Is the site of the longest running continuously operated foundry west of the Mississippi River. All quartz machinery needed for the numerous mines surrounding the Altaville, Angels Camp area was cast here. It was previously known as Altaville . . . — — Map (db m13005) HM
This brick building, erected in 1858 with funds raised by a dance in the Billiard Saloon of the N.R. Prince Building (which still stands), is one of the oldest schools of California. Used as a school until 1950, it was then replaced by the present . . . — — Map (db m10143) HM
This structure was erected in 1852 by B. R. Prince and G. Garibardi for a general merchandise business. Improved in 1857 with living quarters on the second floor, it is still used for living and warehouse purposes. — — Map (db m11047) HM
Andrew Brosemer followed his
childhood sweetheart, Elizabeth Huberty,
from Belgium. She came with her family
from Luxembourg to Calaveras County
in 1886 to join her uncle who had
homesteaded a ranch in the 1850’s.
Andrew properly . . . — — Map (db m19326) HM
Founded in 1849 by George Angel, who established a mining camp and trading store 200 feet below this marker. A rich gravel mining area and one of the richest quartz mining sections of the Mother Lode. Production records of over $100 million for . . . — — Map (db m14460) HM
C.C. Lake erected here a canvas hotel in 1851. It was replaced by a one-story wooden structure, and then by one of stone in 1855, with second story being added in 1857. Here, Samuel Clemens first heard the yarn, which was later to bring him fame as . . . — — Map (db m17664) HM
September 25, 1882 – August 1, 1968
Founder of Mother Lode Association in 1919, which created colorful Highway 49 – California’s first highway association.
Plaque and 100 year capsules placed on July 23, 1976 by Golden Chain . . . — — Map (db m6876) HM
He was born Sept. 25, 1882 on the old Stevenot Homestead one-half mile west of this marker. Son of Emile K. and Sarah E. Stevenot and the grandson of Gabriel K. Stevenot, Calaveras County pioneer who pitched tent there in April, 1850.
Student, . . . — — Map (db m6847) HM
Fashioned as either small ornaments or large enough to be heard for miles, bells have long been a part of human history and culture. First appearing around 2000 B.C. as simple percussion instruments, they continue to celebrate special events to this . . . — — Map (db m101587) HM
The use of wheels to convert flowing or falling water into power began in ancient Greece around the third to the first century B.C. In 1878 Lester Allan Pelton, a carpenter and blacksmith from Nevada City, invented a new design for an impulse water . . . — — Map (db m101590) HM
Gold discovered in creek just below town by James H. Carson in 1848, whose name was given to creek, hill and town. In November, 1854, at Morgan Mine, was found the largest gold nugget in California, weighing 195 pounds troy, worth at that time . . . — — Map (db m6848) HM
Built in the early 1850’s, year not documented, by Frank Egan, as the Central Park Hotel. Then, it included a brothel upstairs. The hotel was sold to Mrs. Mitrovich and renamed The Waverly Hotel. Blagoje “Billy” Ratkovich bought the . . . — — Map (db m40811) HM
To the pioneer craftsman whose skills, ingenuity and determination established permanent communities in the wake of the gold rush, and whose progeny have continued to contribute to the region’s character and spirit, recognition is . . . — — Map (db m58925) HM
A gold furnace was commonly used to separate mercury from the gold. In gold placer mining, in which small specks and veins of gold were often found in quartz, mercury was used to separate the gold from the quartz. This bonding of the mercury . . . — — Map (db m57172) HM
In 1895 Harry Hogarth, James Candy and Naylor Williams filed a claim for the Relief Quartz Mine on a hillside above Six Mile Creek near Angels Camp. In 1920, after working the claim by hand for many years, the Hogarths; Harry Sr, Harry Jr, and . . . — — Map (db m56553) HM
This steam traction engine was built by Owens, Lane, Dyer & Co. of Hamilton Ohio most likely in the 1870s. Its particular gear drive mechanism, along with the incline cylinder distinguish it as an O.L.D. & Co. machine. According to the story, this . . . — — Map (db m101594) HM
This mine site was located in 1855 by Peter Cameron, A.M. Wood, Will Powell and C.G. Lake. Lightner Mining Company organized and operated from 1896-1915. A 40 stamp mill crushed 500,000 tons of ore from vein which widened to 120’. Ore stopped at . . . — — Map (db m10633) HM
This Best 110 hp steam traction engine, built 1903-1906, was originally used by Pacific Borax Co. to pull ore wagons. The next owner was the Dixie Mill, near Sheep Ranch, where it was used to haul logs down the steep hillsides to the loading deck. . . . — — Map (db m101613) HM
The Bret Harte U.H.S. Class of 1961
Our Vietnam Era Veterans
And the memory of our
Fallen friends and classmates
Spec. 4 Gene Bettger 7-43 / 12-66
Ensign Glenn Whittle 6-43 / 10-67
Capt. Anthony Albasio . . . — — Map (db m58931) HM
In 1848 John W. Robinson and Stephen Mead established ferry transport for freight, animals and persons across river. In 1856 Harvey Wood purchased interest and later acquired property which was maintained by Wood family until 1911. Charges were 50 . . . — — Map (db m6845) HM
This core section was created in 1934 while boring an air/service shaft for the Idaho-Maryland Mine in Grass Valley, California. The overseer of this demanding project was mining engineer J.B. Newsome. Reputed to be the largest drill core of its . . . — — Map (db m101617) HM
SIGNAL CANNON Small cannons, like our iron example, were usually intended to fire signals rather than function as weapons. Also known as salute cannons, many were used onboard ships and were often mounted on a swivel, as this example may have . . . — — Map (db m101619) HM
This natural formation came from a cavern on the property of the Calaveras Cement Co., located near Calaveritas in Calaveras County. It was donated to the museum by the Flintkote Co. in 1957. Collectively known as speleothems, these ancient . . . — — Map (db m101618) HM
The Hogarth Family has had a long involvement with the mining industry in Angels Camp. Patriarch Henry ("Harry") Hogarth, Sr. was born in Scotland in 1831. He immigrated to the United States at an early age and soon settled on a career as a . . . — — Map (db m56558) HM
Common in California after 1853, the stamp mill consisted from one to five heavy pillar-like stamps whose bottom, (or shoes), were cylindrical hammers made of iron, each weighing as much as one thousand pounds. Power to operate the stamps was . . . — — Map (db m56556) HM
Hydraulic Mining was the largest and most destructive form of mining. Water, brought through flumes and ditches from high up in the mountains, was redirected into an ever-narrowing channel and out through a giant iron nozzle, called a . . . — — Map (db m56649) HM
The body of water you see before you, known as New Melones Lake, is formed by the building of the New Melones Dam. The 625-foot high earth-fill dam was completed in 1979 by the Army Corp of Engineers. A man-made reservoir, the lake hosts a variety . . . — — Map (db m32433) HM
Utica Mine, the most important mine in the Angels District, set national records in the 1890's producing more than 4 million dollars in gold in 30 months. The Utica was also the site of Angels Camp's worst mine disaster when 17 men were buried when . . . — — Map (db m25646) HM
Water wheels were commonplace to the gold mining regions, providing power for mining and milling operations. Powered by water the wheel was attached to a series of belts and gears which turned the machinery to crush the ores. This water wheel . . . — — Map (db m56559) HM
When mine shafts became to deep, a whim was needed to recover the ore in buckets. Joshua Hendy developed the Davis Horse-Power Hoisting Whim, exhibited here. The whim was a large drum made from wood in the early years, and later metal, with a . . . — — Map (db m56616) HM
In the spring of 1852, Augustus T. Dowd, while hunting, discovered a grove of truly immense trees, now known as the Calaveras North Grove. Several stockholders of the Union Water Company (who employed Augustus as a hunter) developed a plan to . . . — — Map (db m34120) HM
You are not the first to explore these forests. Generations of Miwok and Washoe Indians knew these trees.
The rest of the world met the big trees in 1852 when hunter Augustus T. Dowd stumbled upon the North Grove. His discovery brought both . . . — — Map (db m95185) HM
Here at Calaveras Big Tree State Park, it's a regrettable fact that the most famous trees are those most harmed by human action. Both the Mother of the Forest and the Big Stump remind us of how people placed their own curiosity and pleasure above . . . — — Map (db m95184) HM
Hotel and stagecoach relay station, halfway between Murphys and Big Trees. Settled in the 1850’s by Joseph and Sarah Goodell. Purchased by Peter Avery, then operated by three generations of Averys - Peter and Nancy, George and Henrietta and Morton . . . — — Map (db m10615) HM
Avery one-room school was established April 4, 1886. School was in session from March to December due to winter snows that kept the highway closed.
Hazel Fischer taught here from July 1916 to March 1941. Ms Fischer took all the students to San . . . — — Map (db m53304) HM
The oldest continuously operated hotel in Calaveras County, it was built as a family home in 1851 by Joseph and Sarah Goodell of Maine. The Goodells later relocated to Stockton. In 1853 Peter and Nancy Avery, also of Maine, began operating it as a . . . — — Map (db m20626) HM
Named Camanche in 1849 after Camanche, Iowa. Once called Limerick. Peak population 1500. Rich mining at nearby Cat Camp, Poverty Bar, and Sand Hill. Mokelumne River water brought in by Lancha Plana and Poverty Bar ditch. . . . — — Map (db m19752) HM
Calaveritas, settled in 1849 by Mexicans, was a flourishing mining town complete with stores, saloons, gambling houses, and fandango halls. Joaquin Murieta is reported to have frequently visited its Fandango Halls and gambling houses. Destroyed by . . . — — Map (db m12992) HM
He conducted a butcher shop, a distillery and various other enterprises in these buildings, for a total of 50 years. Descendants of Luigi and Charlotte Costa have preserved this handsome example of the heritage of Calaveritas. — — Map (db m12994) HM
Settled in 1849 by Mexicans who worked placers in Oregon Gulch. Rich copper deposits discovered in 1859. The largest living cork oak tree in California was planted here in 1858. Ruins of Adams Express Building still standing. — — Map (db m10629) HM
July 1875, at Funk Hill 4 miles due east Black Bart, alias Charles E. Bolton or Boles, wearing a flour sack mask and a linen duster, waving a double-barrelled shot gun held up the Wells Fargo Sonora to Milton Stage. The first successful stage . . . — — Map (db m70090) HM
Present site of one of the last family-founded and-still-operated-by-that-family phone companies in America. Founded by Jim Tower, who strung his first telephone wires in 1895 tacked along posts of barb wire fences, earning himself the colorful . . . — — Map (db m57982) HM
The church was purchased from J. M. Pike at a cost of 12,000 dollars and dedicated on June 23rd 1866 by the Rev. Mr. Beckwith of San Francisco. The first minister was the Rev. M. A. Starr; however, the church experienced a decline in membership due . . . — — Map (db m56523) HM
Copper here discovered by W. K. Reed and Thomas McCarty in 1860. Mines utilized during the Civil War and the First and Second World Wars. During Civil War period was the principal copper producing section of the United States. — — Map (db m13002) HM
With the discovery of copper ore in 1860 by Thomas McCarty and William K. Reed, the town of Copperopolis sprang into existence and soon became the largest producer of copper in the western United States. The population of Copperopolis grew to exceed . . . — — Map (db m13004) HM
Copperopolis Armory, built by public subscription in 1866 for 8,000 dollars, was used by the Union Guard for enlisting and training troops. In 1866 it was sold to the Copperopolis Armory Hall Association for 800 dollars in gold and was used for . . . — — Map (db m13003) HM
Located atop a prominent hill, this cemetery overlooks the community of Copperopolis and it’s surrounding area.
After crossing through the wrought iron gates and walking amongst the paths you’ll find yourself surrounded by the 4 foot natural stone . . . — — Map (db m19759) HM
(There are five markers and one dedication plaque affixed to the flagpole pedestal.)
History of Copperopolis
Copper (for ore) + opolos (for city)
Originally known as Copper Canyon, Copperopolis was established in 1860 when copper . . . — — Map (db m62356) HM
Although Copperopolis is known for copper mining, gold was discovered here in 1858, copper in 1860. The gold belt was a mile west of the copper belt.
The Madame Felix Mining District produced 200,000 ounces of gold between 1864 and 1974. . . . — — Map (db m58927) HM
Josephine Felix arrived from France in 1852, one of the first settlers in Salt Spring Valley. Soon widowed, she established a waystation at the junction of the Angels and Central Ferry Roads. She wed neighbor Alban Hettick and the couple developed a . . . — — Map (db m58929) HM
In 1852 a chain cable bridge replaced the ferries that once crossed here, to be supplanted in its turn by a covered truss structure in 1862. Some writers claimed this was the locale of Bret Harte's Poker Flat. In late “49” there was a . . . — — Map (db m13013) HM
[Displayed at the Copperopolis Elementary School are a bell and a cannon along with their accompanying markers:]
This bell cast in 1860, the first school in Copperopolis in 1862. The bell yoke shows repair, break . . . — — Map (db m19793) HM
In the 1860’s Copperopolis had a population of 10,000 and was the principal mine in the west. The mine closed in 1945.
This building has housed a saloon since it was built in 1862. Twice it survived raging fires which destroyed the town.
The bar . . . — — Map (db m19770) HM
Pioneer Settler & Rancher
of Calaveras Co.
Discoverer of copper ore
at Copperopolis, Calif. In
1860. Developed mine & was
principal share owner,
Town was named for the
Copper ore. It was a boom
town during the Civil
War. Copper . . . — — Map (db m19766) HM
Board’s Crossing was first used as a cattle crossing in the early 1870’s. Brothers David and William Board moved here from Missouri in 1854. They settled in Salt Springs Valley and raised cattle. This shallow ford across the river was a favorite . . . — — Map (db m58791) HM
Built in 1860 by John and Rebecca Gardner, this was a stage coach stop on the Big Trees Carson Valley Road. A toll road from 1862 – 1910. The hotel served as a depot for stockmen and as a summer resort.
Noted for its ice cold springs, it . . . — — Map (db m57983) HM
Built is 1861 by Antonio and Caterina Gagliardo. Served as a Post Office and social center for the community of Douglas Flat. A hand dug well located next to the store supplied Douglas Flat with good fresh water and remains in good shape today. . . . — — Map (db m58852) HM
Keystone Lodge No.161, F. & A. M, instituted in Copperopolis, Dec. 19, 1862, at the height of the copper mining boom. Moved 1881, to Milton, the terminal of the Stockton & Copperopolis Railroad, which, because of the collapse of copper mining, never . . . — — Map (db m19758) HM
A portion of this building served as the Calaveras County Courthouse from 1852 to 1866, when the county seat was removed to San Andreas. George W. Leger then acquired the court building and made it a part of his adjoining hotel, which has been . . . — — Map (db m11537) HM
Richest placer mining section, extending five miles, in Calaveras County. Received name from Chileans who worked gulch in 1848 and 1849, and scene of the so-called Chilean War. Largest known quartz crystals recovered from mine on south side of gulch. — — Map (db m11515) HM
Founded February 18, 1850. Became county seat of Calaveras County. Old court house, said to be constructed of lumber brought from China, is still standing but not on the original site.
Historical Landmark No. 264 — — Map (db m34791) HM
Built as a saloon and office by Samuel Peek for wife Emily 1897. Deeded to their daughter Estella Peek Bernardi in 1899. Operated by Severino Gobbi as “Club Saloon” into early 20th Century. — — Map (db m15775) HM
Mokelumne is an Indian word, first applied to the nearby river. Earliest settlement was at Happy Valley by French trappers. Gold was discovered by discharged members of Stevenson's Regiment in 1848. Center of the richest placer mining section of . . . — — Map (db m12996) HM
Beneath this spot in 1851, Joe H. Zumwalt established the first chapter of the Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus. On his way West, Zumwalt discovered an amusing ritual in the newspaper office at Bowling Green, Mo. Arriving in Moke Hill . . . — — Map (db m45976) HM
First American scientist awarded the Nobel Peace Prize (Physics – 1907); Dean of American Optics; Measured velocity of light, ether drift, standard meter, steller diameters. Lived here during childhood. — — Map (db m32818) HM
Buena Vista Cemetery's oldest grave marker, for a six year old boy, has the date of death of June 26, 1855. Older graves may exist that have no markers on them. Buena Vista is the earliest official burial location in Murphys. In 1930, Buena Vista . . . — — Map (db m66122) HM
Douglas Flat was a roaring mining camp of the early 1850s. In 1857 the Harper and Lone Star Claims produced $130,000 worth of gold. The so-called Central Hill Channel, an ancient river deposit from which vast quantities of gold have been taken, is . . . — — Map (db m81717) HM
Built by Willis Dunbar for his bride. He was superintendant of the Union Water Company. On the original property were the lumber office and sheds of the Dunbar Lumber Company, built on the site of A. Sleeper & Co.’s lumberyard which Dunbar purchased . . . — — Map (db m16097) HM
During the Gold Rush Days of California the organization known as E Clampus Vitas flourished throughout the gold diggings. It was sort of a parody of the solemn and mysterious fraternal orders then so popular in the states. Every member held an . . . — — Map (db m115597) HM
Built 1901, on land donated by Joseph Heinsdorff, Sr., for use by the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. The two-storied shiplap-sided structure was constructed with locally milled lumber, using large stones as foundation. In 1991, the stones were . . . — — Map (db m32860) HM
Founder of Murphys, 1848.
John and brother Daniel set up trading post; hired Miwok Indians to mine gravel – paid them in merchandise
Murphys was first known as Murphys Diggings; then Murphys Camp – later Murphys
John Murphy . . . — — Map (db m34335) HM
After a fire in 1859, pioneer Doctor Jones rebuilt this structure to withstand future disasters. It served as his office, and is constructed of limestone, brick, 30 inch windowless walls and iron shuttered doors. In 1867, it was sold to John Hauselt . . . — — Map (db m16049) HM
Member of Fremont’s Battalion during Mexican War. Established Indian trading posts throughout Central San Joaquin Valley. Leader of the first expedition of the Mariposa Battalion into Yosemite Valley, 1851
Dr. Lewis Leach described Savage as . . . — — Map (db m34057) HM
Under dispensation Ophir Lodge No. 33 Free and Accepted Masons was permitted to meet at “early candle light” in private homes within a radius of five miles. The Lodge was instituted in January and chartered May 6th 1853. Original, . . . — — Map (db m16055) HM
Discovered September 1, 1885, by Walter J. Mercer. Resting at this site and noticing movement of grass near a small hole. Enlarging the opening, he ascended into extensive caverns containing varieties of fantastic crystalline formations. The public . . . — — Map (db m16017) HM
One of the principal mining communities in Calaveras County, named for the discoverer of gold on the flat in 1849. The objective of many immigrants coming over the Sierras by Ebbetts Pass, Murphys Flat and surrounding mines produced 20,000,000 . . . — — Map (db m3887) HM
Built in 1860, second oldest building in California used continuously for school purposes. Cost four thousand dollars for two rooms as at present. Called "Pine Grove College" by pupils. J.A. Smith, Calaveras County Superior Court judge for 37 years, . . . — — Map (db m66110) HM
James L. Sperry and John Perry opened the Sperry and Perry Hotel August 20, 1856. In 1881 Henry Atwood and then Harvey Blood owned it. In 1882, the Mitchler family renamed it the Mitchler Hotel. In 1945, the McKimins’ changed its name to Murphys . . . — — Map (db m2612) HM
Chispa Parlor No. 139 was chartered April 10, 1889, dissolved April 25, 1896, and reorganized March 14, 1905.
This site was first occupied circa 1860 by the Independent Order of Good Templars, a group dedicated to the prohibition of liquor and . . . — — Map (db m33008) HM
Rebuilt in 1859 as a stone, fire-proof, grocery and provisions store by Vassallo & Co. In 1861 was the homestead of J.C. Green & Wife. By 1863 owned & operated as a bakery by B.M. Orengo & Ruiseco. It is said that the baker Ruiseco was shot to death . . . — — Map (db m51568) HM
This hostelry originally built in 1855 by J. L. Sperry of Sperry Flour fame and his partner John Perry. Among early guests whose names appear on old register are Mark Twain, Horatio Alger, Thomas H. Lipton, Henry Ward Beecher, the Rothchilds General . . . — — Map (db m32742) HM
Constructed by Peter L. Traver in 1856, this is the oldest stone building in Murphys. Its iron shutters and sand on the roof protected it from the fires of 1859, 1874, and 1893. It served as a general store, a Wells Fargo office, and later a garage. — — Map (db m2611) HM
A thriving mining camp on rich Pennsylvania Gulch in the 1850’s and 1860’s. Named for Alfred Brown, former owner of Table Mountain Ranch. Laws of Brownsville Mining District provided that each miner could own one wet and one dry claim, not to exceed . . . — — Map (db m11501) HM
Originally located near Dr. Jones apothecary and destroyed by fire, during which chalice and other sacred appurtenances were carried to safety by “Auntie” Moran in her voluminous apron. Present edifice financed by gold dust collected by . . . — — Map (db m16042) HM
The stone portion built circa 1879 by Bernardo Bisso, called Stangetti, who ran a store until its sale to Sebastian Solari , circa 1881-83, who added the wooden portion and also operated a store. The stone section has walls more than 20 inches thick . . . — — Map (db m16189) HM
Built in 1858 by Pierre Bonet with fire proof steel shutters and stone walls. Owned and operated by Victorene Compere to provision the miners. Restored and preserved as a private residence in 1939.
Historic American Building Survey No. 1108 . . . — — Map (db m32872) HM
In 1862, tinsmith Louis Robinson constructed this brick and stone building to replace his original frame store which was destroyed in the fire of August 20, 1859. In 1869 it became a bakery and store, a use it was to have over the next 40 years. The . . . — — Map (db m16016) HM
One of the pioneer structures in Murphys, built after the great fire of 1859 by Freeman Dunbar and Company and called Union Saloon and Bowling Alley. It was operated in the 1870’s by W.C. Crispin, and in the 1880’s by Charles E. Fisk. Later it was a . . . — — Map (db m32814) HM
Built soon after 1856 by John Thompson operator of Lime Kiln on Posky Hill and stone mason, who built adjoining Traver Building, and many other stone buildings.
Occupied, circa 58, by Meyer & Friedlander, General Merchandise. Later Fred Sackett . . . — — Map (db m13027) HM
Built about 1891 of local lava rock by James Valente, custom bootmaker & dealer in hats. His boots brought the then high cost of $10.00 & wore well for years. After his demise, his widow Kate, continued sales with aid of their son, Leo, who repaired . . . — — Map (db m16101) HM
William Gordon Huff
1903 ~ 1993
Sublime Nobel Grand Patriarch
Grand Clamp Artist
Visionary • Artist • Sculpture
Bill conceived, named, and created
E Clampus Vitus Wall of Comparative Ovations
as a memorial to portray early . . . — — Map (db m31195) HM
At this place, April 30th 1892, without warning, a lone bandit fired two charges of buckshot into the stage carrying the payroll for the Sheepranch Mine. Miss Johanna Rodesino, a passenger, was instantly killed. Babe Raggio, driver, was severely . . . — — Map (db m11683) HM
In this cemetery lie the remains of 600 Calaveras pioneers. All died in the once adjacent county hospital and were interred here between 1890 and the 1910’s. Mostly older men, they lacked the means to be buried in a church or town cemetery. Some . . . — — Map (db m19324) HM
On this site, Joseph Zwinge built the first restaurant - tent - in 1853 known as the American Restaurant. After losing his buildings to three fires, Zwinge erected a permanent stone structure in 1855, in 1857 a brick extension was added to enlarge . . . — — Map (db m16040) HM
Located on the Stockton-Murphy Road at the fourth crossing of the Calaveras River, this early mining settlement, once called Foremans, was famous in the 1850's for its rich placer ores. Later, it became an important stage and freighting depot and . . . — — Map (db m11969) HM
Poverty Bar Cemetery
Mr. and Mrs. Calhoun
Elva Lucy Drennan
Henry Christian Kientz
---Were . . . — — Map (db m13020) HM
Settled by Mexicans in 1848. Named after Catholic Parish of St. Andrew. First newspaper published here Sept. 24, 1856. Destroyed by fire June 4, 1858 and in 1863. County seat of Calaveras County since 1866. Rendezvous of Joaquin Murietta. Black . . . — — Map (db m11503) HM
The Red Barn Museum is the only remnant of The Calaveras County Hospital that remains on these grounds. The two-story hospital was built in 1870, and remained in use until Mark Twain Hospital was constructed in 1951. This building served as the . . . — — Map (db m102244) HM
The discovery of gold in 1860 on George Johnson's Sheep Ranch, by Harvey Childers led to the birth of the community. In the 1870's the town included a Catholic and Protestant Church, a post office, a two teacher school with 30 students, and the . . . — — Map (db m102263) HM
First located in 1867, the fabulous Sheep Ranch Mine produced more than 8 million dollars in gold while in operation. Aquired in 1877, by senator George Hearst, K.B. Haggin and associates. It was operated continuously by the Hearst firm until 1893, . . . — — Map (db m102288) HM
For more than 80 years, the area was known as Onion Valley due to the profusion of wild onions growing here. It was mainly used as a summer stock range. In the late 1860-70’s a sawmill was operated by C. Brown. Later a man called . . . — — Map (db m40974) HM
From New York in 1900 to the present day in California; from cookhouse to firehouse this bell has been a part of Vallecito’s history.
In 1906, Beach Thompson needing water for his hydraulic mining, and investors in San Francisco needing . . . — — Map (db m32727) HM
The store was built in 1851 and opened for business in 1852 by the Dinkelspiel family, who had recently emigrated from Germany. The buildings were made of rhyolite tuff blocks from the Altaville Quarry. The small adjoining building originally used . . . — — Map (db m11967) HM
One of California's important early day mining towns named by Mexicans meaning Little Valley. Gold was discovered here by the Murphy Brothers on 1849. It was originally called "Murphys' Old Diggings". This bell was cast at Troy N.Y. in 1853. After . . . — — Map (db m6841) HM
Founded February 18, 1850. Became county seat of Calaveras County. Old court house, said to be constructed of lumber brought from China, is still standing but not on the original site.
Historical Landmark No. 264 — — Map (db m34777) HM
Gwin Mine, Paloma, and Lower Rich Gulch were mined for placer in 1849. Quartz was discovered by J. Alexander in 1851. Property acquired by Wm. M. Gwin, California's first U.S. Senator, in 1851. The Gwin Mine closed, in 1908, yielded millions. — — Map (db m14449) HM
The original three foot narrow gauge line was built by the San Joaquin & Sierra Nevada Railroad, extending from Brack’s Landing on the Mokelumne River, east to Valley Springs. The depot and turntable were built around the time of completion of the . . . — — Map (db m10635) HM
All Americans have a partnership in the "ROCK" at West Point, California.
...It's purpose is to demonstrate the solidarity of the American people in their heartfelt concern and compassion for the 53 fellow Americans taken from the U.S. Embassy . . . — — Map (db m91729) HM WM
This is a truth about the tragic destruction of a way of life —
It happened for only one reason. Our people abandoned so many
Indian villages in Calaveras County alone!
The Miwok lived a quiet, simple life, so close to nature they . . . — — Map (db m91727) HM
This site, in 1849, was a trading center for pioneer miners of Northwestern Calaveras County. It was named after the gulch where William and Dan Carsner found large nuggets imbedded in the course sand.
Water for mining was brought from the Middle . . . — — Map (db m11975) HM
Named by famous scout Kit Carson while searching for pass over Sierras. One emigrant road forked at Big Meadows, and north branch came directly to West Point. A thriving trading post prior to gold discovery. Bret Harte, famous author, lived here for . . . — — Map (db m44371) HM
[ Dedication plaque mounted on Pine Tree near entrance to the park: ]
In memory of
Member of one of
Log truck driver
for over 50 years,
and faithful . . . — — Map (db m34589) HM
White Pines was constructed by American Forest Properties, Inc. at the site of former White Pines operation of Blagen Lumber Co.
The community of White Pines, which was founded by Frank Blagen, the company president, came into being during the . . . — — Map (db m34571) HM