The first internment in the Amador City Cemetery was 1851 with the last being in 1892. There are many more graves than indicated by the marble headstones. Some graves were never marked and others utilized hand carved wooden markers. During the . . . — — Map (db m17020) HM
The mine was first worked as the Rancheria Mine in 1853. Was renamed the South Mayflower in 1893. It was organized in 1899 as the Bunker Hill Consolidated Mine and operated till 1922, producing $5,154,382 in gold. The shaft reached 3440’ on an . . . — — Map (db m44619) HM
Present two story brick structure was completed in 1879. Designed as a mercantile store, then converted to hotel and boarding house to accommodate local miners and travelers. Remained in operation until 1927. Walls at the base are twelve bricks . . . — — Map (db m9005) HM
Founded in 1851 from many claims. One of the most profitable and longest running mines. Joining with South Spring Hill Mine working till 1942. East shaft worked until 1952. Reached a depth of 2680'. Employed 100 men and produced $24,000,000 in gold. — — Map (db m26037) HM
Founded in 1851 working continuously till 1893. Purchased by Keystone Company in 1920 and connected to it. Closed in 1942. Contained 3 shafts: South Spring Hill 1200’, Tallisman 600’, and Medean at 600’ deep. Produced $1,092,472 from . . . — — Map (db m44608) HM
Owned by the Treasure Mining Company of San Francisco. Founded prior to 1867. Sometimes called the Hazard Mine. Shaft reached 3030’ on the incline with winzes. Was connected to the Bunker Hill Mine to the south at the 1600; level. Produced . . . — — Map (db m44620) HM
Rich placer mining, 1850’s. Origin of town’s name: Lack of water in nearby creek to wash gold. Many Chinese laborers in fields & mines. East gateway to New Chicago, New Philadelphia, Amador City; Quartz mines: Fremont-Gover & Treasure (1867), Bunker . . . — — Map (db m74124) HM
Founded 1848. Oldest town and first in which gold was discovered in Amador County. Its venerable town hall and other picturesque structures remain. Was not "dry" as name implies, containing 26 saloons at one time. — — Map (db m100575) HM
Founded prior to 1867 as the Loyal Lode Mine. The Fremont-Gover Company formed in 1872 and worked the Gover in the 1880’s and ‘90’s. The Fremont shaft was sunk in 1903 including a 40 stamp mill continuing in operation until 1918. Reopened in 1937 . . . — — Map (db m8433) HM
This plaque is dedicated on September 10, 1960 by the ancient and honorable society of E Clampus Vitus to honor the memory of the early miners, both placer and quartz, of Amador County on the Mother Lode in California.
It marks the place where in . . . — — Map (db m10851) HM
Settled by Missourians 1849. Suggested that settlement be called Fiddletown because residents “were always fiddling”. Changed in 1878 to Oleta but original name later restored. Once trading center for American, Loafer, and French Flats, . . . — — Map (db m100577) HM
California Historical Landmark
—— Fiddletown-Oleta ——
Settled in 1849 by a party from Missouri. According to tradition they were always fiddling, especially while waiting for the rainy season—hence the name..... It . . . — — Map (db m2539) HM
Hiram C. Farnham built this home for his bride, Eunice Haynes. It overlooked the creek and steam powered sawmill that he built with James McLeod in 1853 to serve the new rich gold strike in Fiddletown. The boomtown was served by six stagecoaches a . . . — — Map (db m41369) HM
In the mineral rich Ione Valley, between Ione and the southern Mokelumne River, where once mining communities like, Lancha Plana, Camp Opra and Camanche dotted the maps, is the town of Buena Vista. Situated at the intersections of two thoroughfares . . . — — Map (db m101437) HM
Buena Vista's store and house situated in Jackson Valley, was built by John Fitzsimmons, then sold to Sam Cook, then to James Norris and afterwards to Jacob and Verona Strohm. Once situated in Lancha Plana it was moved by the Chinese who discovered . . . — — Map (db m10189) HM
General merchandise store built by Daniel Stewart in 1856. First brick building erected in Ione Valley from nearby Muletown brick. Ione, once known as "Bed-Bug" and "Freeze-Out” was an important supply center on the main road to the Mother . . . — — Map (db m100587) HM
Built in the 1860’s of Ione Brick by Brewers Raab and Huttner. Served as a Brewery for Over 30 Years. In 1907 C.C. Prouty Moved His Creamery to this Site. A Soda Works and Ice Plant Were Installed in 1910. Various Businesses Have Occupied the . . . — — Map (db m15825) HM
Originally built as the three story commercial hotel in 1864, razed by fire and re-built as a one story building in 1930. Remodeled in 1966 by the City of Ione as its City Hall.
David S. Mason III
Jack Gasawawy • . . . — — Map (db m2373) HM
Michael C. Bohl, Mayor • Bobbie Potts, Mayor Pro Tem • Gary Beck, Councilman • Jim Brazil, Councilman • Loreta Tillery, Councilwoman
Randy L. Johnsen, City Administrator • Janic Traverso, City Clerk • Guy Reynolds, . . . — — Map (db m2376) HM
The first high school in Amador County was erected on this spot in 1903 by the Ione Academy, a private corporation. The original two-story frame structure, built at a cost of $2,287, housed the school until 1939. As a result of the steady growth in . . . — — Map (db m94743) HM
This building, built in the year of 1854, was originally a hardware store on the ground floor and a dance hall on the upper floor.
Ione Parlor No. 33, N.S.G.W. bought the building in the year 1884 and has continuously owned it and met here . . . — — Map (db m2380) HM
In 1876 Ione’s Annual Picnic moved from Shakeley Hill to this location. The 100 acre park is part of an 1840 land grant and was leased to the city by the Howard Estate May 11, 1967. The park during it’s early years hosted many of the important horse . . . — — Map (db m42400) HM
Looking North from this monument lies 5.22 acres which was originally deeded to Ky Kee, Hop Wah Chung, Quong On Long and Chang Hang Co. in 1883. Known as Chinatown, the community was comprised of stores, homes and a Joss House. At the peak of . . . — — Map (db m42397) HM
Old No. 7 was the last steam locomotive to operate over the Amador Central Railroad between Ione and Martell. The twelve mile long railroad lies entirely within Amador County and is one of the shortest railroads in this country. Iron Ivan is a fine . . . — — Map (db m2371) HM
In 1848, Mexican Settlers from Sonora, Mexico established a camp on the north back of the Mokelumne River and called it Sonora Bar. At the start of the California Gold Rush miners flocked to the Mokelumne River and set up camps and towns along its . . . — — Map (db m126094) HM
The cornerstone was laid in 1862. Constructed of locally fired brick, the church was completed in 1866. Dedicated as “Ione City Centenary Church” and later popularly known as the “Cathedral of the Mother Lode.” The church was . . . — — Map (db m100582) HM
The “castle,” built in 1890–1894, is the most significant example of Romanesque Revival architecture in the Mother Lode. It was built to house the Preston School of Industry, established by the State Legislature as a progressive . . . — — Map (db m100594) HM
Quincy, located approximately 1 1/2 miles east of here off Mule Creek, was one of the cities within the boundaries of Rancho Arroyo, or the grant, that suddenly appeared in the early 1850's.
Don Andreas Pico purchased the grant from Teodosio . . . — — Map (db m94747) HM
Property settled by J. P. Martin in 1848. Home built circa 1852. Purchased in 1882 by William Scully, who arrived from Ireland in 1854. The Scully family has owned and operated the ranch for five generations. Present owners are Robert and Etta . . . — — Map (db m42398) HM
Built circa 1863, this imposing residence with its classical columns, two-storied gallery, French window and fan transom, is an important local representative of the Greek Revival tradition in America. The house, constructed of locally fired brick, . . . — — Map (db m94748) HM
Judge Smith proclaimed Jackson the Seat of Justice after Clerk Collier canvassed the votes of the May 1851 election in which 1224 votes were cast for Moquelumne Hill and 1014 for Jackson. An armed party from Moquelumne Hill pursued Judge Smith to . . . — — Map (db m27499) HM
Erected by the Citizens of
Amador County California in
A native of Jackson,
Born July 30 1854
Died November 17 1923
District Attorney, State Senator, United States Congressman, United . . . — — Map (db m72067) HM
Very Reverend Archimandrite Sebastian Dabovich
The First Administrator of the Serbian Church In America – Born in San Francisco on June 21, 1863 – Died November 30, 1940 in the Monastery of Zitcha at the Age of Seventy-Seven. — — Map (db m13966) HM
Argonaut Mine, discovered 1850, and Kennedy Mine, discovered 1856, played dramatic roles in the economic development of California. They produced $105,268,760 in gold. Kennedy Mine has a vertical shaft of 5,912 feet, the deepest in the United States . . . — — Map (db m100586) HM
On the hill to your right stand the remains of the Argonaut Mine gallus (headframe), beneath which 47 miners were lost when a fire broke out deep in the main shaft on August 27, 1922. At that time the Argonaut was one of the deepest gold mines in . . . — — Map (db m94781) HM
World’s oldest profession
flourished 50 yds east of
this plaque for many years
Until this most perfect
example of free enterprise
was padlocked by
[ERECTIONS is an . . . — — Map (db m29341) HM
Home (built 1859) of Armstead C. Brown (1816 – 1902) & son George until 1947. A.C. Brown was a lawyer, first president of Jackson City Trustees, state assemblyman 1863 – 66 & 1860 – 70, county judge 1876 – 78. Gave land to . . . — — Map (db m27683) HM
Excelsior Parlor #31 was organized near this site on June 28, 1884. The building was the site of See & Marshall’s Circus lot in 1851, the Fireman’s Hall from 1850 through 1862 and Mat Ryan’s Saloon until purchased by the Native Sons of the Golden . . . — — Map (db m71556) HM
They traveled here from family hearths throughout the world to mine Sierra’s treasures from the Golden Mother Lode.
O’er claims where stood raw shacks and sailcloth tents the woodsmoke curled,
while pick and shovel, pan and sluice marked where . . . — — Map (db m42497) HM
In 1848, was a village of huts and tents called
by the Mexicans from the bottles strewn about by those who tarried here.
In 1849, it was named
for Colonel Jackson an early day resident.
In 1853, Amador . . . — — Map (db m72060) HM
This trusty bell served Jackson
faithfully for over 70 years.
Located in tower near courthouse.
Warning of fire or other peril.
Dedicated July 8, 1989 by
Amador County Historical Society
Excelsior . . . — — Map (db m19750) HM
Viewpoint: 50 yards west, Two of the richest gold mines in Amador County, both reached depths of over one mile. Worked until 1942. Kennedy produced $28.5 million, the Argonaut $ 25 million. Notice headframes west toward Highway 49 and tailing wheels . . . — — Map (db m44586) HM
Gold changed an entire way of life in California during the Gold Rush. In 1860 Andrew Kennedy and three partners filed 4 mining claims of about 600 feet long. Two shafts were started near what is now Highway 49. The shafts were started, which . . . — — Map (db m101351) HM
The first major environmental project of mother lode mining. Entered on the National Historical Register July 7, 1981, through the efforts of Clyde Berriman on behalf of the City of Jackson. — — Map (db m71568) HM
In the late 1850’s, Andrew Kennedy discovered gold in an outcropping of quartz. The mine produced over $34.2 million in gold, making it one of the richest gold mines in the world. With a depth of 5,912 feet, it was the deepest mine in North America . . . — — Map (db m19797) HM
On this site in 1905, a double jack drilling contest took place. A 31 ½ inch hole was drilled in this granite in 15 minutes. The contest was won by Matt Thomas & Pete Vasilovich. — — Map (db m10777) HM
Started about 100 years ago as Ryan’s Station. In 1888 became known as Martell’s Station. This was the main terminal for stagecoaches from Amador County gold mines. Large shipments of gold bullion were made from Martell’s Station to San Francisco, . . . — — Map (db m70230) HM
The Massa Tunnel was dug in the 1850’s on Massa Brothers' land. The tunnel extends 126’ into the east vein of the Mother Lode. Little gold was found. The Kennedy Mine acquired the property in 1898. It and the Argonaut mined the richer west vein . . . — — Map (db m44587) HM
In memory of Elmer Bacheller, James Clayton, Evan Ely, William Fessel, Charles Fitzgerald, Ernest Miller, Arthur and son Charles O'Berg, and Bert Seamans who died August 28, 1922 in the Argonaut Mine Fire — — Map (db m94757) HM
In memory of Peter Bagoye, Rafaelo Baldocchi, Domenico Boleri, Eugene Buscaglia, John Caminada, Peter Cavaglieri, Manuel Costa, Paul Delonga, A. Fazzini, V. Fideli, Simone Francisconi, Battista Gamboni, Timothy Garcia, Maurice Gianetti, Giuseppe . . . — — Map (db m94774) HM
Founded and active in the 1880’s. 10 stamp mill and a 640’ shaft. Re-opened 1921 till 1929. 20 stamp mill and a 2,291’ incline shaft. Tailing dam north to Raley’s. Produced $564,624 in gold.
Nearby Mines: South Jackson, Fern, Kearsling, . . . — — Map (db m44582) HM
The Order or Native Daughters
of the Golden West
was organized on these premises
The site of the
on September 1, 1886.
This tablet is placed
In memory of
the founding of the order
Ursula Parlor No. 1, . . . — — Map (db m28039) HM
Voters on July 17, 1854, selected Jackson as the county seat of the new County of Amador, born that June 14 after a spirited election. Fulfilling their promise, the Jackson town trustees, at no county expense, financed construction of the first . . . — — Map (db m27910) HM
On September 18, 1857, Congregation B’nai Israel of Jackson dedicated on this site the first synagogue in the Mother Lode. High holiday worship continued until 1869 when the larger Masonic Hall was used to accommodate the congregation. The wooden . . . — — Map (db m100588) HM
St. Sava Serbian Orthodox Church was erected in 1894. It is the first Serbian Orthodox church built in the U.S. Rev. Sebastian Dabovich, first Priest in this parish. Born in S.F. & reared in nearby Plymouth. Inspired his people in the early 1890’s & . . . — — Map (db m11514) HM
Under This Tablet Is
The Court House Well
Dug in 1851, 52 feet in depth
For generations it was a main
source of domestic water
for the community.
“Gone is the ancient equipment
but still the living water flows.” . . . — — Map (db m27908) HM
- The Kennedy Mine -
You are standing on property that once belonged to the Kennedy Mine. The Kennedy Mine is named for Andrew Kennedy, who reportedly discovered a quartz ledge in the late 1850s. The Kennedy Mining Company was formed in 1860 . . . — — Map (db m72070) HM
Known as the National Hotel from 1913 to 1962, this hostelry is built over double springs at which earlier gold seekers stopped to refresh themselves. It has been in constant operation since 1862 and has served as a focal point for “community . . . — — Map (db m27670) HM
This monument marks the site of a spring that refreshed the early travelers into this region. So many bottles were found around this spring that some Chilean miners called the site "Bottileas" or place of the bottles, the first name by which the . . . — — Map (db m21371) HM
The Foothill Station became the first University of California qualifying outlying station funded jointly by federal, state and local county sources in March 1888. The station was developed under the patronage of Senator A. Caminetti of Jackson. . . . — — Map (db m72065) HM
Prominent in the mining world through his work at the Zeile, Kennedy, Argonaut & other Mother Lode mines, 1881 – 1929. His public spirit and mechanical skills led to many improvements in Jackson’s streets and bridges.
First Mayor of Jackson, . . . — — Map (db m27978) HM
Dedicated to the pioneers
of California by the
Kit Carson Mountain Men
of Jackson, Amador County
June 18, 1949
An estimated $100,000,000 in
gold was handled
by this office.
Plaque provided by
Wells Fargo Bank
Union Trust . . . — — Map (db m27859) HM
First structure on site built in 1851. Bar portion of building erected in 1856 as drug store. Wells Fargo Express Agency moved to store briefly in 1887. Two story section built in 1858, used as a general store. Easterly one story section built in . . . — — Map (db m27857) HM
The William J. Paugh House, also known as Rosewall, is a very pure example of a Gothic Revival House. The style was most popular during the 1840's and 1850's. It was built in the late 1850's by Charles L. Parish, artist, architect and builder. . . . — — Map (db m28067) HM
Founded in the 1860’s as the Coney Mine, operated continuously from 1875-1914. Later sold to Kennedy. Incline shaft 1865’ deep. Total production $5 million. Note powder house on road to the east. — — Map (db m44585) HM
Has served Jackson Gate since
The California Gold Rush
Has been placed on the
of Historic Places
By the United States
Department of the . . . — — Map (db m33376) HM
Broken dreams and hope, carried 2000 miles through scorching deserts and over loft mountains. At last...the sight of the promise land. Those of you who visit this grave carry a torch of love and hope (which this young girl lost), and pass it on, to . . . — — Map (db m100573) HM
Mormon-Carson Pass Emigrant Trail, the heavily-travelled gateway to California gold fields, was blazed in 1848 by discharged members of the Mormon battalion traveling east to join their families.
Five hundred Mormon volunteers, recruited in . . . — — Map (db m10824) HM
This marker is made up of three separate panels.
From a narrow dirt wagon road to a scenic byway, the Carson Route has evolved over time to meet the needs of generations of travelers and our changing means of . . . — — Map (db m45050) HM
Raymond Peter Plasse arrived 1850 in San Francisco. Mined gold at Volcano & Aqueduct. In 1853 started a trading post (now site) on Emigrant Road near Wester’s Gap. & a log cabin (now used at Silver Lake. Traded supplies & fresh livestock with . . . — — Map (db m21249) HM
This campsite on the Kit Carson Emigrant Trail was a resting place for California settlers. It was named by members of the Mormon Battalion enroute to Salt Lake Valley. Three of their men, serving as advance trail scouts, were murdered here by . . . — — Map (db m21273) HM
This newspaper was started in Volcano October 27, 1855. It was moved to Jackson in April, 1857. The Amador Ledger is the fourth oldest weekly newspaper in California and the oldest in Amador County. This building became the new home of the Amador . . . — — Map (db m44139) HM
Michael (“Mike”) Tovey, Wells Fargo Messenger was killed and DeWitt Clinton Radcliff, stage driver injured on this spot, June 15, 1893, by a lone bandit who attempted to hold up the regular six-horse stage on the old Ione - Jackson Stage . . . — — Map (db m41555) HM
Chaw’se is the Miwok word for a mortar hole. The cup-shaped depression in a grinding rock was used to process acorns and other seeds into food by pounding and grinding with a cobblestone pestle.
The hole or chaw’se began as a . . . — — Map (db m71895) HM
Prospectors in 1849 traveled from the Mokelumne River through Clinton on the way to the diggins in Volcano. In the early 1850’s the camp of Clinton became a market town, supplying the placer miners of the middle and southern forks of Jackson Creek, . . . — — Map (db m100578) HM
The semi-subterranean assembly and dance house was the largest structure in the principal village or capital of the tribelet and was owned by the headman.
The sacred hun’ge was the community center for dances, meetings, social . . . — — Map (db m71894) HM
In addition to the bedrock mortars, over 363 petroglyph designs are carved into the surface of the marbleized outcropping of limestone. This association of rock art and grinding pits is unique in California. Except for one other small site, Chaw’se . . . — — Map (db m71896) HM
Late 1854, in a grove of tall pines Albert Leonard built his Pine Grove Home & Inn & was first postmaster. It was located at the junction of stage roads to Jackson and Clinton.
Pine Grove post office was established July 12, 1856. First school . . . — — Map (db m10505) HM
A lifelong fourth generation rancher from Ione with summer ranges in the mountains near Kirkwood, Benny Brown made his first appearance in this arena in 1951 at the age of 13. The event was cattle penning. His mother was his partner, and he won it. . . . — — Map (db m42453) HM
Was a mining camp about 1852. Plymouth proper began with quartz mining when settled early by Green Aden & other hard rock miners. Town was named Plymouth, probably after nearby Plymouth Mine. Post Office established 1871. Many town fires, most . . . — — Map (db m41349) HM
D’Agostini Winery was started in 1856 by Adam Uhlinger, a Swiss immigrant. The original wine cellar, with walls made from rock quarried from nearby hills, hand hewn beams, and oak casks, is still in use and part of the present winery. Some original . . . — — Map (db m100585) HM
Boys of World War I
W.H. Pritchard •
A. Kretcher •
J.R. Hyland •
T. Trelese •
B. Packard •
R. Pew •
C.P. Sevey •
L.E. Walton •
L. Jack •
T. Pinder •
Pioneers . . . — — Map (db m44137) HM
Founded in 1852 from several claims and consolidated in 1883. Sold to the Argonaut company in 1925 and closed in 1943. Empire workings reopened 1946-47. Pacific shaft 4450’ deep. Total production $13,500,000. Mines north to Cosumnes River: Aden, . . . — — Map (db m44622) HM
This bell called the children of Shenandoah Valley to school. The school district was first named Williams after the family with the most children, then changed to Shenandoah in 1916. In 1952 with the creation of the Oro Madre School District . . . — — Map (db m10350) HM
Dedicated to the early Shenandoah Valley pioneers & their descendants. They mined gold & produced grain, livestock, orchards & vineyards in these rolling hills. Nearby are the old school, used for 100 years, and now a social center, and the cemetery . . . — — Map (db m10639) HM
1914 This is the approximate year that this structure was rebuilt to be the Arcade Bar. During Prohibition a soda and candy shop operated for a handful of years here. In the early 1940’s the building was converted to the “Sportsman’s . . . — — Map (db m44132) HM
The Wheeler Brothers Store was founded by Lester Wheeler and his brother Verne in 1924, and was originally across the street. In 1928 they moved to this location (at left) eventually replacing the smaller store and a saloon next to it with a . . . — — Map (db m44134) HM
Built in the 1870’s, the Norton-Popovich home contains the city’s first telephone, installed in 1896. Virgil Norton was postmaster of Sutter Creek from 1914 – 1931; son John was an engineer at Knight Foundry. The current owner’s father, Sam . . . — — Map (db m42405) HM
Amador County, carved from Calaveras and El Dorado, was organized July 3, 1854, at the crossroads of Sutter Hill.
Act of Legislature, May 11, 1854, set June 17, 1854, as election date for people to vote on such a division, and appointed five . . . — — Map (db m11222) HM
This hotel is a member of the State of California 100 Year Club and was opened for business in 1860. Bellotti Inn is one of oldest hotels still in continuous operation serving travelers in the State of California. The earliest hotel opened on this . . . — — Map (db m29819) HM
Erected circa 1860 by Theresa and Constantino Botto. Originally a Granary. Saloon for Central Eureka Miners Through the 1920’s. Second Wood Story Torn Down in the 1980’s. Placed by Janet Friedberg, Botto Descendent.
Amador County . . . — — Map (db m15827) HM
Established in 1869 by Carlo Soracco, the store and adjoining residence were copied from similar buildings in Genoa, Italy. Carlo’s son, Frank, one of Amador County’s leading citizens, became proprietor in 1894. C. Soracco Co. was a major supplier . . . — — Map (db m57992) HM
Was begun here in the early 1850’s as the Badger and later the Summit Mine. It consolidated with Hayward’s old Eureka Mine in 1924 as the Central Eureka Company, Amador Consolidated Mines. The main shaft reached a depth of 4,965’. It was the last of . . . — — Map (db m13084) HM
This site is named in recognition of the gift by W.D. "Dick" and Marge Cribbs to the city of Sutter Creek on April 6th, 1964. This land was given with the stipulation it be developed for municipal purposes including the construction and . . . — — Map (db m106334) HM
Eastern Shaft of the Wildman Mine located at the Post Office site. Used as an air chute and hoist shaft to dispose of waste rock later used to pave roads. The mine founded by William T. Wildman, circa 1851 — — Map (db m12601) HM
Impulse turbines, also known as high pressure water wheels, were first developed in the foothill gold fields of Northern California to produce rotating mechanical power. Early water wheel designs were produced by Donnelly and Knight foundries of . . . — — Map (db m106398) HM
Who mined here and gave Sutter Creek its name and under whose regime gold was discovered.
Also to those pioneer mothers, fathers and miners of the Mother Lode, which has produced millions is gold.
This rock used in Mother Lode Champion hand . . . — — Map (db m13407) HM
Who Died in World War I G. Bulaich • J.A. Cuneo • F.S. Ferrari • B.L Flitcraft • B.F. Forbes • LT. Griesabach • P.W. Hamm • J.R. Hyland • A. Kretcher • G. Koprivica • R.E. Noce • R. Pew • W.H. Pritchard • S.C. Quirollo • R. Rugne • C.P. Sevey • . . . — — Map (db m85621) WM
Typical of old country stores at the turn of the century. Opened in 1898. Over its counter and from its shed, the Monteverde Family offered for sale all manner and description of merchandise. The emporium served as a meeting place for housewives, . . . — — Map (db m8975) HM
Knight Foundry was established in 1873 to supply heavy equipment and repair facilities to the gold mines and timber industry of the Mother Lode. Samuel N. Knight developed a high speed, cast iron water wheel which was a forerunner of the Pelton . . . — — Map (db m100590) HM
Knight Foundry Scarifier, Patent No. US 1665277 A, was developed in 1926 and patented in 1928 by Daniel (Dan) V. Ramazzotti, owner of Knight Foundry, as an improved mechanical ripper for removing uneven surfaces and ruts from roads. With the advent . . . — — Map (db m106423) HM
A man of tremendous ambition, Leland Stanford, Sr., was one of California’s most distinguished businessmen, politicians, philanthropists, and proponents of education. Lured to California by the Gold Rush in 1852, he became an owner of Sutter Creek’s . . . — — Map (db m12610) HM
The front building built in 1860. The opera house was built on back in 1892 by John and Michael Levaggi, early pioneers and stone masons from Italy. Bricks used were kilned east of Sutter Creek and hauled to the site by twelve mule team. Amapola . . . — — Map (db m29814) HM
First (1851) quartz mine & mill in Sutter Creek on Amador Road. Leland Stanford financier, politician and benefactor controlled this mine (1859-1872). Under Supt. R. C. Downs it proved a bonanza, aided Stanford to join the builders of the Central . . . — — Map (db m42409) HM
Founded in 1851 as Amador #2. Renamed the Union Mine and finally the Lincoln Mine by new owner Leland Stanford. Worked until 1924, producing $2 million. Consolidated with Wildman- Mahoney Mines. Foundations and dump remain. — — Map (db m44607) HM
Sutter Creek, California
Like many communities in the Sierra Foothills, Sutter Creek grew out of the great gold rush of 1849. Thousands of men of every nationality arrived seeking fortunes through toil, sweat, and luck. . . . — — Map (db m106380) HM
In 1851 first building to be erected on south part of site, was Hanford and Downs General Store. That stores Liberty flag pole, marked center of incorporated town, 1854. In 1865, most of building destroyed by fire. Purchased in 1875 by Giovanni B. . . . — — Map (db m10744) HM
Founded in early 1850’s by Alvinza Hayward, owner of the Badger and Wolverine Mines. Earned $65,000 a month, reaching a depth of 2,250 in late 1800’s. Shaft sunk to 3,500 feet in 1916. In 1924 was purchased by Central Eureka Company. Closed in 1942 . . . — — Map (db m44606) HM
Associate of Leland Stanford, Pioneer, Miner, Legislator, Businessman. Sailed around Cape Horn on clipper ship Tahamaroo in 1849. Established the first deep quartz mine, The Union, with E.B. McIntyre, S. Hanford & N. Drew in 1851. Became . . . — — Map (db m29829) HM
On September 4, 1854 Sutter Creek was declared by Judge Marion Gordon an incorporated town. Sutter Creek's limits were one mile square. The center was "The Liberty Flag Pole", atop Main Street (Little Humbug Hill) where the Native Sons Hall stands . . . — — Map (db m94113) HM
The jail was built in 1908 to replace the original jail that was destroyed by a fire started when an unidentified inmate set his mattress on fire and burned to death. Sutter Creek and Amador County shared the cost of the new cement jail built by the . . . — — Map (db m57980) HM
Medical Offices, Surgery and Hospital of
Dr. Philip Sheridan Goodman. (1867 – 1927).
Office and surgery on ground floor, hospital upstairs.
Miraculous and unconventional, a true
Sutter Creek Character. — — Map (db m29780) HM
In 1861 under leadership of Rev. I.B. Fish this church was built . Trustees incorporated the church as the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1862. Between 1863 and 1867 the Ladies Aid Society gave $1,300 for the back room addition. The steeple was added . . . — — Map (db m13684) HM
Within the bell
The following is inscribed
"Hung by G. Chisholm, Dan Ramazzotti
Oct. 18, 1907
Director – F. N. Soracco, F. Warner
E. Deacon – Sutter Creek Fire Co.
Cast by A. Fulton’s Son and Company
Ordered by . . . — — Map (db m94750) HM
[There are four markers mounted on the monument; one each for World War I, World War II, Korea and Vietnam. The first three are mounted on the north side and the fourth is mounted on the south side of monument][World War I]
To . . . — — Map (db m13421) WM
Leland Stanford acquired the Union Mine in 1859 for debt. He formed a partnership with R. C. Downs and renamed it the Lincoln Mine.
The Lincoln Mine produced $2,200,000. in gold by 1873, he then sold it to the British Syndicate for $800,000. . . . — — Map (db m42407) HM
Founded by William T. Wildman in 1851. Merged with Mahoney Mine and reached a depth of 1500 feet. Combined mines operated a 70 stamp mill and produced a total of $5 million in old by 1924. Powder house used to store explosives. Became part of . . . — — Map (db m12598) HM
Sutter Creek's first fire bell was ordered by William M. Tucker (1843-1910) for the Sutter Creek Fire Company.
The bell hung in a wooden bell tower in the late 1800s at the fire station near the corner of Spanish St. and Keyes St.
The bell was . . . — — Map (db m94751) HM
Here in Volcano in 1860, miner and amateur astronomer George Madeira built California's first astronomical observatory of record and operated it for two years. Using a three inch refractory telescope he studied sun and moon, stars and planets, and . . . — — Map (db m100583) HM
On the knoll behind this marker, George Madiera built the first amateur astronomical observatory of record in California and there discovered the great comet of 1861 with a three-inch refractor telescope. — — Map (db m100584) HM
Discoverer and Founder
California Carrara Marble Quarry
Located 3.49 miles southwest of this location on Sutter Creek Volcano Road several hundred feet above the river. This quarry produced high quality marble used in the . . . — — Map (db m27809) HM
In a village, the roundhouse served as the center of ceremonial and social life. Constructed in 1974, the Chaw Sé roundhouse continues this tradition. With its door facing the east, towards the rising sun, four large oaks are the focal point of this . . . — — Map (db m8720) HM
In continuous use since 1852. Built of Volcano brick and native limestone. Originally two stores: The Sacramento (left) owned by Mandelbaum & Klauber; Charles Burleson's store (right). Burleson bought the Sacramento, 1861; joined stores in rear. . . . — — Map (db m10580) HM
At this spot on Plug St. about 100 feet from the intersection of Consolation Ave. is where John Doble chronicled his journey from Indiana, though Central America, up the coast to San Francisco and finally to the gold diggins of Volcano.
His . . . — — Map (db m85859) HM
This plaque is in memory of the pioneers of California who assembled in Volcano where Moose Milk was originated.
Dedicated this 13th day of January, 1951 by E Clampus Vitus.
[A rededication marker, just below the main one, . . . — — Map (db m9055) HM
This plaque is in commemoration of two soldiers of a party from Stevenson’s New York Regiment who discovered Volcano Valley in late 1848 and camped here in Soldier Gulch through a hard winter. Their bodies were discovered in the spring and buried . . . — — Map (db m11364) HM
Built in 1856, the Bavarian Brewery is one of two historic breweries in Volcano, named for brewer Peter Seible. A notable example of early masonry, the precisely cut stones in the front facade are still plumb today. The deep cellar, used for the . . . — — Map (db m32785) HM
The Thomas Starr King Bell was donated to the town of Volcano by Unitarian preacher Thomas Starr King in 1862, who was greatful to the town for its support for the Union and the election of Abraham Lincoln. The bell was originally located at the . . . — — Map (db m101341) HM
A place for fun, frolic, dancing and good food for early gold miners and lumber mill workers.
Room on the right served as the
Justice Court, scene of
the first hanging trial held by
Judge Jonas, original owner
Renovated in 1987 by . . . — — Map (db m15832) HM
Discovered in 1848 by Colonel Stevenson’s men who mined Soldiers’ Gulch in ’49. First covered wagon party sluiced rich gravel beds. By ’53, men swarmed flats and gulches naming them picturesquely. Hydraulic operations, begun in ’55, brought . . . — — Map (db m11365) HM
Started 1848 by soldiers of Colonel Stevenson’s Regiment. Named by miners because of apparent volcanic appearance. Here the first California rental library, 1850, was established. And one of the first “Little . . . — — Map (db m100574) HM
In Memory of the Bryant Brothers
Clemens E. Bryant, Thomas L. Bryant,
Roy Bryant and Walter F. Bryant
Whose surviving relatives deeded this property
to Volcano Lodge No. 56 F. & A. M. on June 20, 1962.
Our pioneer . . . — — Map (db m15824) HM