Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Chicot County Arkansas Historical Markers

 
Chicot County Courthouse with marker on far right. image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, October 17, 2015
Chicot County Courthouse with marker on far right.
Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — G18 — Chicot County County Seat
The county seat of Chicot County was located at Columbia in 1823, where it remained until 1855. The county took its name from Point Chicot, on the Mississippi. — Map (db m89773) HM
Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — Chicot County Confederate Monument CSA 1861 - 1865
Front (West side) "To the Confederate soldiers of Chicot County, the record of whose sublime self sacrifice and undying devotion is the proud heritage of a loyal posterity." Rear (East side) We care not . . . — Map (db m90255) WM
Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — Col. Charles A. Lindbergh
Col. Charles A. Lindbergh Made his first night flight here April 1923 — Map (db m89780) HM
Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — Colonel Charles A. Lindbergh
In April 1923 Lindbergh, then an unknown 21-year-old mail pilot, experienced engine trouble and landed his airplane on the now-abandoned golf course behind this site of the old Lake Village County Club. He remained in Lake Village overnight. During . . . — Map (db m89779) HM
Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — Italian Immigrants On Sunnyside Plantation
In 1895 Austin Corbin, a New York banker and land developer, working with immigration officials brought 100 families from north central Italy to grow cotton at Sunnyside, a plantation located between the Mississippi River and Lake Chicot. These . . . — Map (db m89774) HM
Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — 79 — Lakeport in the Civil War
Side 1 When Arkansas went to war in 1861, Lycurgus and Lydia Johnson and their family stayed with their home at Lakeport. By 1862, U.S. gunboats were common on the Mississippi River, and on Sept. 6, 1862, Confederate troops burned 158 . . . — Map (db m89797) HM
Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — Lakeport Plantation House
Side 1 The Lakeport Plantation house was constructed circa 1859 for Lycurgus and Lydia Taylor Johnson. The skilled craftsmanship and lasting character are testaments to those who built the house. It is preserved in remembrance of all who . . . — Map (db m90491) HM
Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — New Hope Missionary Baptist Church
Jim Kelley, a slave, organized this church in 1860. His owner allowed the use of this plot of this plot of ground on which to build a church. On May 15, 1873, Mr. and Mrs. William B. Street deeded the property to the trustees of the church. New Hope . . . — Map (db m89777) HM
Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — Saunders-Pettit-Chapman-Cook Plantation Home
This home was built about the year 1848 for John H. Saunders and his wife Martha A. Pettit Saunders. During the Civil War engagement at Ditch Bayou in 1864 the house was used as a hospital for soldiers of both armies. A number of military dead were . . . — Map (db m107737) HM
Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — The Battle at Ditch Bayou
It is the morning of June 6, 1864. Rain has created a muddy mess. To your left are four cannon. To your right are 600 cavalrymen and two more cannon. These men served under Confederate Colonel Colten Greene. To your front is Ditch Bayou, and 700 . . . — Map (db m90432) HM
Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — The Casualties at Ditch Bayou June 6, 1864
The battle at Ditch Bayou was a Federal effort to drive Confederates away from the Mississippi River, where the Confederates had been harassing Union shipping. Even though the Confederates were outnumbered here, they were able to inflict heavy . . . — Map (db m90418) HM

11 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement