Many small towns once existed in the area now covered by Lake Ouachita. Settlers first came to the upper Ouachita River valley in the decades prior to the Civil Way to establish homes, farms and businesses, creating communities such as Cedar Glades . . . — — Map (db m108929) HM
Constructed 1891 in as dry goods and grocery store until 1915. Utah Apts above and restaurant below. Became the Apple Apts and Dixie Coffee Shop in 1840's. Recently was Magnolia Gift and Night Train Lounge. Remodeled apartments 1992.
Wheatley . . . — — Map (db m102704) HM
Constructed in 1891 as a clothing store by Simon Meyer, one of the most successful merchants in the late 1890's. In 1923 Rosa Meyer opened a dry goods store and later the Walkowitz General Store. Most recently the Oyster Bar restaurant.
Wheatly . . . — — Map (db m102708) HM
When illness threatened to end his Hall of Fame career prematurely in 1928, Al Simmons came to Hot Springs to take the baths and hike in the mountain trails. The visit worked wonders, and, encouraged by legendary Athletics' manager Connie Mack, . . . — — Map (db m116056) HM
Bathhouse Row is the historic heart of an American spa. Since the 1830s the city of Hot Springs has channeled much of its energy into becoming a national health resort. The Federal Government made “taking the waters” available to all by . . . — — Map (db m61775) HM
Ruth trained here nine times and became a very familiar face around Hot Springs. He hiked the mountains, took the baths, played golf, patronized the casinos, and visited the racetrack.
On March 17, 1918 (St. Patrick's Day), he launched a . . . — — Map (db m102588) HM
The buildings along Bathhouse Row are the latest stage in a succession of bathhouses. In the 1830s Hot Springs’ earliest facilities were makeshift shelters perched over individual springs. Later, elaborate Victorian bathhouses flourished along the . . . — — Map (db m61774) HM
Discovered while playing in Hot Springs, Arkansan Bill Dickey joined the New York Yankees in 1928. Batting .313 and slugging 202 home runs during his Hall of Fame career, he was best known for his rocket arm, fierce competitiveness, and cerebral . . . — — Map (db m116080) HM
Many baseball historians regard Ewing as the greatest all-around 19th century player. He came to the Army-Navy Hospital in Hot Springs in 1892, seeking medical advice for his sore throwing arm. On March 19th, after successful treatment, he hit a . . . — — Map (db m102685) HM
From its opening the handsome Buckstaff Bathhouse aggressively promoted its image. To gain customers the owners mounted a huge sign on the roof to attract people from the large hotels a block away. Other bathhouses lost character as they modernized, . . . — — Map (db m61793) HM
Near this spot around the year 1790 stood the first hotel and bath house built in the Hot Springs Territory. To mark the site of the first permanent citizen, the host of this tavern, JOHN PERCIFUL, reputed to have been a revolutionary soldier. This . . . — — Map (db m102954) HM
This field, also known as Fordyce Field, was constructed in 1912 by the Hot Springs Park Company to meet the demand of over 250 major leaguers training in Hot Springs. The Philadelphia Phillies’ owner Horace Fogel, leased the field for his team. The . . . — — Map (db m102584) HM
Inspired by the spas of Europe, Colonel Samuel Fordyce opened this Renaissance Revival bathhouse in 1915. With its copper-framed glass marquee and elegant window design, the Fordyce reflects a crowning achievement of the Golden Age of Bathing.
Its . . . — — Map (db m61771) HM
Front of Obelisk
Born in Boston, Mass., came to Arkansas in 1826 to be printer for the Arkansas Gazette. In 1882 he moved to Hot Springs and in a two room log cabin established a general store, post office and lending library. He served as . . . — — Map (db m116351) HM
No player left a bigger legacy in Hot Springs
than "the Flying Dutchman.” He enjoyed the baths
and all the activities Hot Springs had to offer,
he also participated in civic functions and coached the high school basketball team.
Honus . . . — — Map (db m130003) HM
After 1877 when the title to the springs was finally vested in the federal government by the Supreme Court, Congress began to take an active interest in the Hot Springs Reservation. In 1921 the Reservation officially became Hot Springs National Park. — — Map (db m103164) HM
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. Arkansas Historic Preservation Program. Department of Arkansas Heritage. — — Map (db m130032) HM
Hot Spring's reputation as a health and recreation resort attracting the rich and famous was certainly true in the late 1800's and well into the 20th century. The city had fine hotels, lively nightclubs, a beautiful mountain . . . — — Map (db m102952) HM
You are facing the only statue of Kenji Miyazawa outside of Japan. We are grateful to the Miyazawa family for permission to erect it here. It is our hope that you will appreciate his body of work, including the message contained in this poem, and . . . — — Map (db m130033) HM
The present masonry Lamar Bathhouse, completed in 1923, has a symmetrical, California style of architecture. The large lobby contains nostalgic murals of historic landscapes, and country scenes.
Art Deco stairs, signs, and lights decorated the . . . — — Map (db m61777) HM
From humble beginnings in Maryland's coal region, Robert "Left" Grove became baseball's greatest left-handed pitcher. Using his blazing fastball and fiery temperament, he won 300 Major League games (31 in 1931) and 108 International League games. In . . . — — Map (db m116503) HM
This Hall of Fame outfielder, tutored by "Mugsy" McGraw, played his entire career with the New York Giants, hitting 511 home runs. On his thirtieth birthday, March 2, 1939, in an intra-squad game here at Whittington Park, "Master Melvin" belted . . . — — Map (db m102764) HM
Built in 1923 as the Woodmen of the Union Building, this hotel, bathhouse, and performance venue quickly became the center of African American culture in Hots Springs. It housed virtually every great Negro League player and entertainer who visited . . . — — Map (db m116147) HM
Most Major League players of the early 20th century had few inhibitions and many enjoyed gambling during training trips to Hot Springs. Among the most popular casinos in the city were the Southern Club, built a few doors to the right in 1893, and . . . — — Map (db m102678) HM
The mission style of the Ozark Bathhouse may relate to the claim that Spanish explorer Hernando de Soto visited the hot springs. The building’s twin towers are strictly decorative. On Bathhouse Row, the Quapaw, the Fordyce, and Hale Bathhouses, with . . . — — Map (db m61794) HM
The Caddo, Quapaw, and Choctaw tribes lived in or visited the area during the 1700s and 1800s. This edifice pays homage to their lasting influence. The owners named the bathhouse for the Quapaw Indians, and incorporated an Indian head design over . . . — — Map (db m61795) HM
More than 300 persons met in the Grand Opera House, 200 Central Avenue, and formed
The General Council of the Assemblies of God. From this beginning the Assemblies of God
has grown to more than 66 million adherents in 252 countries, territories . . . — — Map (db m102765) HM
The State Capitol of Arkansas
When Federal troops
advanced on Little Rock,
Governor Henry Massie Rector
moved his staff and records here.
Erected by the Garland County Association
Arkansas . . . — — Map (db m122573) HM
After training in Hot Springs in 1912, twenty-two-year-old Smoky Joe Wood compiled a 34-5 record and led the Boston Red Sox to a victory in the World Series. On March 28, 1913, Smoky pitched five scoreless innings at Whittington Park versus the . . . — — Map (db m102574) HM
Legendary Hall of Fame Slugger Stan Musial often visited Hot Springs to prepare for one of his twenty-two stellar seasons in major league baseball. Stan would come with his St. Louis Cardinal teammates and owner August Busch to take the baths, and . . . — — Map (db m116048) HM
More baseball was played in the ballpark on this corner than anywhere else in Hot Springs. Built in 1894 and used until 1942. Whittington Park, later named Ben Johnson Field, was the epicenter of baseball in Hot Springs. A partial list of those who . . . — — Map (db m102604) HM