This historic grist mill known as the “Bale Mill” was erected by Dr. E.T. Bale, Grantee Carne Humana Rancho, in 1846. The mill with its surrounding land was deeded to the Native Sons of the Golden West by Mrs. W.W. Lyman. Restored . . . — — Map (db m18672) HM
The site of the City Hall originally held the Bedlam Opera House, named after a niece of Sam Brannan, founder of Calistoga. Burned to the ground at the turn of the Century, it was rebuilt and completed in 1902.
Originally built to house . . . — — Map (db m18560) HM
Built by Sam Brannan for the Napa Valley Railroad in 1868 one year before the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad. Second oldest remaining railroad station in California. Northern terminus of the Napa Valley Railroad and its successors the . . . — — Map (db m54522) HM
The Calistoga Sam Brannan center, including the Sharpsteen Museum and the Sam Brannan Cottage, is dedicated to Calistoga’s early pioneers.
The complex, named for Sam Brannan, Calistoga’s original entrepreneur, will preserve and perpetuate the . . . — — Map (db m18587) HM
Edward Bale sailed from England to California in the 1830s and settled in Monterey where he was named surgeon-in chief of the Mexican Army by General Mariano Vallejo. In 1839 he married Vallejo’s niece, Maria Soberanes, and in 1841 was granted a . . . — — Map (db m18635) HM
Just a stones throw to the north, running through the Palisades, is Oat Hill Mine Road.
A narrow and picturesque trail today, it was once used to carry over 160,000 flasks of quicksilver valued at more than $5,000,000 from the Oat Hill Mine to the . . . — — Map (db m54750) HM
The petrified forest, dating from the Eocene Period, is the only known example of a petrified forest in California. Its size, scope and variety of petrification is unique in the world. Opalized wood, obsidian, quartz crystal, petrified coral and . . . — — Map (db m101552) HM
Dating back to the 1860’s, this cemetery served as a final resting place for many of the famous of Napa Valley pioneers. It wasn’t until 1885 that this cemetery site was surveyed and was permanently established as a cemetery known today as Pioneer . . . — — Map (db m54525) HM
Born in Virginia in 1806, Reason moved west in successive leaps and arrived in California in 1846 escaping by one day the Sierra snow that trapped the Donner Party. "Captain" Tucker led the first and participated in, later rescue efforts. Reason . . . — — Map (db m40745) HM
Founded in 1862 by Jacob Schram. This was the first hillside winery of the Napa Valley. Robert Louis Stevenson, visiting here in 1880, devoted a chapter of his “Silverado Squatters” to Schramsberg and its wines. Ambrose Bierce and Lilly . . . — — Map (db m52168) HM
These buildings were constructed alongside the Embarcadero de Napa by Captain Albert Hatt, a seafarer who came to California in 1864. The building was used as a warehouse and for sale of merchandise. The second floor housed a roller rink. The 1886 . . . — — Map (db m54770) HM
Historic Events in Napa History
Alan Sheep's historical mosaic reveals the Napa Valley's role in the epic of the American West. The work of art captures the essence of the Napa Valley story, its glories and its tragedies.
"The . . . — — Map (db m92524) HM
This was the former site of Napa's original Embarcadero and home of two Banner warehouses constructed in 1862 and later acquired by Charles Carpy for wine storage. Captain A. Hatt purchased the property in 1895 for storage. Behind the current . . . — — Map (db m92486) HM
About 200 feet north of this site, a short distance from the Napa River ford, stood Don Salvador Vallejo’s Casa Las Trancas, headquarters for his Rancho Napa— a land grant of over 3000 acres. Established in the 1840’s and known as “The . . . — — Map (db m84129) HM
Francis Cutting was born in Lowell, Massachusetts in 1834 and arrived in San Francisco in 1858. After establishing himself in the fruit packing business he sought to expand operations to fruit growing as well and looked here for a wharf site and . . . — — Map (db m54605) HM
Named in honor of Davis Ernest Cavagnaro, who served as a director of the Napa Town and Country Fair board for 20 years. A devoted, active circus fan, originator of Napa’s fair parades, civic minded citizen who was lovingly known as Mayor of East . . . — — Map (db m54576) HM
Near this site was located the Embarcadero de Napa. While the exact date of establishment is unknown, it is recorded that Captain John Sutter sent his schooner Sacramento here in 1844 to get lime from Nicholas Higuerra, the first nonnative . . . — — Map (db m25754) HM
Designed by pioneer architects R.H. Daly and Theodore Eisen, this church is an outstanding example of late Victorian Gothic architectural styling. It is the best surviving example in this region of early works associated with Eisen, who later became . . . — — Map (db m18781) HM
Requiring more space to expand his warehousing operations, Captain Hatt added this two story building in 1886, to accommodate the increasing demand for storage for wine and spirits. The brick facing was made from brick obtained from the San Quentin . . . — — Map (db m92523) HM
This small building was constructed by Captain A. Hatt in 1893 with an accompanying wharf. This building may have been the first in Napa constructed of poured-in-place concrete reinforced with twisted square rebar. A rolling door in the southwest . . . — — Map (db m92487) HM
The Hay Barn was constructed in 1959 after an earlier hay barn building burned in the 1958 inferno. The building was rebuilt to allow sunken drive through access for hay trucks through the Main Street opening. The building is constructed of a myriad . . . — — Map (db m92488) HM
James Clyman - Trapper and Explorer. Prominent in opening the Far West. He was with Jedediah Smith in 1824 at South Pass. Prepared the way for the pre-Gold Rush pioneers. Settled in Napa County in 1848. — — Map (db m54549) HM
Near this site in 1856, John M. Patchett, native of England, opened the first commercial winery in the Napa Valley. Patchett's Grove Winery produced over 6,000 gallons of wine shipped to fine restaurants in San Francisco. The vineyard extended from . . . — — Map (db m91340) HM
"Sewing Machine Johnson" - built this carriage house with the expectation that his sewing machine, horse drawn buggy & bicycle business would soon be relocated and transformed into a luxury automobile showroom and repair shop. In 1914 James H. . . . — — Map (db m91391) HM
On April 8th, 1944 while flying a routine combat training mission over Napa, Army Air Force Lt. Murphy's aircraft went out of control at 5,000 feet and plunged into the Napa River, not far from this site.
Lt. Murphy, a veteran combat pilot . . . — — Map (db m92526) HM
Last surviving native-stone winery in Napa. Built and operated by Joseph Mathews (Mateus), a native of Portugal, this winery produced a variety of wines including prize-winning sherry. Mathews was a pioneer in the exportation of fine Napa wines to . . . — — Map (db m16731) HM
First constructed 1892-3.
Restored under volunteer leadership of Solano-Napa Builders Exchange through contributions and skilled labor of these citizens and organizations of Napa County.
Dedicated April 13, 1985
Native Sons of the . . . — — Map (db m16404) HM
Situated on 192 acres of Rancho Tulocay land purchased from Don Cayetano Juarez, this hospital opened its doors in November 1875. The central building was constructed of native stone and millions of bricks made on this site. Over the years the . . . — — Map (db m54613) HM
The Napa Valley Railroad ran from Soscol Landing, the most northerly terminus of the larger bay steamers, north 4.5 miles to this site in Napa City. Ground was broken on November 21, 1864, and by January 1865 the grade and track laying was . . . — — Map (db m54595) HM
Historic Commerce Along Napa River
As other modes of transportation became more dominant, the waterfront declined. But in the 21st century, Napa has turned again to embrace the river. Much of the riverfront as been redesigned and . . . — — Map (db m92484) HM
Napa's China Town
Napa’s China Town was situated on both sides of First Street from this point west to Napa Creek. It occupied the area south of First to the Napa River where the Joss House stood near the juncture of . . . — — Map (db m54550) HM
The Napa Native Sons of the Golden West hall was constructed by the order in 1914. The three story steel-framed brick building is a heritage property and an excellent example of civic properties in Napa. It was the tallest structure in Downtown for . . . — — Map (db m106386) HM
Built in 1893, the Oberon was the hub of activity in downtown Napa. Patrons could buy a cigar, get a shave and a haircut for two bits, or relax with a cold beer while playing a leisurely game of pool or cards. Many a shoe was shined here. In 1932 . . . — — Map (db m69324) HM
First stone and oldest surviving commercial building in Napa. Built by Philip Pfeiffer as brewery 1875. Other uses included "Stone Saloon" and Sam Kee Laundry (1920's-1970's). Italianate front represents a much earlier style of wooden construction . . . — — Map (db m16416) HM
Built by Bartolomeo Semorile and designed by Napa architect Luther M. Turton as an outstanding example of Victorian commercial architecture.
The Semorile family came to Napa in 1869 and started their grocery business just east of this site. . . . — — Map (db m16477) HM
Napa Milling Company demolished earlier buildings to construct this building in 1932 which was later to include the 84' tall silos constructed in 1944 and the hoppers placed in 1965. The Silo Building was home to the egg candling operation. The big . . . — — Map (db m92489) HM
Built by Elijah True at the junction of the county road from Napa City and Old Ferry Road, now Soscol, which served the Soscol Ferry Crossing at Napa River west of here. The thriving transportation center developed here from the stagecoach and wagon . . . — — Map (db m54838) HM
Long considered nature's thoroughfare for pioneer settlement and development, the Napa River has played a major role in the growth and prosperity of Napa County. From its headwaters near Mt. St. Helena to its southern mouth merging with San . . . — — Map (db m92527) HM
When E.A. Winship arrived from Minneapolis in 1887, it became clear that he was a gentleman and that he had money to invest. In March 1888, he purchased this site for $15,000 and announced plans for a brick building. This building, designed by . . . — — Map (db m54531) HM
This is one of California's exceptional Twentieth Century folk art environments. Over a period of 30 years, Emanuele 'Litto' Damonte (1892-1985), with the help of his neighbors, collected more than 2,000 hubcaps. All around Hubcap Ranch are . . . — — Map (db m41663) HM
At the crossroads of Howell Mountain and Pope Valley Roads, the Pope Valley Garage came into existence in 1915 to provide repairs for farm equipment, cars, trucks, tractors and towing as Pope Valley began to grow. In 1927 the Pope Valley Garage was . . . — — Map (db m57622) HM
Standing at the crossroads of Pope Valley, this store was the center of activities for the area's residents for nearly a century, and served as a stopover for people traveling to the mines in Lake County. It was built about 1875 and in 1913 a second . . . — — Map (db m54772) HM
Henry Haus, a native of Switzerland, came to Pope Valley in 1889 at the age of 16. He opened his blacksmith shop in the adjacent wooden structure in 1897, caring for the needs of this valley until 1950.
In 1899 he married Regula Anna and they . . . — — Map (db m57623) HM
The Christian Brothers started their wine business September 2, 1882, at Martinez, California. On May 29, 1930, they bought the Mont La Salle property from Theodore Gier and began to move winery equipment and 54,000 gallons of wine from Martinez to . . . — — Map (db m59951) HM
Built by Frederick and Jacob Beringer, natives of Mainz, Germany. This winery has the unique distinction of never having ceased operations since its founding in 1876. Here, in the European tradition, were dug underground wine tunnels hundreds of . . . — — Map (db m18734) HM
Cesare Mondavi, an Italian immigrant, settled first in Minnesota in 1908. After a brief career in the iron mines, he opened a saloon. In 1922 he moved his family to California’s Central Valley, where he became an independent fruit shipper, sending . . . — — Map (db m18701) HM
In 1858 Swiss-German John Thomann arrived in California and, by 1874, had built this winery. He built his family home next to the winery in 1884. The Sutter family purchased a small vineyard nearby in 1891 to supply their wine and spirits business . . . — — Map (db m54749) HM
Charles Krug, a Prussian immigrant with controversial political beliefs for which he was briefly jailed, finally arrived in San Francisco in 1852. He likely came with no grape-growing or winemaking experience, but his insight, thirst, and inherent . . . — — Map (db m54535) HM
Founded in 1861 by Charles Krug (1825 – 1892). This is the oldest operating winery in Napa Valley. The pioneer wine maker of this world famous wine region, Krug made the first commercial wine in Napa County in 1858, at Napa. — — Map (db m18693) HM
The Hudson House, constructed in 1852, was residence of David Hudson, a California pioneer involved in the Bear Flag Revolt. That revolt is credited with the design of the California State Flag and established California as a republic.
In 1883, . . . — — Map (db m18702) HM
Felix Salmina arrived from Switzerland in the 1860’s and in 1892 purchased this winery that had been established in 1884 by Lillian Hitchcock Coit. Felix converted the winery into a larger facility using stone quarried from nearby hills and expanded . . . — — Map (db m18601) HM
Placed to commemorate the founding of the Nichelini Winery in 1890 by Anton Nichelini. Here on the southern slope of Sage Canyon he and his wife Caterina built their home and winery and raised twelve children. Ownership passed to eldest son, . . . — — Map (db m54839) HM
The Native Sons of the Golden West Hall has served for more than a century as a gathering place and social center of community activity within St. Helena. It is situated just outside the SW edge of the St. Helena Historic Commercial District, which . . . — — Map (db m55661) HM
A fine example of Victorian architecture, this building was erected in 1892 by M. G. Richie. For many years it has served the city’s business community. In 1893 the hall and banquet rooms upstairs were leased to Saint Helena Lodge No. 93 Free & . . . — — Map (db m54543) HM
In 1880 Robert Louis Stevenson, for health reasons, spent a week with his bride in one of Sam Brannan’s cottages in Calistoga. He then spent nearly two months on Mt. St. Helena at the old Silverado Mine, scene of the Silverado Squatters. — — Map (db m54565) HM
Sophie Alstrom Mitchell
From 1862 to 1882
noted for her water color paintings
of California wildflowers
Dedicated April 16, 1988
Napa County Chapter, California Native Plant Society
Napa County Museum . . . — — Map (db m91726) HM
Departed this life February 1953
Located on the hill to the east and south of this point was a haven of comfort to many a man from the late 1800’s until closed in 1953. Condemned by certain elements of our society yet venerated by others that . . . — — Map (db m54583) HM
One and one half miles north of here, at the second crossing of Chiles Creek, is the spot known as “Whiskey Crossing”. Although shrouded in folklore, the origin of the name is based upon a probable incident that took place in the early . . . — — Map (db m54591) HM
Situated on what was once a Mexican Land Grant to Dr. Edward Bale, White Sulphur Springs was discovered in 1848 and a resort was opened in 1852, making this California’s oldest. Wealthy San Franciscans traveled here in the latter half of the 19th . . . — — Map (db m82602) HM
Dedicated to the honor of the men who were mustered in San Francisco to serve in the companies A, E, F, L, and M of the 2nd Regiment, Massachusetts Volunteer Cavalry, 1862-1865.
Dedicated by Company A, “The California 100" re-enactors . . . — — Map (db m54755) HM
In 1870, the year in which the Groezinger Winery (now Vintage 1870) was built, these flags: the California Bear flag (note how much more primitive in design it is in contrast with the present day version) and the American flag (then with 37 stars) . . . — — Map (db m103540) HM
George Yount, American frontiersman, was born in North Carolina in 1794. When he was 10 years old Yount moved with his family to Missouri and in 1831 he came to California. Yount received a large tract of land in the Napa Valley from the Mexican . . . — — Map (db m103536) HM
Interred in this spot are the ashes of the Wappo village Kaymus (Caymus) Indian Tribe, who in the American Period were known as the George C. Yount Indians. This tribe cremated their dead and all their articles, usually on a pyre or in a sweat . . . — — Map (db m16578) HM
George Calvert Yount (1794-1865) was the first United States citizen to be ceded a Spanish land grant in Napa Valley (1836). Skilled hunter, frontiersman, craftsman and farmer, he was the true embodiment of all the finest qualities of an advancing . . . — — Map (db m18632) HM
This winery, once known as one of the finest cellars in the State, was erected by Mr. G. Groezinger in 1870. The winery stands on part of the original land grant made to Salvador Vallejo by the government of Mexico in 1838. Vintner Groezinger . . . — — Map (db m103539) HM
On March 7, 1874, the map of Groeziner's addition to Yountville was filed and recorded. This plaque is on a portion of "the lot plotted by G. Groezinger as a flower garden." Therefore it is dedicated in his memory.
Yountville Firemen's Auxiliary . . . — — Map (db m103537) HM
Napa P.O.W. Camp
At the request of Great Britain, over 700 POW camps were built within the USA to help alleviate the overcrowding of British camps. On August 14, 1945, three months after Germany surrendered and the day before Japan surrendered, . . . — — Map (db m98282) HM
In this vicinity stood the log blockhouse constructed in 1836 by George Calvert Yount, pioneer settler in Napa County. Nearby was his adobe house in 1837. And across the bridge his grist and saw mills, erected before 1845. Born in North Carolina in . . . — — Map (db m18737) HM
This bell cast in 1848, hung from 1854 until 1896 in the Pioneer Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). On demolition of the church, the bell was rescued by Senator C.L. LaRue. Presented by the Ellis McLanahan family, In the interest of local . . . — — Map (db m49553) HM
Established in 1884 by Mexican War Veterans and members of the Grand Army of the Republic who recognized the need for a home for California’s aged and disabled veterans. In January 1897 the Veterans Home Association deeded the home and its 910 acres . . . — — Map (db m18743) HM
Yount town site was established by George C. Yount in 1855 at the southern boundary of his Rancho Caymus encompassing Madison Street and the area north thereof. The original site contained four full and two partial blocks including six streets: . . . — — Map (db m54575) HM
Built in 1926 on land donated to the Catholic archbishop by the DeBenadetti Family. The hall opened April 17, 1926 and soon became the focal point of social life throughout the Valley.
In 1956 use of the hall was restricted to church functions . . . — — Map (db m49365) HM
On this site in April, 1929, the County of Napa built Yountville's first fire house, with Homer Douglas serving as volunteer fire chief and Silvio Tonascia as assistant fire chief. The county provided a 1929 Fageol fire truck to be used by the . . . — — Map (db m49605) HM