Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Lassen County California Historical Markers

 
Lassen Emigrant Trail Marker image, Touch for more information
By Syd Whittle, May 9, 2008
Lassen Emigrant Trail Marker
California (Lassen County), Bieber — 763 — Lassen Emigrant Trail
Peter Lassen opened the Lassen Emigrant Trail in 1848 when he led a 12-wagon emigrant train from Missouri to California. The route, which passed near this place, was extensively traveled during the years 1848-53 by emigrants seeking gold, adventure, . . . — Map (db m10264) HM
California (Lassen County), Janesville — Fort Janesville
built in 1859 during the Piute War — Map (db m87774) HM
California (Lassen County), Litchfield — 677 — Noble Emigrant Trail
This route was first used in 1852 by emigrants to Northern California seeking to avoid the hardships of the Lassen Trail. It crossed the desert from the Humbolt River in Nevada, passed this point, and proceeded over the mountains to the town of . . . — Map (db m10269) HM
California (Lassen County), Milford — LAS-001 — Milford
First settled by Robert J. Scott on May 10, 1856, Milford is one of the oldest settlements in the Honey Lake Valley. In 1861 the first important flour mill in northeastern California was built here. In recognition of this, and of a sawmill, the . . . — Map (db m87776) HM
California (Lassen County), Nubieber — An Unknown Soldier
In memory of An Unknown Soldier who was buried here about 1870 on this the Old Military Road which ran from Ft. Bidwell in Modoc Co. to Ft. Crook, Shasta Co. — Map (db m87821) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — Birth of Peter Lassen
“Peter Lassen was born on October 31, 1800 in Farum, Denmark. At the time Farum was a small village about 15 miles northwest of Copenhagen. Peter was a son of humble parents. His mother was Johanne Sophie Westergaard and his father was Lars . . . — Map (db m14179) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — Burial of Peter Lassen
“In November 1859 – almost half a year after Lassenís death, another party with Joe Kitts, Antone Storff, and John Tutt, began a new trip back to Black Rock. The men were going to bring the remains of Peter Lassenís body back to . . . — Map (db m14233) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — LAS-002 — Jacks Valley
Named for John "Coyote Jack" Wright who left here in 1869. By 1880, five wagon roads converged here which resulted in various establishments over the years including a stage station, saloon, sawmill, dance hall, logging camp, and agricultural . . . — Map (db m87820) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — Larry Griffith
Lassen County Deputy Sheriff Larry Griffith was killed in the line of duty March 2, 1995 On that date, Deputies Larry Griffith, Henry Mahan, William Freitas and Wayne Aldridge were on duty on the Madeline Plains and were . . . — Map (db m87781) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — Lassen County Courthouse
Lassen County was officially created on April 1, 1864 and three months later Susanville's founder, Isaac Roop donated this city block for the Lassen County Courthouse. On January 23, 1888 Holden Dick and Mexican Ben were lynched here, marking the . . . — Map (db m87779) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — Lassen Lodge No. 149 F.&A.M
Commemorating the centennial of Lassen Lodge No. 149 F.&A.M., March 21, 1961 and in memory of Isaac N. Roop, ardent Free Mason, founder of Susanville, first Governor of the provisional Territory of Nevada, civic leader and friend of Man, and John S. . . . — Map (db m87783) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — Lassenís Bosquejo Rancho
“When Lassen returned to Sutterís Fort he was still haunted by memories of the beautiful scenery in the North Valley. He decided to apply for land and settle there. There were no settlements at all in this region, so there would be room enough . . . — Map (db m14226) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — Migration of Peter Lassen
“We do not know the exact date on which Peter Lassen arrived in America. Let us suppose that he landed in the early spring of 1831. Most reports say that Lassen arrived in Boston, Massachusetts. Also his passport had Boston written as the . . . — Map (db m31741) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — 675 — Noble Emigrant Trail
This meadow, now a city park, was a welcome stopping place on the Noble Emigrant Trail, pioneered by William H. Nobles in 1851 and first used in 1852. Here, emigrants en route to the Northern California mines were able to rest, refresh their stocks, . . . — Map (db m10268) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — N-26 — Nobles Trail - Rooptown
"This is a village of about 20 houses nearly all of which were built this summer. (It) is situated at the head of the valley... there is a hotel, store, blacksmith shop and... a saw-mill not far away." - Allen J. Tyrrell, Sep 8, 1860 . . . — Map (db m87785) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — Peter Lassen Grave
In memory of Peter Lassen the pioneer who was killed by the Indians April 26, 1859 Aged 66 years — Map (db m10261) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — Peter Lassen In California
“In Camponit Peter Lassen and his party had been waiting for the winter to be over. Instead of crossing the mountain ranges on their way south, he and six other persons decided to go by ship from Fort Vancouver. A small steamship, . . . — Map (db m31740) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — Pioneer Saloon
A saloon has been on this site since 1862. Originally known as the Humboldt Exchange, in 1863 the name was changed to the Pioneer. This bar is the oldest established business in northeastern California. — Map (db m87810) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — LAS-003 — Richmond
Due to "Gold Fever" and named for Richmond, Virginia by Orlando Streshly in 1859, the town of Richmond grew rapidly until 1861 - becoming the most important and populous settlement in the county "... overshadowing Susanville." Sporting hotels, a . . . — Map (db m87808) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — 76 — Roop's Fort
Built in July 1854 by Isaac N. Roop. First called Roop's House, and used as stopping place by emigrant trains. It was the locale of the "sagebrush war" fought in 1863 between Plumas County and Lassen County citizens. — Map (db m10266) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — Susanville Railroad Depot
has been placed on the National Register of Historical Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1927 — Map (db m87778) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — The Grand Cafe
Established in 1909, the Grand was first operated by Kwan Wong. In 1912, the Grand moved to this location and in 1921 Sam Vucanovich and Steve Sargent became the new owners. The original building collapsed in 1934 from construction next door and the . . . — Map (db m87817) HM
California (Lassen County), Westwood — Boardinghouses
The first boardinghouses were built by Red River Logging in 1915 near the mill in Pine Town. The consisted of wood floors and canvas tents. Nine 2 story units built on Birch Street housed 80 men each while two units south of Birch Street housed . . . — Map (db m56715) HM
California (Lassen County), Westwood — Chuckís Railroad Room ó Westwood Rail Depot
This building was part of the rail station from 1911-1958 of the Southern Pacific Line and was built by the Red River Lumber Company owned by the Walker Family. The Western Union and freight offices were a gathering place for local people. Leaving . . . — Map (db m56713) HM
California (Lassen County), Westwood — 678 — Lassen Emigrant Trail
Through this draw passed many covered wagons and gold seekers enroute to California over the Lassen Trail during 1848-1851. Approaching this location from the north, the trail passed what is now Bogard Ranger Station. Proceeding southward to Big . . . — Map (db m22027) HM
California (Lassen County), Westwood — L - 38 — Lassen Trail - Westwood
The east branch of Lassenís Trail (1848 & later) passed near here to a campsite “near a small lake fed by springs,” — Map (db m56709) HM
California (Lassen County), Westwood — Paul Bunyan ó The Legend Lives On
Paul Bunyan has been the hero of lumberjack whopper tales that were handed down for generations in the camps of White Pine lumbermen in the north eastern forests of America. In 1913 the Walker family who owned the Red River Mill in Minnesota, moved . . . — Map (db m56687) HM
California (Lassen County), Westwood — Red River Bakery ó 1917
Built in 1917 by the Red River Lumber Co. as a bakery, it supplied 3 stores and the company cookhouse. It was famed for its biscuits (as in biscuits & gravy) that gave the loggers the fuel needed to build Westwood out of virgin timber. It has also . . . — Map (db m56712) HM
California (Lassen County), Westwood — The Chimney
Built in late 1920ís as a Chevron Service Station, it was purchased in 1935 by the Tunisons who added the bar & restaurant with the fireplace. In Dec., 1942 bartender Ray Bollengier was shot and killed by an angry patron. The building burned in 1960 . . . — Map (db m66081) HM
California (Lassen County), Westwood — Westwood
A “Company Town” for 44 years Est. 1912 by T.B. Walker family, founders of Red River Lumber Co. 1944-1956 Fruit Growers Supply Co. — Map (db m56710) HM
California (Lassen County), Westwood — Westwood Club
Built in 1914 by the Red River Lumber Co. as a mens club. The club had a pool room, card room, cafe, tobacco shop and a bar. It burned in 1944 and was rebuilt in 1945. Bought by George & Vera Young in 1957 & was turned into a market. Their son Mike . . . — Map (db m66083) HM
California (Lassen County), Westwood — Westwood Firehouse
Built in 1913, this building has been the home of the Westwood Fire Department since its beginning. O.L. Lunt was the 1st Chief until 1918. Maurice Hertzig was appointed Chief in 1946 and served for 32 years, he was the last official chief. Once the . . . — Map (db m56708) HM
California (Lassen County), Westwood — Westwood Masonic Lodge
This building was built in 1925 by George Peltier and was funded by The Red River Logging Company. The building housed the Free and Accepted Masons and was known as Westwood Lodge #502 F.&A.M. It has been a gathering place of friends and families . . . — Map (db m66082) HM

33 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement