nd Lieutenant John A. Rucker, and Company D led by 1st Lieutenant Austin Henely. Each Company included between 32 and 40 Scouts who enlisted for 6 months at a . . . — — Map (db m42080) HM
June , 1876 - The Chiricahua Apache Indian Reservation is abolished. Apaches who are not relocated to other reservations are labeled renegades. Military patrols are sent throughout southeastern Arizona in search of them.
March, 1878 - . . . — — Map (db m42087) HM
Camp Rucker was a ranching headquarters for over 80 years. The first owner was Michael Gray, a Justice of the Peace in Tombstone, Arizona. He moved to Camp Rucker in 1883 under the privileges of a “Squatters Claim.” Gray was strongly . . . — — Map (db m42077) HM
During the Chiricahua Apache Campaign (1861-1886) cavalry troops on maneuvers camped here at a permanent source of water known as Soldiers Hole.
W. C. Sanderson and Ambrose Lyall struck artesian water nearby in 1883.
In 1892 a . . . — — Map (db m28363) HM
This jail, built in 1910, replaced a tiny wooden jail which once stood nearby. Constructed entirely of reinforced concrete, it has withstood a hundred years of weather, escape attempts, vandals, neglect, and pillagers (official and otherwise): It . . . — — Map (db m64206) HM
At this location in 1952, a large bone bed was discovered containing the remains of extinct mammoth, tapir, bison and horse. Found with the bones were the weapons and tools of the Indians who had killed and butchered these animals. The bones and . . . — — Map (db m43633) HM
En el aρo 1539, recordando aϊn el anuncio de la conquista del imperio inca que occurriσ en 1533, el virrey Antonio de Mendoza receloso pero con te a la vez, enviσ a un sacerdote para comprobar los rumres [rumores] sobre ricas . . . — — Map (db m28255) HM
Situated on the southern route to the Pacific Ocean, it brought law and order to the Arizona Territory, protecting settlers, miners, travelers and immigrants. Its troops won the surrender of Geronimo. Generals Pershing and Wood served here.
As . . . — — Map (db m27897) HM
The remains of this noted gunman and outlaw lie here. A teamster traveling from West Turkey Creek found the body sitting in the fork of a nearby oak tree with a bullet hole in the right temple.
A coroner's jury reported the death to be suicide, . . . — — Map (db m28365) HM
A Post Office was established in the Pearce Camp in 1896. At that time the Soto Bros and Chattman Store served as the first Post Office location with Thomas Chattman as the first appointed postmaster. The Post Office was later relocated to this . . . — — Map (db m64204) HM
"Near here Geronimo, last Apache Chieftain, and Nachite with their followers surrendered on Sept. 6th 1886 to General Nelson A. Miles. U. S. Army. Lieutenant Chas. B. Gatewood with Kieta and Martine Apache scouts, risked their lives to enter the . . . — — Map (db m28355) HM
Dedicated to the
Engineering Achievements of
Percy Jones, Jr.
Chief locating engineer who by sheer genius personally located more miles of Arizona highways than any other person. His college training in mining and geology . . . — — Map (db m37899) HM
Dedicated to the
Engineering Achievements of
Percy Jones, Jr.
Chief locating engineer who by sheer genius personally located more miles of Arizona highways than any other person. His college training in mining and geology . . . — — Map (db m37900) HM
Built 1979 – 1980
1893 – 1974
In memory of all Americans who served their country with valor and gallantry during World War I and World War II in the pursuit of freedom and liberty for . . . — — Map (db m49433) HM
Constructed in 1956, the William Carmichael Elementary School was the first school to be built in the new Sierra Vista School District. The school first opened its doors on September 5, 1956, with 16 classrooms for 500 children in grades . . . — — Map (db m83848) HM
335 North Garden Avenue
Built in 1905
This is perhaps the oldest building still standing in Sierra Vista. Mr. John Reilly homesteaded the property and received the patent for the land in March of 1911. John Reilly and his wife Ellen sold . . . — — Map (db m27895) HM
301 North Garden Avenue
Built in 1927
The Carmichael House was built by William and Margaret Ziegan Carmichael on 131.05 acres. On December 11, 1911, Margaret, a single woman at the time, purchased the property from John and Ellen Reilly . . . — — Map (db m27894) HM
Dedicated 9, July 1993
In honor of
Command Sergeant Major
Clovis D. Ice
United States Army
1933 – 1991
CSM Ice was a pioneer in military intelligence, airborne and special forces operations. He was a principal developer of . . . — — Map (db m28234) HM
This site is within the Oliver Fry 280-acre homestead, which was filed August 11, 1912; the patent (or deed) was received August 11, 1916. Erwin Fry, the second oldest of Oliver and Elizabeth Fry's ten children, became the owner of this site. In . . . — — Map (db m27892) HM
The Crazyhorse system was fielded in 1985 to meet the need for a capability to locate unique electronic emissions in Central America. It consisted of three RC – 12G airframes converted from C – 12D aircraft by Sanders Associates, . . . — — Map (db m29587) HM
The Mohawk is a high-performance, two-seat, observation aircraft made by the Grumman Corporation. The first model flew in 1959 and the last came off the production line in 1970. First deployed in 1962, it became the mainstay of Army aerial . . . — — Map (db m29588) HM
holds the remains of
18 California Volunteers who died
at Fort Lowell during the Civil War and a
Civil War Veteran of the U.S. Colored Troops.
Their graves are marked with a GAR star.
Sgt. John C. McQuade - Co.B, 2 Calif. . . . — — Map (db m33745) HM
400 W. Fry Blvd.
Built in 1942
Originally constructed as a USO Club on land purchased by the U.S. Government from Mrs. Margaret Carmichael for the sum of $1.00, this facility served military personnel during World War II. It was closed . . . — — Map (db m27893) HM
Dedicated to the
Arizona Mining, Sand and Gravel Industry
by E.J. Cyr on 1/1/93
History: Built in 1905 by Ingersoll Rand for the Inspiration Consolidated Copper Co. in Miami, Arizona to power a 150 ton air compressor.
Antique wheel . . . — — Map (db m48595) HM
Born in Saginaw, Mich., in 1860, English, a law graduate, moved to Tombstone in 1880. He first worked as a miner, then became a partner in Smith & Goodrich law firm. He also served 3 terms as Cochise County District Attorney.
English's . . . — — Map (db m131100) HM
This Tombstone Cemetery gives mute testimony to the hardships of Western frontier life. The people buried here were housewives, painted ladies, outlaws, gamblers, miners, business men and women, blacksmiths, cowboys and those "who died with their . . . — — Map (db m27926) HM
Buried here are the remains of Tom McLaury, Frank McLaury, Billy Clanton - killed in Earp Clanton battle Oct 26, 1881.
Dan Dowd, Red Sample, Bill DeLancy, Dan Kelly: Tex Howard hanged legally by Sheriff Ward for Bisbee massacre Mar 1884, John . . . — — Map (db m100173) HM
Bob Hatch and John Campbell opened a billiard parlor in 1880. Bob Hatch was a colorful character and an amateur thespian. It was said he kept a jar of frogs on the counter as their croaking helped him predict the weather. He followed the Earps to . . . — — Map (db m48516) HM
The Can Can Restaurant was established in 1879 by Quong Kee. It was one of Tombstone's best known restaurants. In 1886 it was purchased by John Henninger who turned it into a first class eating establishment. It had a number of proprietors until . . . — — Map (db m48513) HM
The first business in Tombstone was opened on this corner by J.B. Allen. In 1879 it was purchased by Phillip Smith who opened the Pioneer Store and an agency of the Pima County Bank within the store. When Cochise County was established, Smith . . . — — Map (db m48514) HM
The son of a miner, Ed learned everything about prospecting from his father, except how to strike it rich! For twenty years, Ed prospected the west. He tried the "regular life," but after 18 months remarked: "No better off than I was prospecting, . . . — — Map (db m27933) HM
In 1879 there were 11 people in Tombstone of Chinese descent. By 1882 there were 250. The area between 2nd and 3rd and Allen and Toughnut was the area where they lived and had businesses, commonly called "Hoptown". The Chinese ran laundries, . . . — — Map (db m131096) HM
M. Calisher was a California company that opened a store in Tombstone in 1879. They sold general merchandise as well as lumber. Eighteen year old David Calisher managed the store. He was a member of a grand jury that indicted William Claiborne for a . . . — — Map (db m48528) HM
At 1:00 p.m. on April 21st, 1907, the "Million Dollar Stope" was created when the Good Enough Stope caved in dropping a horse and wagon 75' into a gaping hole. The driver had climbed down to see why his horse had stumbled only to find himself . . . — — Map (db m131088) HM
On December 28th of 1881 while crossing 5th St., Virgil Earp was ambushed and shot. Would be assassins hidden in a new building under construction opened fire with shotguns. Virgil was severely wounded. He survived, but lost the use of his left arm. . . . — — Map (db m48517) HM
In 1934, Robert Ripley
declares the Rose Bush
the World's Largest in the
"Believe it or Not".
The fire of May 26th, 1882, destroyed the dwellings located here. In 1885, Mrs. Amelia Adamson built the Cochise House . . . — — Map (db m125645) HM
In 1881, Nellie Cashman aided in building an adobe structure which served as a combination church and rectory; the first Pastor was Father Emmanuel P. Schneider. Another church was built in 1882 and Bishop John B. Salpointe dedicated it in 1883. The . . . — — Map (db m27916) HM
The railroad reached Tucson in March of 1880. Richard Grid had a railroad spike crafted of solid silver from the Toughnut Mine. It was presented to the President of the Southern Pacific Railroad as an inducement to bring a railroad spur to . . . — — Map (db m53401) HM
The First Protestant Church in Arizona Territory under the direction of Endicott Peabody who conducted the first services in this building on June 18, 1882.
The structure is of hand formed adobe brick, stuccoed in 1970 to protect the adobe. The . . . — — Map (db m27920) HM
In September of 1880 a new adobe structure, the Grand Hotel, opened for business. It boasted all the luxury and comfort that 1880 had to offer. It displayed Brussels carpets, a black walnut baluster, walnut furniture and rare oil paintings. John . . . — — Map (db m48515) HM
Tombstone was a mining town. Everything that happened here happened because of the lure of the silver and gold found by Ed Schieffelin in the hills of Tombstone in 1877. And so they came, the prospectors, laborers, miners, lawmen, “shady . . . — — Map (db m131095) HM
The Oriental Saloon was opened in 1880 by Milton Joyce with the gaming concessions run by Lou Rickenbaugh. The Epitaph News described it as "the most elegantly furnished saloon this side of the Golden Gate". Wyatt Earp bought a share of the gaming . . . — — Map (db m48524) HM
Architect Frank Walker designed this building in Victorian style adapted to Western Territorial. It is constructed of fired red brick. It has been in continuous service since 1882 for Mayors, Marshals and official city offices. In the 1880s it . . . — — Map (db m27918) HM
The devastating fires of 1881 and 1882 brought major changes to the Tombstone Fire Department. A new fire station was completed in 1881, a new Rescue Hook and Ladder Co. was formed, and a new water source was obtained. Thirty six miles of fifteen . . . — — Map (db m53403) HM
In 1877 prospector Ed Schieffelin searched for silver in Apache land. He was told he would only find his own tombstone. Schieffelin ignored the advice. The result was a strike worth at least forty million dollars.
This brought not only miners . . . — — Map (db m48507) HM
This was the homeland of the Chiricahua Apache. From out of the north came these semi nomadic hunters. Separating from other Apache groups in the 1690s, the Chiricahua Apache moved into southeastern Arizona. — — Map (db m100161) HM
They came when only the brave dared come: They stayed where only the valiant could stay. Born in Sweden. Americans by choice - not by accident of birth, they loved their adopted country and served her well.
Served five years in the . . . — — Map (db m28368) HM
Faraway Ranch represents a
transition from the wild, unsettled
frontier to a peaceful cattle and
guest ranch of the 20th century.
In 1887, shortly after the final . . . — — Map (db m28370) HM
On 30 December, 1951, during a routine training flight from Merced, California, to Tyndall Air Force Base, Florida, Lt. Robert G. Westlund lost his life when his F-51 "Mustang" fighter plane crashed near Sunset Peak in the Galiuro Mountains . . . — — Map (db m28414) HM
Railroad Avenue became the Commercial center for the growth of Willcox and the Sulpher Springs Valley from the time of the construction of the Southern Pacific Railroad through the area in 1880. — — Map (db m28174) HM
[Marker mounted to the left of sculpture:]
Born December 31, 1920 to Horace and Faye Allen in Willcox, Rex Elvie Allen was cross-eyed at birth.
As a young boy, Rex sang in the barber shop on this very street. He and his Dad played . . . — — Map (db m28199) HM
"Sacred to the memory of these pioneers, they came when only the
brave dared come: they stayed
where only the valiant could stay."
Lillian Erickson Riggs
Swedish immigrants, Neil and Emma Erickson married in 1887 and . . . — — Map (db m28366) HM
Built by Delso Smith as an Army Officer reception center during the Indian wars. Bought by Mr. Schwertner in 1893 and donated to the local Historic Society in 1980.
It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. — — Map (db m28418) HM
This is the only remaining original redwood frame Southern Pacific R.R. Station in Arizona. It is also the only known, original, on site, passenger depot still extant on the Southern – Trans – Continental Railroad route, between Los . . . — — Map (db m28180) HM
Built by Thomas A. Huffman. The Toggery was originally constructed as a single unit and later Mr. Huffman built the adjacent building. Huffman's Toggery was established in 1916 as part of the Commercial Development of Willcox.
Listed on the . . . — — Map (db m28200) HM
Was constructed by P. Howard Pregenzer and crew
In Memory of
P. Howard Pregenzer
Resident of Willcox, Arizona 1927-1980
Construction began in 1934 and completed in 1936
Construction sponsored by the City of Willcox, . . . — — Map (db m28415) HM