Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Marin County California Historical Markers

 
Site of Birds Nest Glen Marker image, Touch for more information
March 30, 2017
Site of Birds Nest Glen Marker
California (Marin County), Fairfax — CHL 679 — Site of Birds Nest Glen
The home of "Lord" Charlie Snowden Fairfax, pioneer and political leader of the 1850's, served California as an assemblyman (1853), Speaker of the Assembly (1854), and Clerk of the State Supreme Court (1856). Fairfax, a descendent of Scottish barons . . . — Map (db m102697) HM
California (Marin County), Inverness — AT&T & RCA Receiving StationsShip-to-Shore Communication
The remaining antenna fields and buildings in front of you were established by two cutting-edge worldwide communications companies in 1931. American Telephone and Telegraph (AT&T) radio-telephone station KMI provided two-way voice services between . . . — Map (db m102641) HM
California (Marin County), Inverness — Common MurresPoint Reyes National Seashore
On the rocks and ledges just below here you can often spot common murres. For a good view from this height, binoculars are helpful. If conditions are right you may hear the colony “moaning” as they huddle penguin-like on the rocks. . . . — Map (db m63383) HM
California (Marin County), Inverness — Francis Drake
On June 17, 1579 Francis Drake landed on these shores and took possession of the country calling it Nova Albion. — Map (db m102674) HM
California (Marin County), Inverness — Lives of Sacrifice and Service are Honored Here
Since 1889, United States Life-Saving Service and Coast Guard crews have risked their lives to save shipwreck victims at Point Reyes. Brave crews of highly trained men struggled in some of the worst conditions in North America, sacrificing comfort, . . . — Map (db m102689) HM
California (Marin County), Inverness — Point Reyes Light — Point Reyes National Seashore
Point Reyes Light has guided and cautioned mariners along this hazardous coast for over 100 years. Built by the U.S. Lighthouse Service in 1870, it came under management of the U.S. Coast Guard in 1939. Resident personnel operated the station until . . . — Map (db m63502) HM
California (Marin County), Inverness — Point Reyes Light Station
Point Reyes Light Station, built 1870, has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m890) HM
California (Marin County), Inverness — Preserving Our Maritime Past
The heyday of life-saving at Point Reyes is over, but this 1927 lifeboat station still stands alive with a history nearly lost along our coast. While the station preserves the last intact marine railway on the Pacific Coast, the history of ordinary . . . — Map (db m102690) HM
California (Marin County), Inverness — Providing Global CommunicationsPoint Reyes Receiving Station
The Radio Corporation of America (RCA) wireless stations on the Point Reyes Peninsula were know as the "Wireless Giant of the Pacific." The station locations and cutting-edge wireless technology developed by the company under the leadership of . . . — Map (db m102643) HM
California (Marin County), Inverness — The Rock PlantsPoint Reyes National Seashore
The wife of a lighthouse keeper once planted a small garden nearby, but with no success. As soon as the carrots sprouted the wind blew them away. Few plants can face up to the ocean’s harsh influences. On these fogbound, windblown rocks, . . . — Map (db m63363) HM
California (Marin County), Inverness — Victims of the Coast
No one knows how many cries for help went unanswered along this isolated coast. If shipwreck victims were not overcome by pounding surf, they would perish in a cold sea. But once the Life-Saving Station was established in 1889, victims of the coast . . . — Map (db m102676) HM
California (Marin County), Iverness — Point Reyes ConglomeratePoint Reyes National Seashore
The intriguing rock exposure in front of you is part of a formation that caps the highest hills in this area. The Point Reyes Conglomerate is a formation consisting of a sandy matrix embedded with pebbles, cobblestones, and boulders. Geologists . . . — Map (db m63377) HM
California (Marin County), Larkspur — 917 — Green Brae Brick Kiln
The Remillard Brick Company, of which the Green Brae Brick Kiln is the only surviving structure, was by 1900 the largest brickmaking firm on the Pacific Coast. The kiln is one of the few remaining examples of the Hoffman type kiln in the U.S. and is . . . — Map (db m63983) HM
California (Marin County), Larkspur — Greenbrae Brickyard Superintendent's Cottage
This cottage, built in 1891, once housed the superintendent for the adjacent Greenbrae Brickyard of the Remillard Brick Co., which was declared a California State Landmark in 1978. The cottage was renovated in 1985 through the cooperative . . . — Map (db m63988) HM
California (Marin County), Marshall — Beryl and Leonard Buck Hall
Originally constructed for the American Marconi Company, the powerhouse, a 2900 square foot concrete structure, housed the stations transformer, boiler, batteries and workshop. The Marshall Station, in conjunction with the Bolinas Station, made . . . — Map (db m73755) HM
California (Marin County), Marshall — Getting to Marconi
Chances are you traveled to Marconi by car or bus. Your route was partially along the Pacific Coast Highway (Hwy-1). From this vantage point it can be seen in the distance winding along the edge of Tomales Bay. At the turn of the century this was . . . — Map (db m73758) HM
California (Marin County), Mill Valley — Fall in Muir WoodsMuir Woods National Monument
Warm days, gold and crimson foliage, and migratory animals mark the season.

Sonoma chipmunks busily prepare for hibernation. They forage through the woods in search of seeds, nuts, and berries. When their cheek pouches are full, they dig a . . . — Map (db m92646)

California (Marin County), Mill Valley — Grist Mill Stones
found in Mill Valley at adobe home site of John T. Reed, first Mexican land grantee in Marin County. Donated by the family of John and Cora Gardner Burt Map (db m102475) HM
California (Marin County), Mill Valley — 207 — John Reed's Saw Mill
Two miles west is the old saw mill, from which the city of Mill Valley acquired its name. It was constructed in the 1830's by John Reed, grantee of the Rancho Corte De Madera Del Presidio. The creek waters furnished the motive power for the mill, . . . — Map (db m91858) HM
California (Marin County), Mill Valley — Mill Valley Railroad Depot
Constructed in 1929 by Northwestern Pacific Railroad, this mission revival-style depot replaced an earlier station at the same location. The first train arrived in Mill Valley in 1890 at a time when the town was called Eastland. This depot served as . . . — Map (db m102444) HM
California (Marin County), Mill Valley — CHL 922 — Outdoor Art Club
The Outdoor Art Club was designed in 1904 by Bernard Maybeck; internationally known American architect. Particularly notable for its unusual roof truss system, the building exemplifies Maybeck's creative use of natural materials. The Club, founded . . . — Map (db m102447) HM
California (Marin County), Mill Valley — Y — Preserving the Forest PrimevalMuir Woods National Monument
You are entering one of the world's last remaining ancient coast redwood forests. This magnificent forest...with its redwoods, the tallest of living things...is protected and made accessible to the public by the National Park Service for the . . . — Map (db m82387) HM
California (Marin County), Mill Valley — Redwoods and Their Relatives
The Coast Redwood belongs to the plant family Taxodiaceae, which also included fourteen other species. Members of the Taxodiaceae family are conifers that generally have soft wood, long, straight trunks, round cones, and narrow, needle-like . . . — Map (db m104063) HM
California (Marin County), Mill Valley — Reed's MillRegistered California Historical Landmark
The mill was constructed in the 1830's by John Reed and was one of the first saw mills in Northern California. The mill site was utilized in May 1890 to conduct a public land auction of land parcels that signaled the founding of the City of Mill . . . — Map (db m102449) HM
California (Marin County), Novato — (Novato) City Hall901 Sherman Avenue
After Novato was incorporated in 1960, city officials found a ready-made City Hall in the former Presbyterian Church, built in 1896. The City purchased it in 1962; it was repainted dark red with white trim and in 1963, it reopened as Novato's City . . . — Map (db m102618) HM
California (Marin County), Novato — Burdell Frame House
This two-story, clapboard structure, known as the Burdell Frame House, was built in 1874 for Mary Burdell’s cousin, Mary Joynsen. Originally a rectangle building, it has been modified with a projecting, two story addition on the end facing . . . — Map (db m13246) HM
California (Marin County), Novato — Burdell Mansion
A major significant change occurred in 1911 when James Burdell (Galen and Mary’s son) hired a contractor for the then princely sun of $15,000 to expand and convert the wood frame building into a 26-room mansion. Interior fireplaces and a second . . . — Map (db m12176) HM
California (Marin County), Novato — Camilo Ynitia’s Adobe
A shingled shed now protects the ruins of Camilo Ynitia’s adobe home from further weather damage. Dating from the late 1830’s this structure represents a period when the Wiwok were abandoning their traditional dwellings in favor of more sheltered . . . — Map (db m12105) HM
California (Marin County), Novato — DeBorba's819 Grant Avenue
Antone (Tony) V. DeBorba opened Deborba's Inn on Grant Avenue in 1906. When Prohibition forced him out of business, he leased a building at Grant and Highway 101 (now Redwood Blvd.) and opened "DeBorba's Stage Station," a favorite respite for . . . — Map (db m102600) HM
California (Marin County), Novato — Druids Hall
Originally called Loustaunau Hall, erected in 1895, where many organizations held meetings and socials for nearly 100 years. Now hall of Novato Grove Druids No. 113 — Map (db m102572) HM
California (Marin County), Novato — Druid's Hall/ Loustaunau's Hall801 Grand Avenue
In 1890, Dr, H.J. Conradt purchased two lots, where this building now stands, for $10 from the Home and Farm Company. In 1898, when John (Jean) Loustaunau decided to build his own hotel, saloon and restaurant, he and his wife purchased the lots from . . . — Map (db m102596) HM
California (Marin County), Novato — Fashion Shop800 Grant Avenue
Stephen Porcella's Fashion Shop - a blacksmith shop and iron works - was built circa 1893. This business was named the "Fashion Shop" because Porcella would "fashion a tool to suit the customer." Pprcella made and repaired iron equipment, built . . . — Map (db m102597) HM
California (Marin County), Novato — Galen and Mary Burdell
In 1852, Camilo Ynitia sold most of the Olompali land grant for $5,200 to James Black, Marin County’s Assessor. Eleven years later, Black gave the property to his daughter, Mary, when she married prominent San Francisco dentist Galem Burdell. By . . . — Map (db m12169) HM
California (Marin County), Novato — Lloyd Andrews Hamilton
Dedicated to the Memory of Lloyd Andrews Hamilton First Lieutenant 17th Areo Squadron Awarded Distinguished Service Cross for Extraordinary Heroism in Action at Varssionagre, Belgium August 18, 1918 Killed in Action Near . . . — Map (db m102756) WM
California (Marin County), Novato — Marin French Cheese Company
This site is part of Corte Madera de Novato granted by Governor Juan Alvarado to John Martin in 1840. Purchased by Jefferson A. Thompson in 1865. A working ranch and cheese making family of five generations, that continued to make the world famous . . . — Map (db m78066) HM
California (Marin County), Novato — Novato Bank826 Grant Avenue
Originally this site was occupied by a meat market and the first Novato Bank was housed temporarily in a wooden structure reportedly located on the east side of Grant Avenue. The Novato Bank was built in 1913 by the property owner, Frank Silva. The . . . — Map (db m102602) HM
California (Marin County), Novato — GPY 140-08 — Novato Bank Building826-828 Grant Avenue Novato, California
The Novato Bank (828 Grant Avenue) was built in 1913 by property owner, Frank Silva. The bank served ranchers, merchants, home builders, and the Novato area. The adjoining section of the building (826 Grant Avenue)first served as a drugstore when . . . — Map (db m102561) HM
California (Marin County), Novato — Novato History Museum
This building was the home of the first Novato Post Office - February 2, 1856. Maintained by Novato Historical Guild. — Map (db m102582) HM
California (Marin County), Novato — Novato's First Railroad Station
Constructed in 1875. Moved here from original site and restored to depict first structure relating to railroad transportation linking Marin and northern counties. — Map (db m102571) HM
California (Marin County), Novato — Old Novato City Hall901 Sherman Avenue
Originally built in 1896, this was the site of Novato's first Presbyterian Church. The church was built in the Victorian Gothic style of architecture. The building served as Novato City Hall from 1963 until it was closed for safety reasons in 2005. . . . — Map (db m64860) HM
California (Marin County), Novato — Postmaster's House815 De Long Avenue
The Postmaster's House, one of the oldest structures in Novato, was built circa 1850 and was originally located on South Novato Blvd west of Yukon Way. The earliest known occupant was Henry Jones, who began Novato's postal service in 1856 and served . . . — Map (db m102594) HM
California (Marin County), Novato — Rancho Olompali
Rancho Olompali was home to three generations of Burdells from 1866 to 1943. For the following five years the new owner, Court Harrington, used the property to raise purebred beef. In 1948, the building was converted to a religious retreat when the . . . — Map (db m85929) HM
California (Marin County), Novato — Scott General Store857 Grant Avenue
On February 4, 1890, the Sausalito News reported "A.D. Scott will erect a fine store and move his general merchandise business to the town site." Alexander Dill Scott, who emigrated from Nova Scotia, built his store at this location. The post . . . — Map (db m102617) HM
California (Marin County), Novato — Setting for a Colorful PastOlompali State Historic Park
Many have come before to this gentle land. Indians, Spaniards, Mexicans, Americans came in succession, each group influenced the land in a different way. The Coast Miwok lived here for thousands of years, even before the Egyptian pyramids were . . . — Map (db m85980) HM
California (Marin County), Point Reyes Station — Nova Albion
On June 17, 1579, Captain Francis Drake sailed his ship, Golden Hinde, into the Gulf of the Farallones and the bay that now bears his name. He sighted these white cliffs and named the land Nova Albion. During his 36 day encampment in California, . . . — Map (db m73707) HM
California (Marin County), Point Reyes Station — Portus Novae Albionus
Two plaques on the same monument make up this marker. This cove is believed by many scholars to be the site of Sir Francis Drake’s California Harbor, where he careened the Golden Hinde to repair a leak received at sea and replenished his . . . — Map (db m73706) HM
California (Marin County), Point Reyes Station — Sea Life in These WatersGulf of the Farallones & Cordell Band — National Marine Sanctuaries
Some of the world’s richest waters exist right off California’s coast. An explosion of life occurs here due to a combination of the sun’s energy, wind, ocean currents, and contours of the sea floor. Microscopic phytoplankton form the base of the . . . — Map (db m63362) HM
California (Marin County), Point Reyes Station — Whalewatching
Southern Migration
•Mexico to Artic feeding grounds •Pass Point Reyes early March through early May. . . . — Map (db m63360) HM
California (Marin County), Ross — Historic Dedication of the Lagunitas Road BridgeCorte Madera Creek — Ross, California - March 20, 2011
This structure replaces Bridge No. 27C0071, a contributing element to the Ross Historic Bridges District, eligible for inclusion in the National Register of Historic Places. The original bridge was completed on January 13, 1910 as part of a $12,500 . . . — Map (db m63939) HM
California (Marin County), Sam Rafael — CHL 924 — Wa Jen Ha LioChina Camp
There are two markers on this monument One of the earliest, largest and most productive Chinese fishing villages in California, China Camp was in operation by 1870. The Chinese immigrants and their descendants introduced the use of . . . — Map (db m102451) HM
California (Marin County), San Anselmo — The Log Cabin
Home of San Anselmo American Legion Post 179. Built by the veterans of World War I, Post Ladies Auxiliary, Boy Scout Troops and dedicated community volunteers. Construction began April 23, 1933 and was completed and dedicated May 27, 1934. . . . — Map (db m102721) WM
California (Marin County), San Rafael — Bradford House
c. 1883 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Restored by the Loder Family c. 2010 — Map (db m102757) HM
California (Marin County), San Rafael — China Camp
This spot was once the center of a thriving Chinese fishing village. Starting in the 1860s emigrants from the Kwantung province in China lived with their families and fished here. China Camp is the only surviving fishing village among many in the . . . — Map (db m102477) HM
California (Marin County), San Rafael — Dixie Schoolhouse
The Dixie Schoolhouse is the oldest one-room school in Marin County and has been in continuous use since its construction in 1864. The property was deeded to James Miller by Don Timoteo Murphy and is part of the Las Gallinas Ranch granted to Murphy . . . — Map (db m64838) HM
California (Marin County), San Rafael — Falkirk Community Cultural Center
Built in 1888 ---- Architect, Clinton Day Original owner Ella Park resided in house 1888 – 1905 Acquired in 1906 by Robert Dollar whose family owned the house until 1974. Purchased by citizens of San Rafael in November 1974. . . . — Map (db m69749) HM
California (Marin County), San Rafael — Junk Grace Quan
The Grace Quan is a reconstruction of a San Francisco Bay Shrimp junk. Between 1860 and 1910, these were the workhorse of the Bay Area's Chinese-owned dried shrimp industry. The Shrimp Junks closely resembled vessels from the fishermen's home . . . — Map (db m102478) HM
California (Marin County), San Rafael — Marin
Indian Warrior Baptized by Franciscan Fathers. A Ferryman on the San Francisco Bay, He Became Known as El Marinero (The Sailor) Died about 1835 — Map (db m102758) HM
California (Marin County), San Rafael — 999 — Marin County Civic Center
The Civic Center Complex was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright (1869-1959) near the end of his long career. The Administration Building was completed in 1962 and the Hall of Justice in 1970. They are the only government buildings designed by the . . . — Map (db m32748) HM
California (Marin County), San Rafael — 220 — Mission San Rafael ArcangelThen and Now
Founded in 1817 by Padre Vincente Sarria as an “asistencia” or adjunct to Mission Dolores. Mission San Rafael was originally designated a sanitarium for native converts suffering from San Francisco’s generally damper climate. Here, under . . . — Map (db m64864) HM
California (Marin County), San Rafael — CHL 630 — St. Vincent's School for Boys
In 1853, Timothy Murphy, Irish born pioneer of Marin County, gave 317 acres of land to Archbishop Alemany for educational purposes. Here the Sister of Charity in 1855 founded a school now called St. Vincent's School for Boys. It has been maintained . . . — Map (db m102452) HM
California (Marin County), San Rafael — The Belrose Theater
In 1976 the Cultural Affairs Commission designated this building, by virtue of its Gothic window, historically & culturally of major significance. In 1913 St. Matthew's German Evangelical Church built this structure at a cost . . . — Map (db m63858) HM
California (Marin County), San Rafael — The Gate House
The Gate House, the Boyd's guest house, was completed in 1880 by Ira B. Cook, the great grandfather of Miss Louise A. Boyd. With the adjoining park, it was donated to the City of San Rafael in 1905 and has been Marin County Historical Society's . . . — Map (db m64886) HM
California (Marin County), San Rafael — William A. Richardson
Born London 1797. Died Sausalito, California 1856. First Captain of the Port of San Francisco, builder of the first structure on the first street, Calle de la Fundacion, Yerba Buena (now Grant Ave., San Francisco) June 25, 1835. Founder also of . . . — Map (db m102775) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — Battery AlexanderRaining fire from the sky
Battery Alexander, fully armed by 1906, mounted eight 12-inch mortars designed to fire shells in a high arc - up and then down onto the decks of enemy battleships. Low-trajectory gunfire from nearby batteries, aimed close to the enemy's waterline, . . . — Map (db m102819) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — Battery Construction No. 129Last of the big gun emplacements
Never named because it was never finished, this battery was designed for the biggest, most powerful guns ever used by the United States military - 16-inch caliber weapons that fired 2,100-pound shells and could hit ships 26 miles out to sea. . . . — Map (db m102778) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — Battery Mendell
Battery Mendell's mission was to keep enemy warships farther from San Francisco's harbor than any of the earlier coastal defences were equipped to do. Built in 1905, the battery was positioned as far west on the headlands as possible and armed with . . . — Map (db m102829) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — Cold War Legacy: Missiles to Marine MammalsMarin Headlands Golden Gate National Park
The Marine Mammal Center is built on the site of the former Nike Missile Launch Area, SF 87L. In the 1950s, the army constructed two batteries in the Marin Headlands equipped with surface-to-are missiles, one near Fort Cronkhite and a second across . . . — Map (db m102832) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — Construction 129
Despite its imposing appearance, Construction 129 was never used - or even completed. It was to have been armed with 2 guns having massive, 16" diameter barrels. Each weapon weighed almost 1,000,000 pounds and could accurately fire a 2,100 pound . . . — Map (db m102784) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — Mortars to MissilesMilitary power at the Golden Gate
For the first three-quarters of the 20th century, the Marin Headlands were fortified with weapons that evolved from cannon to nuclear warheads. The guns became more and more powerful, able to hit warships miles out to sea. Antiaircraft guns appeared . . . — Map (db m102828) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — Nike Missile Site SF88
By 1945, the age of aerial warfare had fully arrived and the U.S. Army sought a weapon that could intercept enemy aircraft. In 1951, after years of research and development, a supersonic missile controlled by ground-based electronic equipment was . . . — Map (db m102818) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — Sausalito Ferry Terminals
Three plaques provide an historical overview of the the Sausalito ferry terminals. c. 1890 In 1907 the rail system in Sausalito was expanded to consolidate facilities so that interurban trains could operate only from Sausalito. . . . — Map (db m102437) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — Strengthening an IconGolden Gate Bridge Seismic Retrofit
The Golden Gate Bridge, completed in 1937, is a monument of the last century, and could be damaged by a strong earthquake. Seismic retrofit construction is underway to transform the international icon into a strong and flexible structure that can . . . — Map (db m102776) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — The Bay Transformed
For thousands of years Native Americans lived in the Bay Area harvesting animals, salt, and acorns. The changes they made to the landscape were limited. They used fire to shape oak woodlands and grasslands. cultivated plants, and collected salt in . . . — Map (db m102474) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — The Golden GateA narrow three-mile channel
Providing a narrow entrance to the west coast's most defensible harbor, the strategic value of the Golden Gate is readily apparent. Between 1776 and 1846, Spanish, then Mexican, guns defended the harbor entrance. Starting in 1846, American soldiers . . . — Map (db m102777) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — The Golden Gate Bridge
The Golden Gate Bridge is a structure of striking form and elegance. Built in 1937, it remains an indispensable link in the Bay Area's transportation network and a historical monument of civil engineering and construction. The bridge was named for . . . — Map (db m102433) HM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — The Lone Sailor
This is a memorial to every one who ever sailed out of the Golden Gate in the service of their country - in the Navy, the Marine Corps, the Coast Guard, the Merchant Marine. A ship heading for sea passes directly by this spot at the northern . . . — Map (db m69495) WM
California (Marin County), Sausalito — William RichardsonFounder of Sausalito — 1795 - 1856
In 1822, English-born Richardson arrived in San Francisco Bay on the whaler "Orion." After his baptism at Mission Dolores, he married Maria Antonia Martinez, daughter of the Commandante of the Presidio. In 1835, he founded Pueblo Yerba Buena, later . . . — Map (db m102432) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — 1870’s Ranch Shed122 Main Street
Oldest structure on Ark Row. Part of the Corinthian Island ranch. Village Salvage Shop 1958-1972. — Map (db m69441) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — 1890’s Drawbridge Gatehouse120 Main Street
Until 1920s a drawbridge connected Main Street and Beach Road. Artist’s studio for the “Society of Six”, renowned early California Painters. Moved from 130 Main Street in the 1960’s. — Map (db m69439) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — 1895 Ark Houseboat104 Main Street
Probably relocated from Belvedier Cove. Originally sited at 90 Main Street. Village Savage Shop downstairs in ‘60s. — Map (db m69363) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — 1906 Arks Victorian Influence116 Main Street
Two Arks stacked in 1975. Porch supported by Corinthian columns. Typical residence, 4 rooms + kitchen. — Map (db m69437) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — 1920 Folk Victorian Cottage108 Main Street
Moved up the street in 1960. Original siding, porch and columns. Artist’s home and studio. — Map (db m69435) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — 1920 Folk Victorian Dwelling110 Main Street
Placed here and renovated in 1960. Parking lot below was a brackish lagoon before it was filled in 1929. — Map (db m69436) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — 1920 Victorian Cottage106 Main Street
Moved here in 1960. Home of railroad workers and fishermen, Tiburon’s first settlers. — Map (db m69364) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — 1925 Victorian Saloon35 Main Street
Bay access provided a source of illegal spirits during Prohibition. — Map (db m69360) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — 600 Bunkmates
Built in 1911, this concrete barracks building could house 686 men. By WW II, Fort McDowell has quarters for about 4,500 soldiers, including fourteen additional wooden barracks that once stood between the baseball field and this 600-man barracks. . . . — Map (db m69276) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — CHL 529 — Angel Island
In 1775, the packet San Carlos, first known Spanish ship to enter San Francisco Bay, anchored in this cove while her commander, Lieut. Juan Manuel de Ayala, directed the first survey of the bay. Ayala named this island Isla de los Angeles. . . . — Map (db m69207) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — Ayala Cove
Lieut. Juan de Ayala of the Royal Spanish Navy sailed through the Golden Gate on Aug. 5, 1775. He commanded the packet-boat San Carlos, which was the first known ship in the waters of San Francisco Bay. On the 13th day of August, Ayala anchored this . . . — Map (db m69206) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — Bowling and Dollars
A great morale builder, Fort McDowell’s bowling alley opened in 1944, sporting six lanes. Fort McDowell’s bowling teams – the “Jail Birds,” “Brass Hats,” and the "McDowell Mermaids” competed against teams from . . . — Map (db m69299) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — Caring for Soldiers
This brick hospital, built in 1904, was the third hospital to be built for Camp Reynolds. The Army located hospitals treating ill and injured soldiers away from buildings housing healthy troops to prevent the spread of disease and fear. — Map (db m69249) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — Cold War Defense
In 1954 Angel Island became one of nineteen Nike Missile sites in the Bay Area. There were three underground magazines, each storing 12 Nike – Ajax anti-aircraft missiles. The missiles had a range of 25 miles and were raised to the surface by . . . — Map (db m69253) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — Defending the Bay
Battery Ledyard, built in 1899, was one of three Angel Island batteries installed to defend San Francisco Bay. Located at Point Knox, it was armed with two five-inch wire wound guns. Battery Ledyard was named for Lt. August C. Ledyard, 6th Infantry, . . . — Map (db m69251) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — Dr. Lyford's Stone Tower
THE STONE TOWER (also called the Stone Lodge, the Castle, or just Lyford's Tower) was designed and built about 1889 by the San Francisco architect Gustav A. Behrnd for Dr. Benjamin F. Lyford, retired inventor, physician and scientist, as the gateway . . . — Map (db m91807) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — Fleming Rooming House72 Main Street
1889 Rebuilt in 1918 Spiral staircase added in 1956 On pilings until lagoon was filled in 1929. Mrs. Fleming only rented to railroad workers ‘of good character’. — Map (db m69362) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — Fort McDowell’s General Store
The Post Exchange, or PX, was built in 1910 to be a “one stop shopping place” for soldiers at Fort McDowell. Soldiers purchased clothing toiletries, and other supplies here. The PX also offered a restaurant, soda fountain, barbershop, . . . — Map (db m69279) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — Guarding the Post
The Guard House served as headquarters for the Officers of the Guard and the Sergeant of the Guard, and as quarters for soldiers assigned to guard detail. Guard duty could last a day, a week, or longer. Guards patrolled their post for 24-hour . . . — Map (db m69278) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — Honoring the Contributions of Chinese Immigrants紀念華人殺輯的露蹴 — Commemorative Monument / 紀念碑
In 1979, local restaurant owner "Trader" Vic Bergeron donated this monument in recognition of the contributions of Chinese immigrants to America. Originally located at the site of the former Asiatic Dining Hall, it was relocated to this overlook in . . . — Map (db m91809) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — James Yeh Jau Liu
At this site – 34 Main St. James Yeh Jau Liu (1910 - 2003) World Renowned Chinese Watercolorist and Tiburon’s Artist Laureate Operated Han Syl Studio from 1967 to 2003 Over the 35 years of offering his paintings to . . . — Map (db m69203) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — McNeil’s Pioneer Boathouse
-1886- Rented Boats, Arks, and Cottages — Map (db m69205) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — Ministering to all Faiths
This chapel ministered to soldiers of all faiths. Built in 1942, in a style similar to other military chapels, it featured a vaulted ceiling and fiber board walls to enhance acoustics. Chapel services included “...Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, . . . — Map (db m69298) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — Northwestern Pacific
This palm tree marks the location of the Northwestern Pacific Railroad yard. From April 28, 1884 to September 25, 1967 hundred of workers toiled to keep the railroad system and ferry boats operating. — Map (db m69359) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — Play Games
If you listen carefully, you can hear the crack of a bat and soldiers cheering as a Fort McDowell “Indian” rounds third base and heads for home – Cole Field. The ball park was home to the men’s baseball team, the . . . — Map (db m69275) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — Protecting the Public Health
In 1891 the U.S. Marine Hospital Service, now the U.S. Public Health Service, opened a Quarantine Station in Ayala Cove. Marine Hospital Service officers inspected ships looking for signs of illness among the passengers and crew. If contagious . . . — Map (db m69248) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — Samuel Blake ChapmanGenuine Hometown Hero
Samuel was born to Catherine and Charles Chapman of Mar West Street in Tiburon on April 11, 1916. He worked in his father’s merchandise store on Main Street and delivered mail for his father who also served as Tiburon’s Postmaster from 1915 to 1941. . . . — Map (db m69305) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — Shipping Out and Coming HomeFort McDowell
During WW I and WW II, Fort McDowell served as a Recruit Depot and later as an overseas Discharge and Replacement Depot. While some soldiers were stationed at Fort McDowell, others were here for only a week before being shipped overseas. During . . . — Map (db m69280) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — The “Harbor Light”
Built ca. 1922 after an earlier building was destroyed in the 1921 fire that burned most of downtown Tiburon. This two-story structure originally held a billiards hall and soft drink parlor which is believed to have operated as an illegal saloon . . . — Map (db m69201) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — The Army Moves InCamp Reynolds
In 1863, Civil War was raging in the East and the threat of Confederate ships sailing into San Francisco Bay was real. The United States Army responded by sending Company B of the 3rd Artillery to establish Camp Reynolds as an artillery post on . . . — Map (db m69250) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — The Post Expands
Fort McDowell’s North Garrison was built in 1942 on the area below following the 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor. North Garrison included several barracks, a 1600-man mess hall, an infirmary, a guard house, and a post exchange. It also included the . . . — Map (db m70259) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — Treating the Troops
Construction for this 70-bed hospital began in 1911. The hospital treated soldiers returning from overseas for discharge. In 1918, the hospital annex was added to care for men with lingering illnesses. During the Nike Missile period . . . — Map (db m69301) HM
California (Marin County), Tomales — Tomales
Once the land of the Miwok, Tomales was founded in 1850 by John Keys who shipped potatoes to San Francisco and Warren Dutton who opened the Post Office in 1854. Shipping ended with the siltation of the estuary. From 1875 to 1930 the narrow gauge . . . — Map (db m54753) HM
California (Marin County), Tomales — Tomales Presbyterian Church
Founded 1865 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United State Department of the Interior 38.2453, -122.907 — Map (db m102639) HM
California (Marin County), Tomales — Tomales Town Hall
Erected and acquired in 1874 by the Tomales Temperance Social Club, this is one of the oldest continuously used public halls in California. Renovated after the 1906 Earthquake, maintained by town hall trustees and local volunteers, it has served as . . . — Map (db m88400) HM
California (Marin County), Tomales — Warren Dutton House - Tomales Community Park
Warren Dutton, (1823-1903) co-founder of Tomales, came here from the gold fields in 1852, staked a claim to what is now known as Upper Town, and became partners with John Keys. Within a few years the relationship deteriorated, but the bitter rivalry . . . — Map (db m54784) HM

113 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement