Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Humboldt County California Historical Markers

 
Camp Curtis Marker image, Touch for more information
By Karen Key, May 31, 2010
Camp Curtis Marker
California (Humboldt County), Arcata — Camp Curtis1862-1865
In Memory of

Co. E & I 2nd. California Volunteer Infantry 1862 - 1863

Co. B 1st. Battalion Mountaineers California Volunteers 1863 - 1864

Co. A. 1st Battalion Native California Volunteer Calvary 1864 and

Marie Brizard . . . — Map (db m32567) HM

California (Humboldt County), Arcata — First Methodist Society on Humboldt Bay
On this site the Rev. Asa White formed the first Methodist Society on Humboldt Bay, July 4, 1850 Arcata United Methodist Church June 24, 2000 — Map (db m98180) HM
California (Humboldt County), Arcata — 135-8 — Jacoby's Storehouse
Originally built in 1857 by Augustus Jacoby, this building was constructed of locally quarried stone and brick. This was the first fire proof building in Humboldt County. Jacoby left Arcata in 1862 and mercantile firms continued to occupy the . . . — Map (db m94513) HM
California (Humboldt County), Arcata — 28 — Minor TheatreClassic Commercial Style - 1914 — Architect: Franklin Georgeson
The nation's oldest theatre built for feature films was opened on December 3, 1914, by Isaac Minor with a silent film based on Charles Dickens' "The Chimes" directed by Herbert Blaché starring Tom Terriss. Arcata Historic Landmark #28 This . . . — Map (db m60930) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — Arkley Center for the Performing ArtsThe State Theater
Richard Sweasey originally financed the construction of this theater which displays his name. Mr. Sweasey was a businessman in the early days of Eureka. Sweasey served as a member of the California State Legislature and several terms as a Humboldt . . . — Map (db m71971) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — August Palmtag Building
— 1893 — August Palmtag Building Queen Anne Architecture Residences, offices; Adorni Grocery, cigar store; Pacific, Cooper Pharmacies; Levy, Canepa, Danielson & Petersen Men’s Stores Eureka Historic Landmark This . . . — Map (db m1504) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — Buhne BuildingItalianate Architecture - 1884 — Eureka Historic Landmark
Built for Captain H.H. Buhne; Humboldt County Bank, other businesses, residences, public hall, rooftop signal service station. This program made possible through a partnership with property owners Kelly and Kala Martin, Eureka Main Street, and . . . — Map (db m61275) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — Buhne General Store
—c 1858— Buhne General Store Greek Revival Architecture Eureka’s Oldest Commercial Building Captain H.H. Buhne, Proprietor Eureka Historical Landmark This program possible through a partnership with property owners . . . — Map (db m60214) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — C.W. Long BuildingEastlake Architecture - 1877 — Eureka Historic Landmark
. . . — Map (db m61287) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — Clarke Memorial Museum
Dedicated to the memory of my parents Joseph H. & Annie F. Clarke and other pioneers of Northwestern California by Cecile Clarke Dedicated August 21, 1960 by the Native Sons of the Golden West — Map (db m1505) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — D. C. McDonald BuildingClassical Revival Architecture - 1904 — Eureka Historic Landmark
Built for Annie M. Wallace; first concrete commercial building in Eureka; contractor materials sold until 1960. This program possible through a partnership with property owner Dolores Vellutini, Eureka Main Street, and the Eureka Heritage . . . — Map (db m61221) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — E. Janssen BuildingItalianate Architecture, 1875 — Eureka Historic Landmark
Janssen's General Merchandise, first elevator and first fireproof building in Eureka This program made possible through a partnership with property owner Dolores Vellutini, Eureka Main Street, and the Eureka Heritage Society — Map (db m60513) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — Eagle HouseEastlake/Queen Anne Architecture - circa 1887/1893 — Eureka Historic Landmark
Served passengers traveling by steamers docking at nearby wharves. This program possible through a partnership with property owners Lee & Kwang Cho, Eureka Main Street and the Eureka Heritage Society. — Map (db m61129) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — Eureka Business CollegeRestored Commercial — Eureka Historic Landmark
Built for Josiah Bell; college upstairs; steamship ticket agency, bicycle shop, and grocery store downstairs; stable; 1893, second building attached. This program possible through a partnership with the estate of Robert Imperiale, Eureka Main . . . — Map (db m61170) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — Eureka City HallItalian Renaissance Architecture, 1905-1960 — Eureka Historic Landmark
Architect J.W. Rowell designed the masonry building which featured a classical entry portico, an elegant cupola with skylights, and street facades of granite blocks, buff-colored bricks, and sandstone detailing. Built by the Lyon-Wilson . . . — Map (db m60275) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — Eureka Free Public Library
California’s first free library was established in Eureka on May 11, 1878 and was situated in this Carnegie Building 1904-1972 — Map (db m71976) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — Eureka Inn
This property The Eureka Inn has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m71977) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — First National Bank/Professional Building (1918)Renaissance Revival Architecture — Eureka Historic Landmark
W.H. Crim, S.F. Architect; Bank, drug emporium downstairs; Offices leased by professionals and government agencies upstairs — Map (db m108025) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — 154 — Fort Humboldt
By the early 1850's, newly arrived white settlers had moved into the Humboldt Bay area, causing conflict with the native inhabitants. To protect both Indians and settlers, Fort Humboldt was established in 1853 and operated until 1866. It became a . . . — Map (db m19936) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — Harold G Larsen / Vista Point
1925 — 1972 Hal, a native of San Diego, was graduated from San Diego State College with a degree in Civil Engineering, and subsequently started work with the California Division of Highways in that area. As a person dedicated to . . . — Map (db m1556) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — Hose Company Number 4
Built in 1884, this building became home of “Columbia Hose Company Number 4”, chartered April 2, 1894. It is the oldest surviving structure of the 7 volunteer companies organized in Eureka between 1873 and 1908. Original building had 2 . . . — Map (db m91922) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — 882 — Humboldt Harbor Historical District
Captain Jonathan Winship made the first recorded entry into Humboldt Bay by sea in June 1806. Encountered in 1849 by Josiah Gregg’s party. New word of its existence reached San Francisco. By 1850 the Laura Virginia Association had founded Humboldt . . . — Map (db m1555) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — Indian/Gunther Island Site 67 (Tolowot)
National Historic Landmark

This site possesses national significance in commerating the history of the United States of America.

1964

National Park Service United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m32570) HM

California (Humboldt County), Eureka — Italianate Architecture
— c1880 — Italianate Architecture Built for J. McLauchlan, restaurant, saloons downstairs; alpine rooms upstairs; one of the longest operating bordellos Eureka Historic Landmark This program possible through a . . . — Map (db m1507) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — J. Lowenthal Building
— 1879 — J. Lowenthal Building American Ecclectic Iron front cast by Eureka Foundry; men's clothier and furnishings, Louvre Cafe, saloons Eureka Historic Landmark This program possible through a partnership with . . . — Map (db m1508) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — Metropole HotelClassical Revival Architecture - 1903 — Eureka Historic Landmark
Built for A.R. Abrahamson; furnished rooms upstairs; businesses and Abe's Chop House downstairs. This program possible through a partnership with property owners Evo & Catherine Fannucchi, Eureka Main Street, and the Eureka Heritage Society. — Map (db m61533) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — N.S.G.W. Hall
This historic building was erected in 1887 by L.T. Kinsey and sold to the Society of Humboldt County Pioneers in 1890. On June 15, 1897 it was purchased by Humboldt Parlor No. 14 N.S.G.W. — Map (db m71970) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — Needs/Williams BuildingNeoclassical Architecture - 1904 — Eureka Historic Landmark
Needs Lodging; meeting hall; jewelers, tailors, other retail; offices; L.H. Hess businesses; Monterey Hotel. This program made possible through a partnership with property owner Williams Family, Eureka Main Street, and the Eureka Heritage . . . — Map (db m61383) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — OberonClassical Revival Architecture, 1878 — Eureka Historic Landmark
Dry goods, saloons, Cafes Royal and Oberon (Site 1910 Jack London fight), used furnishings This program possible through a partnership with property owners Roy and Susan Kohl, Eureka Main Street, and the Eureka Heritage Society — Map (db m60277) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — Ritz BuildingArt Moderne Architecture — Eureka Historic Landmark
The Ritz and Star Cigar Store, Proprietors A. J. Batini and Dolindo Massei; The Ritz Club, restoration by Daniel and Jayne Ollivier, 1978; The Ritz Apartments This program possible through a partnership with property owners Daniel & Jayne . . . — Map (db m60897) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — 2008-9 — Sequoia Park Zoo
Sequoia Park Zoo has been an integral part of Eureka's community since 1907. Founded on land acquired from the Glatt family to be used as a city park, the zoo has provided a home for many cherished animals and fond family memories. For more than a . . . — Map (db m78790) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — St. Bernard Catholic Church
Was consecrated by Bishop Manogue on June 6, 1886 - built by local architect James Simpson under the direction of the pastor, Father John S. Sheridan. It is the second church constructed at this location. Dedicated by the Grand Parlor . . . — Map (db m108024) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — The Carson House
This home, also known as the “Pink Lady,” is a classic Queen Anne/Eastlake Victorian residence designed by the prestigious architectural firm of Newsom Brothers of San Francisco. It was completed in 1889 for William Carson, a pioneer . . . — Map (db m1498) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — The Cousins BuildingMission Revival/Classical Revival Style Architecture - 1874 — Eureka Historic Landmark
In 1895 3 buildings existed: 412 - Long's Saloon; 414 - W.S. Clifton, optician; 418 - C.W. Richardson, barber. This program made possible through a partnership with property owners Nedra & Wes Kausen, Eureka Main Street, and the Eureka . . . — Map (db m61187) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — The former FairwindItalianate Architecture - circa 1870 — Eureka Historic Landmark
Saloons, Kitty Farris' Joy Emporium, and Fairwind and New Fairwind Cafe. This program possible through a partnership with owners Ferguson-Winsted, Eureka Main Street, and the Eureka Heritage Society. — Map (db m61155) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — The Josiah Gregg Expedition
After finding Humboldt Bay from the sand dunes near Fairhaven on December 20, 1849, the Dr. Josiah Gregg exploring party reached the present site of Eureka. December 26, passing an open area near this point, to camp by an Indian village close to . . . — Map (db m91923) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — The Samuel W. McFarland Blockcirca 1885-1903
The six Victorian era houses “905-935” Third Steet were developed by Samuel McFarland from 1884 to 1904. Mr. McFarland came to Humboldt County from New Brunswick, Canada in 1866 at the invitation of his brother-in-law, William Carson . . . — Map (db m71972) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — Weaver BuildingStick-Eastlake Architecture - 1892 — Eureka Historic Landmark
Two cantilevered square bays; saloon downstairs; brothel upstairs; later Bluebird Cabaret with dime a dance. This program made possible through a partnership with property owner Diane Barmore, Eureka Main Street, and the Eureka Heritage . . . — Map (db m61222) HM
California (Humboldt County), Fernbridge — Fernbridge
Dedicated on November 16, 1911 and affectionately known as the "Queen of Bridges", it was the longest reinforced concreted arch structure in the world at the time of its construction. The bridge was designed by John B. Leonard, Civil Engineer, . . . — Map (db m71907) HM
California (Humboldt County), Ferndale — 2009-8 — "Poppa Joe's"
Erected in the early 1870s, this magnificent structure was a drug store. In 1877 it became known as the Alford Drug Store until 1886. In 1879, Wells Fargo and Co. established an express station in the Alford Drug Store and maintained it through . . . — Map (db m71959) HM
California (Humboldt County), Ferndale — 137-07 — "The Danish Hall"
Originally constructed as a warehouse in July of 1902; known as the A. Berding Warehouse and housed many businesses. In 1919 Hampton C. Blum acquired the warehouse. In January 1929, The Danish Hall Committee started considerations for pu(r)chase. . . . — Map (db m71939) HM
California (Humboldt County), Ferndale — GPY 136-09 — "The Victorian Inn"
The Victorian Inn was built in 1890 with completion in 1891, and known as the Russ Building. The structure was originally built to house the Ferndale Bank with the Ferndale Enterprise Newspaper following. There were 33 rooms on the second floor; . . . — Map (db m65289) HM
California (Humboldt County), Ferndale — 14 — Blackburn Law Office
Built circa 1880, the rear portion of the building began as a private residence. Later, the front served as a restaurant and Chinese chop house. Around 1914-15, A.W. Blackburn moved the rear portion to the street and added a new front to serve as . . . — Map (db m71952) HM
California (Humboldt County), Ferndale — Danish Hall
The original building was constructed in the late 1800’s as a warehouse for A. Berding, pioneer merchant. Remodeled in 1929, it became the meeting hall for the various Danish lodges. It also serves as the meeting hall of the Native Sons and . . . — Map (db m71942) HM
California (Humboldt County), Ferndale — 883 — Ferndale
This pioneer agricultural community, settled in 1852, helped feed the booming population of mid-century San Francisco. Long known as “Cream City,” Ferndale made innovative and lasting contributions to the dairy industry. Local . . . — Map (db m1557) HM
California (Humboldt County), Ferndale — 1 — Ferndale Masonic Hall
Dedicated March 19, 1891 Organized October 2?, 1868 with fifteen members Ferndale Lodge #193 F. & A.M. received its charter the following year. Meetings were held upstairs over the Dodge Store until 1870 when the first lodge hall was built on the . . . — Map (db m71931) HM
California (Humboldt County), Ferndale — Ferndale Meat Market
Ferndale Meat Market was already in operation at the time of the fire of 1875 and was lost in the fire of April 1881. It was rebuilt at its present location and back in operation by mid May of that same year. Joseph Russ’ involvement in the business . . . — Map (db m71955) HM
California (Humboldt County), Ferndale — Ferndale Palace Saloon
Circa 1890. Furthest westernly bar in the continental United States. Dedicated February 13, 1993 by the Native Sons of the Golden West. Harley M. Harty, Grand President In memory of Joseph G. Oeschger PGP — Map (db m65266) HM
California (Humboldt County), Ferndale — Hotel Ivanhoe
Also known as the Roberts Hotel, Ferndale Hotel, and the Italian-Swiss Hotel, it was the first and is the last of the original hostelries in Ferndale. Originally built in 1870, burnt to the ground and rebuilt in 1875, then remodeled in the late . . . — Map (db m71958) HM
California (Humboldt County), Ferndale — Joseph C. Oeschger Field
Dedicated to Joseph Carl Oeschger in Recognition of his contribution to sports and to the youth who participate. An all around athlete who began his career in Ferndale, he went on to professional baseball where he distinguished himself as a . . . — Map (db m71956) HM
California (Humboldt County), Ferndale — Old Firemen's Pavilion
Built in 1922, and constructed mainly of old growth redwood by volunteers of the Ferndale Community. Fire destroyed the kitchen in 1963. Rebuilt in 1990-1993 through contributions and community efforts. It has served our community well throughout . . . — Map (db m65190) HM
California (Humboldt County), Ferndale — Our Centennial1852 August 25, 1952
In this approximate area the seed of settlement to become Ferndale was planted by Seth Lewis Shaw. Ferndale’s Original Residents S.L. Shaw ­ S.W. Shaw ­ Uri Williams ­ Tom Dix ­ H.S. Waterman ­ Cutler Hatch ­ Joseph Russ ­ Wm. Shipton ­ Geo. . . . — Map (db m71960) HM
California (Humboldt County), Ferndale — The First California Central Creamery
This site, originally R.A. Simpson's Ferndale Mechanical Shop, and shared by A. Monroe Cider and Vinegar Company, was chosen in 1904 by Aage Jensen as the founding location of the Central Creamery with first production of butter in September, . . . — Map (db m65235) HM
California (Humboldt County), Ferndale — 136-3 — The Gazebo
Built in 1898 this building is of the East Lake Stick-Style tradition, a fine example of Victorian Architecture. The tapered oriel windows that project from the upper story are Italianate in shape with the overall design being very much English. . . . — Map (db m71953) HM
California (Humboldt County), Fields Landing — Fields Landing Hotel
Built in the late 1870's or early 1880's, the Fields Landing Hotel originally was used house rail train passengers bound for Eureka. They then continued on by boat to Eureka. In 1913 the railroad was extended to Eureka. The Fields Landing Hotel was . . . — Map (db m108026) HM
California (Humboldt County), Fortuna — The Eel River Starts on Your StreetEel River: Linking Human and Coastal Environments
The Eel, California’s third largest river, flows 800 miles before emptying into the Pacific Ocean. Through ongoing monitoring, public and private entities are working to preserve the integrity of this designated “Wild and Scenic River.” . . . — Map (db m71985) HM
California (Humboldt County), Myers Flat — Colonel Raynal C. Bolling
This grove is dedicated to the memory of Col. Raynal C. Bolling S.C. U.S.A. Lawyer Patriot Soldier Born 1 Sept. 1877 at Hot Springs Arkansas Killed in action during the German offensive near Amiens France 26 March 1918 The first . . . — Map (db m48537) HM
California (Humboldt County), Myers Flat — The Shrine Tree
Notice that this tree is hollow and 3/4 of the wood is dead. However, 1/4 of the tree refuses to die. The limbs on the tree are evidence of the living material still within. Higher up a double top reaches toward the sky. The tree itself continues to . . . — Map (db m87848)
California (Humboldt County), Orick — Big DiamondA Circus Elephant
"Big Diamond", a circus elephant expired near here in 1927. His skinned hulk was buried. Years later, his bones were unearthed and speculation arose about a Humboldt mastodon until investigators were enlightened by people who'd seen the . . . — Map (db m22274) HM
California (Humboldt County), Orick — Madison Grant Forest and Elk RefugeDedicated to the Memory of Madison Grant — 1865-1937
Conservationist, author, anthropologist, a founder of the Save-the-Redwoods League.

This area of 1600 acres, habitat of the last surviving herd in California of Roosevelt Elk is established as a memorial by · De Forest Grant · John D. . . . — Map (db m32569) HM

California (Humboldt County), Patrick's Point — William Z. Hegy1915 - 1986
A native of Plunkett, Saskatchewan, Canada. Graduated from Stanford University with a degree in Civil Engineering, began work with the Division of Highways in 1936. He worked in many positions and locations throughout his career, becoming State . . . — Map (db m1509) HM
California (Humboldt County), Petrolia — 543 — California's First Drilled Oil Wells
California's first drilled oil wells producing crude to be refined and sold commercially were located on the north fork of the Mattole River approximately three miles east of here. The old Union Mattole Oil Company made its first shipment of oil . . . — Map (db m51955) HM
California (Humboldt County), Petrolia — Cape Mendocino LighthouseLit Dec. 1, 1868 to Mar. 3, 1951
Built at 422 ft. elevation, the light swept 30 mi. to sea. The perilous waters here claimed nine ships. Mules took supplies to the site, 15 mi. north, the westernmost in the U.S. Dedicated to the Keepers of the Light — Map (db m51954) HM
California (Humboldt County), Redcrest — Sam Helwer1913 – 1991
Sam Helwer, the son of German-Russian immigrants, began his life on a small dairy farm in Russell, Kansas. In 1936 he began his career with the California Division of Highways as an Engineering Aide. By the 1940's he was Project Engineer for the . . . — Map (db m1558) HM
California (Humboldt County), Samoa — Humboldt Bay Maritime MuseumAhoy! Step inside and experience the fascinating stories of Humboldt Bay
Inside you will interact with stories of the past, discover local culture, and view unique maritime artifacts A group of local seafarers established the Humboldt Bay Maritime Museum in 1977 so residents and visitors could experience the . . . — Map (db m81831) HM
California (Humboldt County), Samoa — Samoa Cookhouse Circa 1893
This is the last lumber camp style cookhouse in operation in North America. This cookhouse was originally opened as part of Samoa, one of the last company owned towns in the United States, established by the Vance Lumber Company. The original . . . — Map (db m65422) HM
California (Humboldt County), Scotia — Humboldt Redwoods State Park
Top marker: Welcome to Humboldt Redwoods State Park. As you travel either U.S. Highway 101 or the Avenue of the Giants for the next 32 miles, you will pass through the largest redwood park of all California State Parks. Preserved here are over . . . — Map (db m87843) HM
California (Humboldt County), Scotia — 2010-7 — Scotia Museum
The Scotia Museum is a textbook example of Greek Revival architecture. The natural redwood trunks used for classical columns have an unmistakeable association with the timber industry. The two-story structure has a low-pitched shingle roof, a . . . — Map (db m61055) HM
California (Humboldt County), Scotia — The Pacific Lumber CompanyEstablished 1869 in Humboldt County
Their first sawmill was built in 1887 at their current location and employed 150 men to turn the giant redwoods into shingles and other products. Originally named Forestville, the town name was changed to Scotia in 1888. Scotia is one of the last . . . — Map (db m71988) HM
California (Humboldt County), Shelter Cove — Built to LastWithstanding the fury of the coast
The Mendocino presented a huge challenge to the designers of this lighthouse The lighthouse’s assigned position was a storm-battered, 400-foot cliff prone to frequent earthquakes and landslides. The compact tower, with its lifesaving beacon, had to . . . — Map (db m1108) HM
California (Humboldt County), Shelter Cove — Cape Mendocino Lighthouse
Lit Dec. 1, 1868, the light from its first order Fresnel lens swept 30 miles to sea. Decommissioned in 1951, the structure slowly began to inch toward the 422’ cliff. The light was dismantled in 1998 and moved to Point Delgada, Shelter Cove by the . . . — Map (db m1093) HM
California (Humboldt County), Shelter Cove — In Memory of Our Shipmates
In memory of our shipmates and friends. On July 12, 1994, Coast Guard Helicopter 6541 responded to a mayday from a sailing vessel in distress south of Shelter Cove, CA. While searching for the vessel in heavy fog, the helicopter crashed into the . . . — Map (db m1106) HM
California (Humboldt County), Shelter Cove — Mario Machi
1914–1998. A founder of Shelter Cove with brothers Tony and Babe Machi. A ready smile, a friendly wave, a faraway look waiting for his fishermen to return—we’re thankful we’ve known this gentle man. A hero in war. Survivor . . . — Map (db m1057) HM
California (Humboldt County), Shelter Cove — Saving Lighthouse History
A new home in Shelter Cove. Shelter Cove is not the original home of the Cape Mendocino lighthouse. The lighthouse operated at Cape Mendocino, 35 miles north of here. The compact metal tower was installed on a cliff at the cape in 1868 . . . — Map (db m1107) HM
California (Humboldt County), Trinidad — 216 — Town of Trinidad
Founded April 8, 1850, Trinidad is the oldest town on the Northern California coast. During the 1850s, it served as a vital supply link between ships anchored at Trinidad Bay and miners in the Klamath, Trinity, Salmon River, and Gold Bluff mines. It . . . — Map (db m1188) HM
California (Humboldt County), Trinidad — 838 — Tsurai
Directly below was located the ancient Yurok village of Tsurai. A prehistoric, permanent Indian community, it was first located and described by Captains Bodega and Heceta, June 9-19, 1775. The houses were of hand-split redwood planks, designed for . . . — Map (db m1189) HM
California (Humboldt County), Weott — Old Giant Redwood Tree
In 1148 this tree began growing near Jordan Creek at the north end of the “Avenue of the Giants”. It was 839 years old when it fell in 1897. Average Diameter at Base—9 feet; Height of Tree—300 Feet; Age of Cross . . . — Map (db m87846) HM

77 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement