Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Washington County Arkansas Historical Markers

 
Battle of Cane Hill Arkansas Marker image, Touch for more information
By Robert Macoubrie, May 2006
Battle of Cane Hill Arkansas Marker
Arkansas (Washington County), Cane Hill — The Battle of Cane Hill Arkansas
Late in November 1862, Gen. John S. Marmaduke with 2,000 cavalry occupied Cane Hill Ridge. Gen. James G. Blunt with 5,000 cavalry and infantry and 30 pieces of artillery met them at dawn Nov. 28, 1862. Retreating slowly, making stands at . . . — Map (db m66696) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Cane Hill — Washington County Cane Hill College
Cane Hill College, the first collegiate institution of learning established in Arkansas was founded here by Cumberland Presbyterians on October 28, 1834. The following persons were named by the founders as the board of trustees: Col. John . . . — Map (db m66703) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville — Archibald Yell — In Memory Of
Born near Salisbury, North Carolina, Aug. 1797 Volunteer in Battle of New Orleans, 1815 Member of Tennessee Legislature, 1827 Grand Master of Masons in Tennessee, 1831 District Judge of Arkansas Territory, 1832-1836 Charter Member of . . . — Map (db m59891) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville — Butterfield Stage Route
This tablet marks a part of the Butterfield Stage Route from St. Louis to San Francisco 1857 – 1860 — Map (db m59888) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville — Evolution of Fayetteville
The earliest known inhabitants of the hardwood forest of the Ozarks migrated to Arkansas over 12 thousand years ago through the Great Bering Strait. For the next two thousand years Bluff Dwellers hunted the mountain plateaus before the Quapaws, . . . — Map (db m59882) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville — Fayetteville Center Square
The Fayetteville Square served as the location of the Washington County courthouse from 1837 to 1904, when a new courthouse was built facing Center Street on College Avenue. Title to the public square (Block 27) was conveyed to the United States . . . — Map (db m59879) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville — Fayetteville's Earliest Methodist Church
Fayetteville's earliest Methodist Church Stood on this site 1840 – 1899 The Methodist Episcopal Church in Fayetteville was organized in 1832. The modest frame building of 1840, destroyed by fire during the Civil War, was . . . — Map (db m59875) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville — First Confederate Company Organized in Washington County
Near this spot a flag was presented to the First Confederate Company organized in Washington County Co. E, 2nd Cavalry Reg’t Arkansas Volunteers Capt. T.J. Kelly May 1861 — Map (db m59902) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville — Guisinger Building
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m59895) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville — James William Fulbright
President of University of Arkansas 1939-1941. U.S. Representative 1943-1944. U.S. Senator 1945. Delegate to the United Nations 1954. Author of Fulbright Resolution for International Cooperation 1943. Originator of Fulbright . . . — Map (db m59915) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville — Lewis Brothers Building
. . . — Map (db m59904) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville — Mrs. Young Block
. . . — Map (db m59903) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville — Purple Heart Memorial
Purple Heart Memorial Combat Wounded Veterans Dedicated May 20, 2005 — Map (db m78035) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville — Reiff House — 1834 - 1951
This Ante-Bellum Home was built on land granted to Washington County by an Act of Congress to build a court house, entitled “An Act for the Relief of Fayetteville, in the Territory of Arkansas,” and signed June 26, 1834 by . . . — Map (db m59911) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville — Replica of the Statue of Liberty

With the faith and courage of their forefathers who made possible the freedom of these United States

The Boy Scouts of America

dedicate this copy of the Statue of Liberty as a pledge of everlasting fidelity and and . . . — Map (db m92306) HM

Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville — Revolutionary War Soldier Memorial — (1775-1783)
In Memory to those soldiers who fought for American Independence during the Revolutionary War. These Veterans of the American Revolution came to live and died in Northwest Arkansas Names in left column: Benton . . . — Map (db m21227) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville — Significant Dates in Fayetteville History
Significant dates in Fayetteville history include: Incorporated town in 1836; Old Wire road from Jefferson City, Mo. to Ft. Smith cut in 1835; Washington County Fair first held on the Square in 1856; first telegraph installed around 1860; . . . — Map (db m59877) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville — The Chosin Few
Dedicated to the brave men who survived their entrapment at the Chosin Reservoir, North Korea, in that bitterly cold winter of 1950 ... who refused to leave behind "their heroes," the dead and wounded. Who proved again . . . — Map (db m21102) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville — The Razorbacks
Following a 16-0 victory over LSU in Memphis on Nov. 13, 1909, the University of Arkansas football team was greeted at the Fayetteville train station across the street by a crowd of fans and students. Arkansas was 5-0 after the win and would . . . — Map (db m59912) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville — The State and Land-Grant University of Arkansas
The University of Arkansas came into being under the Morrell Land-Grant College Act of 1862, through which federal land sales established colleges devoted to “agriculture and mechanic arts,” scientific and classical studies, and . . . — Map (db m59913) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville — The Stone House
This house was built in 1845 by Judge David Walker. He sold it in 1850 to Stephen K. Stone, whose family lived here during and after the Civil War. A solid shot from Fagan’s Confederate Battery on October 3, 1864 pierced the west wall of the . . . — Map (db m59910) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville — Will Rogers — To The Memory Of
Whose heartfelt understanding of his fellowman made possible the planning of this avenue February 1931 — Map (db m59914) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Fayetteville, — 936 Field Artillery Battalion
Dedicated to those who served and those who waited HQ & HQS Battery Austin, Carl D. ∙ Baldwin, Alvin E. ∙ Bartle, Billy J. ∙ Blake, Harold G. ∙ Blood, Rueben S. ∙ Bohannan, Billy W. ∙ Brown, Marion E. . . . — Map (db m62976) WM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — 8 — 26th Indiana and 37th Illinois Infantry
The 26th Indiana Infantry and the 37th Illinois Infantry made another attack up the ridge. Colonel John G. Clark, 26th Indiana, U.S.A., wrote: "The regiment was ... ordered on the left of the 37th Illinois...Soon after...they were ordered to . . . — Map (db m35421) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — 2 — 29th Arkansas Infantry
Brothers Columbus and Ad Gray of Company D, 29th Arkansas Infantry, withstood the first Union assault and counterattacked with Sergeant Ad Gray in the lead. Columbus Gray wrote home after seeing his brother fall mortally wounded: "I stopped, . . . — Map (db m35430) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — Archibald Borden House
The heaviest casualties were around the Archibald Borden house and orchard. The first house was burned the day after the battle. Mr. Borden built this house on the site of the original in 1872. Charles W. Walker, 34th Arkansas Infantry, recalled: . . . — Map (db m35365) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — Battle of Prairie Grove — December 7, 1862
The battle on this field was fought between the Confederate army of General T.C. Hindman (Arkansas) and Federal forces commanded by Generals James G. Blunt (Kansas) and F.J. Herron (Iowa). Battlefield Park occupies the approximate center of the . . . — Map (db m35248) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — Battlefield Park
The original 10 acres of Battlefield Park were purchased in 1908 by the Prairie Grove chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy and maintained by the U.D.C. for nearly 50 years as a memorial park. From 1886 to 1926 an annual reunion of . . . — Map (db m35272) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — 3 — Blocher's Arkansas Battery
Blocher's Arkansas Battery was the focal point of the Union attacks. A sergeant in the battery reported: "...The enemy advanced upon us with their artillery, under cover of their infantry, until within range of our battery when they opened a most . . . — Map (db m35411) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — Blunt's Attack
From this spot the observer is viewing the terrain over which General James G. Blunt's 1st Division advanced on the afternoon of December 7, 1862, to attack the Confederate left and relieve the pressure on General F. J. Herron's 2nd and 3rd . . . — Map (db m35329) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — Cumberland Presbyterian Church
Site of the first Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Used as a hospital during the battle of Prairie Grove 1862 marked by Prairie Grove Chapter U.D.C. 1930. — Map (db m88394) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — General Shaver's Headquarters
During the Battle of Prairie Grove Gen. Robt. G. Shaver established his head- quarters under this tree Dec. 7, 1862 This spot marked by U.D.C. June 20, 1932. — Map (db m35332) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — Generals James G. Blunt and Francis J. Herron
General James G. Blunt General Blunt of Kansas commanded the First Division of the Federal army in the battle of Prairie Grove. He was made Brigadier General in April 1862 and given command of all Kansas troops. His army was at Cane Hill . . . — Map (db m35277) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — Herron's Attack
From this spot the observer is viewing the fields over which General F.J. Herron's army advanced on the morning of December 7, 1862, to attack the Confederate position on this ridge. Because the ford of the Illinois River was under artillery fire, . . . — Map (db m35415) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — Hindman Hall Museum — National Register of Historic Places
(Upper Plaque):This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior (Lower Plaque): Hindman Hall Museum At bequest by Biscoe Hindman, son of General Thomas C. Hindman . . . — Map (db m35253) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — Historic Wall
The circular stone wall that encloses the Battle Monument is built of stones from historic structures of Washington County. Some 40 communities are represented, including the pioneer settlements at Cane Hill, Cincinnati, Viney Grove, Rhea's Mill, . . . — Map (db m35360) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — 9 — Lieutenant Colonel John C. Black
Lieutenant Colonel John C. Black, 37th Illinois Infantry, ordered the retreat of his regiment and the 26th Indiana to a fence at the foot of the ridge. There, the men faced a Confederate counterattack. Captain William P. Black, brother of Lieutenant . . . — Map (db m35423) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — Major General Thomas C. Hindman
Thomas C. Hindman commanded the Confederate army in the battle of Prairie Grove. He was born 1828 in Tennessee. Served in the War with Mexico, later moving from Mississippi to Helena, Ark. Was elected to Congress in 1859. In 1861 he entered the . . . — Map (db m35275) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — March of the Armies — December 3-7, 1862
General Hindman on the Arkansas River planned to drive General Blunt's Federal army out of northwest Arkansas. The Confederate army left Van Buren on December 3. Enroute north, Hindman learned that Blunt had called for help from General Herron at . . . — Map (db m35255) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — Morrow House — Confederate Headquarters
This house, built about 1855, was the home of the John Morrow family, and originally stood on Cove Creek 9 miles south of here. On the night before the battle of Prairie Grove, Confederate General T.C. Hindman met with his division and brigade . . . — Map (db m35361) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — Rhea's Mill — Battle Monument
This tower was the chimney of Rhea's Mill, which stood 6 miles northwest of this spot. The mill was operated by the Federal army before and after the battle of Prairie Grove. General Blunt's supply train was at Rhea's during the battle, under guard . . . — Map (db m35276) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — The Dead of Prairie Grove
The men who died on this field on December 7, 1862 are buried in the soldier cemeteries in Fayetteville. 700 unknown Confederate soldiers are in the cemetery maintained by the Southern Memorial Association on East Mountain. The Union dead are in the . . . — Map (db m35416) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — The Lord's Vineyard
This 2-story log house and out-buildings were erected by John Latta about 1834 on Evansville Creek, 12 miles southwest of this spot. The Latta settlement was called Vineyard from "The Lord's Vineyard." Vineyard was the first postoffice in Washington . . . — Map (db m35363) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Prairie Grove — West Battlefield Overlook
(Panels from Left to Right) (First Panel): At the time of the battle, Nancy Morton lived with her parents in the William Morton house west of this location. When the fighting intensified in the area, the Mortons and three other families . . . — Map (db m35434) HM
Arkansas (Washington County), Springdale — Fitzgerald's Station
Here on this, the Old Wire Road, was located Fitzgerald's Station on the Butterfield Overland mail route from St. Louis to San Francisco. First trip 1858. Last 1861. Longest and best conducted mail route in the world. 2795 miles. Service twice . . . — Map (db m59950) HM

45 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement