Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Yavapai County Arizona Historical Markers

 
“The Famous Esclante Hotel” Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, July 8, 2010
“The Famous Esclante Hotel” Marker
Arizona (Yavapai County), Ash Fork — “The Famous Esclante Hotel”
The hotel opened March 1, 1907, and was built of steel and concrete in the Mission Style of Spanish architecture. The hotel covered a space of 420’ X 200’. Cost was approximately $115,000. On the ground floor of the structure was the lunch room . . . — Map (db m33499) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Ash Fork — Ash ForkFounded 1882
Ash Fork is located near the 35th Parallel where, in the 1850's the Army Corps of Topographical Engineers began surveying a future railroad route. Camels were imported and used as beasts of burden, adding to the colorful history of the region. A . . . — Map (db m33442) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Ash Fork — Ash Fork Maintenance Camp #1
Built circa 1926-27 by the Arizona Department of Transportation This building constructed of Moenkopi Sandstone, has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Ash Fork Camp location was selected because it is a . . . — Map (db m33443) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Ash Fork — Ash Fork, Arizona / The Coming of Route “66”
Ashfork, Arizona Founded 1882 The Coming of Route “66” 1926 Ash Fork was a junction point of the Old Trails (Route 66) and the Grand Canyon – Nogales Highways (US 89), leading to the southern sections of the state. . . . — Map (db m33502) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Bagdad — Bagdad Copper Mine
Cypress Copper ― Bagdad Corporation In memory of WJ. Pace and J.M. Murphy Who filed the Bagdad claim January 1, 1882; John Lawler who patented the claim in 1889; and the Lincoln family who developed the mine. — Map (db m31552) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Bumble Bee — Mining in Arizona
Mining was the lure that opened Arizona to Anglo-American settlement and, subsequently, led to its statehood. However, Arizona mining began with the Spanish discovery of the rich Planchas de Plata silver deposits just west of Nogales in 1736. In . . . — Map (db m40777) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Bumble Bee — The Sunset Point Rest AreaDedicated to the Engineering Achievement of — William Clayton LeFebvre, 1890-1964 —
A colorful administrator, he is credited with establishing the basic location of Arizona's billion-dollar Interstate Highway System. He served as State Engineer twice, from 1924 to 1928 and from 1945 to 1951. He devoted much of his final term to . . . — Map (db m40780) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Camp Verde — "0" Mile Post General Crook Trail
The Crook Road begins at this point with the first in a series of mile markers across the Mogollon Rim segment of the military supply trail connecting Forts Whipple, Verde and Apache. Reconnoitered in 1871 by General George Crook with a . . . — Map (db m28561) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Camp Verde — Camp Verde
The oldest settlement in the Verde Valley. Site of historic Fort Verde. The first settlers came into the valley in February, 1865, followed by the military in August, 1865. Original military and historic buildings still stand. — Map (db m40814) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Camp Verde — Fort Verde State Historic ParkThe West As It Really Was!
The Mythology of a Western Fort Fort Verde is typical of western forts built in the 1870's and 1880's but our vision of forts comes from movies. Log stockades with towers and John Wayne fearlessly firing his rifle at attacking Indians. The . . . — Map (db m40815) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Camp Verde — Pecan Lane Rural Historic Landscape
Upper Plaque: Pecan Lane Rural Historic Landscape Lower Plaque: Pecan Lane Rural Historic Landscape was added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 2, 2000. Pecan Lane played a significant part in the . . . — Map (db m27855) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Camp Verde — The Congressional Medal of Honor - Apache Campaign 1872 - 1873
The following named individuals were assigned, either permanently or temporarily, to Camp Verde, Arizona Territory. While stationed here their personal action in combat was above and beyond the call of duty, earning them the nation's highest . . . — Map (db m28593) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Camp Verde — Wales Arnold
In memory of Wales Arnold. Co. E, 5th Cal. Vol. Inft.: Scout in Apache Wars: Post trader at Camp Verde: Pioneer farmer in Verde Valley: and of his wife, the beloved ”Aunty Arnold” of all the Verde. — Map (db m100022) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Chino Valley — Del Rio Springs
Site of original Camp Whipple established December 1863 From January 22 to May 18, 1864 the offices of the Territorial Government of Arizona were operated from tents and log cabins here, before being moved to Prescott the first permanent . . . — Map (db m33444) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Clarkdale — Clark Memorial ClubhousePlaced on the National Register of Historic Places on October 29, 1982
Clarkdale was planned, owned and developed by William A. Clark of Montana, owner of the United Verde Copper Company on Cleopatra Hill in Jerome. In 1911 Clark decided to change from the extraction process of mining to an "open pit" method. Because . . . — Map (db m33200) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Clarkdale — United Verde Copper Company Smelter
The U.V.C.C. Clarkdale smelter was built through the vision of William A. Clark, owner of the United Verde Mine in Jerome. The Smelter was constructed between 1912-1915 to replace the outdated Jerome smelter. On May 26, 1915 the first furnace . . . — Map (db m33199) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Congress — Congress, Arizona
In 1863 Pauline Weaver and Abraham Peeples came from California to find gold. They found gold and the rush was on. In 1887 The Congress mine was formed and the town had a name. On March 14, 1895 the railroad came. Congress was booming. In 1910, . . . — Map (db m59977) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Congress — In Memory of Charles Churchill Small
Erected in Memory of Charles Churchill Small Member American Society of Civil Engineers 1874 [ Relief of Charles Small ] 1932 Father of Arizona Highways — Map (db m29470) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Dewey — Historic Site of Orchard RanchHome of Sharlot Mabridth Hall — (1870-1943) —
In 1890 James and Adeline Hall purchased 130 acres here above the junction of the Agua Fria River and Lynx Creek. The Halls named their homestead "Orchard Ranch" and, with the help of their children, Sharlot and Ted, produced apples and beef. . . . — Map (db m33059) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Bartlett Hotel
Before the Bartlett Hotel, the Grandview Hotel, a wooden structure built in 1895 stood here as the first two-story building in Jerome. It had rooms for dances, dining and sleeping. In 1898 the structure was destroyed by fire. The Bartlett Hotel was . . . — Map (db m33166) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Historic Audrey Shaft HeadframeLittle Daisy Mine
Largest wooden headframe still standing in Arizona, it was completed in 1918 to haul ore up from mine. Shaft is 1900 feet deep, concrete lined with cross tunnels every 100 feet to Edith shaft. Edith shaft headframe was completed in 1915 to haul men . . . — Map (db m108834) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Hotel Connor
This native stone and brick building was built in 1898. David Connor, proprietor, was an Irish-American who originally owned the Stone Saloon on the site of this hotel. In 1897 he added the second floor and called his building the Hotel Connor. . . . — Map (db m33155) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Husband's Alley
With Jerome's rough and tumble early days came the red-light district and prostitutes. Much of the red-light district was located on Hull Avenue, the road below Main Street. In 1913, reformers helped pass an ordinance restricting houses of ill fame . . . — Map (db m33154) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Jennie's Place
This building was originally a brothel known as Jennie's Place. It was built in 1898 by Legendary Madam Belgian Jennie Bauters, who came to Jerome from Belgium in 1896. This was her third building on this site. The first burned down in 1897. Her . . . — Map (db m33152) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Jerome Blast Furnace
This is one of the two old furnaces found in place on The Hampton Lode, United Verde Copper Company Mines, at Jerome Arizona on March 5, 1888 when I first visited the property. I started operation on this furnace and also the other one on May 22, . . . — Map (db m33147) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Jerome Town Hall
The original Jerome Town Hall was built in the late 1800s. The town quickly outgrew the small space and by 1929 a bond had passed to enlarge the old brick building. New construction was to be of concrete. In addition to enlarging town hall, a police . . . — Map (db m33145) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Jerome, ArizonaToo Strong to Die
The first mining claims were filed in 1876, within 20 years Jerome was a billion dollar copper mecca and one of the wildest, wickedest mining towns in the west. Drinking, gambling, brawls and frolicking with ladies of the night occurred . . . — Map (db m33149) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Jerome, ArizonaIncorporated March 8, 1899
Jerome is perched on the side of Cleapatra Hill over rich ore deposits. In 1876, mining claims and a mill were located near the town. These claims were purchased in 1882 by the United Verde Company, and the tent camp was named Jerome after Eugene . . . — Map (db m108878) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Jerome's Famous Sliding Jail
Back in 1905, the town jail was in the basement of what was then the Tony Kauzlarich House below the Dicus and Wagner Garage. Louis St. James was the magistrate and conservator of the peace. What is believed to be Jerome's 3rd jail was located . . . — Map (db m71963) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Laura Williams Memorial Park
Laura Williams owned the antique museum which housed numerous artifacts from Jerome. Laura was one of the founding members of the Jerome Historical Society and served as the Secretary/Treasurer from 1953-1974. She was an employee of Newmont . . . — Map (db m33189) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Main Street Primary School
You are standing at the second story entrance to what once was a three story primary school. The land was purchased, a bond was passed and construction began in 1913. It opened May 29, 1914 to graduate 3 seniors: Francis Lyons, Gertrude Rothermel . . . — Map (db m33191) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Mine Museum/Fashion Saloon
The mine museum, one of Jerome's oldest commercial buildings, was purchased by J.S. Hoover and A.C. Cordiner from G.A. Stoney in 1896. The building was destroyed in a fire in 1898. An architect from Los Angles built the present building with steel . . . — Map (db m33157) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — New State Motor Building
The New State Motor Company building was built of concrete in 1918 under the ownership of Dan Shea. A car dealership and show room were located upstairs and a garage downstairs. Inside the building an elevator delivered cars to the lower floor. A . . . — Map (db m33151) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Paul and Jerry's Saloon
This saloon was built in 1899 to replace the original structure that was destroyed by fire. It operated as the Senate Saloon with a Chinese restaurant downstairs. It soon became the largest gambling establishment in the southwest. During prohibition . . . — Map (db m33164) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Reese and Amster Garage
This one-half story wood frame structure with corrugated sheet metal was built in the 1920's. It was the Reese and Amster White Garage and Machine Shop. Vehicles sold by Reese and Amster included the Chrysler 50, 60 and 70 and the Maxwell Car, which . . . — Map (db m33150) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Rocket Shovel and Dragline
This piece of equipment was the first successful mining device to replace human labor in removing the rubble from underground hard rock-blasting. The Model 12B, which weighs 4,200 pounds and requires 60 to 125 pounds-per-square-inch air pressure, . . . — Map (db m122889) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Sullivan Apartments
Built in 1917, the first floor of this four-story apartment, housed the Independent Meat Company. A passage was built from the cooler of the meat company up to the apartments to allow cool air to pass into them. Originally there were nine . . . — Map (db m33190) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — The Audrey Shaft and UVX Operations
State-of-the-art Audrey shaft and headframe was the largest facility of its kind built by the United Verde Extension (UVX) Company during its years of operation. The shaft was constructed in 1918 only after the location of an extraordinarily rich . . . — Map (db m108833) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — The Childs-Irving Project - Construction Challenges
Fossil Creek and its springs provided an ideal power source for a hydroelectric power plant. The springs gushed a constant water flow of over one million gallons an hour, and the terrain of the creek allowed for a drop of 160 feet in the less than . . . — Map (db m122896) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — The Childs-Irving Project-Hydroelectric Project
In 1900 rancher Lew Turner filed a claim for the waters of Fossil Creek; a year later, he filed a claim to the spring and headwaters that fed it. Among the possible uses he listed was the production of electric power. With a constant flow of over a . . . — Map (db m122899) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — The Gibson Market
The Gibson Market was originally built as a grocery store with an above apartment in 1917 by James and Ethel Hamilton. After Ethel's husband died in the flu epidemic of 1918, she was the sole proprietor until 1929. In 1919, Ethel married Myron L. . . . — Map (db m33192) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — The Irving Turbine and Generator
In 1941, with the new United Verde Smelter in Clarkdale coming on line, the demand for power in Yavapai County was more than the Childs generating station, built in 1909, could handle. The Arizona Power Company (TAPCO) and the United Verde Copper . . . — Map (db m122897) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — The Saloon
In 1896, one of the first wooden structures built in Jerome occupied this site and was known as "The Saloon". The Saloon building survived two years before succumbing to fire, which destroyed most of Jerome in 1898. The structure was rebuilt only to . . . — Map (db m33165) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — The Svob Family
Jerome, Arizona, 1906. Ignac and Mary Svob, Croatian immigrants, arrive in town with their infant daughter, and begin a family that would become well known in Jerome for their strong work ethic, love of family, and sense of loyalty.

Left to . . . — Map (db m132966) HM

Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Whitten Printers
Carl E.C. Whitten, graduate of Jerome High School and son of immigrant parents, worked for the Prescott Evening Courier before moving back to Jerome in 1927. Carl purchased the Verde Copper News which began in Jerome in 1917. He purchased the . . . — Map (db m33163) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Kirkland — Kirkland Bar and SteakhouseKirkland, Arizona
In the late 1800's, Thomas Earnhart erected the Kirkland Store on the site of today's Kirkland Bar and Steakhouse. In the early 1900's, Louis Haselfeld assumed ownership and opened the Haselfeld Store. The original wood frame building burned in . . . — Map (db m33046) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Kirkland — Malvina Lode ClaimMineral Survey No. 4158
Site of Assay Office and way stop on road to Prescott — Map (db m33043) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Montezuma Castle National Monument — Lifeline / Prehistoric Produce
Lifeline Beaver Creek has always been a major focus of life in the Verde Valley. Prehistoric Sinagua farmers constructed Montezuma Castle and other structures near the creek. They dug ditches to carry creek water to irrigate the fields of . . . — Map (db m40868) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Montezuma Castle National Monument — Macaw Pen Stone?
Could This Stone Be The Opening to a Macaw Pen? Where Did This Stone Come From? Who Used It? Why Is This Stone at Montezuma Castle? Did the Ancient Sinaguans Possibly Raise Macaws Here? In the 15th century, near modern-day Casa . . . — Map (db m40895) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Montezuma Castle National Monument — The Community
A farming community of perhaps 200 people prospered here for more than three centuries. The Castle was home to 35 or so of these people. Archeologists suggest they may have fled what is today the Flagstaff area due to overpopulation around A.D. . . . — Map (db m40840) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Montezuma Castle National Monument — The Neighborhood / Mysterious Departures
The Neighborhood You can see Montezuma Castle and Castle A from here. If you look closely at the Cliffside, you might spot other ledges and caves used by the Sinagua. The Sinagua people who made their homes here may have been a . . . — Map (db m40869) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Montezuma Castle National Monument — The People Next Door
Here’s another “castle” – this one called “A” by the archeologists who excavated it in the 1930s. Like neighboring Montezuma Castle, Castle A was occupied by Sinagua farmers between A.D. 1200 and 1450. However, with . . . — Map (db m40863) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Montezuma Castle National Monument — The Way Up / Construction Sequence
The Way Up How in the world do you build a structure large enough to house 35 people high up on a steep canyon wall? Sound impossible? Here’s how Montezuma Castle’s ingenious Sinagua farmers managed it. Construction Sequence 1. . . . — Map (db m40860) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Montezuma Castle National Monument — Welcome to The Castle
Pause a few moments to enjoy this view of Montezuma Castle. Don't you suppose it must have stopped the settlers and soldiers who first saw the cliff-dwelling over a century ago? The odd name came from a mistaken belief that the cliff-dwelling . . . — Map (db m40819) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Oak Creek — Beaver Head Stage Station
Built 1876, Abandoned 1882 Prescott Santa Fe Stage Line Distance 507 miles Division point between Pine Springs N.E. & Prescott S.W. Road built before 1866 used by military, emigrants & mail. Only road to Verde Valley until 1870. . . . — Map (db m94810) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — 8 — Arizona Pioneer Home
To those responsible for the Arizona pioneer's home A. J. Doran Introduced enabling legislation - 1907 Supervised construction - 1910 First Superintendent – 1911 George D. Morris Reintroduced Successful enabling . . . — Map (db m32903) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Arizona Pioneers' Home
Territory of Arizona MCMX ― MCMXI Home for Aged and Infirm Arizona Pioneers Established by act of the Twenty-Fifth Legislature under the administration of Governor Joseph H. Kibbey. Erected under the direction of the Board . . . — Map (db m33047) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Bashford Block
Originally this was the site of A.G. Dunn's Butcher Shop, which provided fresh locally grown beef from Dunn's ranch. This was followed by Hubbard's drug store which was later owned by W.W.Ross. The drug store was purchased by Harry Brisley in 1899. . . . — Map (db m20292) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Bashford Burmister Company
Coles Bashford arrived in Prescott in 1864 and was the first President of the Territorial Legislature. In 1874, Coles, his brother Levi, and son William formed a partnership with Robert Burmister. The Bashford-Burmister Company became one of the . . . — Map (db m18806) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Citizens Cemetery
Citizens Cemetery was founded in early June 1864 with the burial of Colorado legislator Joel Woods. Established on public land east of Prescott and southwest of Fort Whipple, the cemetery has been known at various times as “Town . . . — Map (db m21668) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — City Jail and Firehouse
This Romanesque/Classical Revival building was constructed in 1895 and served as both a fire station (on the first floor) and the City jail (on the second). It is one of the two buildings facing the Courthouse Plaza that survived the fire of 1900. . . . — Map (db m33090) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — City Park and Ballfield
Since 1908, the area of Prescott now known as Ken Lindley Field has been used as a public park and ballfield. The land was deeded to the City of Prescott by Charles T. and Ada M. Joslin in 1922. As Mrs. Joslin requested, the City later donated part . . . — Map (db m21161) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Grace M. Sparkes1893 – 1963
There was a time when progress in Yavapai County was spelled S-P-A-R-K-E-S. Grace M. Sparkes came to Prescott, Arizona Territory, at the age of 14 in 1906. By 1911, she was working for the Yavapai County Chamber of Commerce as Secretary, a job she . . . — Map (db m33137) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Granite Creek
American History in Arizona is quite recent, although the history of the Native American, Spanish and Mexican occupation periods are much older. Encampments of Native Americans were drawn to the creeks, which offered a fairly reliable source of . . . — Map (db m33064) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Hassayampa Inn
After ten years of planning, community leaders of Prescott finally raised sufficient funds to build a modern hotel which catered to the "auto tourist" in downtown Prescott -- The Hassayampa Inn. On February 28, 1927, at the site of the former Conner . . . — Map (db m20621) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Head Hotel
Colonel C. P. Head was in the hardware business in Prescott by about 1866. By 1875, Colonel Head was involved in several businesses including hardware, lumber and a hotel. He served in the territorial House of Representatives from Yavapai County for . . . — Map (db m20296) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Hotel St. Michael
The cornerstone of historic "Whiskey Row", the Hotel St. Michael, represents the coming of age of Prescott's hostelries. Constructed on the site of the modest Hotel Burke, which burned in 1900, the new three-story hotel was designed by D. W. Millard . . . — Map (db m33065) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Hotel Vendome
The Hotel Vendome, referred to in a contemporary newspaper article as an "apartment house", was built on South Cortez Street in 1917 by J. B. Jones. An article in Yavapai Magazine in November 1917 refers to it as the "Hotel Vendome" and states "its . . . — Map (db m18862) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — J. I. Gardner Store
J. I. Gardner came to Prescott with a pack train in 1879 and opened his first mercantile store in 1883. The J. I. Gardner Store was built on this corner in 1890. Gardner's motto was "all goods guaranteed to be first class". They carried every type . . . — Map (db m41960) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — John Towhey
Stone Marker: 14 Inf. N.Y. John Towhey Wounded Here 1861 Plaque Attached to Stone: -- January 1970 -- This stone with inscription of incident was originally located on the Yavapai Indian Reservation . . . — Map (db m21966) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Knights of Pythias Building
With the exception of the Courthouse, the Knights of Pythias Building, also known as the Tilton Building, has always been the tallest building on the Plaza at 46 feet. It was dedicated on November 27, 1895, and is one of the few buildings that . . . — Map (db m21625) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Lincoln School
In early 1908, the Prescott School Board decided that a new school was needed in Prescott. On July 12, 1908, a school bond election was held and approved by the voters 119-1. In August 1908, the three acre site on Park Avenue on the west side of . . . — Map (db m33049) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Montezuma Street
The one hundred block of South Montezuma Street has long been known as "Whiskey Row" for the numerous saloons which once lined the street. As Prescott poet Gail Gardner once wrote of "Whiskey Row": "Oh they starts her in at the Kaintucky bar, At . . . — Map (db m20622) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Nob HillEast Union Street
Originally a part of the Capitol Block, which was set aside in 1864 for a Territorial Capitol Building, the south half of the block was sold at auction. John Lawler, a miner, capitalist and real estate developer, bought the entire block and built a . . . — Map (db m20618) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Pauline WeaverTruly a Great Man
Pioneer • Prospector • Scout • Guide Pauline Weaver Truly a Great Man Born in Tennessee in 1800 Died at Camp Verde June 21, 1867 He was born, lived and died on the frontier of this country, always in the ever advancing westward . . . — Map (db m33051) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Pauline Weaver1800 – 1867
Known as Prescott's first citizen, Weaver was a trapper, miner, Army Scout and friend of the Indians. He was camped near this spot in 1863 and 1864 when gold miners and government officials first entered the area. — Map (db m33052) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Plaza Bandstand
As early as 1865, Lucian Bonaparte Jewell organized a Brass Band in Prescott, but by the 1870s the regimental bands from Ft. Whipple began to dominate the local music scene. The original Plaza Bandstand, built in the late 1800s, had survived the . . . — Map (db m59299) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Prescott
Prescott, Yavapai County Seat, founded 1864 on Granite Creek, source of Placer gold. Named for William Hickling Prescott, Historian, first Gov. JN. N. Goodwin, Appointee of Abraham Lincoln. Established first territorial capital of Arizona here. At . . . — Map (db m18805) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Prescott
Founded 1864 on Granite Creek, early source of placer gold. Former territorial capital of Arizona. Now a center for ranching, mining, health, especially asthma relief. Located here on site of old Ft. Whipple is Whipple Veterans Hospital. Seat of . . . — Map (db m20298) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Prescott High School and the Yavapai Club
Three very prominent buildings once stood on East Gurley Street between Alarcon and Marina Streets – The Territorial Capital Building, Prescott High School and the Yavapai Club. Originally, the property between Alarcon and Marina streets . . . — Map (db m33095) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Prescott National Bank
The Prescott National Bank was organized by William Bashford, R.N. Fredericks and others in March, 1893. In October, 1900 Bank President Frank N. Murphy announced the construction of a new bank building on the "Old Wooster Block" at Prescott's . . . — Map (db m27224) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Prescott National Guard Armory
Prescott was one of the first towns in Arizona to have a National Guard Unit. Companies B and C of the First Territorial Rifles were organized in Prescott in 1865 and Company M of the First Arizona Infantry was organized in 1910. Company M of the . . . — Map (db m33136) HM
Arizona (Yavapai county), Prescott — Prescott Public Library
Prescott's modern public library was dedicated on May 18, 1975. However, the history of a public library in Prescott goes back to August 1895, when seven local ladies founded the Women's Club of Prescott (now the Monday Club). They gathered a . . . — Map (db m52912) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Prescott's Beginnings: The First Mining District in Yavapai County
The City of Prescott had its beginnings in the Spring of 1863 when a party of explorers and would-be gold miners led by the famed Joseph R. Walker arrived near the headwaters of the Hassayampa River. On May 10, 1863, at a location some six miles . . . — Map (db m20623) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Ruffner Plaza Stables
The Ruffner Plaza Stables were built on this lot purchased from Frank Murphy for $3,600. In May 1898, a local newspaper reported that it was "one of the most substantial as well as ornamental improvements which has been put up for several . . . — Map (db m20297) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Sacred Heart Catholic Church and Rectory
In the fall of 1878 the Sisters of St. Joseph came to Prescott. Money was raised in the community for a hospital to be run by the sisters and by 1881 the hospital had been completed on North Marina Street. In June of 1891 construction was started . . . — Map (db m21603) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Santa Fe Depot
Prescott’s first railroad arrived on December 31, 1886. The current depot was built by the Santa Fe, Prescott and Phoenix Railway, also known as the “Peavine”, in 1907. Designed in the Mission Revival style of poured concrete with a . . . — Map (db m18767) HM
Arizona (Yavapai county), Prescott — Simmons, Arizona
This is the site of ‘the crossing' on the Mojave-Prescott "Hardyville" toll road. The road was authorized by the first territorial legislature and was built by W. H. Hardy, connecting Prescott with Hardyville on the Colorado River. William John . . . — Map (db m72625) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Site of Curtis Hall/Curtis Duplex & Curtis Cottages
George W. Curtis came to Prescott from California in 1864, and in 1867 purchased an interest in a sawmill. He purchased a building on Granite Creek on South McCormick Street, and he and his brother John enlarged and modified the building in 1878. . . . — Map (db m33062) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Site of Goldwater Brothers Mercantile
The Goldwater Brothers, Morris and Michael, arrived in Arizona from California in 1876. They opened one of the area's first general merchandising stores on the southeast corner of Cortez and Goodwin (where City Hall is now located). Three years . . . — Map (db m20616) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Site of Howey's Hall
The southeast corner of Goodwin and Cortez Street was the site of Howey's Hall, which was built on the first lot sold (for $175) in Prescott by James Howey in 1876. The Goldwaters had their first mercantile store here. It was later converted to an . . . — Map (db m33092) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Site of Territorial Courthouse
The courthouse you see today, constructed in 1916 and listed in the National Register of Historic Places, is not the original one on this site. The first courthouse constructed on the Plaza, one of two city blocks set aside in 1864 for government . . . — Map (db m18132) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Site of the O'Neill/Munds House
A beautiful Victorian Cottage which faced East Sheldon Street was built on this site by W. B. Jones. On November 15, 1893, William Owen (Buckey) O'Neill and his wife Pauline moved into the house. O'Neill used a portion of the upstairs as his office . . . — Map (db m20619) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Solon Hannibal Borglum America's First Cowboy Sculptor1866 - 1922
This free-spirited Son of the West, sensitive to the changing era in which he lived, portrayed the western epic in marble and bronze. Our "Bucky O'Neill" monumental bronze is among his greatest works, and is acclaimed by art critics as one of the . . . — Map (db m21165) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — The Bank of Arizona and the Electric Buildings
A bank was an important asset to a new and growing community. Chartered by Solomon Lewis and M. W. Kales in 1877, the Bank of Arizona was the first business in the Arizona Territory devoted exclusively to banking. The partners built a two-story . . . — Map (db m20295) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — The Carnegie Library
Prescott's first library consisted of over 300 volumes brought to the Territory in 1864 by Secretary of State Richard C. McCormick. In 1870, a group of local women opened a reading room with 263 books collected from local citizens and out-of-town . . . — Map (db m20814) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — The Day Octagon
The Day Octagon is the oldest known fired brick building in Arizona. Built in 1877 by Lowell and Crouch for Dr. Warren E. Day, it is significant as the first surgical hospital in Arizona Territory, where Dr. Day pulled teeth, delivered babies, . . . — Map (db m33138) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — The Ehle Family and the Montezuma Hotel
Joseph and Margaret Ehle arrived in Prescott, Arizona Territory, on July 13, 1864 with their children, John Henry, Mary Jane, Amy E., Olive Joan, Sarah F. and Margaret Viola. Mr. Ehle helped to build the log Governor's Mansion (now part of Sharlot . . . — Map (db m33133) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — The Fire of 1900
A disastrous fire on the night of July 14, 1900 changed the face of downtown Prescott. Starting in a room in the Scopel Hotel on the southwest corner of Goodwin and Montezuma Streets, the fire quickly hopped across Goodwin Street and proceeded to . . . — Map (db m20811) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — The Historic Yavapai County Courthouse Plaza Fountain
Arriving from New York on July 13, 1910, "Lady Ermintrude" graced the Courthouse Plaza for more than 60 years. Over time, the fountain began showing signs of wear and, in 1976, was removed and placed in storage at the Sharlot Hall Museum.
In . . . — Map (db m136155) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — The International Society of Arboriculture and the National Arborist Association
The International Society of Arboriculture and the National Arborist Association jointly recognize this significant tree in this bicentennial year as having lived here during the American Revolutionary Period. 1776 1976. [Added brass . . . — Map (db m18861) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — The Mulvenon Building
Completed in August 1901, the Mulvenon Building was one of the first buildings constructed after the fire of 1900. It replaced a one-story wood-frame saloon building which was destroyed in the fire. Built by William J. Mulvenon, who arrived in . . . — Map (db m20615) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — The Palace Saloon
The exact age of Prescott's Palace Saloon is something of a puzzle. The first reliable documentation is an item from the September 21, 1877 Arizona Weekly Miner: "Mess'rs Shaw and Standefer have fitted up the Palace Saloon in the most superb . . . — Map (db m21163) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — VFW Bucky O'Neill Post No. 541
Founded in Jan. 1921 and named after the famous Rough Rider William "Bucky" O'Neill, the post is the oldest active VFW post in Arizona. Born Feb. 2, 1860 in St. Louis, Missouri, his many accomplishments include being a Lawyer, Judge, Sheriff, Editor . . . — Map (db m68732) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Washington School
The first public school in Prescott was opened in 1867. In 1876 a four-room brick public school building was erected here. It was known as the "Prescott Free Academy". In 1903 that building was torn down and replaced by Washington School. Washington . . . — Map (db m33094) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Welcome to Prescott
Founded in 1864, Prescott is Arizona's Mile High City and seat of Yavapai County government. Named for historian William Hickling Prescott, it was established on the banks of Granite Creek in 1864. Today it is the home to the Bob Stump VA . . . — Map (db m33042) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Whiskey Row — Historic Site —
By the early 1870s a full block of saloons, gambling halls and hotels made this the wildest part of town. Some of the saloons brewed their own beer and most drinks sold for 12½ (cents) each. On July 14, 1900 a disastrous fire swept the Row and . . . — Map (db m21164) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott National Forest — Cleator, Arizona
Cleator was established in 1884 as a placer gold mining site in the Turkey Creek Mining District. A post office opened in July of 1869, but closed a few months later. James Cleator came to Arizona in 1900 to prospect in the Bradshaw mountains. In . . . — Map (db m74224) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Rimrock — Chaves Historic Trail
The Historic Chaves Trail passed near this location. The Chaves Trail is named for Lt. Col. J. Francisco Chaves, First Cavalry, New Mexico Volunteers who traveled north of here April 16-21, 1864 with two officers, thirty-five enlisted men, and . . . — Map (db m132627) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — A Canyon Retreat: Mayhew Lodge
A cool canyon sanctuary at the confluence of two creeks Mayhew Lodge, constructed of hand-smoothed logs and adorned with a towering rock chimney, was a rustic retreat attracting politicians, and movie stars. But this grand lodge had . . . — Map (db m99273) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — 12 — Cook's Cedar Glade CemeteryCity of Sedona Landmark No. 12
The first burial occurred on this site in 1918. Henry Elmer Cook established the cemetery in 1933 as part of his 160 acre homestead. Many members of Sedona pioneer families are buried here including the city's namesake, Sedona Schnebly. — Map (db m94833) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — CowboysHistoric Sedona
Cattle ranching and cowboys were a major part of early Sedona life. Cattle grazed mostly on Forest Service land via grazing permits. In the early days there were no fences or corrals so the stock mixed together for miles around. Summer range was up . . . — Map (db m133520) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Early TourismHistoric Sedona
Soldiers from Camp Verde were early tourists to Sedona, enjoying the beauty, cooler temperatures and Oak Creek as a break from the camp.

As early as 1895, Lou Thomas turned Bear Howard’s cabin into a two-story hunting fishing lodge. It was . . . — Map (db m133684) HM

Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Early UptownHistoric Sedona
In early times. Uptown Sedona was a patchwork of orchards, homestead and pastures. In the late 1930s, the Jordan’s built a stone building along the highway from which to sell their fruit to the increasing traveler traffic coming down the newly . . . — Map (db m133575) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Elvis Plays SedonaHistoric Sedona
By the time MGM came to Sedona to film “Stay Away Joe” in 1967, audiences had fallen in love with the Elvis Presley movie formula. This contemporary western comedy spotlighted Elvis and other such distinguished co-stars as Burgess . . . — Map (db m133568) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — First Assembly of GodHistoric Sedona
The Pentecostal Church of Sedona met in 1932 to discuss affiliating with the Assemblies of God – it was June 1933 before the congregation was informed that they had been officially recognized by the General Council. In 1930 Pastor James . . . — Map (db m133574) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — First SettlersHistoric Sedona
The first Anglo settler in Sedona was John James Thompson in 1876. He had the advantage of finding an abandoned Yavapai garden, still bearing crops, hence the name "Indian Gardens" in Oak Creek Canyon. Three years later, the family of Abraham James . . . — Map (db m133011) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Grasshopper FlatHistoric Sedona
It is said that the area now known as West Sedona was originally known as Copple Flat, named for B.F. Copple who was an early settler in Oak Creek Canyon. He arrived in 1875 but did not stay long. After he left the area, the flat became known for . . . — Map (db m133005) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Heart of SedonaHistoric Sedona
The original ‘heart’ of Sedona was the location of our first hotel, first post office, first school, first store, first church services, first patented homestead, and first institutional employer – the US Forest Service.

Near the town’s . . . — Map (db m133517) HM

Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Jessie "Bear" HowardHistoric Sedona
In California, conflicts between sheepherders and cattlemen were common. In a dispute, Jessie Jefferson Howard accidently killed a sheepherder. After turning himself in he was sent to San Quentin. Jessie was able to escape and came to Oak Creek . . . — Map (db m133515) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — John Wayne & His Sedona ConnectionHistoric Sedona
His first time as producer John Wayne was to also star in the film “Angel and the Badman”. He had been to Sedona to film his 1944 movie “Tall in the Saddle”. The owner of the local film outfitter and catering company invited . . . — Map (db m133680) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Little Horse Park/Chapel of the Holy CrossHistoric Sedona
Little Horse Park, now called the Chapel area, was originally a mixture of private and US Forest Service property. Lee Piper homestead there and Otto Hallermund held the Forest Service-issued grazing permit for the area – part of the Sedona . . . — Map (db m133690) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Movie ProductionsHistoric Sedona
The first film shot in the Sedona area was Call of the Canyon, based on Zane Grey’s novel of the same name. This 1923 silent film was shot on location in Oak Creek Canyon near the site of Mayhew’s Lodge, and exposed the scenic wonders of the red . . . — Map (db m133562) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — OrchardsHistoric Sedona
Sedona’s earliest permanent settlers planted fruit trees as they arrived along Oak Creek. Apples and peaches seemed to grow well along with apricots and plums. Grapevines didn’t take as long to mature as fruit trees so the Schuerman’s planted grapes . . . — Map (db m133679) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — RoadsHistoric Sedona
The Army's presence in Camp Verde contributed to settlement and roads in the Verde Valley area. A road came from Jerome to a stagecoach stop several miles south of town. West of the stop, a road crossed the creek and came into our area, not yet a . . . — Map (db m133025) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Sedona Fire & Police DepartmentsHistoric Sedona
In its' early days as a small, scattered and isolated settlement, Sedona had few emergency services.

In 1948 the Sedona School burned to the ground. This motivated the new Chamber of Commerce to start a "Firefight Fund". Sedona blacksmith and . . . — Map (db m133032) HM

Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Sedona Heritage MuseumHistoric Sedona
The Sedona Heritage Museum opened in 1998. It focuses on the history of the pioneer settlers of the greater Oak Creek area and those related historic themes that contributed to the settlement and development of Sedona.

The Museum is housed in . . . — Map (db m133693) HM

Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Sedona Historical SocietyHistoric Sedona
The Sedona Historical Society is a non-profit organization whose mission is to research, preserve and teach the history of the greater Sedona area. The Society plays an active and important role in local historic preservation and in displaying and . . . — Map (db m133688) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Sedona SchneblyHistoric Sedona
By 1900, about 15 homesteading families called this area home. T.C. Schnebly was an enterprising young man who owned 80 acres, where his home also served as the area’s first hotel and general store. He saw a need for regular mail service, so . . . — Map (db m133570) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — The Artist of SedonaHistoric Sedona
The theme of arts and culture is a prominent one in Sedona for the period following World War II. Today, no city of its size in America has a finer arts pedigree than does Sedona. Home to both the Cowboy Artists of America and the Sedona Arts . . . — Map (db m133573) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — The First SchoolHistoric Sedona
The Sedona area’s earliest schools were built and run by residents without government support. The first school was a one-room building at the Schuerman property on Red Rock Loop Road in 1892. Olive Welch was the teacher and there were seven . . . — Map (db m133565) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Van Deren Cabin
This 43 acre parcel was originally homestead by Bill Fredericks, a local known for his "good whiskey." In 1924 he sold land to Earl Van Deren. Earl moved the north cabin from Sterling Canyon sometime between 1924 and 1929. Then in 1930 Van Deren . . . — Map (db m132975) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Wilson Mtn. TrailNational Recreational Trail
Richard Wilson was an old bear hunter who lived at Indian Gardens. In 1885 he was killed by a large grizzly bear in what is now known as Wilson Canyon. — Map (db m99272) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Seligman — Beale Wagon RoadSeligman, Arizona
From 1857 to 1860 Lt. Edward F. Beale and a crew of 100 men built the first federal highway in the southwest. The 1857 Beale Expedition used 22 camels and dromedaries for pack animals. This road went from Fort Smith, Arkansas to Los Angeles, . . . — Map (db m32206) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Seligman — Delgadillo's Snow CapRoute 66 Roadside Attraction
Juan Delgadillo built the now famous Snow Cap in Seligman, Arizona in 1953 out of scrap lumber. — Map (db m119929) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Yarnell — Peeples Valley Pioneer Cemetery
Column 1 Johnson 1865 • John Fry 1877 • Wycoff • Anna M. Smith 1880 • Baby Hamilton 1883 • Joseph Hodge 1885 • Thomas Hodge 1892 • Aggie Hodge 1892 Column 2 Maggie Hodge 1892 • Lillie Hodge 1892 • Jerry Holbrook 1892 • . . . — Map (db m29469) HM

136 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement