Bedrock mortars were made by Native California Women. The cup shapes were worn smooth by repeated pounding and grinding for use in processing food. Both the Washoe and Miwuk Tribes traversed and summered in this high Central Sierra Region. Although . . . — — Map (db m10998) HM
This Sierra Crossing used by Jedediah Smith 1821 - Major John Ebbetts 1850 - Snowshoe Thompson 1856-76 - Gold Seekers 1850's. Old road left Carson Pass Road in Hope Valley, crossed Border Ruffian Pass to Hermit Valley, Pacific Summit and through . . . — — Map (db m10730) HM
About 200 yards offshore, in what was once Silver Valley lies the Reynold’s House. This house appears on an 1878 General Land Office map and was probably one of the many road houses along the route that catered to tourists and travelers. Reynold’s . . . — — Map (db m10999) HM
In 1849 Dr. James Caples passed through here on his way to California’s gold country.
After a brief stay in Old Hangtown (Placerville) Caples remembered the lake and returned here with his family to establish a way station that served weary . . . — — Map (db m11048) HM
Below this ridge is what some pioneers dubbed the “Devils Ladder.” A name reflecting the steepness and extreme difficulty that pioneers experienced as they began their ascent over the Sierra Nevada. This climb was usually referred to as . . . — — Map (db m21284) HM
This building has been the pioneer home of the Kirkwood and Taylor families since it was built by Zachary Kirkwood in 1864. This building was one of the first resorts operated in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. — — Map (db m100580) HM
On this spot, which marks the summit of the Kit Carson Pass, stood what was known as the Kit Carson Tree on which the famous scout Kit Carson inscribed his name in 1844 when he guided the then Captain John C. Fremont, head of a government exploring . . . — — Map (db m100568) HM
At this point in August 1849, a group of Odd Fellows nearing their goal, the California gold mines, paused in their struggle up these granite walls, to paint on this and adjacent boulders their names and the three links of the Great Order they so . . . — — Map (db m100569) HM
In February of 1844, John C. Fremont led a group of men over these mountains as they struggled to reach Sutter’s Fort. Little did they know that the pass, which lay 20 to 30 feet under the snow beneath them, would be a major route for the Gold Rush . . . — — Map (db m21278) HM
Here the Old Emigrant Road of 1848 swung down across the meadow now covered by Caples Lake (Twin Lakes) and climbed along the ridge at the right to the gap at the head of the valley. From this summit (9,460 feet) it descended to Placerville. This . . . — — Map (db m100570) HM
“…there ought to be a shaft raised to Snow-Shoe Thompson: Not of marble; Not carved and not planted in the valley, but a rough shaft of basalt or of granite, massive and tall, with top ending roughly as if broken short, to represent a life . . . — — Map (db m12028) HM
In 1849 Mary Jane Walker Caples, along with her brother, husband James, and baby daughter Isabella, traveled overland by wagon to the gold fields of California. The Caples went to “Hangtown,” (Placerville,CA) to seek their fortune. James . . . — — Map (db m44987) HM
This building was designed by Frederic J. DeLongchamp, a designer and engineer of mining, born in Reno, Nevada, on June 2, 1882 and educated in Nevada. He designed 500 buildings, libraries, hotels, and post offices in the counties of the State of . . . — — Map (db m635) HM
The construction of this historical complex was initiated in 1964, "Alpine County's Centennial Year", by the Historical Society of Alpine County. With concerted effort and fortitude it was completed and duly dedicated as a historical landmark on . . . — — Map (db m3088) HM
Originally built in 1862 as the Fiske House in Silver Mountain City. It was dismantled, board by board, in 1886 by A.M. Grover and a crew of men. Each board was marked and many of the old square nails were saved. It was re-erected on this site and . . . — — Map (db m20631) HM
Summer after summer the Washoe Indian people visited the valley. Eventually their idyllic retreat was discovered.
During the winter of 1844 Captain John Fremont may have seen this place during his crossing of the Sierra. Fremont’s diary of his . . . — — Map (db m11001) HM
Named after Major John Ebbett and pointed out in 1853 to surveyor G.H. Goodard who referred to it as a “route of great promise – probably the best one for a transcontinental railway.”
No emigrant train used this route but a . . . — — Map (db m11444) HM
Telltale signs of geologic activity surround Grover Hot Springs State Park. Bold granite peaks to the northwest are the work of immense mountain building forces. Old lava flows cover hundreds of square miles to the east, giving the Markleeville area . . . — — Map (db m13239) HM
In 1856 a road was completed following the present sign route 4 from Murphys to this point, and thence northward via Faith and Charity Valleys to Hope Valley where it joined the Carson Pass Road. This connection was used by emigrants in 1856 and . . . — — Map (db m10316) HM
On August 2, 1885, fire broke out in the Town of Markleeville destroying several buildings, including Harvey and Rask’s Bucher Shop and Smokehouse. Later on in the Fall, the building was rebuilt and reopened as Rask’s Butcher Shop.
The building . . . — — Map (db m11963) HM
In 1875, the Alpine County seat was moved from Silver Mountain (Kongsberg) to Markleeville. A new jail being needed, a foundation was laid using logs. The iron cells from the old jail were placed thereon and using the mortise and tenon method the . . . — — Map (db m3007) HM
Built by the citizens of Markleeville in 1882 it remained in operation until 1929 when the new Webster School was completed. In 1966, with the old school on the verge of total destruction, the Historical Society of Alpine County began to raise funds . . . — — Map (db m3006) HM
Settled by Scandinavian miners in 1858, - then called Kongsberg. Renamed Silver Mountain in 1863 and made county seat of Alpine County Aug. 11th, 1864. During the Sixties, the town supported a post-office, two newspapers, express office, telegraph . . . — — Map (db m58786) HM
This marks the home of John Albert Thompson (Snowshoe Thompson) great pioneer of the Sierras and hero of the mountains, who for twenty winters carried the mail over the deep snow of the mountains on his long skies: Giving help to those in need along . . . — — Map (db m21302) HM
John A. “Snowshoe” Thompson (1827-1876) Native of Norway who carried mail across the Sierra Nevada on skis, assisting the needful for twenty years, dwelt and died on this site.
Dedicated on June 30, 1990
Native Sons of the Golden West . . . — — Map (db m21301) HM
This building was designed by Frederic J. DeLongchamps, a designer and engineer of mining, born in Reno, Nevada, on June 2, 1882, and educated in Nevada. He designed 500 buildings, including schools, courthouses, commercial structures, and . . . — — Map (db m3089) HM
During the initial five weeks of its operation in 1860, an important remount station of the famous Pony Express was located a few feet from here at Cary’s Barn.
This monument erected by the Historical Society of Alpine County.
National . . . — — Map (db m100571) HM
Historic Woodfords Station, the Eastern Sierra gateway to the goldfields of California, way station of the famed Pony Express, and entrance to Carson Pass on the Emigrant Trail to the Sacramento Valley. Beginning in 1849 with the building of the . . . — — Map (db m100572) HM