Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Santa Cruz County Arizona Historical Markers

 
Fray Marcos De Niza Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, October 29, 2014
Fray Marcos De Niza Marker
Arizona (Santa Cruz County), Lochiel — Fray Marcos De Niza
. . . — Map (db m78426) HM
Arizona (Santa Cruz County), Lochiel — San Antonio De La Ossa Chapel
Erected at the foot of the family cemetery in 1958 by descendants of Don Vicente and Doña Rita Pérez Guillen De La Ossa who had voyaged from the Basque area of Spain during the 1800's to what is now Southern California. Their son Don Antonio and his . . . — Map (db m78425) HM
Arizona (Santa Cruz County), Madera Canyon — Boy Scout Memorial
Troop 301 and Venture Crew 301 cautions you to Be Prepared before you hike to the summit. In memory of the 50th anniversary of the Boy Scouts lost on November 15, 1958 David Greenberg – 12 years old Mike . . . — Map (db m73898) HM
Arizona (Santa Cruz County), Nogales — Camp Stephen D. Little
A military camp established in Nogales, Arizona, in November of 1910, was for a generation an integral part of the economic and social life of the community. The post was renamed on December 14, 1915, for Private Little killed in action during the . . . — Map (db m81716) HM
Arizona (Santa Cruz County), Nogales — Commemorating Jacob IsaacsonPioneer Settler — 1880
First postmaster of Isaacson, Arizona (Changed to Nogales June 4, 1883) — Map (db m27079) HM
Arizona (Santa Cruz County), Nogales — Grand Ave - Frank Reed School1928 - 1952
Grand Ave. School was founded in 1928 as a grammar school, grades one through eight, for the African American children of Nogales. In 1943 the school's name was changed to Frank A. Reed in honor of a former student, Frank A. Reed, who died in . . . — Map (db m27113) HM
Arizona (Santa Cruz County), Nogales — Montezuma Hotel
The Montezuma Hotel, sixty feet east of here, built in 1886, rebuilt twice, and closed in 1965, was the center of Nogales business and social life for more than half a century. The Office of owner George Christ, First U.S. Customs Collector of the . . . — Map (db m27082) HM
Arizona (Santa Cruz County), Nogales — Padre Eusebio Francisco Kino SJ
Founder of Missions Man of God Pioneer Explorer Astronomer Rancher Teacher Cartographer 1645-1711 — Map (db m27085) HM
Arizona (Santa Cruz County), Patagonia — Cady HallPatagonia Hotel
John H. Cady came to Arizona as a soldier in the 1860's and was stationed at Fort Crittenden on Sonoita Creek. Later Cady became a resident of Patagonia and in December of 1900 began building the Patagonia Hotel. He continued to add to the structure . . . — Map (db m24300) HM
Arizona (Santa Cruz County), Patagonia — John Ward's Ranch
Arizona Pioneer Johnny Ward established a ranch here in 1858. In 1861 Indians kidnapped his Mexican stepson Felix Ward. Army officers assumed that local eastern Chiracahua Apaches were responsible, leading to the infamous conflict between Lt. Bascom . . . — Map (db m24436) HM
Arizona (Santa Cruz County), Patagonia — Little Outfit School
National Historic Site The Little Outfit School was opened in 1940 by Katharine (Pete) and Buel Hutchinson and was exemplary of the ranch schools for which Arizona became famous. It provided excellent academics experience in the ideals of . . . — Map (db m78423) HM
Arizona (Santa Cruz County), Patagonia — Mowry Mine
Pioneer Producer of Silver and Lead, was worked by native labor under the direction of the Jesuits, later by Mexicans before The Gadsden Purchase. Was acquired by Sylvester Mowry in 1856. Provided some lead for the Confederacy. Nearby Ghost town and . . . — Map (db m24257) HM
Arizona (Santa Cruz County), Patagonia — Patagonia Depot
The New Mexico and Arizona Railroad which served Patagonia, was built by the Santa Fe in 1881-82 and was operated after 1897 by the Southern Pacific. The last portion of this line, terminating at Patagonia, was abandoned in 1962. The Patagonia . . . — Map (db m24108) HM
Arizona (Santa Cruz County), Sonoita — Camp Crittenden
Established August 10, 1867. Named Camp Crittenden by Generals Orders No. 57 Department of California, September 30, 1867, in honor of Thomas S. Crittenden, Col. 32nd U.S. Infantry Major General U.S. Volunteers. Camp abandoned June 1, 1873. . . . — Map (db m27114) HM
Arizona (Santa Cruz County), Sonoita — San Ignacia del BabocomariMexican Land Grant
For $380 on December 25, 1832, Ignacio Elias and his sister Eulalia purchased 123,068 acres of rangeland stretching almost to the San Pedro River on the east and to the Canelo Hills and Sonoita Creek on the west. Only 34,707 acres was allowed by the . . . — Map (db m27117) HM
Arizona (Santa Cruz County), Sonoita — AQHHMP #27 — Sonoita Quarter Horse Show and RacesAmerican Quarter Horse Historical Marker
Seeing whose horse was fastest or who had the best working ranch horse was a natural form of competition for early settlers in Arizona cattle country. So began the race and show tradition at Sonoita. The Sonoita Quarter Horse Show began at the Santa . . . — Map (db m46881) HM
Arizona (Santa Cruz County), Tubac — Baca Float Number 3
This was the northern boundary of Baca Float Number 3, one of five 100,000-acre grants made to the Baca family, in exchange for land taken from them in New Mexico. An attempt was made to relocate this grant to include mines in the Santa Rita . . . — Map (db m27152) HM
Arizona (Santa Cruz County), Tubac — Charles Debrille Poston1825-1902
Poston, known as the father of Arizona, came to Tubac in 1854 after the Gadsden Purchase and established the headquarters of a mining company, with mines near Arivaca and in the Santa Rita Mountains. Mining activities were discontinued during the . . . — Map (db m27149) HM
Arizona (Santa Cruz County), Tubac — Churches in Tubac
Several Tubac churches have stood on this site. The first, a shelter built by Jesuit missionaries in the early 1700's, was administered from Tumacacori. About 1760 Captain De Anza built a chapel for presidio soldiers. A later church was visited by . . . — Map (db m27143) HM
Arizona (Santa Cruz County), Tubac — Presidio of Tubac
Garrisoned by Spanish in 1752 First Town established in Arizona by Europeans Here on March 3, 1859 the Weekly Arizonian was published -- Arizona's first newspaper. — Map (db m68027) HM
Arizona (Santa Cruz County), Tubac — Tubac
Originally an Indian village, Tubac is the oldest European settlement in Arizona. It was established as the Royal Spanish Presidio San Ignacio de Tubac in 1752, after an uprising of Pima Indians. In 1775 Captain Juan Bautista de Anza led an . . . — Map (db m27119) HM
Arizona (Santa Cruz County), Tubac — Tubac Presidio
Here stood the original Spanish presidio or fort established as San Ignacio de Tubac after the Pima uprising of 1751. Captain Juan Bautista de Anza was in command in 1775, when he led his famous expedition to California to found San Francisco. The . . . — Map (db m68026) HM
Arizona (Santa Cruz County), Tubac — Tubac Schools
In 1789, Toribio Otero received the first land grant in this area in exchange for teaching school at his ranch. A school district was established in 1876 and in 1885 T. Lillie Mercer built this school, one of the earliest in Arizona. It was in use . . . — Map (db m27142) HM
Arizona (Santa Cruz County), Tumacacori — Mission San José de Tumacácori
Beginning and History In January of 1691, at the request of the O'odham (Pima) Indians of the Santa Cruz River Valley, Jesuit Father Eusebio Francisco Kino established the mission of Tumacácori, dedicated to Saint Cajetan (San Cayetano). . . . — Map (db m68149) HM

24 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement