Considered by some to be the oldest dwelling in Lake County, the Ranch House was built in the 1850ís to 1860ís. It was associated with the earliest settlement of High Valley and beginnings of agriculture in Lake County. It is a one and one half . . . — — Map (db m26738) HM
Oldest building in Lake County. Erected of stone in 1853-4 by Robert Sterling, whose wife was first white woman in Coyote Valley. Rebuilt in 1894. Headquarters of the Guenoc Land Grant and the first store in the valley. — — Map (db m16127) HM
Built by Charles Stone and Andy Kelsey on land purchased from Salvador Vallejo. Constructed by forced Indian labor, causing much resentment and culminating in murder by Indians of both Stone and Kelsey in the fall of 1849. Their remains are beneath . . . — — Map (db m121713) HM
Lake Countyís century-old classic courthouse, designed by A.P. Pettit in 1871, served as the seat of county government from 1871 until 1968 when it was replaced by the new courthouse. Among the courtís landmark cases were the White Cap murders, a . . . — — Map (db m121364) HM
In January of 1867 the Clearlake Lodge #30 I.O.O.F. was organized in Lower Lake. The hall was built in 1868. The Lodge originally has 7 members, D.M. Hanson being the first Noble Grand. — — Map (db m42337) HM
Built by Leslie P. Nichols and brother in 1877, it was the only schoolhouse in the county made of bricks from a local kiln. The school was two stories high. The top floor was used as the town hall, and school was held on the lower floor. It housed . . . — — Map (db m42352) HM
Built in 1876 at the height of the quicksilver mining boom, the Lower Lake stone jail was a response to rapid town growth and the urgent need for civil order. Stephen Nicolai, one of the first stone masons in Lower Lake, built the jail from local . . . — — Map (db m8509) HM
The Old Bull Trail Road ran from Napa Valley to Middletown. It was built by volunteers in the 1850ís. A number of grades were 35 percent. It was an official road in 1861 and abandoned in 1868. St. Helena Toll Road also ran from same points. Was . . . — — Map (db m11989) HM
Scene of a battle between U.S. soldiers under command of Captain Lyons and Indians under Chief Augustine, April 14th, 1850.
Dedicated as an historical monument by the Native Sons of the Golden West
May 20th, 1942 — — Map (db m1055) HM
One-fourth mile west is the island called Bo-no-po-ti (Old Island), now Bloody Island. It was a place for native gatherings until May 15, 1850. On that date, a regiment of the 1st Dragoons of the U.S. Cavalry, commanded by Capt. Nathaniel Lyon and . . . — — Map (db m1190) HM
The original building was destroyed in the fire of 1924. Six months later the present building opened as a hardware store. It has the pressed concrete walls and pressed tin ceiling typical of fire measures taken when the town was rebuilt.
As . . . — — Map (db m49116) HM
This redwood paneled craftsman style building was constructed in 1916. The architect was no less than the nephew of Henry Wordsworth Longfellow. Members of the community donated time and money to build the library. Most notable of the donators was . . . — — Map (db m48413) HM
League's Store, destroyed in the fire of 1924, housed the beginnings of both the Odd Fellows Hall and the Harriet Lee Hammond Library. The post office moved here when the library opened in 1916. The Griner Brothers eventually built and relocated . . . — — Map (db m61079) HM
This site stared as a Meat Market in 1906, then became the Ice House.
Ice was originally brought down from the "ice pond" in the hills and stored at the Ice House. Later it was manufactured here at the Ice Plant in 300 pound blocks that were . . . — — Map (db m49333) HM
The International Order of Odd Fellows Lodge #241 established themselves in Upper Lake in 1876. The present structure was completed in 1898 at a cost for land and building of $3,109.02. This mutual aid society hosted numerous activities through the . . . — — Map (db m55398) HM
This was one of three livery stables in Upper Lake in the 1880's. As far back as 1870, Upper Lake was the terminus of both the Cloverdale and Clearlake stage lines, bringing tourists to the famous mineral waters of Witter Springs, Saratoga Springs . . . — — Map (db m48989) HM
From three livery stables in the
late 1800's to three gas stations in
the 1900's, Upper Lake kept up with
current modes of transportation.
Greyhound bus had a depot in Upper
Lake and there was at one time three
car dealerships in town.
There . . . — — Map (db m135524) HM
Sometime before 1874, Rufus Tallman and his wife Mary Ellen established the Tallman Hotel on this site. When it burnt down in 1895, they rebuilt. The name was changed to Riffe's Hotel when their daughter Winnyford and their son-in-law Hank Riffe . . . — — Map (db m49060) HM
From the late 1860's to the present
day businesses have come and gone
in Upper Lake. At the time of the 1924
fire the concrete building at 9449 Main
was Doc Niderost's Home Pharmacy
complete with soda fountain. It not
only survived the fire . . . — — Map (db m136514) HM