Dating prior to the 1860s, the Wassama Roundhouse was reconstructed in 1985 on the location of the previous four houses. In 1903, the third roundhouse was built using portions of the center pole from the two earlier houses. The Roundhouse served as . . . — — Map (db m46774) HM
The village of Wassama (leaves falling) is the site of the last above ground southern Miwok Roundhouse built in 1903. Religious ceremonies, dancing and gambling took place on the site until 1937. Southern Miwok dances including the 1870 Ghost Dance, . . . — — Map (db m51571) HM
Southern Pacific Railroad - Before the townsite was created the train stopped at Minturn. Chowchilla was known as McNears Crossing. After it was founded the company moved the train station to a site just south of Robertson Blvd. Twenty . . . — — Map (db m62115) HM
Gold -- heavy coarse gold -- was discovered in this area and the texture led to naming the spot Coarse Gold Gulch. Nearby, the Texas Flat Mine which was filed on in 1853 became the oldest and most extensively worked ledge mine in the . . . — — Map (db m33714) HM
Willow Glen was first inhabited by the Chukchansi Indians. The grinding holes and other artifacts indicate that they have lived in this area since prehistoric times. In 1870 a stage road was built and in 1897 John McGinity homesteaded at Willow . . . — — Map (db m60346) HM
Founded by Frederick Erwin Knowles who bought the land from Frank Ducy and who organized the Raymond Granite Company in what had been referred to as
"Ducys Rock Pile"
In 1899, the Raymond Granite Company built a spur track from the quarry to the . . . — — Map (db m33718) HM
June 1872 a former Fresno County Sheriff Leroy Dennis erected a store and hotel. Feb. 12, 1873 the first official Post Office of Madera County opened. Service stopped on Mar. 23, 1919 and USPS renamed the town Berenda "Female Antelope". The Central . . . — — Map (db m62114) HM
Once a part of Mariposa and Fresno Co, this area was traversed by local Indians, fur traders, explorers and gold seekers. The first settlement in what is now Madera County was 16 miles up the Fresno River where James D. Savage located his store, . . . — — Map (db m52241) HM
Starting in 1901 with a book on lumber, the library moved from place to place until 1917, when this historic building was built with county funds only. That eliminated strings from grants. An example of home rule. This was the first free library in . . . — — Map (db m34944) HM
Switching from the iron horse to the horse drawn stage after a night at Madera's Yosemite Hotel, which still stands across the street from this monument, at 6 A. M. the tourists would load up in open stages to enable them a good view. Stagecoaches, . . . — — Map (db m39516) HM
In the year 1912 a Mr. William King Heiskell built an aviary with its first inhabitants being a green parrot and several species of birds from around the world. The zoo also had several ponds and water fountains and a bandstand. Although the Madera . . . — — Map (db m34946) HM
Fresno Flats was a farming and supply center for the mining and lumber industries. The local blacksmith was known throughout the area as the only one able to fabricate and repair large wheels. The oldest still-operating in Madera County Post Office . . . — — Map (db m60306) HM
This slab of a Giant Sequoia was cut from a 2,000 yr old Sequoia toppled by a winter storm in 1979 in Eastern Tulare County. 200 feet in length and 50 feet in circumference, the tree weighed 900,000 lbs. In 1981, LDG Logging Co of Oakhurst purchased . . . — — Map (db m60308) HM
Built by volunteers with donated materials, this church was first consecrated June 20, 1894. It was the only house of worship in the region for half a century. Services were discontinued in the early 1950's. The community rallied to save the church . . . — — Map (db m34934) HM
Taking two years to construct and opening in August 1876, The flume ran 52 miles from Sugar Pine Sawmill to the Planing mill and railroad in Madera. This wooden flume transported lumber and loggers to Madera across deep canyons, streams and . . . — — Map (db m84537) HM
Fresno Flats (Oakhurst) was the western end of the Old French Trail (Fresno Flats Trail). Built by J. S. French, it was 54 miles long and a vital east - west route for supplies, mail, equipment and pioneers through the Sierra Mountains.
It . . . — — Map (db m60307) HM
"Gold Fever" hit the streams in Madera County in 1849. Grub Gulch got its name from the fact that "miners could always pan enough gold from the river to grubstake themselves into better times."
Grub Gulch developed after the Gambetta Mine opened . . . — — Map (db m33719) HM
The San Joaquin Valley and Yosemite Railroad was incorporated on February 15, 1886 by the Southern Pacific Company. The 21 miletrack ran between Berenda and Raymond. At this location, a turntable allowed the locomotive to be turned around and . . . — — Map (db m39517) HM
The first house in Raymond was home to Charles Miller. He was the first railroad station master and stagecoach agent. He filed the homestead for Raymond and is a
substantial part of Yosemite history.
California Point of Historical Interest . . . — — Map (db m20545) HM
In 1886 the Yosemite Stage and Turnpike Co. owned by Henry Washburn started daily stage service from Raymond to Wawona and on to Yosemite Valley. The next day only the wealthy could afford the $45 round trip exiting the train at Wildcat Junction aka . . . — — Map (db m27854) HM