The Bluebird Mine and Gift Shop was been known as the ghost town of Goldfield since 1947. When George (Red) Monagan reopened Goldfield by reestablishing the name and town with the Bluefield Mine Pop Stand. Red gave life to Goldfield in 1947 making . . . — — Map (db m93059) HM
During its heyday from 1893 to 1898 when $1,000,000 in gold was mined from this area about 300 people dwelt here with majestic Superstition Mtn. in the background. 300 ft. south of this sign is the old Bluebird Mine found in the gold rush of 1893. A . . . — — Map (db m93058) HM
Originally called the Superstition Mining District, this district had its heyday from 1893 to 1898.
The greatest producing mines were the Mammoth, Black Queen and Bull Dog. Their output was around a million dollars in gold and silver based on . . . — — Map (db m34059) HM
This Historical Spot
1892 to 1898
was part of the Mammoth Mine claims known as the Montezuma in 1893. Then after 1910 became known as
Calamity. In 1944 this claim became known as the Bluebird.
The Bluebird Mine was found in 1893 and first . . . — — Map (db m93130) HM
Dedicated October 1961
To the Memory of
Jacob Von Walzer
1808 – 1891
One of America's most famed legendary figures, whose exploits have stimulated the imagination of peoples everywhere by his contribution to the heritage of his . . . — — Map (db m74394) HM
On September 20, 1906 the first stone was laid in place. Over the next five years, 350,000 cubic feet of block would be cut, shaped, and fashioned into the Roosevelt Dam.
The blocks of stone were carved out of the canyon walls. They were lifted . . . — — Map (db m34106) HM
This entrance marker is constructed of hand-hewn blocks which once made up the faηade of Roosevelt Dam. They were given to the Superstition Mountain Historical Society by the United States Bureau of Reclamation. The larger blocks weigh upwards of . . . — — Map (db m34060) HM
Erected Nov. 11, 1945
In Memory of the Men
of St. Peter's Mission
Who served in World War II
* Anthony Jose USA Felix Kayyittan USA Leo B. Manuel USA Leonard Pangott USA Roger Osife USA
Albert J Moreno USMC Chester J . . . — — Map (db m33700) HM
James Addison Peralta Reavis was a brazen forger who claimed over 12 million acres of Central Arizona and Western New Mexico as an Old Spanish Land grant. He and his family lived here in royal style until his fraud was exposed. From the barony he . . . — — Map (db m27209) HM
This fieldstone structure was built in 1927 and served as the First Presbyterian Church until 1970. Rocks used in the construction were gathered from the desert and hauled to town. Renovation of the sanctuary was accomplished in 1984 and now serves . . . — — Map (db m27208) HM
Who camped here Dec 20, 1846
in rout to Cal. War with Mexico.
Aaronic Priesthood Mesa 3rd Ward L.D.S.C.
Troop 57 Boy Scouts of America R.C.
Hugh Dana Sp. Joseph Moody S.M.
F.K. Pomeroy 1st Coun T. Elmer Hastings Asst . . . — — Map (db m27207) HM
He laid the foundation of the National Park Service. Defining and establishing the policies under which its areas shall be developed and conserved unimpaired for future generations. There will never come an end to the good that he has done. — — Map (db m27206) HM
The Casa Grande is the most prominent remnant of an ancient civilization that once occupied the Salt and Gila River valleys from A.D. 300-1450. Archeologists call these people Hohokam, a Pima word meaning "those who are gone."
The Hohokam were . . . — — Map (db m32438) HM
In 1879 the Southern Pacific Mail and Stage Line Company built a one-room adobe station and mesquite corral. It was a horse changing and water stop on the route from the railroad station at Picacho for passengers going to Florence and beyond. In . . . — — Map (db m68220) HM
This Sonoran-styled adobe house was built by rancher Andronico Loroρa in 1886 and it is typical of the houses built in early Florence by ranchers. The original flat roof was replaced with a pitched roof covered with tin. Loroρa lived here with his . . . — — Map (db m68358) HM
The first fired-brick building in Florence was built here in 1886 for William R Stone, District Court Clerk, later Territorial District Attorney. The next year Stone added an office where he and District Attorney Richard E. Sloan, later Judge and . . . — — Map (db m26804) HM
Completed in 1912, the Church of The Assumption is an example of the Mission Revival style of architecture. The third church built for Assumption Parish, it replaced the second church built on this site in 1884, which burned down in 1893. This . . . — — Map (db m26687) HM
Near this site on the evening of October 3, 1926, John "Button" Salmon, student body president and quarterback of the University of Arizona football team, was critically injured in a car accident while returning from a weekend in Phoenix with two . . . — — Map (db m26664) HM
Town founder Levi Ruggles built a store on this site in 1876. In 1882, it became Peter Will's Brewery. It was demolished for the construction, in 1915, of the C. G. Powell People's Store, a single-story, commercial building. Prominent Phoenix . . . — — Map (db m26734) HM
This American-Victorian (Queen Anne) house was built in 1889, by its owner Charles D. Henry. Henry was a building contractor who specialized in brick and built other houses in Florence of similar architecture. These probably included the . . . — — Map (db m71773) HM
This memorial is dedicated to the men and women who served our county in war and peace and to a significant era of rich local history.
Camp Florence, an army training facility, once occupied the grounds now known as "Four Parks".
Beginning in . . . — — Map (db m32440) HM
Built between 1886 and 1889, this Sonoran row house was the most common house type in territorial Florence. It was transformed to Spanish colonial revival in 1940. This house displays features like the stepped parapet and mission-tile canopy. During . . . — — Map (db m68385) HM
This mid-1870 commercial building was built on the corner of Main and 7th streets. This Sonoran style building is the most intact of the four remaining untransformed examples of the adobe-walled, earth-roofed Sonoran traditional design which still . . . — — Map (db m26718) HM
"The Father of Arizona"
Born April 20, 1825 — Died June 24, 1902
Native of Kentucky
Elected as first Arizona Delegate
To Congress in 1864
This Monument erected by the
State of Arizona in Conjunction with
Maricopa Chapter . . . — — Map (db m26662) HM
This two-story red-brick commercial building was constructed in 1890 for Conrad Brunenkant. The bricks were locally made, and the rock-faced cut lintels and sills are from locally quarried stone. The exterior was altered in 1973 when the porch with . . . — — Map (db m26682) HM
The western portion of this adobe brick house was built for Frank and Isabella Cosgrove in 1878. It was originally constructed with dirt floors, roof and a Sonoran corner fireplace.
During the 1890s, Theophile Nicholas "Americanized" the . . . — — Map (db m26800) HM
Built in 1890, the store originally had unplastered adobe walls, a gabled roof, and a large, commercial-style glass display front. After Denier & Richmond, the building housed the C.R. Michea Store from 1897 to 1907, and then the Michea-Arballo . . . — — Map (db m26790) HM
Built in 1874 of unplastered adobe with pitched roofs, this second Edward Nye Fish mercantile store in Florence changed hands to become the, Joseph Collingwood & Co. Store and Wells Fargo office in 1877. Collingwood, Florence's first postmaster, had . . . — — Map (db m26717) HM
Edward Nye Fish, prominent Tucson merchant, and his partner/manager Joseph Collingwood, first Florence postmaster, opened Florence's first store in this building in 1868.
Building additions from 1867 to 1888 formed a U-shaped complex, and . . . — — Map (db m26708) HM
Built for Pablo and Elena Llescas in the early 1860s, this single-story row house has two exterior walls not parallel with respect to the other walls. This indicates construction prior to the 1866 Ruggles Street Grid. This building is constructed on . . . — — Map (db m26795) HM
This 1881 Sonoran/Early Transitional adobe was home to the Elmer Coker family in 1907. A prominent cattleman and lawyer specializing in land and water rights. Coker was a delegate to the Arizona Constitutional Convention and is considered the father . . . — — Map (db m26626) HM
Emma Monk came to Arizona Territory to teach school at Fort Thomas in the 1880s. She married William Guild in 1887 and taught school in Florence off and on from 1885 to 1897 and was the first Florence principal. She also taught in Red Rock, Casa . . . — — Map (db m68337) HM
This adobe building, which was designed by Levi Ruggles and built in 1878, combines Sonoran and Anglo-American architectural features typical of Territorial Arizona. It was the courthouse until 1891 and then served as a hospital, health center, home . . . — — Map (db m32956) HM
Designed by Phoenix architects Royal W. Lescher and John R. Kibbey and completed in 1916, this neo-classical revival style structure has overtones of the Spanish revival style. The school board chose a one story as the children would have already . . . — — Map (db m26623) HM
The Florence Woman's Club was organized in 1897. In 1929, architects Lescher & Mahoney designed this Spanish Colonial Revival Style clubhouse. The original light fixtures are suspended from the ceiling, and an ornate Spanish-style fireplace is . . . — — Map (db m26746) HM
This was originally a flat-roofed Sonoran adobe built in 1875 for George A. Brown, Adamsville saloon keeper. The house served briefly as the Wells Fargo office during a rash of stagecoach robberies. "By God" Brown known for his oft-repeated phrase, . . . — — Map (db m26710) HM
This Colonial Revival adobe was the home of George Brockway and his wife Esther. Brockway was the town medical doctor, Pinal County Hospital Superintendent and Territorial Prison physician. He owned a drugstore, and in 1908 became the first mayor of . . . — — Map (db m26712) HM
In the 1870's, a flour mill and a few stores formed the hub of life in Adamsville, where shootings and knifings were commonplace, and life was one of the cheapest commodities. Most of the adobe houses have been washed away by the flooding Gila River. — — Map (db m26805) HM
March 12 1825 - Jan 11 1891
Judge- District court of New Mexico
Delegate to Confederate Congress
Arizona Mounted Volunteers CSA
Pioneer- Soldier- Statesman — — Map (db m32394) HM
The smaller adobe outbuilding was constructed by Granville Wheat and appears on an 1869 army map of Florence. The flat earthen roof was replaced with a rare mono-pitched waterproof metal roof. The original door and wood frame remain. Wheat was a . . . — — Map (db m68341) HM
This example of Early Transitional architecture combined Sonoran and Victorian elements. Built of adobe in 1880, the house was later veneered with red brick to give it a Victorian appearance. Physician William Harvey was known as an "Angle of Mercy" . . . — — Map (db m26624) HM
Dr. George Huffman built this large, two-story Bungalow-style adobe house to accommodate his family and his medical practice. Surgical rooms were located on the first floor with rooms for patients upstairs. Square pillars support full-width porches. . . . — — Map (db m32439) HM
Ignacio Manjarres was a rancher in Florence as early as 1898 when a brand was registered in his name with the county. He was a charter member of the Pinal County Cattle Growers Association. At various times he raised sheep and pigs, fruit trees and . . . — — Map (db m68360) HM
Built in 1888 for Swiss-born tinsmith Jacob Suter. Constructed of adobe brick with 20-inch-thick outer walls. The house displays a traditional Sonoran floor plan and originally included a zaguan, or breezeway. The wood mansard roof, windows, and . . . — — Map (db m26748) HM
Jesus Martinez, a farmer from New Mexico, began construction on this adobe house in 1872. Completed in 1880, the U-shaped building had a traditional Sonoran flat dirt roof and central patio enclosed on three sides. By 1890 the house was divided for . . . — — Map (db m26683) HM
In 1880, Juan Luna built this single-story, Sonoran-style adobe house for his wife and put the title in her name. According to Spanish tradition, it was the polite thing to do. The building's two L-shaped wings are one-room deep, and the original . . . — — Map (db m26791) HM
This single-story adobe, built in 1888, retains its basic integrity as an example of the symmetrical, pyramidal-roofed, Late-Transitional style. Keating was a pioneer stage driver. He served as a territorial legislator, Florence town councilman, and . . . — — Map (db m26803) HM
Called the "New Beer Hall," this single-story, mud-roofed, one-room deep, adobe Sonoran-style house was said to be "the coolest place in town" by owner John Nicholas. In 1890, the Arizona Weekly Enterprise, Florence's second newspaper, leased . . . — — Map (db m26794) HM
Designed by prominent Arizona Architect James M. Creighton, this is the oldest standing fired-brick building in Florence. Soon after completion, French-born rancher-farmer John Nicholas moved his saloon to this building in 1889. Tradition has it . . . — — Map (db m26792) HM
Built in 1878 for John P. Clum, Indian agent, editor of Florence's first newspaper, the "Arizona Citizen" and founder of the "Tombstone Epitaph."
Typical of transitional architecture, the home is a Sonoran adobe with an Anglo-influenced roof. . . . — — Map (db m26744) HM
One of a series of Craftsman bungalows on Willow Street, this was the home of the John Zellweger family. Zellweger was a founder of the First National Bank of Florence. His father and George Push owned the large Steam Pump Ranch north of Tucson. . . . — — Map (db m68339) HM
Juan Avenenti, an Italian immigrant who came to Arizona about 1870, purchased this property in 1886 from Frank M. Griffen. Previously, it had belonged to Florence pioneers Levi Ruggles and Charles Douglas. Avenenti, a grocer, butcher and rancher, . . . — — Map (db m26736) HM
This first Catholic Church in central Arizona, built in 1870 by Father Andre Echallier, was called "La Capilla del Gila". In 1883 a larger edifice commemorating the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, was constructed to the west: a convent was . . . — — Map (db m26689) HM
Civil War veteran Levi Ruggles came to Arizona Territory in 1866 as a U.S. Indian Agent. Recognizing the agricultural potential of this valley, he found an easily fordable crossing on the Gila River and surveyed a townsite here. He called the . . . — — Map (db m26709) HM
Manuel Robles made the adobes and built this house in 1881. The single-story residence is an excellent example of a modified Sonoran-style rowhouse. Originally it was an L-shaped structure with a flat earth-filled roof, then about 1913 a flat metal . . . — — Map (db m30403) HM
Built in 1925, this is an example of early 20th Century Commercial style. One of three structures in Florence designed by George Mauk of Phoenix. He was an architect movie house mogul, and U.S. marshal. This building was used as Arizona Edison and . . . — — Map (db m26733) HM
Frenchman Jean Baptiste Michea and his wife, Carmen Robles of Sonora built a 3-unit rowhouse/store on this site by 1878.
Typically Sonoran in style, it was built up to the property line, and had plastered adobe walls with an earthen roof over . . . — — Map (db m67495) HM
French-born John Nicholas built this single-story flat-roofed, Sonoran-style, adobe house along the side-street property line. Its raised foundation offered some protection from flooding. Originally rectangular, it was L-shaped in 1890 and square by . . . — — Map (db m26793) HM
Charles Debrille Poston, 1825-1902, often referred to as the "Father of Arizona", promoted territorial status for Arizona during President Lincoln's administration. Poston, motivated by silver mining interests lobbied for federal legislation to . . . — — Map (db m26661) HM
In 1876, Roderick Ross, one of Florence's first blacksmiths, constructed this Sonoran-style adobe house. The original flat earthen roof made of round log beams, saguaro ribs, and mud is well-preserved by a gable roof added between 1899 and 1910. . . . — — Map (db m131734) HM
The oldest portion of this adobe was built for Sam Kee in 1882. Typical of Sonoran row houses, this home was built on the property line and was transformed to late-transitional style in 1977 by the addition of the wood-shingled, hipped roof . . . — — Map (db m26747) HM
Built in 1876 for William Long, a partner in the Silver King Mine. Originally an unplastered, L-shaped adobe with gabled roof, the Silver King was renamed the Florence Hotel in 1890. Fire destroyed a portion of the hotel which was replaced by the . . . — — Map (db m26665) HM
This one-story, detached dwelling began as an American Victorian-style building, with walls of locally made brick and a metal-covered, timber-framed hip roof. Brick arches topped door and window openings. Bungalow-style additions included an open, . . . — — Map (db m26802) HM
This second-oldest Presbyterian Church in continuous usage in Arizona was founded in 1888. The present building was designed by architects Wallingford and Bell of Phoenix in the Spanish Colonial Revival style, with mission-type tile on the roof. . . . — — Map (db m26627) HM
The Fulbrights moved into the home on February 14, 1934 continuing to complete the house as cash became available. The adobe patio wall was completed in 1934, the outside and inside walls were plastered in 1937 and the tile roof was installed in . . . — — Map (db m71776) HM
This is the original Tony, Jr. that was used for the memorial to Tom Mix which was dedicated on December 5, 1947, south of Florence.
The silhouette was designed by Fernando Arriola. This Tony, Jr. was stolen and missing for two years. The . . . — — Map (db m26672) HM
A transformed early Sonoran adobe, this house is the only structure in Florence that has a full second story added to an adobe core. Built by W. C. Truman, the sheriff known for capturing lady stagecoach robber Pearl Heart in 1900, it was later . . . — — Map (db m26625) HM
In 1901, Aquiles Arriola opened his store here with a great variety of goods lining the store walls. Arriola's son, Gustavo, grew up to be a well-known cartoonist with his own comic strip "Gordo". He wrote in his auto biography "Accidental . . . — — Map (db m71775) HM
Originally a Sonoran adobe row house built C. 1877 for John D. Walker friend, agent, and physician to the Pima Indians at Sacaton. This building was used as courtroom and county offices during his terms as justice of the peace, county surveyor and . . . — — Map (db m68386) HM
This single-story commercial building includes a partial basement, wide-open interior spaces, and a tall, carefully detailed, Main Street store front of exposed, buff-colored, pressed brick. The other walls are composed of common red brick. A metal . . . — — Map (db m26735) HM
Built for Silver King mining engineer William Clark in 1884, this house is a prime example of cultural fusion in architecture.
The Sonoran mud-plastered adobe walls were combined with an elegant Victorian louvered bay window, prefabricated . . . — — Map (db m26737) HM
The Gila River north of this site marked the international border of the United States and Mexico from 1848 to 1854. James Gadsden negotiated to purchase 38,000 sq. miles of "wild country" for $15 million in gold. Amended to $10 million for 29,640 . . . — — Map (db m33689) HM
The Gila River north of this site marked the international border of the United States and Mexico from 1848 to 1854. James Gadsden negotiated to purchase 38,000 sq. miles of "wild country" for $15 million in gold. Amended to $10 million for 29,640 . . . — — Map (db m33692) HM
Here the first Government Indian School was established for Pimas and Maricopas in 1871, with Rev. Charles H. Cook as teacher. It was the location of Pima villages, friendly resting place for travelers during the Mexican War and the Gold Rush. It . . . — — Map (db m33688) HM
Here the first Government Indian School was established for Pimas and Maricopas in 1871, with Rev. Charles H. Cook as teacher. It was the location of Pima villages, friendly resting place for travelers during the Mexican War and the Gold Rush. It . . . — — Map (db m33691) HM
Gila River Indian Community land was selected by the United States Government as one of ten camp sites and construction was started without the permission of the community. The permit for the United States Government to use the . . . — — Map (db m34537) HM
From a Sycamore near this spot, L.V. Grime and C.B. Hawley were lynched on Aug. 24, 1882 for the hold up – murder of Andrew Hall, Wells Fargo Packer, and Dr. S.T. Vail. The culprits had a fair hearing before JP Allen on Wednesday eve, and at 2 . . . — — Map (db m34116) HM
At the outbreak of the Mexican War in 1846, President Polk directed Colonel Kearny to organize the so-called "Army of the West" and to lead it to Santa Fe and thence on to secure California. On August 18, 1846, Kearny claimed the area of Santa Fe . . . — — Map (db m34134) HM
This locomotive is a gift to the citizens of Kearny, Arizona, by the Kennecott Copper Corporation. This is a Porter Air Locomotive, used by Kennecott Copper Corporation in the original underground Ray Copper Mine. It was used to transport men, ore, . . . — — Map (db m34135) HM
Immigrant Mexican miners working for the Ray Consolidated Copper Company named the town of Sonora, built near here in 1911. It boomed as a thriving, dynamic community, rich in Mexican culture, language and traditions. In the mid-1950's, the company . . . — — Map (db m34133) HM
Isaac Lorraine, discoverer of the American Flag gold and silver mine, built this adobe house about 1877. It served as his residence and headquarters for nearby mining and ranching operations. On December 20, 1880, it became the first post office in . . . — — Map (db m29898) HM
On this site on April 14, 1912, Colonel William F. "Buffalo Bill" Cody – Pony Express rider, plainsman, Indian Wars scout, and Wild West showman – staked the High Jinks gold mine, after investing in Oracle mining for ten years. He . . . — — Map (db m70305) HM
Dedicated to those Confederate frontiersmen who occupied Arizona Territory, C.S.A., created by President Jefferson Davis, February 14, 1862. Just two months later, ten of Capt. Sherod Hunter's Confederate Cavalrymen successfully defended Picacho . . . — — Map (db m73899) HM
Juan Bautista de Anza
National Historic Trail
While the American Revolution brewed on the Atlantic Coast, Spain expanded its New World empire to protect California against the British and Russians. In 1774, Juan Bautista de Anza, commander . . . — — Map (db m82941) HM
Lieut. James Barrett – Co. A.
Private George Johnson – Co. A.
Private William S. Leonard - Co. D
1st California Cavalry Volunteers
killed April 15, 1862 at Picacho Pass.
In only battle of the Civil War
fought in Arizona . . . — — Map (db m73897) HM WM
The Mormon Battalion of the U.S. Army camped here enroute to California December 17, 1846. During the war with Mexico, on the longest infantry march of record, they were first to unfurl the flag of the United States in Tucson.
This marker . . . — — Map (db m92383) HM
Established June 14, 1887. A small conical
red peak gave Red Rock its name. Red Rock
was a major cattle shipping point via the
S.P. Railroad. This post office celebrated its
Centennial in June 1987. — — Map (db m31190) HM
Ira H. Hayes USMC
February 23rd 1992
by the Memorial Committee
Lance Lewis Director,
Shirley Lewis Coordinator
JR Currea Artist
In Country Vietnam Veterans
Post 2 Tempe Arizona
Ira H. Hayes American . . . — — Map (db m32845) HM
Military Order Purple Heart of the U.S.A.
1782 - 1932
In memory of tribal members
Military Order of Purple Heart Sun Lakes, Arizona Chapter 1958
in the year 2000
[ Lower Plaque: ]
This . . . — — Map (db m40341) HM
The Pinal Cemetery served the nearby mill town of Picketpost/Pinal (1876 to 1892), which processed the silver ore taken from the Silver King Mine. Resting here in a cross-section of people from the surrounding area: the first settlers, miners, mill . . . — — Map (db m73003) HM
A landmark and lookout point during Indian Wars; site of outpost of Camp Pinal which was located at head of Stoneman Grade to the east. Soldiers protected Pinal City and the Silver King Mine from Apache raiders. It was the home of Col. William Boyce . . . — — Map (db m34122) HM
Born in Rutledge, Tennessee, he became a self-taught construction engineer and builder of railroads. In 1909, he settled in the mining town of Superior, site of the Magma Copper Company. He opened his first drug store in Superior in 1913, later . . . — — Map (db m34104) HM
This historical trail began in 1997 when Broken Hill Proprietary Company Limited ( BHP ) donated local mining artifacts from the 120 year old magma mine to the Superior Historical Society, Inc. due to their age and size, it was determined that these . . . — — Map (db m67494) HM
Colonel William Boyce Thompson was a mining promoter, financial magnate, and Red Cross officer. He fell in love with the Picketpost Mountain area when he first visited his Magma Copper Mine near Superior and chose this spot for his winter home. . . . — — Map (db m117109) HM